• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] 4060TI coming in May for $450

Spyxos

Gold Member
XrS6yFPKaem8z5m39tMTXJ-1200-80.jpg.webp

The expected launch of the Nvidia RTX 4060 Ti has been penned in for May by the rumour mongers and, as we shuffle through April, we're starting to hear noises about the pricing for the green team's next most affordable graphics card. With a potential sticker price of $450 the RTX 4060 Ti would be only $50 more expensive than the last generation's RTX 3060 Ti.

The rumour has come from sources cultivated by the Red Gaming Tech channel, reportedly from the same source which provided an early $599 figure for the recently launched RTX 4070. And I've got to say it scans with what we know about the card.

We're expecting performance a little beyond the RTX 3070, which itself was a $499 graphics card. And, given the way pricing has worked out with the RTX 4070 being around RTX 3080 performance for $100 less, $50 less than the RTX 3070's original price point kinda makes sense.

The real sticky issue for the RTX 4060 Ti is its 8GB VRAM limitation. Like the RTX 4070, it will come with a fair chunk of L2 cache attached to the GPU itself, and that will help keep the bandwidth numbers up. At least when compared to what you might otherwise see on a 128-bit memory bus as the card is rumoured to have. But that only helps in bandwidth, not actual capacity to deal with a whole load of game data.

And even so, the rumoured 288 GB/s of memory bandwidth is significantly below the RTX 3070 of the last generation, and the RTX 3060 Ti, even though both older cards were similarly 8GB, too.

The new price could be $399.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-rtx-4060-ti-rumoured-to-cost-dollar450-at-launch-in-may/

Last edited:

Sanepar

Let’s just get this 4000 series over with already. What a crappy generation this has been for GPUs. I’m hoping Nvidia come to their senses with the 5000 series, that’s when I’ll upgrade my 3080.
They will. 5080 will be $1500. We are just going up my friend.

Last edited:

amigastar

Let’s just get this 4000 series over with already. What a crappy generation this has been for GPUs. I’m hoping Nvidia come to their senses with the 5000 series, that’s when I’ll upgrade my 3080.
I can't imagine they change their formula for 5000 series. But isn't 4000 series better than 3000 one in terms of price?

Jinzo Prime

Does it feel like these cards are coming out very quickly, or is it just me? Are they doing well in the market, or are they rushing though the chips they have ordered to get to the 5000 series?

Moriah20

Yea no. You can still buy an RX 6700 / RX 6750 for cheaper. Even if the 4060/ti is marginally faster, they are gonna be so fucked with that VRAM capacity, even at 1080p.

(and if we invoke RT, oh boy. even more fucked)

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

The only thing crappy about this generation is some people are not able to buy one due to prices ( Even though I think the 4090 and 4070 are more than fairly priced. but the 4090 is more than a generational leap over other cards. way above the 4080 even.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

I'm fine with my 3080 at 1440p 144fps. I'll take a look at the 5xxx series when it's out but I might wait even longer to pick up a used 5xxx at a discount. Honestly the whole gpu situation makes me pissed.

The only thing crappy about this generation is some people are not able to buy one due to prices ( Even though I think the 4090 and 4070 are more than fairly priced. but the 4090 is more than a generational leap over other cards. way above the 4080 even.
No it's not just pricing. All the cards below the 4090 have really poor gen over gen improvements together with poor pricing. They're giving the finger to people on a budget.

Knightime_X

I'll wait for the $1k 5070ti 12gb....................
:messenger_loudly_crying:
I have no idea what's in store with 5x cards

Last edited:
The gap between okay, practically free iGPUs, sort of useless or overpriced entry or medium cards and actual meaningful upgrades is insane this gen.
Just a weird gen of gpus, while the profits may be great in the high end market, there are definitely some buyers who pay anything, but leaving the the old mass market prices behind, whilst the games demand high end and also require numbers in sales themselves, will lead to a problem. Many games will be like Crysis, running okay on high end but not enough will have high end hw. Almost like F2P which is financed by rather few whales but the masses will not be invited at all to bolster user count.
I don't see how that is going to work well. 4090 owners certainly are exactly the people also willing to pay 70/80 or more for some collectors crap, but will they be enough to make a PC release worthwhile if many people are stuck two or three gens behind and not willing to pay these "entry level" prices?

I'm fine with my 3080 at 1440p 144fps. I'll take a look at the 5xxx series when it's out but I might wait even longer to pick up a used 5xxx at a discount. Honestly the whole gpu situation makes me pissed.
Same, my 3080 is doing great and I’ve no intention of upgrading right now since I’m playing at 1440p too. If the 5000 series offers a sensibly priced upgrade and I can carry on playing at 1440p 120+ fps then I’ll jump on board. We’ll see though, I’m not overly confident that Nvidia will take the consumer friendly route.

PeteBull

This has to be the worst gen of GPUs ever. The price/performance is a complete disgrace.
Indeed, only card with relatively acceptable price/perf is 4090, which is targeted at buyers who have very flexible to not say close to unlimited budget, rest of the gpus in the stack are either at least 20% overpriced, or got at least 50% too low vram(altho preferably would love 2x vram across the board) or both of those flaws =/
But sometimes u gotta upgrade, as a gaming enthusiast, its not always possible to hold out another year/another gen and wait patiently, i broke once too, buying 3080ti for 2200€ right in the august 2021 aka mid of last crypto boom- diablo2 ressurected was launching soon and i simply panicked ;*(

PeteBull

I'm still using a 1080ti, would this be worth the upgrade (not bothered about rtx)?
Nope if leaked specs are confirmed, its actually downgrade for u, vram wise, from 11 to 8gigs only, rumored performance should be somewhere around 3070 to 3070ti range, so looking at this
u can see its +37%(if its at 3070 lvl) or +46%(if its at 3070ti lvl).

Rule of thumb when upgrading ur gpu- dont get next one with less vram vs ur current one, in which case it means if u wanna upgrade get at the least rx 4070 from nvidia (+79% perf, 12gigs vram)or 6800(+51%)/xt(+71%)/6950xt (+99%)- all 3 with 16gigs vram, from amd to get both massive performance boost and more vram too.

I'm still using a 1080ti, would this be worth the upgrade (not bothered about rtx)?
A 3060ti with something like 16GB of VRAM would offer a decent rupgrade in raster performance over a 1080ti, and a huge upgrade in modern games with RTX and DLSS 2/3, but with only 8GB you will be VRAM limited in pretty much every new AAA game.

Buying with 8GB GPU in 2023 is not a good idea. RTX 4070 with 12GB is IMO MUCH better upgrade coming from 1080ti 11GB.

Last edited:

PeteBull

A 3060ti with something like 16GB of VRAM would offer a decent rupgrade in raster performance over a 1080ti, and a huge upgrade in modern games with RTX and DLSS 2/3, but with only 8GB you will be VRAM limited in pretty much every new AAA game.

Buying with 8GB GPU in 2023 is not a good idea. RTX 4070 with 12GB is IMO MUCH better upgrade coming from 1080ti 11GB.
It all depends what are ur goals/expectations, recently i helped a buddy to chose upgrade to his current pc rig-wallmart bought prebuild, including1060 3gigs, back in 2017.

For such a person and obviously strickly 1080p gaming, i went with under 1,1k usd build, 5800x3d and 12gigs 6700xt- again hard budget restrictions but can be done and for him it will be massive jump +167% of prerformance, 12gigs of vram will last him for a while, as u can see from his previous pc- he tends to upgrade only after few solid years- same way with cpu, longevity and quality of gaming at the same time at relatively midrange budget was key.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
They wont unless the continued low demand is taken seriously. The XX80 series is going to be stuck in the shitty, too expensive for what it gets you compared to the XX90 series bin and the lower cards are going to be in the not much of an upgrade from last gen bin. Software only features are not the answer.

I get what they are doing because there really isn't much more they can do. If they were to make the Y070 equivalent to the (Y-1)090 then that makes those cards good enough for 4k gaming for a while. So they need to keep the performance bump low, the price high, and add SW only features to differentiate. This creates more demand for the next level card for those that can afford it and keeps a huge delta between the top and lower cards.

Hot5pur

If you are on a 2 year upgrade cycle at 1080p or 1440p an 8GB card is probably fine at high settings and you have DLSS in your back pocket. I play on a 10GB 3080 most recent titles at 4k60, and with DLSS if using raytracing especially, and I'm not worried about being on till 50xx or even 60xx, most likely will go for 50xx refresh.

The problem is Nvidia is asking for $400-500 midrange upgrade, and if you do that every 2 years that is quite a hefty gaming fee. Might as well go console (you'd be buying a PS5 every 2 years effectively). If Nvidia wants to charge these prices it better give more longevity to the cards, and the 8GB is a gigantic slap in the face in this regard. Honestly it feels like they are doing it to push people into the upper range or guarantee they have to upgrade on a faster cycle.

I really hope they get a Twitter lashing for this, as they did with the scummy 4080 12GB. Quickly becoming a garbage company. Not sure AMD is much better but at least they are creating more value for the customer.

JCK75

I want to upgrade my 1080TI at some point but holy crap at GPU prices..
while excited about the future of ray tracing it feels like it's still half baked at this phase so I can wait until things get more sane.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Indeed, only card with relatively acceptable price/perf is 4090, which is targeted at buyers who have very flexible to not say close to unlimited budget, rest of the gpus in the stack are either at least 20% overpriced, or got at least 50% too low vram(altho preferably would love 2x vram across the board) or both of those flaws =/
But sometimes u gotta upgrade, as a gaming enthusiast, its not always possible to hold out another year/another gen and wait patiently, i broke once too, buying 3080ti for 2200€ right in the august 2021 aka mid of last crypto boom- diablo2 ressurected was launching soon and i simply panicked ;*(
I believe the 4090 has the worst perf/$ out of all the Ada GPUs, while the 4070 has has the best. 4090 seems to have the highest generational uplift, while 4070 appears to have the lowest. You could see shades of the beginning of offering poor generational uplift with the 3060 that was only as powerful as the 2070, despite the xx60 offering xx80 perf from the previous gen for Pascal and Turing.

However, the real issue with Ada, especially these 8GB and below cards like 4050-4060Ti is their VRAM relative to the baseline console gen(PS5/XSX). Now that we’re getting ports requiring higher VRAM the 8GB cards from Ampere and Ada are going to choke at very high/ultra settings(sometimes even high settings) despite being powerful enough to run the game. That would basically relegate the former midrange to entry level. Pretty shitty when we’re talking $450 cards.

Top Bottom