• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 PlayStation 3 emulation on the PC is seriously impressive | MVG

dan76

Either you didn't configure it right, or you are not the target lightgun game fan audience. The difference should be massive given how they work fundamentally so it's just silly to proclaim it null. Sure, if you suck at the games and/or play without really properly aiming, with the crosshair on, at which point you might as well be playing these games with a mouse (there's a reason the genre didn't somehow live on PC after arcades died, it's just not fun in this way, for reasons obvious to pretty much anyone, nobody wants to point and click instead of aim a gun very closely to a real life, yet still fantastical in games, scenario) you won't see the difference but if you actually want to use aiming and improve your skill there's no comparison. Especially apparent as you don't say they're both as awful, just that Wii is good enough, lol. It is not for actual lightgun games, only for other shooters.
So because I don't agree with you I either suck at lightgun games or I'm not the target audience? I've every lightgun game emulated under the sun. I play the hell out of all of them - got the 1CC on Scarlet Dawn without crosshairs or cursor to with a Wiimote 2 days ago, not that it's difficult.

A spent a day with a friends Sinden and we had it running on Supermodel 3, Model 2 and some mame games. It was good, great even, but for me not worth the bucks. I'm not proclaiming it null in any way. It's better than a Wiimote for sure, but Wiimote cost pennies, Sindens don't.

Last edited:

Cryio

I only started using RPCS3 in 2021. Already played:

God of War 2005
Sly Cooper 1 and 2
Prince of Persia The Two Thrones (bad port tho, very high rez textures, but has broken stuff)
Tomb Raider Legend
Tomb Raider Anniversary (some extra polish on PS3 vs PC/PS2/X360)
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Resistance 1
Killzone 1
The Darkness
Dead Space 2: Severed DLC
Prince of Persia: Epilogue DLC
Asura's Wrath
Wet

Started Alone in the Dark: Inferno (basically the PS3 port of the 2008 game is superior to PC/Xbox360), but something broke in the emulator at one point and game crashes at the start of Chapter 2. Haven't tried it again for the past several months.

Last edited:

stranno

I wonder if it can boost Gundam Crossfire to a playable state. It had amazing graphics for a PS3 launch title, but good lord, it could be the worst performance on the system.

Last edited:
This list is even shorter though, Wipeout HD is on the PS4 (in VR no less), and so is Uncharted and The Last of Us. It's really just Resistance, Killzone, and MGS4. And I guess Puppeteer, Gran Turismo 5/6, and Infamous 1/2.

I'm sure there are a few others, but it isn't much.
Some 3rd party games that were missed:
Silent Hill Homecoming, Downpour, and SH Hd collection (sh2 and 3)
MGS HD col, (2 and 3)
MGS4
Ratchet trilolgy
ICos
Heavy Rain
Alpha Protocol (amazing game f the haters, "wah it uses dice for shooting, waaaaa I wanted to play an ping ping fps, waaaa" .. ... was an underated gem of a game).
Red Dead redemption
GT 5/6
Infamous 1-2
Soul Calibur 4
Splinter Cell HD Collection (sc1, sc2, sc3.. you can't even get sc2 digital anymore)
Dead Space 1-3
Killzones
Resistance games
Warhawk (don't know how good would be without multiplayer)
Socom 4
Ensalved
Heavenly Sword (highly underatted, sad that Narriko will never get a shot of greatness again as she is too sexy for todays sjw youth).

Notable mentions although don't know if these are on disc: Tokyo Jungle, Trash Panic, Last Guy, Shatter, Cloudberry Kingdom... (bunch of psn indies that aren't on pc or ps4 sadly).

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Only thing I see a use for a PS3 emulator is MGS4, Killzone 2/3, and Resistance 1-3. Everything else has been remastered/remade.
What? Tons of great ps3 games are stuck there
Afrika, 3d dot hero game, house of the dead 4,folklore, yakuza dead souls, heavenly sword, Kalahari forever, ridge racer 7, dozens of niche games
Ps3 emulation
Don't forget haze and lair... hmm probably shouldn't end with those 3

SpiceRacz

what is the best website for roms?

we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

Grechy34

If you have a PS4 its not a very big list. Many PS3 games got remastered for PS4. If you don't have a PS4 then in no particular order:

1. Wipeout HD
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. Uncharted 2 (its ok to skip 1, I bought 1 at launch trust me)
4. Resistance Trilogy.
5. Killzone Trilogy
6. The Last of Us

The PS3 version of Ninja Gaiden Sigma is better than the one on steam, which is based off the PS VITA port. But the differences are overall minor and honestly you should play the XBOX NG Black version if you can regardless.

Isn't uncharted 2 on the remade collection?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm kidding. Message me and I can point you in the right direction.
Idk what you two are talking about but since we're going off topic I've heard archive.org is a pretty legit site that nobody in his right mind would have rules against mentioning as it does a lot for preservation of things like the actual world wide web and also other things you might be interested in.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I wonder if it can boost Gundam Crossfire to a playable state. It had amazing graphics for a PS3 launch title, but good lord, it could be the worst performance on the system.

this was a better gundam in ps3, and is from software.

I finish this game in japanese xD

Honey Bunny

Afrika, 3d dot hero game, house of the dead 4,folklore, yakuza dead souls, heavenly sword, Kalahari forever, ridge racer 7, dozens of niche games
Ps3 emulation
Fuck yeah folklore

Why doesn't Sony just hire them for their PS3 Backlog PC Team?

I mean Sony isn't looking to put PS3 games on PC. They're looking to put PS4 and PS5 games on PC.

I would love full BC on PS5 but honestly, I'd prefer to have proper remakes/remasters done natively on PS5 hardware. Playing old ps1-3 games with poor loading, textures, polygon counts, just isn't there for me as much as it used to be. I will still play the hell out of Symphony of the Night and a few others, but in reality, if you look at the top 25-50 PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, most of them have received remakes already or newer games that surpass the old ones.

Larxia

Is it like, really playable online (on rpcs3), easily? Because I saw similar things for Warhawk a while ago, I wanted to try but there were a lot of steps that made it seem almost impossible. I think I remember you even had to get verified on their discord and other stuff like that, it seems like a really closed circle for now, unless that changed.

Last edited:

kalecsan

Banned
What are some true must play exclusives people would use this for, I only really cared to do Demon's Souls a little while back (just before the remake released iIrc) and couldn't think of much else to invest time in compared to other emulated systems/native PC games. Some Ninja Gaiden I guess?

Alice: Madness Returns
Asura's Wrath
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Final Fantasy XIII
Journey
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
Shadows of the Damned
Singularity
The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
The Sly Collection
Way of the Samurai 4

My two favs are Catherine (ps3 is the best version without added crap) and Rain (Cinematic plataformer like Limbo, but 3d and miles better in atmosphere)

Didn't check if they are on other plataforms tho

Last edited:
Anyone have luck playing through Silent Hill: Downpour?
It always crashes for me. Let me know if you have a modern setup, too. I got the game running very well at 4k/60fps and some people have reported to have played through it at the same res and framerate with no crashes.

dezzy8

Ps3 emulation
Damn I totally forgot about folklore and heavenly sword.

mhirano

Anyone have luck playing through Silent Hill: Downpour?
It always crashes for me. Let me know if you have a modern setup, too. I got the game running very well at 4k/60fps and some people have reported to have played through it at the same res and framerate with no crashes.
This game is so buggy it even crashed on my PS3.
Ending up selling it and since then looking for a X360 to play on ny Xbox One

Last edited:
The emulator has a serious problem in terms of performance degradation. I have a Asus s17 I'm running it on and the performance is fine when I initially start the emulator (can get 60fps in most titles, pushing 1440p--gpu is rarely the bottleneck though). After I close out and restart, without fail, the framerate dives precipitously, into the single digits and teens, with low CPU and GPU utilization. I've tried everything in terms of programs to dictate priority to the emulator, as well as stop windows power states from limiting it in any way. Additionally, I've disabled undervolting, CPU or GPU, and uninstalled any program that would be related to that. Same settings upon reset. It has something to do with the VC Runtimes I think, as most times it can be fixed by a full deletion and reinstallation of the emulator package. Something happens after playing it for a while/closing it, that conflicts with the existing C++ packages that are installed. I've never had this problem before with any other emulator and have scoured the internet for similar problems and found nothing that addresses my specific problem. Super disappointing because it's a great emulator when it works. Literally feels like something akin to a memory leak issue but RAPIDLY accelerated. Anyhow, can't spend another frustrating night (2nd in a row) trying to get it to work for more than an hour at a time.

Edit: Tried it on a different laptop, AMD this time. 5900hs, so, another 8 core 16 thread, high performance part. the SPU core control *seems* to be the main culprit. Basically, any time you change this from auto a much lower value (1, in my case, as it the only way to get a consistent 60 fps on Hot Shots Golf) the performance will be fantastic until you exit out of a game, and then complete trash when you restart the emulator. It does not matter, 100%, whether this adjustment is isolated to a specific game (you can set per game profiles) or if you use the universal settings. This setting is effectively useless, and therefore renders games which don't reach 60fps natively essentially unplayable. I mean, nice first attempt. But for respected youtubers to make videos on this emulater (MVG), more or less singing its praises and saying you'll be 'very happy with it' without a mention of this crippling performance issue, is kind of surprising. edit 2: the only fix for this is to completely delete the emulator and all associated files, and then reinstall. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Holammer

Sony should license this, and put it on PS5 if possible. 4k/60 Ps3 classics on Now, insta sub.
I assume by "... should license this", you mean they should buy a license? Nothing is impossible, but that might be. It's Open Source.

But why pay for it, when you can have it for free? It comes with a GPL license, so Sony can grab the source like anyone else, put a coder to work on a diet of frozen pizzas and cola and they have a working PS5 version up and running in days.
The problem for any company like Sony is that they need to share their own code as the license forbids them from keeping code and improvements to themselves with their own fork. While they have a great history of contributing to a bunch of open source projects, could you imagine a scenario where Sony digs up all the secret PS3 documentation and turns into a notable RPCS3 code contributor? Could happen, but don't hold your breath.

Cryio

I never understood why when someone asks for "exclusives to play on PS3" for example, people start mentioning multiplatform titles available on PC too. Like, if a game is broken or dodgy on PC I'd understand, but usually it's not the case.

Alice Madness Returns? Singularity? Enslaved? Kingdoms of Amalur? Journey? These work marvelously native on PC already, lmao.

Last edited:

Rudius

How does Lair run? I always wanted to play that game, despite the bad press, but never had the opportunity.

Guilty_AI

I never understood why when someone asks for "exclusives to play on PS3" for example, people start mentioning multiplatform titles available on PC too. Like, if a game is broken or dodgy on PC I'd understand, but usually it's not the case.

Alice Madness Returns? Singularity? Enslaved? Kingdoms of Amalur? Journey? These work marvelously native on PC already, lmao.
Its prob because they already own the game for the ps3 from back then and want to replay it for nostalgia.

MiguelItUp

Hey, at least at this point it's nice to see emulation moving at such a decent pace that in due time PS4 emulation will be decent. Then we can finally get upscaled Bloodborne at 60fps, lmao.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Another game worth emulating (since it has improvements over the arcade version you could emulate too in technical aspects like lod distance). I wonder if it's best and/or less demanding on RPCS3 or Xenia.

Last edited:

SantaC

I cant get star ocean 5 running. I get

VM: Access violation reading location 0x27b0e20 (unmapped memory)

but yet we can start threads about roms and emulation !
logic at it's finest hahah

This is being discussed in 'good faith' as when you speak about emulating something, you're speaking as if you own the product that you are emulating.
It's already been stated that we don't not share information about where to download these games, but information on how to dump them yourselves is O.K to be shared.

Banned
but yet we can start threads about roms and emulation !
logic at it's finest hahah

you can rip your own games and play them on an emulator.

actually pretty easy on a PS3 these days.

rom sites are illegal, emulation is not... so absolutely perfect logic

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Just played some Daytona USA on rpcs3 after reading the last page of this thread. It’s like the “Every time someone mentions Deus Ex” meme with me and Daytona USA…

Top Bottom