• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa and SaGa Scarlet Grace coming to America and Europe [PS4, Switch,PC]

D.Final

Banned
Announced now, at the Square Enix E3 2019 conference.

Update:

Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions coming west

Romancing SaGa 3 is coming to North America and Europe for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, PC, iOS, and Android, and SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions for PlayStation 4, Switch, PC, iOS, and Android, Square Enix announced at its E3 2019 press conference.

yKBxKqy.jpg

Here is an overview of each game, via Square Enix:

Romancing SaGa 3
Developed by industry veterans including legendary developer Akitoshi Kawazu, director of Romancing SaGa, SaGa Frontier, and The Final Fantasy Legend, Romancing SaGa 3 originally released in Japan in 1995. This brand-new HD remaster introduces optimized graphics, new dungeons to explore, new scenarios to experience and a new game+ function.
Romancing SaGa 3 will be available on the Nintendo Switch system, PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation Vita handheld entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One X, Windows 10, Steam, the App Store, and Google Play.
SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions
SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions, an enhanced version of SaGa: Scarlet Grace, which originally released only in Japan in 2016. Newcomers and longtime fans of the franchise can shape their own adventures with one of four protagonists, Urpina, Taria, Balmant, and Leonard, each with their own unique storyline, allowing players to enjoy four different RPGs in one title.
With its first Western release, Ambitions builds upon the original Japanese release with a variety of improvements and additions to the original, including new and improved graphics, character voice-overs, weapons, skills and more. In addition, players will have access to more than 70 allies to potentially add to their party and test out different battle strategies with the new turn-based timeline system as they conquer new scenarios, monsters and bosses on their journey.
SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions will be available on the Nintendo Switch system, PlayStation 4, Steam, the App Store, and Google Play.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That is probably one of the best news today ;)

Which version of Romancing SaGa?

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I played the translated ROM of RS3 many years ago, great game! No idea about Scarlet Grace though.

D.Final

Banned
Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions coming west

Romancing SaGa 3 is coming to North America and Europe for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, PC, iOS, and Android, and SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions for PlayStation 4, Switch, PC, iOS, and Android, Square Enix announced at its E3 2019 press conference.

yKBxKqy.jpg

Here is an overview of each game, via Square Enix:

Romancing SaGa 3
Developed by industry veterans including legendary developer Akitoshi Kawazu, director of Romancing SaGa, SaGa Frontier, and The Final Fantasy Legend, Romancing SaGa 3 originally released in Japan in 1995. This brand-new HD remaster introduces optimized graphics, new dungeons to explore, new scenarios to experience and a new game+ function.
Romancing SaGa 3 will be available on the Nintendo Switch system, PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation Vita handheld entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One X, Windows 10, Steam, the App Store, and Google Play.
SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions
SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions, an enhanced version of SaGa: Scarlet Grace, which originally released only in Japan in 2016. Newcomers and longtime fans of the franchise can shape their own adventures with one of four protagonists, Urpina, Taria, Balmant, and Leonard, each with their own unique storyline, allowing players to enjoy four different RPGs in one title.
With its first Western release, Ambitions builds upon the original Japanese release with a variety of improvements and additions to the original, including new and improved graphics, character voice-overs, weapons, skills and more. In addition, players will have access to more than 70 allies to potentially add to their party and test out different battle strategies with the new turn-based timeline system as they conquer new scenarios, monsters and bosses on their journey.
SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions will be available on the Nintendo Switch system, PlayStation 4, Steam, the App Store, and Google Play.

Last edited:

Fbh

Are these like Final Fantasy? As in the story not being related to each other?
That SNES one looks great but do I need to play any of the previous ones to enjoy it?

(also is it good?)

Pallas

Gold Member
SaGa Scarlet Grace sounds a bit like SaGa Frontier 1 which is ok in my book. I really enjoyed that that despite all of its flaws.

Akitoshi Kawazu is the most underappreciated (and misunderstood) game designer in the industry. He's a brilliant designer, but it is kind of like his designs are speaking a foreign language - the SaGa series is like someone decided to invent a Final Fantasy clone based on the half remembered recollections of this guy who saw someone else play this one time, years ago. It's like if you asked someone to draw a platypus based only on the description of one written in Dingbats.

Pallas

Gold Member
Akitoshi Kawazu is the most underappreciated (and misunderstood) game designer in the industry. He's a brilliant designer, but it is kind of like his designs are speaking a foreign language - the SaGa series is like someone decided to invent a Final Fantasy clone based on the half remembered recollections of this guy who saw someone else play this one time, years ago. It's like if you asked someone to draw a platypus based only on the description of one written in Dingbats.

Ha makes a bit of sense, the series is pretty different and usually much more difficult, but I find myself liking it more than FF ever since I played SaGa Frontier 1-2 on the PS1 and Romancing the SaGa 3 on an emulator. It has something that us just missing from FF and I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Ha makes a bit of sense, the series is pretty different and usually much more difficult, but I find myself liking it more than FF ever since I played SaGa Frontier 1-2 on the PS1 and Romancing the SaGa 3 on an emulator. It has something that us just missing from FF and I can’t quite put my finger on it.
Systems. It has a shit ton of systems. Weird ones, that all affect each other, and which do things that piss people off. Like the Romancing SaGa remake, where fighting too many random battles could actually screw you over and make the game unwinnable! Or Crystal Chronicles where someone has to be the bucket bitch. In FF2, you beat your own team members up to make them strong. And I don't think anybody figures out how to play The Last Remnant within the first 20 hours. And don't even get me started on Unlimited Saga, which seemed to be designed from inception to piss off JRPG players. But the thing is, every one of these games is also brilliant in their own ways too. Where these systems seem offputting and strange, it is usually because these systems are never explained to you, and they are definitely not self explanatory - but they make sense in a weird way that almost dares you to try and figure it out. It's total immersion game design.

Personally, they need the Romancing Saga remake to make it to newer consoles (I think it still looks pretty damn good) and I've been waiting decades for SaGa Frontier 1 to be rereleased in some fashion.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Are these like Final Fantasy? As in the story not being related to each other?
That SNES one looks great but do I need to play any of the previous ones to enjoy it?

(also is it good?)
They’re all independent stories, you don’t have played any of the others. Also not super story-heavy and mostly focused on little sub-stories.

And yeah they’re some really neat and different JRPGs. There are no XP or levels, instead characters randomly gain stat boosts, weapon proficiency, magic proficiency, etc based on what actions you use in battle. The series’ trademark is “sparking”, where a character will randomly unlock a new move mid-battle.

They’re pretty nonlinear, where you pick one of several characters and can visit any town at any time to take on quests and recruit characters. No two play throughs are the same.

For me the one downside is they’re VERY battle heavy. You will be totally bombarded with encounters. So your enjoyment will depend on how much tolerance you have for the onslaught of battles.

These games feel like some odd alternate-timeline where JRPGs evolved in a different direction from the FF/DQ-inspired genre we have now.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I'd be more excited if Romancing SaGa 2 wasn't $24.99 on both PS4 and Vita with no crossbuy. I doubt 3 will be any different.

Disgusting 3D. What a missed opportunity. They could have made Secret of Mana/Romancing Saga in a modern 2D uprez, but instead they develop disgusting PS2 looking 3D adaptation that ruin the whole design and art directions....

Pallas

Gold Member
That’s the first I heard about the additional story line, not sure if it was already known. Makes me even more hyped for this game.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I have never played a SaGa game and would really like to give it a try because I love JRPGS and I dig the art style, but im nervous about the disconnected story and characters.

Top Bottom