• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Apple is currently discussing internally to re-enter the gaming console market

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

Dr Bass

Why not. Create a dedicated apple controller that can work on everything. They’ve immediately got the biggest gaming ecosystem in the world from the word “Go” at that point. Would be interesting to see how that would all go down.

Zeroing

Banned
I6Hm1r2.gif

Why not. Create a dedicated apple controller that can work on everything. They’ve immediately got the biggest gaming ecosystem in the world from the word “Go” at that point. Would be interesting to see how that would all go down.
They do, it is called a dualsense controller. They partnered with Sony, they showcased the controller and they talked about games on the Apple tv. They also partner with Nintendo, so these rumours make no sense at all unless they want to push macOS as a gaming system alternative... but they are very very very late.

If anything, last time we had these type of rumours about Apple... MS went all crazy and the xbox one was born.

reinking

Gold Member
Yeah but... would be an appealing price? I doubt it. The Apple tax is getting even more ridiculous than ever.
Apple TV is competitively priced against premium streaming devices. Apple phones are competitively priced against premium Android phones.

I currently use Android, but I will make the switch if they offer something compelling. My daughter is all in on the Apple eco system and frankly her Apple TV is more compatible than both my Roku and Android TV's. I have been contemplating getting Apple Arcade lately for my single Apple device which is an iPad mini.

Apple have never, traditionally, "got" games, or gaming. Same as Google. They don't understand the audience, they struggle to market to them, they're baffled by what's liked at any one time. It's not media professionals, it's not lifestyle tastemakers: it's something they would struggle to send their carpet-bomb marketing approach towards.
Plus, if it's a view of the world such as seen with their music, film, or application curators, no thanks. It will be anaemic tripe.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I had 3 months of Apple Arcade for free when I bought my last iPhone and I never played any of the games. It's good if you like mobile games but I didn't enjoy it. You can already play Apple Arcade on an AppleTV. If this is why they plan to bring to a console I'm not interested.

Zeroing

Banned
Apple TV is competitively priced against premium streaming devices. Apple phones are competitively priced against premium Android phones.

I currently use Android, but I will make the switch if they offer something compelling. My daughter is all in on the Apple eco system and frankly her Apple TV is more compatible than both my Roku and Android TV's. I have been contemplating getting Apple Arcade lately for my single Apple device which is an iPad mini.
I use Apple devices since their Steve Jobs era. All I notice is them cheapening things and making their products more expensive.
The premium Android phones are expensive because of Apple. They throw everything into the phone to make their android phones look expensive/match an iPhone price.
Not saying Apple does not make good products, they still do but the pricing been getting ridiculous over the years.

sendit

I use Apple devices since their Steve Jobs era. All I notice is them cheapening things and making their products more expensive.
The premium Android phones are expensive because of Apple. They throw everything into the phone to make their android phones look expensive/match an iPhone price.
Not saying Apple does not make good products, they still do but the pricing been getting ridiculous over the years.
That’s called inflation, not exclusive to Apple.

Zeroing

Banned
Apple have never, traditionally, "got" games, or gaming. Same as Google. They don't understand the audience, they struggle to market to them, they're baffled by what's liked at any one time. It's not media professionals, it's not lifestyle tastemakers: it's something they would struggle to send their carpet-bomb marketing approach towards.
Plus, if it's a view of the world such as seen with their music, film, or application curators, no thanks. It will be anaemic tripe.
The problem with Apple is they still think they run a little company from the 2000's that they are edgy, different and not mainstream.

I find it funny that people argue that the gaming industry is censoring games, forcing things etc etc etc... well those people clearly do not know what Apple does...
That’s called inflation, not exclusive to Apple.
No it is not.

sendit

The problem with Apple is they still think they run a little company from the 2000's that they are edgy, different and not mainstream.

I find it funny that people argue that the gaming industry is censoring games, forcing things etc etc etc... well those people clearly do not know what Apple does...

No it is not.
How else would you explain rising cost? Increased demand of features, services, raw material, wages, etc…are all factors of inflation. And again, this isn’t exclusive to Apple.

Last edited:

oldergamer

This rumor has been popping up on these forums for the last 3 or 4 years. Id put no more weight in what i hear now compared to the previous times.

If they do it, i will drive to the apple store in my apple shaped car and hook that baby up to my apple tv.

TrebleShot

Would love to see it but this rumour seems to crop up every month now. Never happens, they already dominate the gaming market.

Ailike

Rumor: Apple is internally having talks to see if they can enter -any- market if itll make them money. They'd enter the dog food market if they knew they could do it easily and successfully.

Top Bottom