• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] 343 is now stopping "active development" and become "franchise coordinator" of Halo. Halo Infinite Campaign DLCs scrapped, focus on MP support

Kacho

Gold Member
Who is this guy?
A random nobody. Probably best to take what he says with a grain of salt until someone credible reports on the state of 343 and Halo. Press sneak fuck is no doubt contacting employees that got laid off for a big article. Give it a month or so.

I do believe that 343 Halo is done at this point. Microsoft needs to hand off the IP to a competent team.

Someone make sure SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage is okay

Why would I believe any of this is true? Who was expecting a full Halo Campaign sequel this year? This is Starfield's year buddy. 343i now gets to plan the future while working on the live service part and then announce the next big campaign when it's ready. I want Halo campaign story dlc, but in reality we've never gotten it before. And as much as I want that, I want a big next-gen only mainline Halo more.

So your first mistake was thinking I took any of what a random guy on twitter is saying seriously. People also believed those Fable rumors and the Halo ditching slipspace for unreal 5 rumors. Why is anybody whining about a Halo campaign exactly a year after the last one came out. I didn't know Halo campaigns suddenly had 2 year cycles.

Wildcard: give Halo to Platinum Games.

tumblr_oqjdtjgdEU1r7sijxo1_500.gif
Remember boys, shite opinions are everywhere.

Platinum fucking sucks.

jm89

Why would I believe any of this is true? Who was expecting a full Halo Campaign sequel this year? This is Starfield's year buddy. 343i now gets to plan the future while working on the live service part and then announce the next big campaign when it's ready. I want Halo campaign story dlc, but in reality we've never gotten it before. And as much as I want that, I want a big next-gen only mainline Halo more.

So your first mistake was thinking I took any of what a random guy on twitter is saying seriously. People also believed those Fable rumors and the Halo ditching slipspace for unreal 5 rumors. Why is anybody whining about a Halo campaign exactly a year after the last one came out. I didn't know Halo campaigns suddenly had 2 year cycles.
What keyboard do you use bro? I need something that can take a beating.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’d be very sad to hear they scrapped singleplayer DLC for Infinite..

Other than that though this sound like decent news. I’m just constantly baffled by how poorly Halo Infinite is handled and has been handled by 343i, distancing them more from the development of future games only sounds good to me.

recursive

People online love to talk shit, take joy when bad things happen to the plastic box they don't support, etc. So many fanboys that pretend to have a personal vested interest in the misery of developers and IPs they don't care about, pretty wild tbh but I get it. Everyone wants to be on the winning team even if at the end of the day everyone is just a consumer, so it really is what it is.

That said, its a shame they weren't able to capitalize on what they had during that launch window. There are a lot of Halo fans that deserve better.
Yea or people call a turd a turd and some certain fanbois only see sparkles.

Halo didn't deserve this but 343 absolutely does. Halo went from the top dog in the FPS scene to middle of the road at best. Part of the blame lies at Spencer's/Xbox's feet because of how they propped up incompetent management.
Phil reminds me of a wartime general. You need someone to come in with good ideas and rally the troops so you can right the ship, he's the guy. Which is what he did with Xbox. Shuttered the underperforming studios, brought in some key features and ideas, and bolstered the in-house talent through acquisitions. It feels like his work is done and now its time to hand the keys to someone more equipped to manage what they have, the right way.

gothmog

Gold Member
I feel bad for the hardcore Halo fans if it's true. 343 fucks up over and over again and I feel like we are losing Halo and not 343?

Halo didn't deserve this but 343 absolutely does. Halo went from the top dog in the FPS scene to middle of the road at best. Part of the blame lies at Spencer's/Xbox's feet because of how they propped up incompetent management.

Halo was never top dog. It had zero competition in the console space. Hate to tell you guys the truth, but that's the truth. Counter-Strike 1.5/1.6 has been a superior multiplayer experience on PC for years. I constantly need to remind people that only about 25 million people bought that first Xbox. And the majority of Xbox 360 owners never touched Halo 3 or any of the other games. The moment another top tier FPS dropped in COD, you saw what started taking place. And then stronger and stronger shooters started showing up. I've become a big fan of Halo for its singleplayer campaign stories.

People keep living in a past where Halo was something it never was. Even what some thought were its biggest launches were outdone by both Halo 4 and Halo 5. Games made by 343i. Halo Infinite also had the biggest launch in series history by far. The game won multiple GOTYs, reviewed strong. So, yea, just another case of people who weren't so much fans of Halo hoping Halo dies and are now here prematurely celebrating what? Nothing at all. Another rumor that will be proven false at the relevant time and place.

XXL

Halo was never top dog. It had zero competition in the console space. Hate to tell you guys the truth, but that's the truth. Counter-Strike 1.5/1.6 has been a superior multiplayer experience on PC for years. I constantly need to remind people that only about 25 million people bought that first Xbox. And the majority of Xbox 360 owners never touched Halo 3 or any of the other games. The moment another top tier FPS dropped in COD, you saw what started taking place. And then stronger and stronger shooters started showing up. I've become a big fan of Halo for its singleplayer campaign stories.

People keep living in a past where Halo was something it never was. Even what some thought were its biggest launches were outdone by both Halo 4 and Halo 5. Games made by 343i. Halo Infinite also had the biggest launch in series history by far. The game won multiple GOTYs, reviewed strong. So, yea, just another case of people who weren't so much fans of Halo hoping Halo dies and are now here prematurely celebrating what? Nothing at all. Another rumor that will be proven false at the relevant time and place.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Xbox wouldn't even exist without the success of the first Halo games made by Bungie.

You better put some respect on that shit considering you unapologetically worship the fucking brand.

Kids these days....

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Gears of War Infinite next staring Master Chief?

This is going to make a great documentary one day. But honestly, HALO and Master Chief deserve better. This is similar to Nintendo killing Pokemon. How can you drop the ball on what is 'XBOX' in a nutshell. Maybe Call of Duty can save them or Perfect Dark.

The question is, how many studios are in a similar situation under Micrsoft? it can't be just 343. Where are the games.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Didn't microsoft announce that the game had reached 20 millions of players? Where did it go wrong?

everybody played it for like 2 weeks and it was good. then there was just no reason to keep playing. the game is solid, and i found the multiplayer fun when i was playing it. they just completely failed to follow up on it and billed it as a live service game. there's like 4 fuckin maps in the game.

YuLY

I get this sense we are witnessing the start of Xbox downfall.
I cant stand arrogant Sony and their fanbois. So I would certainly put myself more in the Xbox camp (mainly PC gamer). But...I kinda have to agree. Barely any games just promises and delays, Acti-Blizz thing doesnt seem to end, Fable dev is late and people leaving Playground, Perfect Dark couldnt be handled by main internal studio and they had to bring in Crystal Dynamics from Embracer, this Halo thing...They just seem bad at it man. Future seems weird, very dependable on Acti-Blizz going through and gamepass keeping up the numbers, I wont even imagine what happens if something like Starfield disappoints.

Last edited:

Thread Summary:
  • 343 seems to have lost around 1/3 of its workforce (internal + contractors)
  • 2023 plans seem unchanged by this major reshape: focus was and still is on MP for this year (Forge MM, new Seasons/BP, New maps and probably Tatanka)
  • Before Bonnie Ross quitting, Joseph Staten with a small team was preparing to ship multiple contained Campaign DLC to expand its narrative over the months or even years. This plan was stopped when Pierre Hintze and the new key roles came in after Ross as they've seen too much complexity in creating new contents for Campaign + was not enough profitable for them to sustain, so they decided to completely halt them in favor on focusing on MP only for the time being (this may have led to Staten deciding to leave too)
  • Halo Infinite largely missed its financial and overall goals and led to Microsoft decision to halt 343 "active development" transforming (or regress?) them into "franchise coordinators"
  • This means that other than supporting Halo Infinite MP (which is already largely externalized to Certain Affinity, Spearsoft and others), their role will be limited to make sure different external studios will create further Halo projects (direct sequels to Infinite story or spin-offs of different genre) respecting all the established lore and fundamentals for the IP
  • Slipspace Engine is still in place along with its internal engineers, but it will be opened up to learn and use also to all external studios working with the IP (if they want)
  • In this sense, 343 together with Microsoft Game Publishing started contacting (and contracting) with external studios to create "future Halo experiences" together since 2020, also with the aim to reduce/optimize costs/budget

So basically, Halo as we know it has arrived to an end...

Thank you Pelta for the thread. Much appreciated.
It’s a real shame if this turns out true. 😔

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
part of it is Microsoft's fault, they should have invest more on new IP.
I Guess thats why they need Activision.

If the acquisition fails (unlikely), just imagine how f*** Microsoft Xbox division situation.

Topher

Gold Member

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

ksdixon

Whaaaat? No way, I call bullshit. Aren't Halo Infinite players still waiting for features promised for the games launch?

How you gonna do Halo/it's fans like that? It is supposed to be XB's number 1 IP right?

Who could have foreseen this? It turns out you can’t just create a studio out of this air, hand them your biggest IP and expect them to churn out system selling games.

Let’s face it, 343 is a trash tier developer. Propped up until now with Microsoft money. They never had to make it as a studio by themselves. They never earned the right to work on such a great IP. Bonnie Ross and Phil Spencer virtue signalled to the world about just how ‘diverse and inclusive‘ the studio was. One problem, they forgot to hire actual talent. Writers and producers that understood the franchise. Developers willing to innovate and move the genre forward. 343 Halo is a regression in almost every sense. There is hardly anything that the latest entry does better than the earlier Bungie games. Halo by committee doesn’t work. Mass market appeal doesn’t always fit. Let Halo breathe for a while then allow a developer that is actually worthy to bring it back to life. Perhaps a reboot from the beginning following more closely to the novels would be a good place to start.

The man is PR gold to many. Never got it myself. I forgot to send him a birthday card recently , was more interested in the actual Xbox product being better you see..

T4keD0wN

If i were to acquire Call of duty i would too disconnect Halo from life support. Not prematurely though.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

People were screaming for a shakeup of 343 for years - and here it is - plain as day.
The franchise isnt dead - its just going on (another) long break.
As a hardcore fan of the franchise its sad to see all the mishaps in recent years - and im pissed off - but its going to be for the best in the end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom