• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4070 Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
Announcement Video & Info:

e5ruLL5.jpg

The GeForce RTX 4070 will be a high-end graphics card by NVIDIA, that is expected to launch on April 13th, 2023. Built on the 5 nm process, and based on the AD104 graphics processor, in its AD104-250-A1 variant, the card supports DirectX 12 Ultimate. This ensures that all modern games will run on GeForce RTX 4070. Additionally, the DirectX 12 Ultimate capability guarantees support for hardware-raytracing, variable-rate shading and more, in upcoming video games. The AD104 graphics processor is an average sized chip with a die area of 295 mm² and 35,800 million transistors. Unlike the fully unlocked GeForce RTX 4080 12 GB, which uses the same GPU but has all 7680 shaders enabled, NVIDIA has disabled some shading units on the GeForce RTX 4070 to reach the product's target shader count. It features 5888 shading units, 184 texture mapping units, and 64 ROPs. Also included are 184 tensor cores which help improve the speed of machine learning applications. The card also has 46 raytracing acceleration cores. NVIDIA has paired 12 GB GDDR6X memory with the GeForce RTX 4070, which are connected using a 192-bit memory interface. The GPU is operating at a frequency of 1920 MHz, which can be boosted up to 2475 MHz, memory is running at 1313 MHz (21 Gbps effective).Being a dual-slot card, the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 draws power from 1x 12-pin power connector, with power draw rated at 200 W maximum. Display outputs include: 1x HDMI 2.1, 3x DisplayPort 1.4a. GeForce RTX 4070 is connected to the rest of the system using a PCI-Express 4.0 x16 interface. The card's dimensions are 336 mm x 140 mm x 40 mm, and it features a dual-slot cooling solution.

Videos:

Blogposts:

average-fps-2560-1440.png

Pros​

• +Efficient and fast graphics card
  • +Great features at a mostly reasonable price
  • +Excellent ray tracing and AI hardware

Cons​

• - Still more expensive than the last-gen 3070
  • - Unnecessary 16-pin power connector and adapter
  • - DLSS 3 isn't really a killer feature

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

average-fps-2560-1440.png

1440p-p.webp

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Nvidia are asleep at the wheel. Given the performance and price point most purchasers will be better off looking towards AMD's high end last gen offerings.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

3080 performance 2 1/2 years later for $100 less. Holy stagnation.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well, at least it didn't go up in price. This is also a more compact two slot card, so, for people with smaller cases, at least this might be more of an option. Would have looked a lot better at $500, but I'm still surprised they didn't go $650 with it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Absolutely nuts that they are targeting 3080 levels of performance after giving the x70 card a $100 price increase.

In Comparison, the 3070 was $100 cheaper and offered 2080 Ti's levels of performance. 2080 Ti was the 3090 of its generation since it was 35% faster than even the 2080.

So Nvidia shouldve been offering 3090 levels of performance with this GPU.

This is a highway robbery.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Man the 3080 was a great card at a good price point.
Pretty much every card from lastgen was a true love letter to gamers considering the base RTX20s performance.
I think the 3070Ti, 3050 and 3090Ti were the only real stinkers.
Every other card has aged relatively well, even if I used to hate on the RTX3060, it looks like its still carrying its weight right now.

The 3060Ti was 399 MSRP......thats insane to think about today.
The 3080 an absolute beast.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Pretty much every card from lastgen was a true love letter to gamers considering the base RTX20s performance.
Every other card has aged relatively well, even if I used to hate on the RTX3060, it looks like its still carrying its weight right now.

Yeah after the 20 series the 30 series was a nice upgrade and hope the 50s get back into the proper groove

bbeach123

More like love letters to miners .

God damn cant find any card at even higher price point than msrp .

ToTTenTranz

Banned
It's a $600 graphics card that can barely keep up with the $650 cards from 2.5 years ago.
It just furthers the notion that Nvidia is trying keep to themselves all of the cost/performance improvements provided by fabrication technology advancements.

What a disgrace of a generation.

Schmendrick

This GPU gen continues to be a bitter disappointment. It says a lot if the only card where the bang/buck ratio is somewhat "ok" (very big "") is the fucking Titan.......

Last edited:

nkarafo

Kind of an attractive upgrade if you happen to still be on the 10 series cards and don't really care about 4k

I said this in another thread but had a friend upgrade from his 1070 to a 4070ti and he couldn't be happier would assume the same results here for people on older cards

I still have a 1060 6GB and i still don't know what card to get. This looks borderly fine, all things consider, at 600$ but i know i will be looking at a +50 Euros "tax" in Europe at least so it automatically goes to the garbage deals. 650+ euros is way beyond my budget as well.

The 4060 is also going to be the worst card of all time with 8GB VRAM, which isn't going to cut it even for 1080p in the very near future. And that's going to cost around 550/600 euros over here. It's a joke.

The 12GB 3060 at around 360 Euros seems like the best deal right now for me. But it's an old, low performance card. It's way better than what i have now but it's also something that will be needing an upgrade in less than 2 years.

I paid 300 euros for my 1060 and that was an amazing deal, even coming from a 960 2GB it was an almost 100% performance jump and 3x VRAM. Now i have to pay way more than that and 3 generations later instead of 1, to get the same performance jump with only 2x the VRAM, if i get the 3060.

Dunno, maybe it's time to get a PS5 and be done with this shit.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Honestly, even 12GB ain't good enough. Should be:

4050-4050 Ti: 8GB

4060-4060 Ti: 12GB

4070-4070 Ti: 16GB

4080-4080 Ti: 20GB

4090-4090 Ti: 24GB

They'd have to reconfigure the buses of course.

Theres a reason why no one should get PC advices from gaf. This is one of them.

MikeM

So 6800xt performance with less VRAM.

Yeah I get productivity and dlss, but still seems disappointing.

T4keD0wN

This is a bad deal, but itll probably end up looking like a good deal compared to the "rtx4060" (aka 4050 in disguise) so maybe itll sell.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So 6800xt performance with less VRAM.

Yeah I get productivity and dlss, but still seems disappointing.
Lastgen cards are all looking super amazing right now.

Hard to believe AMD is struggling so hard in the GPU space.
The 6000 series should be much much higher than they currently are on the Steam Hardware Survey.

If they can make a CUDA/OptiX competitor I think we might see their cards climb the charts.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Quit trolling.
no hes fucking right this shit should be 369, anything that isnt higher than 599 dollars. 3080 performance for 3080 price is fucking stupid, not to mention it's still fucking humungous like all the other 4000 series cards are so microatx users can't purchase it even if we wanted

Last edited:
Isnt 3050 was like 8G ?

The heck .

Yes, I hope they are targeting a lower price point as they are cutting costs....

This is supposed to replace the GTX 1650 that was 4G not the 3050. They need to stay in 75W though (so no power connector needed)

Ada is more power efficient than Ampere

Last edited:
Top Bottom