• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V Already Runs At 60FPS On PC, “Max Payne 3 Team Handling The PC Version

Koobion

I don't think you'll need all that much to run GTAV at 60 FPS.

I think you might be underestimating the CPU load the game is likely to have - at least if we're talking about a very high LoD, and everything else pushing draw distance in such a dynamic game.

The world is enormous. On the other hand, it's designed in such a way to run on the old consoles, what with the long highways and mountains separating large areas of density.

It's going to be really interesting to see how it plays out. I do expect the hardware requirements to hold CPU and VRAM demanding settings up to needing pretty beefy specs if they want to keep 60.

However from a more conservative standpoint, I think you're right in that it won't take too much power to get 60fps - if we scale back some key settings that strain the specific system points mentioned above.

riflen

Let's hope they don't decide to provide separate asset textures for each supported resolution, as they did for Max Payne 3. The game will be 150GB.

2015 is going to be a great year for PC and console-focussed franchises.. assuming Metal Gear Solid will be a good port as well.

Let's hope they don't decide to provide separate asset textures for each supported resolution, as they did for Max Payne 3. The game will be 150GB.

Steam needs to solve this by allowing us to choose which version of the game we download. I never purchased Max Payne 3 on Steam because it was around 50GB.. which I think is ridiculous.

Durante

I think you might be underestimating the CPU load the game is likely to have - at least if we're talking about a very high LoD, and everything else pushing draw distance in such a dynamic game.
My expectation is mostly based around the fact that, at it's core, it's still designed to run on last-gen consoles. We'll see.

nkarafo

Amazing!

Finally we will be able to get sucked in this perfectly crafted world of GTA without stuttering. This is a first!

UrbanRats

Steam needs to solve this by allowing us to choose which version of the game we download. I never purchased Max Payne 3 on Steam because it was around 50GB.. which I think is ridiculous.
It's 30gigs (still ridiculous).
Also, why are y'all taking this rumor seriously? Doesn't seem that strong of a source to me.

Akronis

As others have mentioned, PC isn't a fixed platform so this makes no sense. Although Max Payne 3 was excellently optimized, I am still super skeptical. There have been 0 good open-world PC ports from Rockstar.

EDIT: if this game is legit locked at 60fps I'll still be disappointed. No reason to cap a framerate on PC.

shandy706

Good news, and I'll be eaton' crow for sure if true.

iqeqxCIPKdM06.jpg

Zomba13

"PC version already runs at 60FPS on the PC."

What is that even supposed to mean? Unless the game is broken and locked to 30 then it will run 60 if you have the hardware or adjust the settings to make it so. It's a completely meaningless thing to say, equivalent to "The PC version runs at 1080p." Of course it does, if you have a 1080p monitor and set the resolution to 1080p.

Nowadays though you have to be sure. never know if a dev will add fame rate or resolution locks though that seems more like a Japanese dev thing lately.

Well at least we know the framerate isn't capped at 30. Although I don't think even the most pessimistic pc gamer was expecting a framerate cap to begin with.

But wait...why'd they stop at 60?

60 fps cap confirmed. Rockstar hates 120 hz monitor users and their families.

Qassim

I had a feeling this would have been the case, over a year ago Rockstar Leeds were advertising for PC programmers "To bring our latest games to PC" or something like that.

Max Payne 3 was an excellent port in pretty much every way, I'd be happy if GTAV is even half as good. I'll be a bit disappointed if it is capped at 60fps though.

Kntj

So it's locked at 60fps? Won't buy if I can't play it at 67fps.

It won't be and I'd buy even if it were locked

hesido

"On PC" as if it's a single spec. For what it is worth, it could be running 60fps on a midrange PC in 2010, but still you have to say, "runs 60fps, on a mid-range PC you bought in 2010".

burgerdog

This version needs headlight projected shadows. So disappointed when night hit on the ps4 version. That's something that was in the console versions of IV.

Nzyme32

"On PC."

Not on my PC, it won't.

My opinion on this, is determining if the product itself (which is the same for everyone) is capable of reaching high framerates at "reasonable" specs consistent with such a game.

Ultimately if I am using a laptop from 2011, of course, I shouldn't expect anything close to 60fps, let alone running at all in the first place without info on the specs. Regardless though, the capability of the game to output 60fps, 144fps, 1080p, 4k etc is the same for everyone - but obviously dependant on hardware. Right now, I would think "on PC" is the concern on the game performing reasonably on different hardware, not "my" hardware

Herne

Good news, but I still want to give a big "fuck you" to Rockstar for taking this long to release it on pc... and delaying it again in favour of customers who already played it on their previous consoles.

ISee

Good news, but I still want to give a big "fuck you" to Rockstar for taking this long to release it on pc... and delaying it again in favour of customers who already played it on their previous consoles.

You are right, but please do not make them angry at us. Red Dead Redemption... just saying.

Spazznid

What a world we live in. Guess my toaster will beat the PS4! I hope GTA V will be on floppy disc, cause I don't think they make Optical drives for my baby any more. But, hey! 60 fps confirmed!

Qassim

"On PC" as if it's a single spec. For what it is worth, it could be running 60fps on a midrange PC in 2010, but still you have to say, "runs 60fps, on a mid-range PC you bought in 2010".

"On PC" as if it means what the version is capable of. I don't know why people always find this so hard to understand. All it means is that this functionality exists on the PC version.

Portugeezer

"On PC" as if it means what the version is capable of. I don't know why people always find this so hard to understand. All it means is that this functionality exists on the PC version.

It doesn't mean much without knowing what specs is running the game at 60fps.

UrbanRats

How is that ridiculous? It contained tons of 1080p prerendered cutscenes, uncompressed audio and higher quality assets over the console versions.

Seriously 30GB isn't that much especially now when games are 40+

Because fuck prerendered cutscenes i'd want to skip (but can't) in the first place. ;)

ISee

You better have a pretty beefy CPU behind that because this game is almost certainly going to be CPU bound.

To be honest I m not so sure about that. It was developed for ps3/360 in the first place and it already runs quite well on ps4 / xone and both do not have beefy cpus or gpus by pc standarts.

NIN90

Ah.. I'm relieved that the team that ported the linear corridor shooter "Max Payne 3" is porting this huge open-world game.

Akronis

To be honest I m not so sure about that. It was developed for ps3/360 in the first place and it already runs quite well on ps4 / xone and both do not have beefy cpus or gpus by pc standarts.

That is also true, but it still isn't locked on PS4/XBONE. It dips in the mid-20s if I remember correctly. We'll obviously have to wait and see. I am praying that I can run this at 90+ FPS.

Even now, almost no PCs can run GTA4 at a stable 60 fps. My PC, which has a six core processer clocked at 4.6 GHz and 3 GTX980s cannot run it at a consistent 60 fps.

I would love for this game to run as well as Max Payne 3, but I am definitely not expecting it to.

Top Bottom