• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V Already Runs At 60FPS On PC, “Max Payne 3 Team Handling The PC Version

With very little details like that I still am not much wiser.

Considering GTA IV, I wouldn't have been too surprised.

And a bad version of Bully. And an absolutely terrible shit version of LA Noire. Hearing that it is the MP3 team brings me confidence, but let's not pretend there is no reason to doubt Rockstar.
And with all the shit they've been recently doing with San Andreas.

We had a bad version of the game as it was, but then they got the bright idea of replacing it with the mobile version.

Hip Hop

ALT-TAB is the source?

never heard of them.

Sounds more like a wish of Max Payne 3 devs handling the PC version than it being true.

But, I really hope it's true either way.

Gurthang

Banned
GTA IV port was fucking garbage. It got fixed through community patches and mods but this time hopefully it is functional.

Thrakier

Saying the PC version runs at 60FPS is meaningless without talking about the hardware that was used to run it at that speed.

Not really. GTA IV wasn't running at 60FPS at all.

Anyway, "running at 60" hopefully implies STABLE 60, that means no engine related slowdowns and framerate break ins while driving around etc.

Corine

Great news I can't wait to get my hands on this and throw some mods at it. If it's anything like GTA4 PC it'll end up looking a generation or two ahead of other games.

Qassim

Are you being serious right now? I cant tell.

Yes. It's completely normal for game developers to describe what their game is capable of. The hardware is totally irrelevant.

PC developers don't list the thousands of different potential performance and fidelity levels that could be had with different settings and hardware configurations. They tell you what the version is capable of, it goes without saying that higher fidelity and performance = increased hardware demand.

Still really struggling to see why this is hard to understand. This has been the reality of PC gaming forever, yet for some odd reason I see this weird misunderstanding "NOT ON MY PC!" and "YEAH, WHICH PC IS THAT?!". It's a totally useless comment unless you actually believe that it is reasonable to expect developers to release performance profiles for hundreds, if not thousands of potential hardware/software configurations AND how they run at different settings the game offers?

It's totally irrelevant to the point being made. Which is the PC version of the game is capable of x (In this case, of running at 60fps).

Maybe I'm just crazy because I can't seem to find anybody else claim this, but when they showed the GTA V trailer during Breaking Bad last year the commercial was running at 60fps. I was watching it at a local theater that was showing Breaking Bad live on Sundays. I've seen the same commercial on my TV and online but that was the only time it was 60fps

Everything else during that broadcast was 30fps (or whatever you call it on TV). It was really strange but it looked good

AU Tiger

Of course it runs at 60.

I just want to know the minimum hardware requirement it takes to run the game maxed out @ 1080p. I think that every developer should do this. Sure give us the minimum specs but give us the "1080/60" specs.

UrbanRats

You can skip them. Just gotta wait for the next level to load.

Uh huh.
No way it takes that long to load a level, even because it has been shown that the game can load a level very fast, without a cutscene (in arcade mode where you can choose the chapter), yet takes tens of minutes with the cutscenes.

I don't know why it does that, but they clearly fucked up big time with it.

Even now, almost no PCs can run GTA4 at a stable 60 fps. My PC, which has a six core processer clocked at 4.6 GHz and 3 GTX980s cannot run it at a consistent 60 fps.

lol ok. My i5-2500 and single asus 970 runs the gta4 benchmark at solid 60 maxed out @ 1080p and I've been playing it a lot lately and it runs smooth even when I blow shit up, so either you are exaggerating or you are mining bitcoins or something.

LilJoka

lol ok. My i5-2500 and single asus 970 runs the gta4 benchmark at solid 60 maxed out @ 1080p and I've been playing it a lot lately and it runs smooth even when I blow shit up, so either you are exaggerating or you are mining bitcoins or something.

I have a GTX 970 at 1500/8000Mhz, i7 3770 @ 4.2Ghz, 8Gb 2133Mhz CL10 ram.

GTA IV hits 60fps, but whilst driving or high action scenes it always dips to 50fps or lower at times. The frame times are fairly consistent, so the experience is not so bad as it still feels smooth. With mods like ICE Enabler its a bit better, but still drops.

As you said, it runs smooth when in high action scenes, which it does, but 100% bet its lower than 60fps in these cases.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
No shit sherlock. Unless they locked it to 30FPS like a select few broken console ports there is no way it wouldn't run at 60FPS.

Nope. The newest build of GTAIV hovers around 52fps at best regardless of settings or hardware. That's with v-sync, but without v-sync it's a tearing nightmare and still stays below 60fps on my i7 4790K and 970 even on the absolute lowest settings at <720p, Same low 50s frame rate completely maxed out at 4K, (even draw distances and traffic) so yeah... the game is completely broken.

Are you running with a frame rate counter onscreen at all times? Because I have zero faith in other peoples' ability to judge frame rate.
And I've actually never tried the benchmark.
EDIT: Just tried it. It runs way better than the actual game.

The PC version of Max Payne 3 (is it really a port when it was developed alongside the console versions, and was only released two weeks later instead of straight away because of Diablo 3?) is fantastic, only issues I have are alt-tabbing sometimes causing crashes, and the poor implementation of MSAA, causing graphical glitches and some severe performance drops. If those guys are working on the GTA V port, I've got high hopes.

Yeah, saying the frames the PC version is at without giving specs is completely meaningless. Could be Batman's gaming rig with seventeen Titans in SLI and a CPU that doesn't officially hit the market until 2030.

60fps. Team that did the Max Payne port. Rockstar

tumblr_mtq0s91dpq1siin4zo1_500.gif

I fucking knew they were going to use the good team! I'm glad I kept the faith after Max Payne 3 and all the goodwill it gave in comparison to Rockstar's past sins.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Already runs at 60fps" is a meaningless statement. On what hardware? What settings? What barometer are they referring to with this type of non statement?

With the next gen consoles as a base, it should not be hard to get to sixty considering i find the PS4 version pretty playable even with its underpowered CPU. But this kind of statement is annoying because it tells us nothing

LCGeek

formerly sane

That benchmark means jack show a video with mods and then we can talk. Been stressing a friend's machine with 4790k 4.2ghz with a 970 @ 1500+ it's not 60 constantly in certain parts of the city or when you have a lot on the screen.

Nzyme32

Well, since it's not an official statement...

Anyway, I'd love to know when we're getting a system requirements announcement.

Yeah, there are lots of questions. I don't really trust the source of this in the first place though. Never heard of it and it isn't particularly concrete sounding. Looks like we have more of the waiting game ahead of us

Considering the ps4 (equivalent to a netbook CPU and a 7850) runs it 24-30fps, I don't think it will take quite that much hardware grunt for 60...

Again, my 3 way 980 GTX SLI setup can't run GTA4 at a locked 60 fps. I'd *love* to run GTA5 at a locked 60, but let's not get our hopes up yet!

Zeth

If we all vow to buy 10 copies maybe we'll get a Red Dead PC announcement by Spring.

It might be worth it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
"Already runs at 60fps" is a meaningless statement. On what hardware? What settings? What barometer are they referring to with this type of non statement?

With the next gen consoles as a base, it should not be hard to get to sixty considering i find the PS4 version pretty playable even with its underpowered CPU. But this kind of statement is annoying because it tells us nothing
It tells us that the game isn't completely broken. I'm going to assume that the test rig is high end, but not absurdly so.

Axiology

In this thread: people who don't understand the significance of a Rockstar game running a solid 60 FPS claim that it's a meaningless accomplishment.

Top Bottom