• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTS Regiments Releases For Steam This August

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Publisher MicroProse has announced via a short trailer that its upcoming real-time strategy game, Regiments, will launch for PC via Steam on August 16th.

Players had a chance to try out Regiments during a playtest that focused on its “operations” game mode back in January. During this playtest, developer Bird Eye’s Games received a lot of valuable feedback from players that allowed them to polish the game further. The latest update from MicroProse said there will be a variety of additions, new units, and new features that will be implemented in the game when it launches next month.

Regiments is a real-time tactic, large-scale simulation game that takes place in Germany in 1989. Players will be able to lead their regiments through the German landscape, while they look for ways to navigate skirmishes with minimum casualties. Players will be able to use artillery to assist with the war effort.

Additionally, Regiments will feature a platoon command system which allows players to focus on macro strategic decisions rather than fussing over individual units. The developer plans to reveal more about the platoon command system soon.

The developer of Regiments, Bird’s Eye Games, is a small team and the upcoming RTS will be their debut game. Regiments will have various operations that require players to employ new tactics for each individual operation.

When it comes to gameplay, refined controls will allow players to command hundreds of soldiers without having to deal with micro decisions. There will be four factions that will be playable in the game: Soviet Union, East Germany, West Germany, and USA. Additionally, Regiments will contain a plethora of military vehicles such as tanks, warplanes, and fighting vehicles. Players will compete against an improved AI, which can perform as well as experienced players. Last but not least, we will find out whether or not the platoon combat system will have a positive impact on the gameplay when it arrives in August.

Regiments is now available to wishlist on Steam. The game will support up to eight languages, including Spanish, German, and French. Additionally, players can find the official PC system requirements for the upcoming single-player RTS game on its Steam page. At the minimum, players will need an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 graphics to run the game. The price of the game has not been revealed yet.

Kuranghi

Was this video meant as a practical joke to annoy me personally? *checks around for hidden cameras/pranksters*

Its been uploaded at 25fps and its below that in many parts:

Oh No Facepalm GIF

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It's 1989 and the flames of a New War are flaring up. Thousands of square miles of German landscape will become a stage for sweeping battles between the best NATO and Warsaw Pact has to offer.

Tams

Gold Member
Was this video meant as a practical joke to annoy me personally? *checks around for hidden cameras/pranksters*

Its been uploaded at 25fps and its below that in many parts:

Oh No Facepalm GIF
RTSes are the best way to make your system beg you to turn it off. It's just that most of them limit things like the number of units so that it doesn't get that bad.

Going by the number of units and projectiles there, and assuming that they are doing more than just health bars (perhaps some armour and ballistic physics, perhaps even terrain physics), that could very quickly tank the framerate.

Kuranghi

RTSes are the best way to make your system beg you to turn it off. It's just that most of them limit things like the number of units so that it doesn't get that bad.

Going by the number of units and projectiles there, and assuming that they are doing more than just health bars (perhaps some armour and ballistic physics, perhaps even terrain physics), that could very quickly tank the framerate.

Agreed, I remember Supreme Commander...

In this case though I think its in large part due to the angle of view, its rendering really far out to the distance with tons of alpha effects from those trees.

My comment is like an in-joke about me and my hatred for (technically) poorly presented marketing materials. I demand flawlessly smooth presentations from all trailers, even though this desire brings me only endless pain. Also that cat gif is excellent and I wanted to use it.

I know its probably just because its a small team and they have no dedicated trailer guy though so I understand it here. With AAAAA games not so much.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Regiments just received its first update, Second Wave. Play new Operations and command New Regiments in this Real-Time Tactics game set in Germany 1989.

It's 1989 and the flames of a New War are flaring up. Thousands of square miles of German landscape will become a stage for sweeping battles between the best NATO and Warsaw Pact has to offer.

Top Bottom