• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rules that level designers have/will not break - do you agree/have any more?

Always make it obvious what a switch does, either directly by having its action affect something readily visible, or indirectly through a camera change, a message or some other mechanism to let them know right away.
This is like an indirect jab at Romero who was involved in Hexen; that game was rich in atmosphere and obtuse switches.

Kuranghi

Bad first levels are the worst, AC: Valhalla is a master class in story wankage. Your story better be fucking really exciting if you introduce like fifteen (15) characters I don't know and tell me I should be excited as the PC is meeting them.

Knightime_X

Build your game around the player.
Doom 2 gives you plenty of seemingly overpowered weapons but balances gameplay by having you face waves of enemies instead of a handful of frustrating cheap enemies like Doom Eternal does.

Give the player a slight advantage such as making the player's hitbox extend a few pixels out further than the actual visibility of the attack like the chainwhip in 8/16bit castlevania games.

nkarafo

"the person who set up this computer has chosen to block this site"

Am i the only one?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Make it clear what switches do.

I disagree for some games like myst, it kills exploration and puzzles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom