• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RTTP] Hollow Knight | In the wait of Silksong

DelireMan7

0f8f8798c4512cc9aa1881a1f8672bc9598c7afb523e0e6120223d3dc697ddfe.jpg

Higher beings, these words are for you alone. Beyond this point you enter the land of King and Creator. Step across this threshold and obey our laws.
Bear witness to the last and only civilization, the eternal Kingdom :

Hallownest

I played this game for the first time something like 2 years ago and quickly I fell in love with it. After a long and beautiful playthrough it took a spot just next to Dark Souls at the top of my "Best game ever made" ranking.
Hollow Knight is the game that gave me the closest experience I had when I experienced Dark Souls for the first time. It captures all the elements that define the Soulsborne genre for me.
Cryptic and vague storytelling, charming NPCs, melancholic world and atmosphere...

Then add to that a flawless soundtrack which works so well with the environment or boss it highlights. Mainly melancholic and sad, often charming and definitely bombastic during boss fight. Featuring mainly bowed strings instruments as well as piano and harp, it always delivers. A personal favorite : Greenpath

In a typical Metroidvania fashion you explore the Kingdom of Hallownest, a world filled with insect-like creatures, find blocked paths and unlock new abilities to navigate this world. Small at first, the map is slowly but steadily expanding into a massive world. And into a very "Dark Souls like" way, you'll find NPCs or text scattered into this world, giving you vague lines of dialog to help you figuring out where you should go or what's the story of this world.

tumblr_pqoaa3MMxh1wv5hmyo2_400.gif

Combat is not in rest of course. You start with very little abilities but you will find new powers to use and most importantly : charms.
You'll have to find them or buy them. Each charm gives you a new active or passive skill. With them you can make your "build". You have to equip them but of course the space is limited so you have to make some decision. The game encourages to test them all and especially different combination since some of them trigger special synergy.
It's a very clever system that is really addicting.​
5b7d7e5b0ce5f591208b47ec

I should probably stop being a fanboy and stop my description here. Don't let me start on Bosses which for most are awesome. Mantis Lord probably being, for me, the "perfect boss fight" with a flawless mix of tense and fast paced battle but with clear patterns to identify, a perfect fitting music and such great "cinematography" before and after the fight.
With the (hopefully) close release of the sequel : Silksong, I wanted to replay this masterpiece once more.

And you ? Did you play Hollow Knight ? (if not what are you doing still there ? Go play it NOW !) Did you like it ? Are you waiting for Silksong ?

Feel free to share you thoughts and love about Hollow Knight here.

mantis-lords.gif

anthony2690

Banned
Maybe I should give this a serious go one day in the future.

Purchased it, played twenty minutes, switched it off and never went back.

I just found it boring/uninteresting.

& I play and love a lot of metroidvania's.

I think one of the only others Metroidvanias I've dropped is chasm.

GymWolf

Played 10 hours then got bored, mono-weapon combat, too much platforming, shit map system and needing to waste 2 charms just to have my character appearing on the map and to turn off that fucking bounce when you hit stuff was bad enough for me to turn my back and never look behind.

Nice art design and music but yeah, not for me.

And i love metroidvania games.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I got really deep into it, and then hit the Nightmare King Grimm or someshit and got my ass handed to me.

Over two years or so later, my little guy is still there waiting for the day I pick up the controller and overcome that sumbitch.

DelireMan7

To be fair I don't a lot of experienced in Metroidvania (basically only Metroid Samus returns on Gameboy, and Castlevania : Symphony of the Night, plus one of the Castlevania on DS or GBA I think).

Liked all of them but Hollow Knight really hits the right buttons for my taste.

Played 10 hours then got bored, mono-weapon combat, too much platforming, shit map system and needing to waste 2 charms just to have my character appearing on the map and to turn off that fucking bounce when you hit stuff was bad enough for me to turn my back and never look behind.

Nice art design and music but yeah, not for me.

And i love metroidvania games.
There is quite some platforming and this is something I hate usually (I can't find the appeal for Mario games). But here I liked it thanks to its charming world. I even enjoyed the White Palace, a place full of challenging platforming but it's made in a way it was like solving puzzle for me. I didn't try the Path of Pain which is an insanely challenging(optional) platforming section.

I get that the Compass charm sounds like a waste but once you know the game a bit you can get rid of it. Since you can switch charms at every bench, you can easily remove it and gear up properly for a boss fight if needed.

I understand the annoyance of the bounce back. I got use to it but it might be a questionable choice.

I got really deep into it, and then hit the Nightmare King Grimm or someshit and got my ass handed to me.

Over two years or so later, my little guy is still there waiting for the day I pick up the controller and overcome that sumbitch.
Haha Nightmare King Grimm is quite a wall. Took me quite some tries to get him. Hopefully it's optional but it's really rewarding when you finally succeed it :)

You can still explore the game and come back later with others charm and some others power up.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I had a rerun with this game just recently and it's almost unsettling how often it made me change my mind and flip opinion between "Basically a masterpiece" and "Holy fuck, what a miserable experience going through this part, I hate these designers".

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Lovely game, with good atmosphere, challenging combat and a very interesting map system, which asks you to be aware of where you are until you get the chance to draw on your map.

Cool stuff, can't wait for the sequel. Any day now!

Buggy Loop

I had a rerun with this game just recently and it's almost unsettling how often it made me change my mind and flip opinion between "Basically a masterpiece" and "Holy fuck, what a miserable experience going through this part, I hate these designers".

This

Overall experience is a must and I have good memories of it, but it’s a slog. The traversal & backtracking is probably the worst in the genre. Stupid high difficulty boss too.

SpiceRacz

Super Metroid is amazing but I think Ori and the Will of the Wisps has taken the #3 slot for me.

1. Hollow Knight
2. Symphony of the Night
3. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Damn, that's high praise. I need to try out Will of The Wisps. Blind Forest was exceptional.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Super Metroid is amazing but I think Ori and the Will of the Wisps has taken the #3 slot for me.

1. Hollow Knight
2. Symphony of the Night

Damn, that's high praise. I need to try out Will of The Wisps. Blind Forest was exceptional.
Funnily enough, I find Ori and the Will of the Wisps to be pretty meh as a Metroidvania but absolutely incredible as a platformer. I didn't find the world particularly interesting, threatening, or exciting to explore like in Hollow Knight but it absolutely blows it out of the water when it comes to controls and moment to moment gameplay.

Hollow Knight though is way better at exploration and manages to capture that Metroidvania and dreaded sense of discovery perfectly. I do wish that it was better paced because I don't find that its gameplay is particularly strong. Certainly not enough to be this slow at the beginning. It stretches for like 40 hours and the mechanics just aren't deep, complex, or varied enough for it to be that long. It had overstayed its welcome with me after about 20-25 hours which I believe is the length it should have been but the devs really wanted to go for that feeling of a huge, overwhelming world not unlike Dark Souls (which ironically enough, Hollow Knight is one of the best derivatives of). Also, because of its smaller budgets, the environments are a lot more repetitive which makes navigating it harder than it should be since it's so damn big and some areas tend to look samey so you get lost more easily.

Anyway, rambling aside, I would rank Ori and the Will of the Wisps as one of the top platformers ever but not really among the best Metroidvanias if that makes sense.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
silksong will never come out.

anyways.... HK is great, but man it can be difficult at times. not to mention you really have to enjoy the art, exploration, music, story, etc as the gameplay is a bit old and traversal abilities are spread pretty far and thin unlike Metroid which gives you a shitton of Missiles, bombs, etc and Castlevania which gives you a shitton of swords and magic to experiment with. the game is more artsy than anything and im fine with that since it exceeds in that area, the levels are so iconic they've burned themselves into my memory

daveonezero

Banned
After not giving this a chance because of the art style I picked it up not long ago on switch.

It looks a lot better in motion and gameplay than videos make it out to be.

I think I spent a good 5 or so hours but met some roadblocks and found I wasn’t getting abilities very often.

I also had a horrible input lag when I played it on my Sony 90k. Which was odd as I haven’t had an issue in the past.

I’m playing so many other things right now I’m not sure I’ll go back.

Tangerine

I wrote a very brief mini review ages ago on this game:

An absolutely brilliant game

Without doubt, one of my favourite games of all time. A vast, atmospheric, detailed world to explore. Lots of secrets, different abilities and upgrades to discover. Plenty of challenging platforming and a huge variety of enemies and bosses, requiring skill and often persistence to defeat. The story is deep and cryptic and the characters you meet are unique and interesting. I love the art style, the haunting music and the sense of progression, as you come to learn the worldmap and master the enemies and controls. Not to mention all the DLC is included, adding countless more hours of gameplay to an already large game. Team Cherry have lovingly crafted an intricate, expansive world with it's own distinctive and intriguing aesthetic and lore. A true masterpiece and a must play! I can't wait for the sequel, Hollow Knight: Silksong.

Will of the Wisps is MUCH better than Blind Forrest.

This so hard it’s not even funny. Ori 1 was good but kind of overrated, Ori 2 fixed everything and tightened up gameplay so much. Ori 2 and Celeste are probably the best controlling 2D platformers I’ve ever played.

God this thread just makes me wanna replay Hollow Knight but I just can’t do it right now with this mega backlog and so close to Silksong. I will live vicariously through you guys.

This so hard it’s not even funny. Ori 1 was good but kind of overrated, Ori 2 fixed everything and tightened up gameplay so much. Ori 2 and Celeste are probably the best controlling 2D platformers I’ve ever played.

God this thread just makes me wanna replay Hollow Knight but I just can’t do it right now with this mega backlog and so close to Silksong. I will live vicariously through you guys.
Just buy this and thank me later:

DelireMan7

Absolute masterpiece.
Now that you made this thread, I'm gonna go play it again.
This is like the Deus Ex meme all over again.
Go for it ! I am currently in the Kingdom's Edge and I have almost the maps. I need to find 2 Dreamers.

Just did the 2 first trials of the Coliseum. Not sure I'll go for the third this time. Drove me crazy last time.

1. Hollow Knight
2. Symphony of the Night

Ori is on my list since quite some time but I never had a Xbox
I wrote a very brief mini review ages ago on this game:

An absolutely brilliant game

Without doubt, one of my favourite games of all time. A vast, atmospheric, detailed world to explore. Lots of secrets, different abilities and upgrades to discover. Plenty of challenging platforming and a huge variety of enemies and bosses, requiring skill and often persistence to defeat. The story is deep and cryptic and the characters you meet are unique and interesting. I love the art style, the haunting music and the sense of progression, as you come to learn the worldmap and master the enemies and controls. Not to mention all the DLC is included, adding countless more hours of gameplay to an already large game. Team Cherry have lovingly crafted an intricate, expansive world with it's own distinctive and intriguing aesthetic and lore. A true masterpiece and a must play! I can't wait for the sequel, Hollow Knight: Silksong.
Perfect ! I could have wrote that. And so far my replay confirms my love for it.

K2D

Banned
Game's worth doesn't really sink in until the second half of the game.

Can be a real shift from other games, but I ended up loving the atmosphere.

I quit the game a few times before finally finishing it. The exploring just wasnt very natural to me, then I used a spoiler free map guide and found I was spending so much time in areas that I wasnt even supposed to be in. First time Ive used a guide to finish a metroidvania game.

Use a map guide. The game is fun when you take out the 'exploration' aspect.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I quit the game a few times before finally finishing it. The exploring just wasnt very natural to me, then I used a spoiler free map guide and found I was spending so much time in areas that I wasnt even supposed to be in. First time Ive used a guide to finish a metroidvania game.

Use a map guide. The game is fun when you take out the 'exploration' aspect.
But that's usually one of the things I really enjoy about metroidvania's, that being said I don't think I enjoyed exploration on this game from my brief go.

Maybe I'll give it another try with a map in the future, if a dry spell of games comes up.

DelireMan7

Funny to see people not liking the exploration. I love it in this game !

Sure you usually get many roadblock and when you get a new traversal ability, it's a bit overwhelming as you have so many options to go. I love the feeling.

So I spent 2h yesterday on Nightmare King Grimm. As much challenging as I remembered. Feels great to get the flow of this fight.

f17674dfc33c5804b8bc7ab21fd2d606ac31c285r1-500-162_hq.gif

I'll then go for the 2 last dreamers and then ending.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Welll, it doesn’t help that stuff like the White Palace makes for some fucking miserable “exploration”.

And when I looked at a YouTube video of how you are supposed to pass the Path of Pain my reaction was more less “I should do FUCKING WHAT?!?” followed by “Not even if you’re paying me for trying it. I’m not THAT invested in your game”.

DelireMan7

Welll, it doesn’t help that stuff like the White Palace makes for some fucking miserable “exploration”.

And when I looked at a YouTube video of how you are supposed to pass the Path of Pain my reaction was more less “I should do FUCKING WHAT?!?” followed by “Not even if you’re paying me for trying it. I’m not THAT invested in your game”.

Well Path of Pain is a fully optional (heavy) challenge (like the White Palace actually or the Coliseum of Fools). I never did the Path of Pain because it sounds like... well a lot of pain. I should maybe try a bit because I don't like platforming but somehow enjoyed quite a bit the White Palace.

Fuz

Banned
Reason I'm not that hyped for Silksong, while having loved to death HK.

Mr Branding

Yeah, not feeling this game at all. Tried to play it 3 times now and every time I quit after a few bosses in. It's weird since I'm a metroidvania maniac but this just doesn't do it for me. I dunno if it's some of the mechanics or the Newgrounds art-style but I'll chalk this one up as not for me.

DelireMan7

Yeah, not feeling this game at all. Tried to play it 3 times now and every time I quit after a few bosses in. It's weird since I'm a metroidvania maniac but this just doesn't do it for me. I dunno if it's some of the mechanics or the Newgrounds art-style but I'll chalk this one up as not for me.

It's crazy, seems like there is quite some people not appreciating this game here. Not that's a bad thing but I am surprised. I am completely fan of it.

Actually the art-style was why it took me so look to play it. I couldn't stand it. But once I felt the atmosphere in-game I was sold.

I'm glad judging by this thread that I'm not the only one who dislikes Hollow Knight, even if I'm still in the minority. I feel like I'm crazy with how much praise it gets compared to the experience of actually playing it.

- weird, stubby combat at least in the four or five hours I played
- ugly monotone environments & visual style
- typical Metroidvania shortcoming where you backtrack a tonne through areas that usually weren't fun the first time

Doesn't help that I don't usually like Metroidvania games, but I'll tolerate one if the core gameplay is fun. It's possible to get a feeling of discovery in such a game, to at least somewhat justify the inherent flaws, but not if the areas look and feel like randomised roguelike levels despite being static. I'd rather just replay Momodora 3 or something.

Last edited:

BlueLena

Neo Member
This is exactly how I feel about the game too - there's so much to love about it but, just occasionally, it makes you bitterly regret spending any time with it at all. I too have resorted to a guide as I was getting stuck in areas that are really meant to be explored way later in the game, I feel that other Metroidvanias handle exploration way better than this game and give you a better means of getting back "on track" without wasting too much of your time.

Having spent 10 hours on the Switch version and 26 hours up to this point on the Steam Deck version I'm at the tipping point of whether I carry on or not - I have warmer feelings about the game now but it might have actually convinced me to not purchase Silksong, and given the lore is not that interesting and the gameplay loop is getting pretty samey I might have seen all I need to at this point.

DelireMan7

This is exactly how I feel about the game too - there's so much to love about it but, just occasionally, it makes you bitterly regret spending any time with it at all. I too have resorted to a guide as I was getting stuck in areas that are really meant to be explored way later in the game, I feel that other Metroidvanias handle exploration way better than this game and give you a better means of getting back "on track" without wasting too much of your time.
It's funny I saw several complaints, in this thread, with exploration in this game but I never had a problem. I am not an expert with Metroidvania so what do you think make it "bad" ?

For me the game is about getting lost and try different pathways to see where it leads. Again for me it's Dark Souls in 2D, which I love.
In general I love things that are not ordered or clearly define. Getting lost with little directions is definitely my thing in game.

And I'm done, Radiance is beaten. I am always mixed on this boss. It's an interesting concept, it's more like a platforming boss, but always a bit frustrating (due to some RNG : some successions of "attacks" can be really nasty to navigate through).
After playing Elden Ring, the similarities with the final battle strikes me (but I don't want to say more to spoil Elden Ring).

I'll not go to the pantheon this time. While it's definitely some cool challenges, with the announcement of Elden Ring's DLC I dying to start a new character for it :)

Anyway my stance on Hollow Knight hasn't changed : one of the best game I have played alongside Dark Souls and Bloodborne. I love the general mood of it, it's really right up my alley. Combat is tense while never overcomplicated, a lot of lore to uncover, lot of secrets and secret interaction...

I am ready for Silksong !

DelireMan7

I’ve gotten to the part where you first fight the protag from Silksong then I quit and played other games.
2 things :
  • You made to through Greenpath, fight Hornet and didn't fall in love with these 2 beautiful music and atmosphere so you're a degenerate
  • What is that you didn't like about it ?

I'm glad judging by this thread that I'm not the only one who dislikes Hollow Knight, even if I'm still in the minority. I feel like I'm crazy with how much praise it gets compared to the experience of actually playing it.

- typical Metroidvania shortcoming where you backtrack a tonne through areas that usually weren't fun the first time

Doesn't help that I don't usually like Metroidvania games, but I'll tolerate one if the core gameplay is fun. It's possible to get a feeling of discovery in such a game, to at least somewhat justify the inherent flaws, but not if the areas look and feel like randomised roguelike levels despite being static. I'd rather just replay Momodora 3 or something.
In every HK thread ever made there's always a guy like this shitting on the game.
lol

BlueLena

Neo Member
It's funny I saw several complaints, in this thread, with exploration in this game but I never had a problem. I am not an expert with Metroidvania so what do you think make it "bad" ?

For me the game is about getting lost and try different pathways to see where it leads. Again for me it's Dark Souls in 2D, which I love.
In general I love things that are not ordered or clearly define. Getting lost with little directions is definitely my thing in game.
To illustrate it with an example, I got myself to a point where I wandered into the Crystal Peak area early on (having opted to purchase the light I think?) which means you are effectively trapped in the area until you find and obtain the Crystal Heart, which isn't necessarily an obvious or trivial solution especially when you are still becoming comfortable with the game and its mechanics. For me the very best Metroidvanias give you choice and freedom, but that freedom works both ways - if you have over-reached your ability for a given level, allow the player to easily walk back that decision even if it comes with a consequence.

Its left me with a bit of a conundrum when I boot up the game, even on Steam Deck - do I have the time in this play session to wander into a new area and have to deal with finding a bench and Cornifer just to be able to leave the game feeling I've achieved something? For the record I do think its a good game overall, I just think these irritations stop it from being a truly great game for me where others perhaps make exploration more fun and rewarding. There's plenty of people that regard the game as a masterpiece though, so I'm sure the devs can sleep soundly at night.

hemo memo

Gold Member

I don’t like rougelite/rougelike games or Diablo style games. I think the most enjoyable rougelite/rougelike game would be a game that reward your runs with progress with stats upgrades that makes it easier in the next run and not rely on “getting good” dying over and over but that wouldn’t be a rougelite/roguelike anymore. I don’t try to force myself and just try to pick the games I enjoy. I don’t like very hard games but Hollow Knight actually get easier the more you progress and the combat is just.. right. And dying is not a big step back. Backtracking to areas and opening that door or wall or jumping high or dropping low to discover a new area you couldn’t before because the upgrade you just got is my favorite part of Metroidvania games.

It is totally ok. No matter how hard I would try I wouldn’t be able to get into Sports games, unless you count Golf Story as one. That’s doesn’t mean that latest FIFA is bad. It is just not type of genre. As for style, it is among the most beautiful Metroidvania games actually.

DelireMan7

To illustrate it with an example, I got myself to a point where I wandered into the Crystal Peak area early on (having opted to purchase the light I think?) which means you are effectively trapped in the area until you find and obtain the Crystal Heart, which isn't necessarily an obvious or trivial solution especially when you are still becoming comfortable with the game and its mechanics. For me the very best Metroidvanias give you choice and freedom, but that freedom works both ways - if you have over-reached your ability for a given level, allow the player to easily walk back that decision even if it comes with a consequence.

Its left me with a bit of a conundrum when I boot up the game, even on Steam Deck - do I have the time in this play session to wander into a new area and have to deal with finding a bench and Cornifer just to be able to leave the game feeling I've achieved something? For the record I do think its a good game overall, I just think these irritations stop it from being a truly great game for me where others perhaps make exploration more fun and rewarding. There's plenty of people that regard the game as a masterpiece though, so I'm sure the devs can sleep soundly at night.

I see the area you mean. But replaying it made me realize that you need the Mantis claw (wall jump, you can't see much of Cristal peak without it) to access it meaning you have to already played quite a bit to get their (in addition the lamp is very costly at the beginning. I think it was a way to make sure players to buy it too early.)
It's possible that you are lock into this area till you succeed it (don't remember if you can wall jump back to the top). It's for sure a tricky platforming segment.

I get the feeling to "have to find a bench or map" can be annoying. I personally enjoyed the map system and how we fill it progressively.
I always had the feeling to be rewarded for exploring but we can't all like the same thing :)

DelireMan7

So having different opinions is shitting on the game?

Lmao.
No the person you quote but I think he said that because of the tone used.

For example saying "ugly visual style" as a different impact than saying "I didn't like the visual style at all". The former feels more "aggressive" than the latter.

Anyway I got that he didn't like the game at all and it's fine. I always tried to be measured on my critics but sometimes you can't refrain to get heated (Recently happened to me when discussing Death Stranding with a friend, because after 15h I can't find the appeal of the game and it bogged me a bit it receives so much praise)

GymWolf

No the person you quote but I think he said that because of the tone used.

For example saying "ugly visual style" as a different impact than saying "I didn't like the visual style at all". The former feels more "aggressive" than the latter.

Anyway I got that he didn't like the game at all and it's fine. I always tried to be measured on my critics but sometimes you can't refrain to get heated (Recently happened to me when discussing Death Stranding with a friend, because after 15h I can't find the appeal of the game and it bogged me a bit it receives so much praise)

The user find the artstyle ugly, no need to sugar coat his opinion to not be accused to shit on the game.

Many people think that zelda botw has a great artstyle, to me it look like some low res galore shit with ugly ass character design (except for link)

Some people just have a more abrasive, less gentle way to say things.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

The user find the artstyle ugly, no need to sugar coat his opinion to not be accused to shit on the game.

Many people think that zelda botw has a great artstyle, to me it look like some low res galore shit with ugly ass character design.

Some people just have a more abrasive, less gentle way to say things.

I get that but if you use more abrasive way to say thing you have to accept the fact that people will either get angry or speak to you in the same abrasive way.

I usually find to say thing "nicely" always helps. When people are "aggressively" ask or say something, I am more incline to not pay attention or take them seriously.

Whatever, I probably digress too much on this. The first guy didn't like the game and we all got it so that's the important part of his message :)

GymWolf

I get that but if you use more abrasive way to say thing you have to accept the fact that people will either get angry or speak to you in the same abrasive way.

I usually find to say thing "nicely" always helps. When people are "aggressively" ask or say something, I am more incline to not pay attention or take them seriously.

Whatever, I probably digress too much on this. The first guy didn't like the game and we all got it so that's the important part of his message :)
I'm ok with people responding in an abrasive way, i'm not ok with people dismissing other people opinion because they don't like the way they speak.

Last edited:
Top Bottom