• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rollerdrome - Reveal Trailer

What a weird ass game LOL but... loving the art direction and follow thru. I'm hoping we get a little more information on what's actually happening.

CamHostage

Roll7 (makers of OlliOlli and Not a Hero) going 3D, I hope they come back.

(*They also made Laser League, which was 3D, but that's not so well known as theirs.)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Looks good to me. I'll never play it because I'm sure I'd get bodied (this is PVP right) but the shot of them skating out of the arena and back through is pure OlliOlli.

Can’t wait to play this. Definitely a day one for me. Love the art style and roller combat.

tumblr_mpexcyrmKz1sr9u4xo3_500.gifv

The idea isn't half bad but it looks a little stiff.

Now I want a Tony Hawk Pro Skater Battle Royale with AR-15s.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Big surprise for me! This looked really cool. I'm sure it will be a Day 1 on PS+ like Stray 🤩

PS+ will now be the best place to launch Day 1 for indie devs.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sable meets Jet Set Radio meets Tony Hawk meets firearms... ???

totally absurd. Looks fun though.

skit_data

I think this looks pretty damn cool, like a third person shooter THPS mashup. I hope it launches into PS+ Extra!

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Hands On: Rollerdrome Feels Utterly Phenomenal to Play

We preview the first six levels

rollerdrome-feels-utterly-phenomenal-to-play-hands-on-1.large.jpg

There's a real sense of speed, motion, and style fuelling Rollerdrome that can only be matched by the early Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games of the PS1 era. The second game in the space of six months from British team Roll7 feels sublime to play, asking you to kill enemies with a touch of swagger in between performing tricks and grinds for a high score.

We've had the chance to play the game's first six levels, and all we want to do is write this Hands On article as quickly as possible so we can get straight back to rollerblading. The OlliOlli World developer has something special on its hands.

The setup is this: you're competing in a deadly sport in the year 2030 where entrants must post a high score through a combination of stylish tricks and kills. Your guns have limited ammunition, and so after popping off the 12 or so bullets in the chambers of your dual pistols, you'll get that ammo back by landing tricks. This creates the game's loop: you'll eliminate as many enemies on the skate park as you can, all the while replenishing your ammo reserves as you go via wallrides and nose grabs. The round is complete once every foe on the field is dead, and then you'll have your score.

rollerdrome-feels-utterly-phenomenal-to-play-hands-on-2.large.jpg

Enemies start off fairly basic, equipped with simple batons that hardly ever pose a problem. However, the game's first six levels quickly ratchet up the difficulty with snipers, tanks, and teleporting rivals to think about. Your health pool is fairly small, so these threats must be incorporated into your flow as you dodge a sniper shot in mid-air and then return to performing tricks and getting your ammo back. It turns the title into something more akin to a dance; kill a few weaker enemies, reload your weaponry as you dodge their own attacks, and then return to down more powerful foes.

When it all lines up correctly, Rollerdrome feels incredible to play. The intuitive control system comes naturally after just a couple of rounds, and it's a genuine joy to engage with. We continually fired up previous levels just to experience that flow, motion, and speed all over again and improve on our scores — it never, ever gets boring. We're lining up routes and strategies in our sleep at this point: tackle the first two enemies, get our ammo back with a few tricks on the nearby half pipe, then move onto the sniper sat atop their perch, and finish by grinding up to the tank and down it with shotgun shells. One more time: it feels unbelievable to play.

And to dispel any fears or myths: Rollerdrome is a purely single player experience. The only online functionality to speak of is leaderboards that compare your scores to the rest of the world, which is an essential feature for a game of this ilk.

rollerdrome-feels-utterly-phenomenal-to-play-hands-on-3.large.jpg

rollerdrome-feels-utterly-phenomenal-to-play-hands-on-5.large.jpg

rollerdrome-feels-utterly-phenomenal-to-play-hands-on-4.large.jpg

rollerdrome-feels-utterly-phenomenal-to-play-hands-on-6.large.jpg

The first six levels have taught us how to flow successfully; we cannot wait to see what awaits us as we push further into the competition and experience its final stages. If Rollerdrome keeps up its sensational sense of flow and style, and continues to couple it with new stages and enemies to change your approach, then this is easily one of 2022's best PS5, PS4 titles. It's a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game in all but name — and what your feet are planted in just so happens to be different.

The first six levels of Rollerdrome alone have already provided us with truly wondrous moments and feelings; it's almost a privilege to know there's so much more to come.

Rollerdrome releases for PS5 and PS4 on 16th August 2022, and a PS Plus Premium Trial will be made available at launch.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We take a final hands-on skate with Rollerdrome, a unique action game from the makers of OlliOlli World that blends Tony Hawk's Pro Skater-style extreme sports tricks with third-person shooting. Rollerdrome will be released for PC (via Steam), PS4, and PS5 on August 16.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
rollerdrome

Rollerdrome​

My Rollerdrome Preview Is Late Because I Can’t Stop Playing It

It’s Tuesday morning. I’m late. I’ve missed the embargo deadline for Rollerdrome. Across the games press, website authors have already published previews and stories about their time playing Roll7’s blood-packed sports title.

But I can’t stop playing Rollerdrome.
Instead of writing, I once again queue the Barbican Arena competition, the last leg in my six-level demo. The level begins in a long, claustrophobic tunnel lit in red light. I have everything I need – rollerskates and a shotgun – to put on the show of a lifetime. Ahead of me are echoes of a crowd clapping in unison, an ominous metronome inviting me further past the steel-latched mouth of the arena. They paid for a show, and I’m going to give it to them.

paul_r_-_03_mountain_sniper_-_7_seconds.gif

Rollerdrome is a bloodsport funded by a mega-corporation in a near-future dystopia. Challengers travel the globe, competing in industrial arenas to climb the ranks of a televised competition – all to distract the public from a grim reality. Each match-up shares a simple-but-effective formula: drop into an arena, kill corporate-owned militia units, and skate for your life. It’s like Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater but with guns. It’s great.

Everything in the arena wants to kill you. Snipers, rocket-wielding commanders, riot guards, and even mechs are all constantly targeting you. One of the game’s challenges is to know when to strike or evade, a hard lesson I learned after a few deaths. If you run out of ammunition, you must perform skate tricks to generate more. Low on health? Kill enemies to regenerate or quickly escape by grinding a nearby rail. If a sniper nest is out of reach, gain some air on a nearby half pipe to close the distance.

rd_previews_screenshot03.png

Rollerdrome is fast-paced and full of spectacle, but it’s never unmanageable, thanks to the game’s bullet-time feature. Upon entering bullet time, which you can trigger almost any time, everything slows down, giving time to line up cinematic kill shots easily. Certain weapons have unique secondary mechanics that activate while in slow motion. The shotgun, in particular, has a fatal slug shot requiring an additional timed button press similar to an active reload, and it’s delightful to wield. Bullet time makes it easy to switch between slow motion and real-time while stringing together combos, creating a hypnotic flow state I never want to end.

“Kara Hassan: Match Victory,” a faceless commentator announces after I extinguish the last of my opponents in the arena.

It’s too early to share a final judgment – I’ve only played a small demo of a larger project – but Rollerdrome could be in the running for the best-feeling game of the year. We’ll have to wait to find out when it releases on August 16.

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Rollerdrome soundtrack by Electric Dragon skates onto Spotify​

medium_rollerdrome_soundtrack_cover.jpg

The soundtrack for Rollerdrome by Electric Dragon debuts today on streaming platforms. The dystopian third-person action shooter is by OlliOlli series developer Roll7, published by Private Division for Windows operating systems and PlayStation consoles.

Earlier today, the PlayStation Blog posted "How Rollerdrome’s composer created the sound of 2030," a question-and-answer session with the Rollerdrome composer on the music score's dark retro-futuristic synth beats.

"I basically tackled the soundtrack as if it was sort of from the angle of the 70’s looking forward," the composer says. "And then I was inspired a bit by lots of different things really: 70’s pioneers like Vangellis, Wendy Carlos, Philip Glass, Giorgio Moroder, Tangerine Dream… lots of inspiration from lots of places!"

Rollerdrome launches for Windows through Steam, PS4 and PlayStation 5 on August 16th. The 20-track soundtrack album—streaming on YouTube Music, Spotify and Amazon Music Unlimited—includes arrangements by Cartridge 1987, Vincenzo Salvia, Nightcrawler and Lhasa Mencur.

From the product page:
Rollerdrome is a singleplayer third person action shooter that seamlessly blends high-octane combat with fluid motion to create an action experience like no other. Dominate with style in cinematic, visceral combat where kills net you health and pulling off tricks and grinds provide you ammunition, in this adrenaline-pumping action shooter.

The year is 2030. In a world where corporations rule and the lines between reality and performance are blurred, the public are kept distracted by the violence and excess of a brutal new blood sport — Rollerdrome. Will you have what it takes to become the Rollerdrome champion and unravel the mysteries behind the Matterhorn corporation’s true intentions
PlayStation Blog - How Rollerdrome’s composer created the sound of 2030

YouTube Music - Rollerdrome Soundtrack

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Rollerdrome soundtrack by Electric Dragon skates onto Spotify​

medium_rollerdrome_soundtrack_cover.jpg

The soundtrack for Rollerdrome by Electric Dragon debuts today on streaming platforms. The dystopian third-person action shooter is by OlliOlli series developer Roll7, published by Private Division for Windows operating systems and PlayStation consoles.

Earlier today, the PlayStation Blog posted "How Rollerdrome’s composer created the sound of 2030," a question-and-answer session with the Rollerdrome composer on the music score's dark retro-futuristic synth beats.

"I basically tackled the soundtrack as if it was sort of from the angle of the 70’s looking forward," the composer says. "And then I was inspired a bit by lots of different things really: 70’s pioneers like Vangellis, Wendy Carlos, Philip Glass, Giorgio Moroder, Tangerine Dream… lots of inspiration from lots of places!"

Rollerdrome launches for Windows through Steam, PS4 and PlayStation 5 on August 16th. The 20-track soundtrack album—streaming on YouTube Music, Spotify and Amazon Music Unlimited—includes arrangements by Cartridge 1987, Vincenzo Salvia, Nightcrawler and Lhasa Mencur.

From the product page:

PlayStation Blog - How Rollerdrome’s composer created the sound of 2030

YouTube Music - Rollerdrome Soundtrack

Soundtrack is awesome, I’m streaming it now.

jaysius

Banned
Great soundtrack, looks very novel, and when the novelty wears off it'll probably be just a dash to the finish to get the game over with.

This screams Plus Extra game, if they don't get it in that program, they've missed the bus.

reksveks

This screams Plus Extra game, if they don't get it in that program, they've missed the bus.
Think I mentioned it before but getting a trial and a discount for Extra users. Whether that has any impact on the possibility of it being 'free' at launch via Extra, who knows.

Top Bottom