• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] 343 is now stopping "active development" and become "franchise coordinator" of Halo. Halo Infinite Campaign DLCs scrapped, focus on MP support

gatti-man

Fuckers! Halo deserves better. It feels like no one at MS actually likes games. How does Sony churn out classics and MS literally shits all over every IP it directly manages. Unbelievable even a blind monkey would have done something right by now.

Shubh_C63

....Good.

And established lore ?
lol being tracked on current established lore might be a mess but they gotta commit now. Can't change for the third time.

Also interested to see the eventual time traveling scenario being played out. They are trying to bring back Cortana.

Azurro

Banned
I still fully maintain the future is a campaign-less Halo. Despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews from both critics and users about the campaign's quality, the earned achievement statistics on both Xbox and Steam shows a minority of players engaged with the campaign compared to multiplayer.

I'm not an Xbox owner, but wasn't only the multiplayer part the only one that could be accessed free through Gamepass and you actually had to buy the campaign? Or am I remembering wrong?

Last edited:

CRAIG667

I'll wait for an official announcement or that Jason fella to reveal the bad news above.

I'll be pretty damn annoyed, if I do not get my halo infinite the endless. :/

I really like halo infinite multiplayer too, so I'll be sad to see that die out too :(

Edit:
I feel like I'm only guy here that doesn't want infinite to fail, as it is a game I genuinely really enjoy playing.

I hear you, it's the one multiplayer game I still play daily!

Actually just started my 2nd campaign playthrough too. I LOVE the campaign so canceled content really stings.

Arsic

Gold Member
Halo died after Reach. Now with this forray into downs completed maybe Phil can spend some of his activision bucks to give the IP to someone who can make a good game . Seriously should’ve bought the split gate team , and had the coalition helm the campaign, visuals, etc. Splitgate guys know how to make a good MP game and all love Halo dearly. Given the actual IP they’d make something special for the MP fans.

Last edited:

Dunnas

I'm not an Xbox owner, but wasn't only the multiplayer part the only one that could be accessed free through Gamepass and you actually had to buy the campaign? Or am I remembering wrong?
No, multiplayer is free to play for everyone. The campaign was available through gamepass or to buy.

No I wanted split-screen multiplayer mode where it's easy to have a few friends over and play like the good old days. Not this you need to work around this menu and enable that setting to do what Halo Legacy complete does on the fly!
Well I wanted that too - but when they said they weren’t that’s when I was done

That's up to those in the game industry to decide. I think the issue is that Shrierer blurs the lines between an activist and a journalist.
I understand.
Not opening this can of worms in a thread about Halo and 343.
And yeah this is getting off topic. Haha.

And I do agree with Chiggs Chiggs to a certain extent. If by the end of this year Xbox has not brought out a decent amount of exclusives then I think it will be time for Phil to go.

As a primary Xbox gamer I do want to see Xbox do well and churn out good exclusives. 👍🏻

Last edited:
The base multiplayer for infinite was fine but it was pretty bare bones for what was meant to be GaaS game.

I did not enjoy single player that much tbh. The world was bare for an open world

Alphagear

Was Halo ever great?

Personally it was a very good shooter in the console market which had no competition at the time.

Things changed when Halo 3 arrived and the competition showed what an average shooter it is.

Combine that with Bungie leaving and it being given to incompetent developers was the final nail in the coffin.

Last edited:

aries_71

Was Halo ever great?

Personally it was a very good shooter in the console market which had no competition at the time.

Things changed when Halo 3 arrived and the competition showed what an average shooter it is.

Combine that with Bungie leaving and it being given to incompetent developers was the final nail in the coffin.
In my opinion, is just the other way around. After playing Deatloop, Doom, Control and a Call of Duty of the Xbox One era in quick succession, you realize how good and unequalled the combat loop of Halo is.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Halo died after Reach
Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

Dutchy

Was Halo ever great?

Factually untrue because Halo 3 is when literally every aspect of the game peaked. In both tournament play (MLG), sales figures and even longevity (it sustained a lot of players, years after release). It wasn't until Reach that the IP started to get tainted but that had everything to do with the game itself. Halo 4/5/Infinite are just bad Halo games and average shooters, simply put.

Shut0wen

I'll wait for an official announcement or that Jason fella to reveal the bad news above.

I'll be pretty damn annoyed, if I do not get my halo infinite the endless. :/

I really like halo infinite multiplayer too, so I'll be sad to see that die out too :(

Edit:
I feel like I'm only guy here that doesn't want infinite to fail, as it is a game I genuinely really enjoy playing.
Tbf infinte gameplay wise is top notch, 343 did good with making the gameplay alot like reach while adding new things to it, the game as a f2p model is what killed infinte also 343s way of expanding the franchise personally killed it for me, i dont give a shit about cortana, the way they brought back the forerunners was incredibly disappointing and halo 4 and 5 are just bad games, bungie kept it simple with humans vs aliens

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

From an outsiders viewpoint - absolutely everyone higher up involved with Halo 4/5/Infinite are now gone. Including Bonnie Ross and multiple leads.
The only name I know left is the guy that fixed the MCC - and that dude is now the head of 343 as of just a couple months back.
To me, those are all good things. A clean slate to start fresh. Boot the people who tried to change the formula too much. Insanity it took this long though.

343 was created from day one to continue Halo post-Bungie - there would be no more Halo if not for the studio. It was a kaleidoscope of 'talent' from around the industry including people like the Japanese dude who was the Metal Gear Solid sound designer for Halo 4 - my point is, these were apparently good people who wanted to keep the Halo legacy going, even leaving other gaming gigs to do it.
It seems all the failures fall squarely on the management, but for some reason these managers were still able to stick around year after year. They're gone now.

We know that Certain Affinity is working on a Halo project currently. CA has created some of the best Halo content of the past 15 years when consulted.

Infinite's multiplayer is good enough that the Halo multiplayer faithful will stick around to play it (im one of them) - especially with the new (frankly incredible) forge in the wild.
The 10 year Infinite plan though, is no doubt scrapped. The same way they said Halo 4 was the start of a new trilogy (which never happened).

The Halo franchise is bigger than just the games - 343 is in charge of all the toys, books, merch - they are also in charge of the entire Halo storyline bible. A high quality (500+ page huge) Halo Encyclopedia released in 2022. The Halo novels are still churning out, one released this past summer, more incoming in 2023. New action figures planned. Maybe 343 will just be in charge of that end of it - and in charge of the storyline bible.

Tough to see the future - but the franchise isnt dead. There is some light at the end of the tunnel dropping most of the people who were at the head of it all these past years.

Last edited:

Wulfer

Was Halo ever great?

Ah, without Halo you wouldn't be having those great shooters Remember That! Also, Halo owes it's success to Goldeneye the first real console shooter. Goldeneye owes its success to ID and Doom from the PC that started it all. Next time you want to talk a title down like Halo you remember these words.

reinking

Gold Member
Hi. Just stopping in to once again say:

Phil Spencer needs to go.
I don't know if I agree but I do feel like my trust in the Xbox brand is shrinking. My interest in Xbox right now is Game Pass and I hope that Starfield launches without controversy.

FireFly

Was Halo ever great?

Halo 3 was a sandbox shooter with some of the best level design in the series. Which games at the time were comparable?

Chiggs

I don't know if I agree but I do feel like my trust in the Xbox brand is shrinking. My interest in Xbox right now is Game Pass and I hope that Starfield launches without controversy.

I think everyone's is. I am by no means an Xbox hater. I love that Microsoft is a competitor in the industry...I hope they stay, but Spencer's leadership is a problem.

aries_71

From an outsiders viewpoint - absolutely everyone higher up involved with Halo 4/5/Infinite are now gone. Including Bonnie Ross and multiple leads.
Until Wolfkill and O’Conner aren’t out of the company or moved to other MS jobs, Halo isn’t safe.

spons

Gold Member
lol what a pathetic statement. Countless of people lost their jobs over bullshit but "Halo is here to stay"? dude.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I do not see how this news changes that. The worst thing that can happen is for this studio mismanagement to spread.
spread?. Xbox mismanagement has been since the second half of the 360 era. and the initiative and playground's fable are keeping the tradition alive.

demonstr8

This is actually a worse outcome. Halo needs to go to another studio instead. People were glad that it was possibly leaving the hands of 343 and into someone at least reliable like CA but now they can be sure the next game will probably suffer from the same problems as the last 3, I feel sorry for those people who Halo is their favourite franchise.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This is just sad really. I was never a Halo fan, being a PlayStation gamer mostly when it came to consoles. But seeing this once great, titanic franchise just kind of fizzle out feels bad as a gamer. This shouldn't be happening IMO.

Halo died after Reach. Now with this forray into downs completed maybe Phil can spend some of his activision bucks to give the IP to someone who can make a good game . Seriously should’ve bought the split gate team , and had the coalition helm the campaign, visuals, etc. Splitgate guys know how to make a good MP game and all love Halo dearly. Given the actual IP they’d make something special for the MP fans.
yeah because split gate is an amazing hit.

btw halo infinites mp is better than shitgates.

Top Bottom