• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ronda Rousey wants to be cast as Captain Marvel, Kevin Smith and Thanos Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

I would rather they make someone a star instead of use a star.

Almost no one says they have to cast a star, people are saying that casting a non-actress (apparently with certain highly controversial opinions) for their first female superhero movie is not going to fly. I don't see a problem casting an established TV actress, but given what might hinge on the movie, I couldn't fault them for going with a more established actress. Then again, for the most part they've cast very well-established actors.

I honestly feel weird that people are even contemplating this. It's a lead role, one that will presumably be of significance in MCU, yet some people honestly think casting a non-actress would be a good idea? Captain Marvel is where people think casting should be based on the look? Really?

And Sackhoff hasn't even been on any of the networks they were on.

Nah buddy. Battlestar is still praised as being one of the best shows of the last 20 years. It's over a decade old now, but she was on one of the shows that was absolutely part of the renaissance that caused people to look at how storytelling on TV could be done differently.

Stop using Oscars as a measuring stick for acting chops.

Stop reading my posts as literal statements.

Hemsworth is not a high quality actor. He is serviceable in the role of Thor and yet they let him carry 2 of those movies.

With an acting coach, Rousey could be serviceable too.

Cheebo

Banned
Nah buddy. Battlestar is still praised as being one of the best shows of the last 20 years. It's over a decade old now, but she was on one of the shows that was absolutely part of the renaissance that caused people to look at how storytelling on TV could be done differently.

She has been completely unable to transition that into a movie career. He film roles post BSG are c and d list movies at best.

She has been completely unable to transition that into a movie career.

Oh, absolutely. Not arguing that. Just arguing that the idea that being a "TV Actor" is automatically some sort of negative on the acting front. There are a ton of actors right now working almost solely on television who are putting AMAZING work up week after week.

That heirarchy hasnt' really existed for like, 20 years now, and is basically referred to now out of reflex more than anything.

Kinyou

She has been completely unable to transition that into a movie career. He film roles post BSG are c and d list movies at best.
When I think about it, no one from BSG has been really successful to jump off into a big career afterwards, have they?

Oh, absolutely. Not arguing that. Just arguing that the idea that being a "TV Actor" is automatically some sort of negative on the acting front. There are a ton of actors right now working almost solely on television who are putting AMAZING work up week after week.

That heirarchy hasnt' really existed for like, 20 years now, and is basically referred to now out of reflex more than anything.

Chris Pratt was a TV actor.

<drops mic>

When I think about it, no one from BSG has been really successful to jump off into a big career afterwards, have they?

Honestly, neither have most of the casts of Breaking Bad, The Shield, The Wire, Justified, Deadwood, or any number of some of the medium's best shows in the last 20 years.

Doesn't mean the work they put in isn't as good as we know it to be. Just that for whatever reason, it hasn't turned into superstardom in the film realm.

Heh.

mreddie

katheryn-winnick-as-captain-marvel.jpg

Kinyou

Honestly, neither have most of the casts of Breaking Bad, The Shield, The Wire, Justified, Deadwood, or any number of some of the medium's best shows in the last 20 years.

Doesn't mean the work they put in isn't as good as we know it to be. Just that for whatever reason, it hasn't turned into superstardom in the film realm.
Yeah, I didn't mean it as judgement of their acting chops but rather a sad realisation. Sure wouldn't mind seeing James Callis in more stuff.

Cheebo

Banned

Heh.

Problem is we are far removed from BSG and ever increasingly so. Any luster that cast had and their inability to keep attention hurts the chances on banking a big movie role. Breaking Bad just ended. If Bryan Cranston is unable to get another high profile role for 5+ years he isn't going to be in the discussion for movies like this either.

Sackhoff's peak was about 5 years too early for something like this. TV actors like say Cumberbatch or Pratt get the movies while the claim to fame tv roles are still on or have just ended.

Sackhoff (and just about everyone from BSG) were unable to get the next big thing and kind of have all fell out any sort of contention for these sort of roles.

Within the first few years after Firefly ending people were proclaiming Nathan Fillion for every blockbuster role under the sun but it never happened.

Sackhoff's movie career after BSG has a bit too much of this in it:
600full-the-last-sentinel-poster.jpg

Problem is we are far removed from BSG and ever increasingly so

I know. That's not really the thrust of the point I'm making, Cheebs. I'm not advocating for Sackhoff (I've said that ship has sailed a couple times over the course of this thread) I'm arguing against the idea that there's some sort of division between "TV actor" and "Film actor" where one is inherently higher quality than the other.

Saying Sackhoff can't play the role is one thing. Saying she can't play the role because she's a "TV Actor" doesn't make any sense, though.

Cheebo

Banned
I know. That's not really the thrust of the point I'm making, Cheebs. I'm not advocating for Sackhoff (I've said that ship has sailed a couple times over the course of this thread) I'm arguing against the idea that there's some sort of division between "TV actor" and "Film actor" where one is inherently higher quality than the other.

Saying Sackhoff can't play the role is one thing. Saying she can't play the role because she's a "TV Actor" doesn't make any sense, though.

Which I agree, TV actor is not a detriment. But the key is window for a successful tv actor to move to the big screen is VERY small.

Having BSG on your resume is not going to help you get a movie role in 2015.

Once your show is over you only have a year or two of goodwill left till you get lost in the world of straight to video dreck that you never escape from.

Which I agree, TV actor is not a detriment. But the key is window for a successful tv actor to move to the big screen is VERY small.

I don't think it is at all. It's simply a matter of knowing how to leverage the recognition you get from having millions of people see you weekly into the right film role. And that can be a crapshoot for any actor, regardless their history on TV, stage, or even voice acting.

Again - this isn't even really about whether Battlestar can get you a job. I'm not making that argument.

Ophelion

Captain Marvel is an important turning point for the MCU. It's kind of imperative that this movie isn't just Ok, but great. Same for Black Panther. The actor they got for him is by all accounts quite excellent. Carol deserves the same. Save the stunt casting for cameos.

kswiston

<drops mic>

The better example is George Clooney, who was a TV actor before the current TV Renaissance and is now one of the more powerful actors in Hollywood.

Sackhoff's age is more of a detriment than being in TV. If she was going to have a larger career, it would have happened by now.

Marvel will pick someone that they can get a decade out of.

Majanew

Banned
if her acting on par as GSP... then I say no thanks

GSP didn't say much in Winter Soldier, but he performed well and his fight scene was pretty nice. Seriously, have some people not seen how god-awful Ronda is in Expendables 3? I'd take GSP as Adam Warlock before I would want Ronda having limited screen time in the MCU as she did in Expendables.

Fast track it, stick her in Civil War, and have her deny Stamford ever happened.

Have her as a random extra that's in the background running away from falling debris. Or she can hip-toss Stan Lee out of the way of said debris.

Fury451

Banned
Stop reading my posts as literal statements.

Hemsworth is not a high quality actor. He is serviceable in the role of Thor and yet they let him carry 2 of those movies.

With an acting coach, Rousey could be serviceable too.

"Servicable" is not good enough for such an important role though.

Even then with training, some people just aren't good actors. She may just be one of those.

Slayven

I just think she personally is a bad actress.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
People comparing Sackhoff to Pratt. I like Battlestar, and it did some amazing things when it was on the air. But it was a SyFy Network show that has been off the air for 6 years. I honestly don't think many casting decisions are going to even really consider something like Battlestar unless it is a guest spot on some genre show. It's not particularly relevant at the moment. If you were going to get a big role from that show, you would have gotten it when the show was still on the air.

Look at Michael Chiklis from The Shield. He won the awards, but Walton Goggins went straight from that to Justified, and he gets all the nice roles. Tarantino obviously loves him. Hollywood is very "What have you done for me lately?"

Pratt was hustling for roles 4+ years ago. I don't even think he was a full cast member in Parks and Rec until Season 2. And even then, that was a sitcom on a major network. Pratt's career trajectory changed with Zero Dark Thirty. That and his comedy work with Parks probably got him the Marvel role.

The majority of Sackhoff's body of work is sci-fi and horror bargain bin stuff. Getting on Longmire was a good upswing for her, but the exposure isn't there.

Marvel's casting will do their jobs. Other than RDJ, would fans have cast any of the actors that have the roles now as The Avengers? People would have said Evans was a bad choice for Captain America because of his Fantastic Four movies. Or we would have gotten a Michael Fassbender Thor.

DeathyBoy

Banned
The fact that people have to be reminded he was actually in those films (even after having seen them) kinda undercuts the point, though.

It's not really the same thing.

Nobody is doing this.

My point is that he had a career, Katee had a show. Also, comparing Starbuck to Captain Marvel is an insult to Starbuck, a vastly superior character.

Heh. Let's just try to reset, here:

Ronda Rousey can't fucking act
Kevin Smith isn't a great judge of talent.
Kevin Smith endorsing Ronda Rousey because of a piece of fan-art is pretty dumb.
Ronda Rousey cannot put a whole movie on her back, nor should that movie be Captain Marvel, nor could she learn how to put a whole movie on her back between now and the start of production.

Kevin Smith endorsing Ronda Rousey because of a piece of fan-art is pretty dumb.
Ronda Rousey cannot put a whole movie on her back, nor should that movie be Captain Marvel, nor could she learn how to put a whole movie on her back between now and the start of production.

Aaaaaaaaand scene.

"You see her in that picture? Come on. You don't even need to think at this point, there's an image. Lord knows she's one of the only people who would play a superhero that could actually beat the s--t out of somebody. I would like to see it happen. Seems like she has a good head on her shoulders, she followed a dream -- and holy s--t, she's an ass-kicker."

d10d17b73e809b172f16a9a4337f3fc568bef111.jpg

We all can't have what we want in life.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

. set match

Majanew

Banned
between Miles and Carol, people love riding for boring characters

How many have even read a Miles Morales or Carol Danvers comic book? Black/Hispanic Spider-Man on screen and Captain Ms. Marvel being a very powerful female superhero on screen mean more, to some. Even studios: Fantastic Four tried adding some ebony on screen, changing the comic book -- too bad the movie is horrible. Hey, maybe Marvel should cast Beyonce as Cap Marvel. Looks better and a better actress than Rondur Rousey. Wasn't she rumored to be Death?

And why do you wonder?
Do the nature of her powers influence the choice of actress that much?
I personally doubt it.

The powers are a basic character trait of a superhero. If you can't name her powers you definitely don't know enough about the character speculate on ideal casting.

Also the whole "looks like she can handle herself in a fight" arguments people give. I mean sure she's in the military, but women in the military aren't all exactly beefy and she has super strength and can shoot energy blasts, she doesn't have to look ridiculous strong.

Edit' and sorry it took me so long to reply, went to work -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom