• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 PlayStation 3 emulation on the PC is seriously impressive | MVG

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah it's amazing how much progress they've made in the recent years, from shitty to being able to play Demons Souls (and many others) at 4K/60fps.

I should try it one of those days, there are many games I didn't get the chance to play since I never owned a PS3.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What are some true must play exclusives people would use this for, I only really cared to do Demon's Souls a little while back (just before the remake released iIrc) and couldn't think of much else to invest time in compared to other emulated systems/native PC games. Some Ninja Gaiden I guess?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
What are some true must play exclusives people would use this for, I only really cared to do Demon's Souls a little while back (just before the remake released iIrc) and couldn't think of much else to invest time in compared to other systems/native PC games. Some Ninja Gaiden I guess?
DeS
Puppeteer
Resistance trilogy
Ratchet future trilogy
Killzone 3
Uncharted 1-3
Infamous 1&2
The Last of Us
God of War 3
Gran Turismo 5&6
Journey
Ico and Shadow of The Colossus HD
Jak trilogy, Sly trilogy, Ratchet trilogy

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What are some true must play exclusives people would use this for, I only really cared to do Demon's Souls a little while back (just before the remake released iIrc) and couldn't think of much else to invest time in compared to other emulated systems/native PC games. Some Ninja Gaiden I guess?

If you have a PS4 its not a very big list. Many PS3 games got remastered for PS4. If you don't have a PS4 then in no particular order:

1. Wipeout HD
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. Uncharted 2 (its ok to skip 1, I bought 1 at launch trust me)
4. Resistance Trilogy.
5. Killzone Trilogy
6. The Last of Us

The PS3 version of Ninja Gaiden Sigma is better than the one on steam, which is based off the PS VITA port. But the differences are overall minor and honestly you should play the XBOX NG Black version if you can regardless.

If you have a PS4 its not a very big list. Many PS3 games got remastered for PS4. If you don't have a PS4 then in no particular order:

1. Wipeout HD
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
4. Resistance Trilogy.
5. Killzone Trilogy
6. The Last of Us

The PS3 version of Ninja Gaiden Sigma is better than the one on steam, which is based off the PS VITA port. But the differences are overall minor and honestly you should play the XBOX NG Black version if you can regardless.
This list is even shorter though, Wipeout HD is on the PS4 (in VR no less), and so is Uncharted and The Last of Us. It's really just Resistance, Killzone, and MGS4. And I guess Puppeteer, Gran Turismo 5/6, and Infamous 1/2.

I'm sure there are a few others, but it isn't much.

Stuart360

Hackers really don’t give up, I don’t trust emulators either.
3k4n.gif

DeS
Puppeteer
Resistance trilogy
Ratchet future trilogy
Killzone 3
Uncharted 1-3
Infamous 1&2
The Last of Us
God of War 3
Gran Turismo 5&6
Journey

Very odd to list killzone 3 which is average and not 2 which is amazing.

I might give this emu a go just for the that and mgs4.

Orta

Banned
Was gonna say Ridge Racer 7 @4k/60fps but I think it already runs at that (60fps), doesn't it?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I have good news for you:
4K is nice - but that's not even 30fps, let alone anything approaching 60. Although that's on a 4Ghz 4xxx, so at least stable 30fps should be possible on higher end CPUs.
And it does hold up nice in the higher resolution.

Alexios

4K is nice - but that's not even 30fps, let alone anything approaching 60. Although that's on a 4Ghz 4xxx, so at least stable 30fps should be possible on higher end CPUs.
And it does hold up nice in the higher resolution.
That's mostly on the game, not the PC/emulator. Motorstorm aimed for 720p ~30fps. Not all games can be emulated with fps higher than their intended, emulation often sticks to original performance. Resolution is often a different matter. But the Motorstorm games seem to have 60fps patches.

Last edited:

Dural

Why spend man-hours into making this available for Mac instead of optimizing the proper version

I'd assume any optimizing they do for the M1 Mac would translate over to the A series CPUs on iOS which would be pretty awesome.

For me it's the MotorStorm games, they're available nowhere else.

Knightime_X

Played 3d dot game heroes for about 2 hours. Been pretty solid.
Used to crash entering any room.
Not any more. At least none that I've come across yet.

Kuranghi

That's mostly on the game, not the PC/emulator. Motorstorm aimed for 720p ~30fps. Not all games can be emulated with fps higher than their intended, emulation often sticks to original performance. Resolution is often a different matter. But the Motorstorm games seem to have 60fps patches.

All Motorstorm passed me by (I think I had a unsanctioned-privateer version of the first but never really played it afaik) and this looks awesome, really hoping for a remaster now. Was there a Ps3 Smuggler's Run?

I have this feeling in my belly that there will be a proper remaster/remake of the original games (Wipeout HD/Fury/Omega Collection style) or a new entry soon, I can just feel it in my cockles, or maybe the sub-cockle area.

Kuranghi

I've been playing Deadstorm Pirates with a Wiimote hooked up to emulate the Move. Pretty good. Low fps in some parts but I think that's down to my computer..

Oh my god I need to play that, I have a PS3 and I can get this for £10:

Then I just need the actual Move controllers right? Or do I need the navigation controllers as well for Deadstorm (and/or the Time Crisis games)?

Sorry for 20 questions, but do you know is there a difference in what Move controller version I get? They are bloody expensive here in the UK...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
That's mostly on the game, not the PC/emulator.
Well no - that video ran uncapped already, and drops below 30 were 'slowing down' which is not how game did/should behave. The other video you shared shows actually hitting 60fps, on a substantially more powerful machine - so it's definitely the issue of PC used in the first one just being too weak (and perhaps a less optimized version of the emulator too).

Anyway that looks promising, my current 4.7Ghz Intel probably won't quite cut it - but I'll have to test it out.

dan76

Then I just need the actual Move controllers right? Or do I need the navigation controllers as well for Deadstorm (and/or the Time Crisis games)?

Sorry for 20 questions, but do you know is there a difference in what Move controller version I get? They are bloody expensive here in the UK...
I'm pretty sure Deadstorm is just the Move, but I can't remember if you need the Navi for the other two games. It's been a while but I think there is an option to use the Move with a regular controller, so the Navi isn't essential anyhow. No idea on how to identify a PS3 Move.

Edit: don't forget you will also need the camera. Honestly, if you have a PC you're better off with a Dolphin Bar and Wiimote as there are a ton of lightgun emulators that work brilliantly.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm pretty sure Deadstorm is just the Move, but I can't remember if you need the Navi for the other two games. It's been a while but I think there is an option to use the Move with a regular controller, so the Navi isn't essential anyhow. No idea on how to identify a PS3 Move.

Edit: don't forget you will also need the camera. Honestly, if you have a PC you're better off with a Dolphin Bar and Wiimote as there are a ton of lightgun emulators that work brilliantly.

Yeah I forgot about camera too, I think you're right, I have wiimotes and joycons already so I should just get a dolphin bar to save tons of money and not have to hook up the old PS3 or buy the game either.

I was gonna get one of these actually:

That way I can just skip the Dolphin Bar as well, as Sinden uses a camera in the gun to track a border overlay around the window and emulates a mouse so should work in everything.

Alexios

If you have a PC/dabble in emulation maybe it's better to invest in a Sinden lightgun and open up a much larger library of emulated lightgun games from all kinds of systems with actual fully precise aiming controls instead of the move/wiimote like stuff. Should work in some RPCS3 games too.

I got a dolphinbar and had some fun with HOTD2&3 and such but it really doesn't hold a candle to actual lightgun accuracy. I've retired its use after playing some emulated lightgun games in VR with 1:1 accuracy with EmuVR. A Sinden should prove as accurate with more compatibility than that.

Struggling with deciding to order one myself as it's quite pricey and there's a long wait but in your case it shouldn't be much different to the Move stuff you were willing to go for just for a few in comparison games. Wiimote is more like guiding a cursor and Move more like waving than aiming 1:1.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
DeS
Puppeteer
Resistance trilogy
Ratchet future trilogy
Killzone 3
Uncharted 1-3
Infamous 1&2
The Last of Us
God of War 3
Gran Turismo 5&6
Journey
The guided fate PARADOX too.

Rain

Tokyo jungle

Siren blood curse

A.Romero

1. Wipeout HD
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
4. Resistance Trilogy.
5. Killzone Trilogy
6. The Last of Us

Is MGS4 fully playable now? Last time I checked it had some issues.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
so what type of hardware pc wise needed for this? would the series x be powerful enough to run this in dev mode one day?

Drew1440

1. Wipeout HD
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
4. Resistance Trilogy.
5. Killzone Trilogy
6. The Last of Us

Good PS3 titles to add to that list:
Haze
Gran Turismo 5/6
Tekken 5 - HD port of the PS2
Heavenly Sword
Ridge Racer 7
Demon Souls
House of the Dead overkill
Time Crisis razing storm
Echochrome
Socom special forces

Does this emulator play ps3 discs or do I need to go and get myself an eye patch and parrot?
i think you need to either dump game files from your PS3 (if digital) or use your disc. with discs i think you can either simply stick them in a blu ray drive and run it off that or you can rip the disc image file and load the game from that (saves you using a drive all the time).

i ripped all my PS2 discs to my PC and they are in iso files. i could simply stick the discs into a dvd drive but i wanted to have a digital file saved on my PC to make it easier, limit how much use the discs get, and of course have a back up of them all. so im only assuming the ps3 emulator works the same way.

Kuranghi

If you have a PC/dabble in emulation maybe it's better to invest in a Sinden lightgun and open up a much larger library of emulated lightgun games from all kinds of systems with actual fully precise aiming controls instead of the move/wiimote like stuff. Should work in some RPCS3 games too.

I got a dolphinbar and had some fun with HOTD2&3 and such but it really doesn't hold a candle to actual lightgun accuracy. I've retired its use after playing some emulated lightgun games in VR with 1:1 accuracy with EmuVR. A Sinden should prove as accurate with more compatibility than that.

Struggling with deciding to order one myself as it's quite pricey and there's a long wait but in your case it shouldn't be much different to the Move stuff you were willing to go for just for a few in comparison games. Wiimote is more like guiding a cursor and Move more like waving than aiming 1:1.

Yeah indeed, I think me and my flatmate are going to order the Sinden Recoil double-pack this week finally, 130 bones but should be worth it considering there aren't really any costs after that.

I didn't know the Move/Wiimote + Dolphin Bar was like that, sounds not great.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yeah indeed, I think me and my flatmate are going to order the Sinden Recoil double-pack this week finally, 130 bones but should be worth it considering there aren't really any costs after that.

I didn't know the Move/Wiimote + Dolphin Bar was like that, sounds not great.
I mean it's just how it was on Wii.

It's abstracted, not 1:1 like a lightgun shooting what it sees with pinpoint accuracy (so ghost squad sniping sections, point blank falling leaf with one bullet etc., are all up to aiming skill alone) and even with games that offer calibration it would only really work 100% if you somehow managed to keep your position the exact same and only alter the angle of the Wiimote's end (so even if you just move your wrist to aim, that still changes the position), which is naturally not how you play these games aiming at different corners of the screen or adjusting your position from close to your chest to aiming far out etc., so the more you move (your hands and thus) the gun around, the more off aiming gets (and many Wii games didn't even offer calibration so were always off and best played with crosshair on without trying to aim, just looking at and moving the cursor like a mouse).

Sinden works on a similar principle but instead of only tracking 2 points and abstracting from it over a whole screen it tracks the whole border around the actual game image offering actual 3D space tracking and perfect accuracy no matter how you move around after starting the game.

But it does require quite some setup depending on emulator/system apparently.

Wii was fun when it launched and brought back some lightgun style games but in reality that sort of tech (and later guncon models for LCD and PC lightguns like AimTrak, until Sinden and Gun4IR came along) doesn't work as it should and is only good enough for games that have crosshair always-on even in the arcade version like Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns, which aren't really about aiming, or rail shooters like Sin & Punishment 2 or Wii FPS games etc., none of which is about holding up the Wiimote but rather keeping it steady in your lap or similar and guiding the cursor as if from a vague laser pointer, rather than being able to theoretically look down gun shell sights and shoot accurately (or pin point instictively in the more frantic games/moments). And imo Move is even less good than Wii style.

Note emulating Wii/PS3 games might not fully fix the controls even if the device is more capable without patches or similar for it (I've seen some around), but most of these games would have arcade (or old console versions for real lightguns, like Dreamcast HOTD2) versions you could emulate.

I'll just add that to me the difference between the Sinden and Wiimote wasn't too great. Yes it's a bit better, but way more expensive and the set up can more complicated. Teknoparrot has a Dolphinbar configuration built in. If you can afford it go fo it, but for me it wasn't worth the extra cash and headache.
Either you didn't configure it right, or you are not the target lightgun game fan audience. The difference should be massive given how they work fundamentally so it's just silly to proclaim it null. Sure, if you suck at the games and/or play without really properly aiming, with the crosshair on, at which point you might as well be playing these games with a mouse (there's a reason the genre didn't somehow live on PC after arcades died, it's just not fun in this way, for reasons obvious to pretty much anyone, nobody wants to point and click instead of aim a gun very closely to a real life, yet still fantastical in games, scenario) you won't see the difference but if you actually want to use aiming and improve your skill there's no comparison. Especially apparent as you don't say they're both as awful, just that Wii is good enough, lol. It is not for actual lightgun games, only for other shooters.
A spent a day with a friends Sinden and we had it running on Supermodel 3, Model 2 and some mame games. It was good, great even, but for me not worth the bucks. I'm not proclaiming it null in any way. It's better than a Wiimote for sure, but Wiimote cost pennies, Sindens don't.
From "a bit better" to "it was good, great even" and the difference isn't null (how could it be even better then, did shots not land where they should after correct calibration, did the length and pump reload not make it work nicely not only as a pistol but also auto fire and shotgun in other games or what is stopping it from being as good as a real multi purpose lightgun? Maybe in the next post you'll admit Wii remote style lightguns simply suck in comparison to real lightguns and the Sinden's impression of them and put this to rest finally, the cost had been discussed already after all but in the end has nothing to do with the quality points I addressed and triggered you so hard, next time make better quality posts so you don't have to slowly backpedal like this mate. A new Wiimote doesn't cost pennies either, they're rare, hard to find originals and expensive when you do find them. Maybe it's cheap if you have one already like I do (as it's cheap to DIY convert a kickass lightgun you may have from back in the day to Gun4IR instead of Sinden, but it's even more expensive to buy a new one and there's really no cheaper on par lightgun on offer today), but not new 🤡

Last edited:

dan76

I'll just add that to me the difference between the Sinden and Wiimote wasn't too great. Yes it's a bit better, but way more expensive and the set up can more complicated. Teknoparrot has a Dolphinbar configuration built in. If you can afford it go fo it, but for me it wasn't worth the extra cash and headache.

Top Bottom