• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Hangout

@Scopa How are you fairing with FFX? I'm about ten hours in and finding the story to be hot garbage. If the gameplay weren't so fun I might consider ending it (all).

Not digging the story, or the asymmetrical shorts? I agree, the battle system is fun and I really like the "limit breaks" or whatever they are called. Honestly, my biggest gripe (aside from the voice acting) is that there is not overworld screen. I know that would be the case to follow all the other FF's but X was the first to take it out. Such a bummer

ROMhack

Not digging the story, or the asymmetrical shorts? I agree, the battle system is fun and I really like the "limit breaks" or whatever they are called. Honestly, my biggest gripe (aside from the voice acting) is that there is not overworld screen. I know that would be the case to follow all the other FF's but X was the first to take it out. Such a bummer

Mainly the story, possibly the presentation. It's both a bit meh and lacks cohesion in the way cutscenes are abrupt and sometimes play out for too long. There's also no depth to any of the characters.

I actually turned the voice acting off to listen to a podcast and saw no reason to turn them on again, I'd argue it's better with them off :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Again, gameplay = great. It's the glue that keeps it from falling apart.

Last edited:
Mainly the story, possibly the presentation. It's both a bit meh and lacks cohesion in the way cutscenes are abrupt and sometimes play out for too long. There's also no depth to any of the characters.

I actually turned the voice acting off to listen to a podcast and saw no reason to turn them on again, I'd argue it's better with them off :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Again, gameplay = great. It's the glue that keeps it from falling apart.

Yeah, I agree with you on gameplay, and it was a good idea to turn off the voice acting. It is ROUGH! Also, FYI, the difficulty spikes like mad at the last 1/3 of the game or so. Until it is pretty much a breeze. Except for that damn blitzball tournament. I couldn't win a game of that to save my life.

Unpopular opinion, but FFX is probably the FF game I enjoyed the least.

I don't even see why you praise the gameplay. I liked ATB so much more than the generic turn-based system, there weren't any cool epic skills, new weapons just had different traits but weren't stronger at all and the worst thing: The whole game was just following a linear path. Oh and let's not ignore the fact that you had to switch in ALL characters every single battle so they get XP at all.
There were only two things I loved about the game and one was the Sphere Grid and the other was Blitzball.

Thought it was only popular because of the story.

Last edited:

MadokaAngelWing

Neo Member

I don't even see why you praise the gameplay. I liked ATB so much more than the generic turn-based system, there weren't any cool epic skills, new weapons just had different traits but weren't stronger at all and the worst thing: The whole game was just following a linear path. Oh and let's not ignore the fact that you had to switch in ALL characters every single battle so they get XP at all.
There were only two things I loved about the game and one was the Sphere Grid and the other was Blitzball.

Switching in everyone is a bit of a pain in the ass and as much as I would like to say anything about the linear world I can't due to the fact I enjoy ff13 and it's pretty much called hallway simulator

ROMhack

I kinda like switching characters in. It's one of the few FF games I've played where it feels like characters have uses beyond brute or magic healer.

I don't think it's overly successful at it though because some characters end up being worse versions of others (e.g. Kihmari being worse than Auron).

What I do think though is that there should be punishment for switching - the fact you can switch and attack straightaway makes it less strategic.

But yes, it's extremely linear. Perhaps the most linear RPG I've played.

Last edited:
Switching in everyone is a bit of a pain in the ass and as much as I would like to say anything about the linear world I can't due to the fact I enjoy ff13 and it's pretty much called hallway simulator
That's much more reasonable than people who say FFX is their favorite FF and then they hate FFXIII.

What I do think though is that there should be punishment for switching - the fact you can switch and attack straightaway makes it less strategic.
Hmm, but that just slows down combat and makes you not want to switch at all.

Earthlock tried that.

FF XIII was SO boring! I honestly gave it a fair shake, in that I played it with out reading any reviews etc. Got it used for $13 from a local game store and tried to play it for a week. I got SO bored! The battle system was boring. The story made no sense to me, and the exploration was no existent.
I know it follows the same formula as FF VI (stream lined till last third of game and then open it up for exploration) and is linear like X but it was just not fun to play

MadokaAngelWing

Neo Member
FF XIII was SO boring! I honestly gave it a fair shake, in that I played it with out reading any reviews etc. Got it used for $13 from a local game store and tried to play it for a week. I got SO bored! The battle system was boring. The story made no sense to me, and the exploration was no existent.
I know it follows the same formula as FF VI (stream lined till last third of game and then open it up for exploration) and is linear like X but it was just not fun to play
I'm not know for good taste in games. I think at least once every couple year I play through Dirge of Cerberus for giggles and if I'm feeling really good I'll give dmc 2 a good run through. Bad games just run through my blood and I enjoy every second

I'm not know for good taste in games. I think at least once every couple year I play through Dirge of Cerberus for giggles and if I'm feeling really good I'll give dmc 2 a good run through. Bad games just run through my blood and I enjoy every second
You my friend need to play alone in the dark inferno. To put it bluntly, a masterpiece. I was hyperventilating at one point.

I liked the combat system in FFXIII a lot more than the one in FFX.
I was also really fond of that they did away with towns, because running around and talking to NPCs was something that I never really enjoyed.

But it really lacks exploration. Just like FFX. Or most modern JRPGs really.

anything good on steam, released < 2 years?

how's dat new dragon quest?
Good... for a Dragon Quest. As in, if you liked Dragon Quest before or never played Dragon Quest, it's probably the go-to title. If you didn't like previous Dragon Quest games, you won't like this one either.

Best RPG released the last two years that's available on Steam? I'd say CrossCode.

Tesseract

Banned
Good... for a Dragon Quest. As in, if you liked Dragon Quest before or never played Dragon Quest, it's probably the go-to title. If you didn't like previous Dragon Quest games, you won't like this one either.

Best RPG released the last two years that's available on Steam? I'd say CrossCode.

crosscode looks excellent, danke

Ixion

That's much more reasonable than people who say FFX is their favorite FF and then they hate FFXIII.

I'm one of those people. There are a lot of major differences between FFX and FFXIII.

FFXIII was literally one straight line of enemies the entire game. Even when it "opened up", it was just a big circle of enemies. There was nothing else to interact with. FFX constantly throws towns, camps, temples, etc, at you to walk around, explore, and talk to people. There are puzzles and mini-games to take part in. Also, once you're 2/3 of the way through FFX you're able to freely explore the entire varied/diverse game world and do a litany of things. Again, FFXIII was just a line of enemies and then a big circle of more enemies.

Also, FFXIII's writing was incredibly melodramatic and trite. 90% of the game is just listening to the characters hash out their feelings. FFX's story is more largely comprised of world building, and the plot/mission the characters are on. The emotional scenes are there, but used more sparingly when appropriate.

So yeah, I'm always puzzled when people say "Why do you hate FFXIII if you love FFX?". FFX is varied while FFXIII is repetitive, and FFX has a great balanced story while FFXIII is just straight melodrama and trite speeches.

Last edited:
I'm one of those people. There are a lot of major differences between FFX and FFXIII.

FFXIII was literally one straight line of enemies the entire game. Even when it "opened up", it was just a big circle of enemies. There was nothing else to interact with. FFX constantly throws towns, camps, temples, etc, at you to walk around, explore, and talk to people. There are puzzles and mini-games to take part in. Also, once you're 2/3 of the way through FFX you're able to freely explore the entire varied/diverse game world and do a litany of things. Again, FFXIII was just a line of enemies and then a big circle of more enemies.

Also, FFXIII's writing was incredibly melodramatic and trite. 90% of the game is just listening to the characters hash out their feelings. FFX's story is more largely comprised of world building, and the plot/mission the characters are on. The emotional scenes are there, but used more sparingly when appropriate.

So yeah, I'm always puzzled when people say "Why do you hate FFXIII if you love FFX?". FFX is varied while FFXIII is repetitive, and FFX has a great balanced story while FFXIII is just straight melodrama and trite speeches.

Not to add more coal to the FF XIII hate train (if people enjoy it that's fine I see no reason to try to persuade them otherwise), but one thing that really bothered me about the story of FF XIII was the naming of the fantasy objects. Meaning, the Fal'cie, El'cie, Vitamin 'cie. I couldn't follow what anybody was saying during the cutscenes. All the words sounded so similar and all the characters kept reciting these things that everyone was supposed to know already.
It really turned me off to the story, and so with that and the boring gameplay I couldn't stomach it and had to quit. Maybe I will try to revisit it sometime in the future. I also got the other games in the "trilogy" for cheap so I need to dust those off and have a go with them as well.

MadokaAngelWing

Neo Member
Not to add more coal to the FF XIII hate train (if people enjoy it that's fine I see no reason to try to persuade them otherwise), but one thing that really bothered me about the story of FF XIII was the naming of the fantasy objects. Meaning, the Fal'cie, El'cie, Vitamin 'cie. I couldn't follow what anybody was saying during the cutscenes. All the words sounded so similar and all the characters kept reciting these things that everyone was supposed to know already.
It really turned me off to the story, and so with that and the boring gameplay I couldn't stomach it and had to quit. Maybe I will try to revisit it sometime in the future. I also got the other games in the "trilogy" for cheap so I need to dust those off and have a go with them as well.
So the best game of the trilogy I believe combat wise is XIII-2 but time travel is s thing and Lightning returns isn't the greatest story but I do like how you get stronger via side quests. Slight downfall to the garbs is the fan service of some of them and unless you're using a magic oriented garb you've got no reason to use half the weapons you'll get

I guess it's a matter of taste. I liked FFXIII's action movie approach a lot and was really happy that they did away with towns because those are always the most boring part in RPGs for me (big fan of dungeon crawling and exploration here). Also found the combat system incredibly enjoyable.

FFX was just bad on all levels for me (except sphere grid and Blitzball).

But I hated the linear hallways in both games. Didn't really feel to me that FFX had more exploration than FFXIII, but then again, I never did the optional content.

Last edited:

MadokaAngelWing

Neo Member
The only thing I really like about FFX is the soundtrack and now after playing FFVII remake I know for sure I'm not going to be able to play FFXV granted I have no need too I've got the platinum trophy

Ixion

I guess it's a matter of taste. I liked FFXIII's action movie approach a lot and was really happy that they did away with towns

I was very open to the idea of an action movie feel, but the problem there is that FFXIII doesn't replace the towns with any type of "action movie" gameplay. It's just cut-scenes sprinkled in between a long line of running forward, meeting an enemy, transitioning into a battle, running forward, meeting an enemy, transitioning into a battle, and repeat the entire game. It's not like they added Uncharted type sections where you're platforming or running past a bridge being destroyed, or some action set pieces like that. FFXIII simply removed gameplay elements from the previous games and didn't add anything.

But I hated the linear hallways in both games. Didn't really feel to me that FFX had more exploration than FFXIII, but then again, I never did the optional content.

My point is that in FFXIII you're ALWAYS running straight to the next enemy. Besides the little Chocobo Hot/Cold mini-game on pulse, which is fun to do once or twice, there is literally no time in the game where you're not just running to the next enemy. FFX has a lot of areas in the game where there are people, mini-games, puzzles, optional cut-scenes, to find as you explore in an open town/camp/temple area. And again, once you get the airship you can teleport around the entire game world. It basically becomes kind of an open world experience once you're 2/3 through the main story. So for a full playthrough where you're getting the secret summons, the ultimate weapons, recruiting blitzball players, etc, you're spending a lot of time going around the entire game world, from the icy forests of Macalania to the scorching desert of Bikanel, to the tropical seaside town of Kilika, etc. FFXIII's open area is just the big green field of Pulse, so all those cool diverse locations on Cocoon are locked away after you run through them in the story.

I will say that FFXIII had great music, a solid battle system, great graphics, and some cool locations. But the extremely repetitive gameplay and the melodramatic story made it hard for me to like it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I was very open to the idea of an action movie feel, but the problem there is that FFXIII doesn't replace the towns with any type of "action movie" gameplay. It's just cut-scenes sprinkled in between a long line of running forward, meeting an enemy, transitioning into a battle, running forward, meeting an enemy, transitioning into a battle, and repeat the entire game. It's not like they added Uncharted type sections where you're platforming or running past a bridge being destroyed, or some action set pieces like that. FFXIII simply removed gameplay elements from the previous games and didn't add anything.

My point is that in FFXIII you're ALWAYS running straight to the next enemy. Besides the little Chocobo Hot/Cold mini-game on pulse, which is fun to do once or twice, there is literally no time in the game where you're not just running to the next enemy. FFX has a lot of areas in the game where there are people, mini-games, puzzles, optional cut-scenes, to find as you explore in an open town/camp/temple area. And again, once you get the airship you can teleport around the entire game world. It basically becomes kind of an open world experience once you're 2/3 through the main story. So for a full playthrough where you're getting the secret summons, the ultimate weapons, recruiting blitzball players, etc, you're spending a lot of time going around the entire game world, from the icy forests of Macalania to the scorching desert of Bikanel, to the tropical seaside town of Kilika, etc. FFXIII's open area is just the big green field of Pulse, so all those cool diverse locations on Cocoon are locked away after you run through them in the story.

I will say that FFXIII had great music, a solid battle system, great graphics, and some cool locations. But the extremely repetitive gameplay and the melodramatic story made it hard for me to like it.

Yep. XIII's linearity lacks a certain world/character-building aspect compared to X and VII-R.

Even the most linear area of X, the Mi'ien Highroard, has:

- an optional NPC who teaches you about the history of the world, which sets up his character for later in the game. The fact that I even remember the name "Mi'ihen Highroad" has nothing to do with fanboyism and everything to do with the game doing a good job of explaining its world to the player. I dunno what the XIII areas are called.
- an optional boss fight specifically tailored for Yuna which even unlocks a new mechanic where you teach new abilities to your summons. The player can completely miss this. The boss also ties into unlocking an optional summon later on in another totally optional area.
- a second path that the player can explore if they lose a boss fight or decide to backtrack upon reaching a fork at the end of the main road. Has different enemies than the rest of the road and a few treasure chests.

Now this doesn't excuse X always being as linear as it is. But compared to XIII its like damn, it could've been much worse.

ROMhack

FFX update – Just got done fighting Seymour's second form. Game is still a lot of fun but god damn this story, these characters... I just zone out when they talk.

Every cutscene goes something like this...

Character 1: This is hard! We're fighting but it might not be right.

Character 2: We must fight and sacrifice ourselves! And defeat Sin!

Character 1: No let's not fight because I don't want to lose you but yes... we must fight!

Character 3: (No dialogue because they have no reason to exist)

Character 1: Sir Auron... what would he think?

Character 2: Let us continue down this path to Zanarkand and maybe there we'll find answers.

*Character 4 stands nearby, existing but barely*

Character 1: I agree, let us keep fighting. I also hate Jecht.

Cut-scene ends.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Are any of the rpgs currently on sale on ps4 or vita particularly tactical or otherwise have outstanding battle systems?

I am picking up The Last Remnant per DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi recommendation in another thread, but am overwhelmed by so many games on sale.

Likes: difficulty, tactics, something more than attack attack attack heal on repeat.

Last edited:

Bigrx1

Banned
I started playing Trails in the Sky First Chapter - been a while since I played an rpg this slow but it seems fun so far. Battles take a long time and story is basic so far but dialogue is good and npc's are interesting in how much they keep changing what they say. Still in the prologue, will play it through. I've been surprised by how many people I've known who have mentioned this series being their favorite rpg series ever so not must be something to it.

Are any of the rpgs currently on sale on ps4 or vita particularly tactical or otherwise have outstanding battle systems?

I am picking up The Last Remnant per DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi recommendation in another thread, but am overwhelmed by so many games on sale.

Likes: difficulty, tactics, something more than attack attack attack heal on repeat.
SaGa Scarlet Grace is what you're looking for (not sure if it's on sale, though).

Labadal

I had a ton of fun with Dragon Quest XI. Regular mode is a cakewalk, but when you activate some Draconian Quests, I feel like the battle system is great fun. Buffs/debuffs and status ailments become super important.

Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa: Scarlet Grace are both great games. I love both, but Scarlet Grace combat is really something else.

marcincz

Finished Dragon Age Origins few days ago and already started DA II.
DA O has a great story, but combat and many aspects of this title is very outdated. For sure gameplay looks much, much better in second part.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I decided a handful of years ago I wanted to work on getting a complete PS2 JRPG library I've worked on it over the last several years. Since sealed copies can get expensive I've been adding to it here or there. My latest additions were:

All .Hacks
Rogue Galaxy
WIld Arms 5
All Shin Megami Tensei games
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
Radiata Stories
Atelier Iris games
Ar Tonelico games
Mana Khemia games
Metal Saga
MS Saga: A New Dawn

I just wanted to keep adding to my collection. I'm in no rush to play any of them, but I wanted the board's take on some of these games and which, if any, are worthy of playing soon over current gen titles?

MadokaAngelWing

Neo Member
Honestly in my opinion the orginal .hack games Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine are really good action rpgs and can be a good chill set of games to play and SMT games are great if you love challenge and strategically using the right buffs and debuffs at the right time I can't really say much for the rest as I've not played them

Honestly in my opinion the orginal .hack games Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine are really good action rpgs
More like worst gameplay ever seen in any game. And super repetitive OST too.
I can only see people playing this for the story (which is great).

I decided a handful of years ago I wanted to work on getting a complete PS2 JRPG library I've worked on it over the last several years. Since sealed copies can get expensive I've been adding to it here or there. My latest additions were:
Rogue Galaxy - It's okay, but annoying weapon breaking, crafting and difficulty spikes.
WIld Arms 5 - Pretty solid JRPG, but nothing special.
All Shin Megami Tensei games - Monster catching on insane difficulty level.
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim - Very fast-paced fun action RPG. Pure gameplay focus.
Radiata Stories - That's a really popular title, it is fairly dialogue heavy and has an "ingame time" system where all NPCs go through a movement pattern based on time of day.
Atelier Iris games - Unlike all other Atelier games, Atelier Iris is actually a pretty good JRPG series. The third one is a bit unique and has more of an "arcade" feeling to it as it's stage-based with time limit.
Ar Tonelico games - Probably has the best "dating sim" of all JRPGs. If you're into dating with fictional characters and thinking for hours which girl is the best girl, this series will make your dreams come true. Combat is really good too, but dungeon design is boring.
Mana Khemia games - Kinda like Atelier Iris games with higher school aspect focus.

I decided a handful of years ago I wanted to work on getting a complete PS2 JRPG library I've worked on it over the last several years. Since sealed copies can get expensive I've been adding to it here or there.

Do you have a count on how many were released? You grab the shadow hearts games yet? I'm a fan of those, pretty cool.

Playing Bravely Second at the moment and I do like things about it but feel the whole Brave/Default system can be broken as you can grind 10 levels in an hour (which I have been doing) although you can screw yourself over Braving everyone and enemies whaling on you even if you are 15 levels above them.

The story is fun but a little simplistic and safe.

I feel like the game is made for a casual RPG fan as there is not really any incentive to switch Jobs when a few of them work well enough and switching just means changing your whole strategy and it means having to grind the jobs all over again.

I like the game but I am not a fan of it overall.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Do you have a count on how many were released? You grab the shadow hearts games yet? I'm a fan of those, pretty cool.
I have the Shadow Hearts games. I’m not sure if I’ll ever get around to buying all of them but I’m gonna add bit by bit. I already had a lot of them from my original collection from the PS2 days, but I’m just adding to it now. I beat .Hack Infection back in the day,always wanted to play the others.

DelireMan7

Finished Dragon Age Origins few days ago and already started DA II.
DA O has a great story, but combat and many aspects of this title is very outdated. For sure gameplay looks much, much better in second part.

I did Dragon Age Origins last year. I am a console player but went for the PC version as the gameplay seems very different between PC and console.
I love the gameplay on PC (kind of a RTS with MMO vibes). I have difficulty to imagine how this can be play on console. Not sure I would have had the patience to go through the game on console.

Still have to go for the Awakening extension and then the others titles...

Kev Kev

as much as i enjoyed ffvii remake...

does anyone really feel like they played an "rpg" after finishing that game? i dunno man, it just didnt have that adventurous rpg feel to me. like i said, i still really liked it, but it felt so stale at times.

drganon

Playing atelier ryza now. The alchemy system is interesting and I like the characters and setting so far. The combat is a bit weird. Haven't really lost yet but feel like I'm stumbling my way to victory.

MadokaAngelWing

Neo Member
as much as i enjoyed ffvii remake...

does anyone really feel like they played an "rpg" after finishing that game? i dunno man, it just didnt have that adventurous rpg feel to me. like i said, i still really liked it, but it felt so stale at times.
I think that might have to do with it just being midgar. The first 5 hours of the original game turned into a 40 hour action rpg would make the game seem linear at points.

drganon

Still playing atelier ryza, but also tried out the demo for trials of mana on the switch. I liked it so I decided to get the full version. Ended up buying the ps4 version cause I like getting trophies.

All .Hacks
Rogue Galaxy
WIld Arms 5
All Shin Megami Tensei games
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
Radiata Stories
Atelier Iris games
Ar Tonelico games
Mana Khemia games
Metal Saga
MS Saga: A New Dawn

I just wanted to keep adding to my collection. I'm in no rush to play any of them, but I wanted the board's take on some of these games and which, if any, are worthy of playing soon over current gen titles?
My Ninja! That is my plan for my PS2 collection that I could t get to. Some of the ones on the shelf in the basement:

XVQL8z2.jpg

I have a Quite a few more of the PS2 collection upstairs like Rogue Galaxy but these are pulled out like fine wines to be savored and added to.

Unless you have already got them, don’t sleep in the RPG library of the DS. It is as worthy as the PS2 and PSOne.

Bakkus

My Ninja! That is my plan for my PS2 collection that I could t get to. Some of the ones on the shelf in the basement:

XVQL8z2.jpg

I have a Quite a few more of the PS2 collection upstairs like Rogue Galaxy but these are pulled out like fine wines to be savored and added to.

Unless you have already got them, don’t sleep in the RPG library of the DS. It is as worthy as the PS2 and PSOne.
My OCD senses is tingling over the fact that Persona 3 is so many rows away from 4. Also, you're missing so many GOATs in your GC library.

My OCD senses is tingling over the fact that Persona 3 is so many rows away from 4. Also, you're missing so many GOATs in your GC library.
That is because my Half GC collection is on my shelf in my game room as well as some other PS2 and Wii games. Right next to my OG xBox games.

that is overflow mostly
FCtSxCo.jpg

Edit: the rest is Of the GC is in moving bins Or Next to the Wii for transferring to Dolphin. That is evolution worlds sorry it got cutoff

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
does anyone really feel like they played an "rpg" after finishing that game?
Yup, it checked most of the boxes for me:

Character level ups, weapon level ups, item level ups, strategic battle system, weaknesses, resistances, mini games, exploration, long narrative structure.

Top Bottom