• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RTTP] Hollow Knight | In the wait of Silksong

DelireMan7

I'm ok with people responding in an abrasive way, i'm not ok with people dismissing other people opinion because they don't like the way they speak.
Fair point. Makes me think about a woman at work I could stand because she was "not nice and full of disdain" but with time I realized it was just her way to speak and I shouldn't take it bad.

BlueLena

Neo Member
I see the area you mean. But replaying it made me realize that you need the Mantis claw (wall jump, you can't see much of Cristal peak without it) to access it meaning you have to already played quite a bit to get their (in addition the lamp is very costly at the beginning. I think it was a way to make sure players to buy it too early.)
It's possible that you are lock into this area till you succeed it (don't remember if you can wall jump back to the top). It's for sure a tricky platforming segment.

I get the feeling to "have to find a bench or map" can be annoying. I personally enjoyed the map system and how we fill it progressively.
I always had the feeling to be rewarded for exploring but we can't all like the same thing :)
Maybe the game took a while to click for me but I still didnt feel comfortable with the systems, largely because I feel the game is guilty of throwing a mechanic at you and then, some of the time at least, you never having to use that mechanic for ages or even at all. I've long since forgotten why I'm slashing at the funny tree-looking things and the game hasn't given me a reason in ages to use the funny red glowing balls I'm collecting either.

But listen, all this translates to it being a good game for me and a great game for the majority, so everyone wins.

Fools idol

Banned
Great game. I had my Switch at the hospital with me when my wife went into labour... played most of that 30 hours or so wide awake with coffee waiting for baby to arrive.

I will forever cherish this gem for that time in my life.

DelireMan7

Maybe the game took a while to click for me but I still didnt feel comfortable with the systems, largely because I feel the game is guilty of throwing a mechanic at you and then, some of the time at least, you never having to use that mechanic for ages or even at all. I've long since forgotten why I'm slashing at the funny tree-looking things and the game hasn't given me a reason in ages to use the funny red glowing balls I'm collecting either.

But listen, all this translates to it being a good game for me and a great game for the majority, so everyone wins.

Fair point. The Dream Nail is a nice touch and allow to read thought of NPCs, enemies and corpse giving you more lore. But yes, the "tree" thing with the essence (red balls) is my least favorite thing of the game.
It gives you different reward for it and eventually allow you the access to an optional late game area. But it could have been done better.

Great game. I had my Switch at the hospital with me when my wife went into labour... played most of that 30 hours or so wide awake with coffee waiting for baby to arrive.

I will forever cherish this gem for that time in my life.
That's a wholesome story.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The user find the artstyle ugly, no need to sugar coat his opinion to not be accused to shit on the game.

Many people think that zelda botw has a great artstyle, to me it look like some low res galore shit with ugly ass character design (except for link)

Some people just have a more abrasive, less gentle way to say things.

When I first played Hollow Knight, I remember being taken aback by the art style as well. Not that it was ugly per se, but it was so strange and alien. As I got deeper, I realised how beautiful and captivating the game really was. The atmosphere/music really worked together to bring the art direction/design home. Though in saying all that, I can understand why some folks would not click with the game at first glance.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Awesome Game. The ending part is brillant. The lore of the game and its storytelling are really marvelous.
Yes love that storytelling (again very Dark Souls like for me). And the lore is quite interesting and dark.

The endings are so good. Really got me emotional. The whole melancholy atmosphere of this game is really my thing.

DelireMan7

When I first played Hollow Knight, I remember being taken aback by the art style as well. Not that it was ugly per se, but it was so strange and alien. As I got deeper game, I realised how beautiful and captivating the game really was. The atmosphere/music really worked together to bring the art direction/design home. Though in saying all that, I can understand why some folks would not click with the game at first glance.

Yes definitely there is something going on with the artstyle being not so appealing at first. I actually didn't want to play the game because of it.
Till a friend convinced me to try it at his place. 3 hours later I was conquered.

GymWolf

When I first played Hollow Knight, I remember being taken aback by the art style as well. Not that it was ugly per se, but it was so strange and alien. As I got deeper game, I realised how beautiful and captivating the game really was. The atmosphere/music really worked together to bring the art direction/design home. Though in saying all that, I can understand why some folks would not click with the game at first glance.
I think art design amd music are the best thing about the game.

Top Bottom