• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

rpgs need more choice and consequence

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If Microsoft is smart they're getting those two to collab as much as possible. Maybe something from Obsidian will rub off on Bethesda.
if microsoft was smart theyd just acquire all of the studios bethesda owned and leave them to rot on their own

Buggy Loop

Played and finished Pillars of Eternity II recently, I thought the choices you have on the factions, on the leaders of them/cities/clans and ultimately on the whole deadfire when you pick an ending to be fantastic.

The ending reflected the choices and even the affinities you developed with the crew, those who felt like you took a wrong turn, etc.

Much better than Mass effect “choices” I felt when I finished the game.

Merkades

Then why play RPG's at all? You're looking for adventure and action games, and there are tons of choices, but the whole point of an RPG is those choices and their consequences, as they really give weight to the role you're playing. It's fine to want zero choices in your games, but then why even play RPG's if you clearly don't like the genre when there are so many alternatives to engage with.
I clearly don't agree with your belief about RPGs. I must have played a hundred plus of them with no choices. I play RPGs because I enjoy the crazy stories, music and mechanics, the point has never been about choices for me, especially when there were none.

I honestly have no clue where your take is coming from, are we counting only western RPGs as RPGs here? This reads to me like either JRPGs aren't RPGs, or the genre didn't exist 'til Mass Effect/Bioware came about.

Himuro

Unfortunately true RPGs are a niche genre and have limited appeal. This is why they get watered down generation after generation.

samoilaaa

Unfortunately true RPGs are a niche genre and have limited appeal. This is why they get watered down generation after generation.
im afraid that by the end of the gen AAA rpgs will be extinct , i hope im wrong

larian invested so much money in baldurs gate 3 , i think ive read somewhere that over 100 million dollars and that was 1 year ago , if the game doesnt sell properly i think even larian will stop doing them

Himuro

im afraid that by the end of the gen AAA rpgs will be extinct , i hope im wrong

larian invested so much money in baldurs gate 3 , i think ive read somewhere that over 100 million dollars and that was 1 year ago , if the game doesnt sell properly i think even larian will stop doing them
100 million into a turn based RPG? I'd love to see it successful but that will almost guarantee some tradeoff.

Your point about the rpg being extinct is why I made my thread the other day about giving up on RPGs as a genre. I've played enough and I'm satisfied. From now I'll be investing in old RPGs and get into tabletop RPG gaming which, despite being niche is successful enough to not be overly changed. I'd also suggest that transition to others that are sick of modern RPGs.

Top Bottom