• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ronda Rousey wants to be cast as Captain Marvel, Kevin Smith and Thanos Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yvonne-strahovski_ms-marvel.jpg

Marvel please, the choice is so clear.

Agreed. Yvonne has been my choice since announcing the movie.

Fury451

Banned
I like her, but good god I wish they use different photo for photoshop.
That hair looks atrocious.

I think that pic was chosen because of the hair.
landscape_xlarge.jpg

085d3bd1000410c1692001a11a8be017.jpg

tumblr_mp37uk46KW1sst4zoo6_1280.jpg

Anyways, heavens no, Rousey would kill this thing. Captain Marvel needs an actual actress, not just a tough and fit person (no disrespect to Rousey intended). If they can get Paul Rudd a 6-pack then the physical part is of no concern.

#TeamBlunt

She would kill it.

Yvonne would be my second choice personally.

rakhir

She plays an awesome Viking shield maiden. But that is all I know her for so I don't know if she could do other roles. But for me it seems enough.

Edit: Wait I have also seen her in some crappy Hellraiser part XIV or something.... but I cannot remember her acting in that one.
I think i said it somewhere, but still: she knocked it out of the park in her guest star role in House MD episode. It was one of those real guest star roles, not another patient, and she had really strong scenes with Hugh Laurie.
I really didn't know who she is back then, but she made a great impression.

Yaari

Ronda is not good act acting at all. I don't know how many lines she'd have but I'd rather have a good actress without martial arts skills.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ronda is not good act acting at all. I don't know how many lines she'd have but I'd rather have a good actress without martial arts skills.

Well Captain Marvel is getting her own movie so she'll probably have more than a few lines.

Chuckie

I always wonder how many people in these captain Marvel casting threads can even name what her powers are without googling it.

And why do you wonder?
Do the nature of her powers influence the choice of actress that much?
I personally doubt it.

Fury451

Banned
I always wonder how many people in these captain Marvel casting threads can even name what her powers are without googling it.

To be fair, her power set is a little bit complicated to describe, especially with the whole Binary thing.

She also has a pretty rollercoaster backstory, and unfortunately a lot of it will probably be cut (like the alcoholism, since it was pretty much absent from Stark). Makes me wonder how they'll choose what to include.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

This is kind of a good point, actually. I'm not sure I could do it, and I've read comics with her in them.

Guessing:

Flight
Invulnerability
Super Strength
Energy Absorption
Energy Projection (blasts)
can't recall if she has some level of super speed or if she can just fly kinda fast

what am I forgetting?

Slayven

This is kind of a good point, actually. I'm not sure I could do it, and I've read comics with her in them.

Guessing:

Flight
Invulnerability
Super Strength
Energy Absorption
Energy Projection (blasts)
can't recall if she has some level of super speed or if she can just fly kinda fast

what am I forgetting?

She doesn't need to absorb energy first

7th Sense

648681-msmarvel01_03.jpg

Forkball

It's pretty clear that she is looking at acting after she finishes up MMA (which should be quite soon according to rumors). The problem is... yeah she's not a good actress. There aren't too many roles for female action stars anyways, so it's a small niche to fill.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So has everyone mostly given up on Katee Sackoff then? I seem to remember it was only a couple of years ago that people seemed to unanimously demand she get the role.

So has everyone mostly given up on Katee Sackoff then? I seem to remember it was only a couple of years ago that people seemed to unanimously demand she get the role.

Marvel is bigger now, Captain Marvel will be a huge draw coming in-between an Avengers two-parter. I know Marvel has a history with their casting, but Sackhoff doesn't really have the Star power or acting chops to pull this one off.

It's gonna have to be someone at least on the level of Emily Blunt.

UrbanRats

Yeah she had like three lines in F&F7 and.. yeks.

I did watch the entirety of Haywire, though, and Gina couldn't act for shit either.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Marvel is bigger now, Captain Marvel will be a huge draw coming in-between an Avengers two-parter. I know Marvel has a history with their casting, but Sackhoff doesn't really have the Star power or acting chops to pull this one off.

It's gonna have to be someone at least on the level of Emily Blunt.

I've never seen Sackhoff in anything and don't have the largest understanding of the character of Captain Marvel...but is star power really an issue considering Marvel Studios just cast Tom Holland as the new Spiderman?

I've never seen Sackhoff in anything and don't have the largest understanding of the character of Captain Marvel...but is star power really an issue considering Marvel Studios just cast Tom Holland as the new Spiderman?

I'm just playing armchair casting director so don't take anything I say too seriously. But Spider-Man is a proven factor and would work fine with an unknown who they can mold into the role and is more willing to sign a very long contract like they'd need for the character.

I like Sackhoff but she's really not a great actress. The quality of her work is in line with where most of her roles are - TV. She was fine in BSG but dreadful in 24 and other roles I've seen her in.

Captain Marvel not being a proven IP may need the boost from a more well-known actress. Like Doctor Strange its going to be central to Phase 4 and beyond and they may need someone on the level of Cumberbatch in order to make an impact.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm just playing armchair casting director so don't take anything I say too seriously. But Spider-Man is a proven factor and would work fine with an unknown who they can mold into the role and is more willing to sign a very long contract like they'd need for the character.

I like Sackhoff but she's really not a great actress. The quality of her work is in line with where most of her roles are - TV. She was fine in BSG but dreadful in 24 and other roles I've seen her in.

Captain Marvel not being a proven IP may need the boost from a more well-known actress. Like Doctor Strange its going to be central to Phase 4 and beyond and they may need someone on the level of Cumberbatch in order to make an impact.

Interesting points. Thanks, brother!

With all this discussion regarding which actor they should cast in the role, I'd like to nominate another contender.

MTE4MDAzNDEwNzY1NTE0MjU0.jpg

Broadway superstar, Nathan Lane.

He's got the charisma, he's got the talent, he's got the starpower. Make it happen, Marvel.

spookyfish

I'm glad Kevin Smith isn't casting

Or we can wait until the inevitable walk-back.

"Linda Fiorintino was great to work with!"
"Linda Fiorintino was a nightmare!"

"Bruce Willis was great to work with!"
"Bruce Willis was a nightmare!"

"Okay - who thought Rousey as Marvel was a good idea? I mean, come ON, man."

This is Marvel's first solo female super hero film. They need to nail this casting, using UFC fighters/TV Actresses for a important property like this is not going to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom