• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] 343 is now stopping "active development" and become "franchise coordinator" of Halo. Halo Infinite Campaign DLCs scrapped, focus on MP support

Havoc2049

People at The Coalition too? wtf, why them?
Gears 5 has been out of the Xbox Top 50 for about a year and a half now. I mean we don't know the extent of the lay offs. It could just be like 10 people or something and the next Gears game is still in the works.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If 343 are to become franchise coordinators rather than a development studio, then that could mean what people around here have been asking for for the last couple of years. it's now possible: Other studios to be making Halo games.

iD software could be getting the call now.

Last edited:
Craig_The_Halo_Infinite_Brute_Banner.jpg

Craig not happy

Banjo64

cumsessed
I personally enjoy playing infinite more.

But MCC is wonderful for all of those that prefer older halo.

I still need to playthrough odst & reach on the collection at some point :)
My main issue with Infinite right now is that the Custom Game Browser doesn’t seem to be finished? A lot of the time it refuses to let me load in to a game, yesterday I got in one parkour map but after that it wouldn’t let me join another. It’s just not a smooth experience at all for me, and hasn’t since launch. The MCC one worked every time.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I don't care what happens to 343. They were given the crown jewel and dropped it repeatedly for years. I just hope whoever gets the franchise does right with it.

FireFly

So basically, Halo as we know it has arrived to an end...
We don't know Halo (as we know it) is at an end. It completely depends on what the external teams decide to do with it. And these changes were what many people on the forums were asking for! Yet of course now people get what they want, it's the worst thing in the world, Halo is doomed etc.

My main issue with Infinite right now is that the Custom Game Browser doesn’t seem to be finished? A lot of the time it refuses to let me load in to a game, yesterday I got in one parkour map but after that it wouldn’t let me join another. It’s just not a smooth experience at all for me, and hasn’t since launch. The MCC one worked every time.
It's not finished. It was going to be released at the start of season 3, but they brought its release forward on the basis that a buggy browser is better than no browser.

Last edited:
Multiplayer for Halo Infinite is a shit show and not much fun for me personally. Preferred Halo 3, much more satisfying multiplayer game.

I’m not sure how hard it is to replicate that but clearly it’s impossible.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It's not finished. It was going to be released at the start of season 3, but they brought its release forward on the basis that a buggy browser is better than no browser.
Thanks for the info.

Pretty much kills the remaining smidgeon of interest I have in the game.

RPS37

Would I completely blow your mind if I told you that I’m currently having a pretty damn good time playing Infinite Multiplayer lately?

Wtf is this? :

"According to them:

- Narrative solo content has proven to be difficult to produce over the past few years
- Not offering strong player retention
- Not allowing viable monetization for the sustainability of the studio and the teams"

Whatever happened to "make a good single player game" and the rest takes care of itself?

Also I thought gamepass was supposed to allow these studios to create single player content without the burden of financial concern and microtransactions? Sonething doesn't add up here.
Singleplayer games are dead! Don't you remember?

Forsythia

What a shitshow. They should let the IP rest for a while and work on a total reboot, or sequels to Halo 3 and forget the others exist (like Hallowoon or Texas Chainsaw Massacre).

anthony2690

Banned
I just play QuickPlay currently, I haven't really used the custom browser, I hope they resolve the issues asap.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I fully agree that the post launch support has left a lot to be desired/was abysmal, I dropped off for a couple months when cod came out, but I'm back playing infinite and having a lot of fun.

But it feels like everyone here wants halo to fail sadly or jump on the hate wagon for 343.

I was really hoping they could bring people back, but it is starting to look like it is too late :(
You need to take comments with the huge grain of console fanboy salt. Some people are so pathetically obsessed with their team, they like to see others fail. Others, who can afford more then one platform, just care about games. Halo was a fun game in single player. I certainly want more of that. Multiplayer is not something I care about because it requires some kind of commitment.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Why would indies want to use it?
Because, the more engines to tinker with the better.

Its job to worker thread distribution system could/should make it easier for Indie devs to make multithreaded titles.
The way it can calculate fixed rate functions even at arbitrary framerates could come in handy for a dev who is making a game that requires precise timings but doesnt want to lock the framerate.

anthony2690

Banned
The_Mike The_Mike answering your question from another thread, where for some strange reason, you was accused of trying to derail.

I'm taking it with a gran of salt, till it's official or that Jason fella confirms the above.

Really disappointing if true, as I was super excited for the endless.

Along with 343, three other studios worked on Halo. Sperasoft, Skybox Labs and Certain Affinity.
Skybox Labs got bought out by Netease and will no longer be a support studio and rather work on Netease games.
I think Microsoft will do what it has done with Edios and Crystal Dynamics.
As they can't buy any studios at the moment until ABK gets finalised, they will just employ them to work full time on Halo until they are able to buy them.

People asked why Sony didn't buy Edios and Crystal Dynamics as they sold cheap and Sony has a good relationship with Square.
Well, as both of them were working developing Perfect Dark and Fable, what good are they to Sony? They would be contracted to MS for these games, and Sony won't be buying studios that will have to spend their time making games for Xbox.
Master-stroke by Microsoft.
Now those two studios will sit there until Microsoft is finished with ABK.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Along with 343, three other studios worked on Halo. Sperasoft, Skybox Labs and Certain Affinity.
Skybox Labs got bought out by Netease and will no longer be a support studio and rather work on Netease games.
I think Microsoft will do what it has done with Edios and Crystal Dynamics.
As they can't buy any studios at the moment until ABK gets finalised, they will just employ them to work full time on Halo until they are able to buy them.

People asked why Sony didn't buy Edios and Crystal Dynamics as they sold cheap and Sony has a good relationship with Square.
Well, as both of them were working developing Perfect Dark and Fable, what good are they to Sony? They would be contracted to MS for these games, and Sony won't be buying studios that will have to spend their time making games for Xbox.
Master-stroke by Microsoft.
Now those two studios will sit there until Microsoft is finished with ABK.
this Mastet-Stroke by MS is backfiring already.

VAVA Mk2

Why is Microsoft so incapable of properly handling their major studios? The difference between them and Sony in this regard is just massive.
The sad thing is many of us have seen and called this out for years with 343i's ineptitude and only just now MS Execs realize it and are taking action after 343i butchered Halo's legacy and Bonnie Ross fled with a bunch of industry awards and swag swaddled in her arms as fast as she could.

Naked Lunch

Makes you wonder what the fuck they were doing during the first 4 years or so of "development" for Halo Infinite.
There were lots of rumors, some even saying it was a godawful Overwatch-like Hero Shooter at one point.
A handful of directors left during the project - which is a fact.
Sounds like the core game got scrappped and reworked multiple times.
Just a mess.

What Infinite turned out to be is decent - better than 4 and 5 - mp is fun and as close to classic Halo as its been in 343's tenure - but overall Infinite is far below what it should have been. Again as a huge Halo fan, im not sure what the problem is - the template has been there for 20 years. Just make us some cool Halo shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom