• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: I don't think I have played a game as speculatular as God Of War 3

Larsowitz

So I recently decided to play GOW 3 Remastered after completing God Of War 2018 on PC.

I thought God Of War 2018 was good, but my god, it feels so tame compared to God Of War 3. Seriously - this game is balls to the walls awesome from the get go. The sense of scale is unmatched, and every boss battle feels unique and epic.

The music is also spectacular. I don't recall much music being played during my God of War 2018 playthrough. Everything was so subdued. Furthermore, there is not a single boss battle in the sequel which compares to GOW 3 (except the final battle with Baldur).

Frankly I've enjoyed my time with GOW3 much more. It was an adrenaline fueled rollercoaster ride. And the level of brutality/violence was also much better in GOW3. There is absolutely no violence in the sequel and enemy bodies disappear after 1 microsecond. Hugely disappointing.

The one shot camera in God Of War 2018 really hurts the story telling and cinematic experience. I have no idea why developers think a one take direction is the way to go. I really did enjoy the introduction to GOW3 - with Zeus' speech and seeing the titans climb Mount Olympus. The way the camera zoomed in and out was a visual feat when battling the bosses and navigating parts of the game (eg Labyrinth). The fixed camera angles really did help with the cinematic approach (although I'm aware this is considered 'dated' game design).

I don't think I have played a game as spectacular as GOW3 to be honest. As a package, it delivers on all fronts - fun gameplay, great graphics, fantastic bosses, and a satisfying ending. In truth, I do miss the cinematic linear games of the old (God Of War 3, Resident Evil 4, Halo 3, Modern Warfare 2, Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid 1/2/3 etc) - although I don't think anything compares to God Of War 3. It takes the crown for being the most bombastic video game experience out there.
Have you tried Bayonetta?

In my opinion this is even more spectacular than GOW3. A bit more crazy overall as well. Combat is much more technical but on normal it is not too difficult.

I agree with you though, I just played the first 10 hours of GOW (2018) on PC recently and was quite disappointed.

Kagey K

Banned
It's the game I bought a PS3 for, and then realuzed i wasn't interested in many other Sony exclusives after trying them out.

So it convinces me to buy a PS3 and then told me Sony consoles were a waste of my money outside of this franchise (which they subsequently changed greatly since )

OZ9000

Banned
Dat soundtrack.

What happens when that music kicks in:

Soundtrack is fucking awesome.

Every time you fight enemies or face bosses there is superb music to accompany the fight.

GOW 2018 barely had any music - it truly annoys me when games do not have any music during gameplay. It takes away a lot from the immersion and atmosphere.

I also miss how mobile/agile Kratos was in GOW3 versus 2018. He's so slow, looks fat, and doesn't even jump.

Art direction in GOW3 is also phenomenal, and I preferred the puzzles too. I genuinely don't know how they designed the game so well. It's almost too good to be true. I know this sounds like hyperbole but GOW3 might well be one of the best games I have ever played flat out.

There is not a single section of the game which bores me.

It's so good that I am replaying it on Titan mode.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
It was stunning. I don't remember much of it, but I do remember the final boss being disappointing, considering how it starts.

god of war 3 had some graphically insane moments that almost couldn’t be believed at the time.

But god of war 2 is better. Gow3 is definitely the most cringe of the series.

It’s been a long time since I played the psp games but I feel like those are better as well… will have to play them again.

Ascension is better. And Ascension is pretty much the most detailed ps3 game ever.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Nah, not even close. I was amazed when I played GOW for the first time in ps2 era. Years later, it did not leave the same effect on me while playing GOW 3 on ps3. I'm glad they charted a new path for Kratos. It's so much better now, both story and gameplay wise. It would be better with increased FOV though.

OZ9000

Banned
Nah, not even close. I was amazed when I played GOW for the first time in ps2 era. Years later, it did not leave the same effect on me while playing GOW 3 on ps3. I'm glad they charted a new path for Kratos. It's so much better now, both story and gameplay wise. It would be better with increased FOV though.
Combat in GOW 2018 is too slow. I also don't like how they nerfed the range of the blades.

manfestival

Glad this thread exists. Definitely a huge fan of GoW 3. Though I think 2 is the pinnacle of the series. The latest was certainly enjoyable but it was missing something that the other games had.

OZ9000

Banned
GoW3 is a masterpiece in its genre. And a game that couldn't be done today.
The fairy crowd would be offended with how gruesome it is.

Genuinely hate what gaming has become now. Developers used to have much more creative freedom.

Now it's you go with the tide or get cancel cultured.

bender

What time is it?
So I started playing GoWIII yesterday since I somehow I own the PS4 version (PS+?). I haven't played the game since it originally launched on PS3. The opening is something else. I've never loved God Of War. While the games are enjoyable, I've always gravitated towards more technical action games (NG, DMC, Bayo). While he moved on after GOW2, I did start to wonder if davidjaffe davidjaffe is responsible, at least partially, for ushering in Sony's current trend of game development. Big budget titles, full of spectacle and wonderous set pieces, that don't have the most depth when compared to their contemporaries, but are rock solid and appeal to both the hardcore and the masses. Maybe a better discussion for another thread.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Have you tried Bayonetta?

In my opinion this is even more spectacular than GOW3. A bit more crazy overall as well. Combat is much more technical but on normal it is not too difficult.

I agree with you though, I just played the first 10 hours of GOW (2018) on PC recently and was quite disappointed.
I've tried it years ago. Didn't seem any different to DMC.

Does not hold a candle to the gorgeous art direction, level design, puzzles and bosses to GOW3.

I'm impressed how 'well connected' the levels are. Although GOW3 is a very linear game, the 'backtracking' is cleverly disguised.

I really wish Sony Santa Monica would take a good look at what made GOW3 so good - and implement this in Ragnarok. Unfortunately the trailer seems to suggest they're just going to continue the boring GOW 2018 formula.

Ian Henry

Among my fav games of all time. GOW 2018 was good but I do feel it was tame compared to 3. From a creative standpoint, SSM went all out on GOW 3 imo. A metroidvania in design but you would never notice it within the world which was cool. Everything felt unlimited and full of variety. Idk if I would ever see something like GOW3 again, it was chaotically concise.

Last edited:

Yoboman

GOW1-3 were great, especially the first two but by 3 you could definitely feel they were slipping on the narrative.

You can almost distinctly see where Barlog left GOW3 (he pretty much directed the intro and left). And the rest of the game felt like it never reached those heights.

And then we got God of War Ascension, a game that most people forget even exists

The problem for GOW was that it became a game of endless feat topping. Bigger and better bosses and more epic moments. And after you finish GOW3 it felt like there was nowhere left to go really. How do you top scaling titans to fight Gods? The feeling was also very much that Kratos had run dry as a character, his motivations completed and that nothing they could do is as epic as GOW3

Thats why GOW 2018 worked so well. It effectively reset the barometer, changed what we know about the series and really played into building the adventure elements of the first two games. It gave a new lease on life to Kratos's story which already felt complete. People who love it most will be the ones who have been there since the start and could most appreciate the change in direction on a stale formula

Id also mention that GOW3 was the peak of three series build up. Id hope the current saga can escalate the moments, bosses and combat system in the same way

Last edited:

chinoXL

GOW3 is the game you show off to your friends because the spectacle is crazy..2018 is a bit more balanced and shows off a bit less. I've played and beat all GOW games and I feel like they all have their place. I got into 2018 more since I liked how you couldn't just bully your way through enemies as you did in 1-3. i'm glad you got to play it OP, GOW is one of my favorite franchises.

GOW 3 is just amazing. I've played all the franchise and GOW3 and Ascension takes the crown to me.

Don't know why most of the people don't like Ascension, it is as good as 3. 2018 is an ok game to me, after beating it for the first time, I can't se myself going back to it. Nice graphics tho.

I loved Ascension too. It's not as good as the original trilogy for me, but it's still great and probably has the best gameplay in the series for me. I thought the art design failed to live up the main trilogy though. It was a bit busy/messy in comparison, and just didn't have that cohesive feeling imho.

I found on the weekend my receipt for GoW3 at my parents house

March 18th, 2010. I still remember booting it up for the 1st time and showing my old man the graphics

Also found Majora's Mask complete in box

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I loved Ascension too. It's not as good as the original trilogy for me, but it's still great and probably has the best gameplay in the series for me. I thought the art design failed to live up the main trilogy though. It was a bit busy/messy in comparison, and just didn't have that cohesive feeling imho.
Looking at my PSN trophy list, it appears I actually platinumed Ascension. I'm surprised because I don't remember the game at all... lol

GOW3 is the game you show off to your friends because the spectacle is crazy..2018 is a bit more balanced and shows off a bit less. I've played and beat all GOW games and I feel like they all have their place. I got into 2018 more since I liked how you couldn't just bully your way through enemies as you did in 1-3. i'm glad you got to play it OP, GOW is one of my favorite franchises.
I felt GOW3 was quite challenging, especially in Titan mode. There are a lot of tough enemies (as well as general mobs) but at least you have a greater arsenal of moves. The movement is so much better in GOW3 - you can dash both on the ground and mid-air in GOW3. Kratos feels so slow in 2018.

All the moves from God Of War 2/3 are now 'Runes' in 2018, which kinda sucks. I missed the variety of different moves with the blades.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Biggest problem with 3 is that it peaks really early:
8afde5d721bbd0e7c8185f542b943dee.gif

Don't take me wrong, there's plenty of cool moments later on. But I kept waiting for the the big moment that would match the intro and it never came.

But yeah, the game was fun. Overall I still prefer GOW 2018 but I did miss the over the top epicness of 3, the boss battles in particular all felt rather tame and scaled back. That's the one area where I really hope they step up their game in Ragnarok.

It did come when you fought Kronos. I found this and that fight pretty satisfying. GOW 3 has a lot of boss fights. Pick your fav. All of them are good. The Hermes one was good too.

chinoXL

Looking at my PSN trophy list, it appears I actually platinumed Ascension. I'm surprised because I don't remember the game at all... lol

I felt GOW3 was quite challenging, especially in Titan mode. There are a lot of tough enemies (as well as general mobs) but at least you have a greater arsenal of moves. The movement is so much better in GOW3 - you can dash both on the ground and mid-air in GOW3. Kratos feels so slow in 2018.

All the moves from God Of War 2/3 are now 'Runes' in 2018, which kinda sucks. I missed the variety of different moves with the blades.
all good points and i haven't tried it on Titan. he definitely was more nimble in the older games..he's almost like old man logan now. all this talk about 3 has me wanting to fire it up again!! i need to try this titan mode

Three

GoW 3 was all about the awesome boss fights. The spectacle is unmatched. Most of the regular fights were button mashing though. My thoughts:

Boss fights/variety : gow 3 > gow
Gameplay: gow > gow 3
Puzzles: gow 3 > gow
Story: gow == gow 3

PS: I can't believe nobody has spotted the spelling in the title.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
GoW 2018 sucks at being GoW, but it's good.

The fact that they went narrative but the story telling is the weakest point left me disappointed.

I think it could be done a lot better.

Top Bottom