• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster in development as well as Multiplayer Project based on Horizon

Gudji

Gold Member
I’m not entirely sure why you’re shilling so hard for this.

I don’t really like the practise of remastering in general. You’re using examples of how Sony does it, to demonstrate that….Sony does it.

A HZD remaster adds absolutely nothing. It’s pointless. We already have the 60fps patch.

If that excites you then you have a lot to look forward to. With any luck, Forbidden West should get a remaster in three years time, just after God of War gets remade with Ragnarok assets.
It adds co-op, better graphics and possibly animations, 3D audio, dualsense features and use of the SSD. Along with other QoL and accessibility stuff introduced on HFW.

So don't say it adds absolutely nothing because well that isn't true.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
At this point i just don't care anymore about Sony studios post Ragnarok, the PS5 is an awesome console hardware and also the best, but when it comes to games i'm more looking forward and excited about 3rd party devs, as it seems for Sony studios it's just gonna be a bunch of remakes of PS4 games, Gaas or other lame shit that fits Hermen and Jim gaming tastes.
You're gonna regret saying this when spiderman 2 comes out.

Ogbert

It gives the developers something to do. People always forget that part.

Guerilla is a massive studio and not everyone is working on the Horizon FW DLC, not everyone is working on the other unannounced title. Also, the 60fps patch is still the PS4 game and does not take advantage of PS5 features like DualSense neither does it include all the accessibility features FW had.
Yes, that is very true.

And I am not at all blind to the reality of game development and the financial risks involved. A remaster keeps people employed, is low risk and allows them to reuse assets and even tweak the engine for upcoming development.

It’s just boring.

mortal

Gold Member
I'm suspired how so many in ITT were ready to just believe the remake rumor without any actual confirmation.
Usually people would be much more skeptical, but it seems some were just looking for a reason to be pissed off by something that wasn't even real to begin with.

I See You Good Job GIF by Luvvie Ajayi Jones

It is as if remastering games have become less about persevering and games on modern hardware with modern feature and more about recurring cashflow after the original game is release.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
True, but that doesn't change the fact that good sales are encouraging this behavior.

We don't know how much it sold or even if those numbers are acceptable to Sony. Bottom line is TLoU P1 more than likely has nothing to do with this at this point in time.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This leak has many grown men acting like children.

1. We don't know how they're going to release this Horizon Zero Dawn remaster. Just because they released Last of Us Part I for $69.99 doesn't mean they're going to release the remaster for the same price.

2. This remaster is likely being made by a small team at Guerrilla Games and it won't impact the development of their other projects.

3. If this remaster is cheap, then people shouldn't be this upset about it.

4. Insomniac was able to remaster Spider-Man and release Spider-Man Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank Shortly after. They have Spider-Man 2 lined up along with Wolverine.

5. Sony needs more multiplayer titles, especially if Call of Duty is leaving the platform within the next 5-7 years.

6. Sony has been expanding its studios for a reason and that's to take on multiple projects at the same time. Making 10+ GaaS isn't going to stop them from making single player games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This leak has many grown men acting like children.

1. We don't know how they're going to release this Horizon Zero Dawn remaster. Just because they released Last of Us Part I for $69.99 doesn't mean they're going to release the remaster for the same price.

2. This remaster is likely being made by a small team at Guerrilla Games and it won't impact the development of their other projects.

3. If this remaster is cheap, then people shouldn't be this upset about it.

4. Insomniac was able to remaster Spider-Man and release Spider-Man Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank Shortly after. They have Spider-Man 2 lined up along with Wolverine.

5. Sony needs more multiplayer titles, especially if Call of Duty is leaving the platform within the next 5-7 years.

6. Sony has been expanding its studios for a reason and that's to take on multiple projects at the same time. Making 10+ GaaS isn't going to stop them from making single player games.
Going by some recent remasters (not remakes) of big franchises, you got these prices when games were priced at $60 standard:

GOW 3: $40
LoU Remaster in 2014 : $50. They tried to sell it for $60, but changed before launch to $50
Nathan Drake Collection: $60
Spiderman Remastered: $70 as it was bundled in the Miles Morales Ultimate Edition. No standalone PS5 edition exists

Going by recent trends, it'll probably be full price.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Going by some recent remasters (not remakes) of big franchises, you got these prices when games were priced at $60 standard:

LoU Remaster in 2014 : $50. They tried to sell it for $60, but changed before launch to $50
Spiderman Remastered: $70 as it was bundled in the Miles Morales Ultimate Edition. No standalone PS5 edition exists

I hope it's full price and they delete the other versions so nobody can buy it 🥳

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

- God of War was not a full priced game
- Last of Us Remastered was a year old game and basically a port.
- Nathan Drake Collection released with 3 games
- Spider-Man Remastered was attached to Miles Morales but it still wasn't a full priced game. If they offered a $20 upgrade path with Horizon Forbidden West DLC or the new Multiplayer, then you wouldn't see the $69.99 crowd whining.
- The Legacy of Thieves Collection offered a $10 upgrade path for both Lost Legacy and Uncharted 4.
- Ghost of Tsushima was released a year later with a $10 upgrade path.
- Death Stranding offered an upgrade path

Their remakes in Demon's Souls and The Last of Us Part I have been full price but their remasters have varied from title to title.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just play it. I’m not far into Forbidden West but so far I like Zero Dawn more, especially if you play it on PS5 (or PC) where the 30fps problem is gone. The combat is slower, easier to plan the fights and rig the place with traps etc.
Forbidden West’s enemies are charging far too fast and aggressively imo. Still a good game but the fights can be frenetic and with a camera too close and aim-zoom and big enemies I just feel like I’m fighting the camera more than anything else. Maybe it gets better later idk

Thanks will do.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah I tallied them up and 7 out of 10 Sony first party games were PC. Funny thing is that DS2 and Ronin are both on PC, but I guess Sony XDEV support doesnt provide support for PC ports of third party games lol.
Another thing about the chart you posted is many of the PS5/PC games have the same green time charts. Not surprisingly, the GAAS games are the same which points to them being released on PS5 and PC day one.

ACESHIGH

Banned
They been working on the horizon 2 PC port and returnal for almost a year. Those must be a lock for early 2023. Too bad we could not see what was beyond Q1 2022 on that schedule. I am sure stuff like Demons souls port or hell even BB remaster are already being worked on.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
"To whine or not to whine -- that is the question."

Let's see another 15-page thread of people crying about a remaster, this time for The Outer Worlds 😛

The Outer Worlds release date = October 25, 2019.
Horizon Zero Dawn release date = February 28, 2017.

Lupin25

People are losing their minds over something that’s not official lol

Also a remaster to commemorate this massive new IP (the same as they did for Spider-Man after 20 mil.) is a NO-BRAINER. Won’t be buying it, though.

Crazy times we’re living in.

Three

Gold Member
Every concern of mine has come true. Turns out, the only trolls were Jim Ryan and Herman Hurst who have trolled every single ps5 buyer with last gen games and remakes.

Someone brought up silicon valley and I attribute this to PlayStation moving their headquarters to San Mateo right next to Silicon Valley. Sony has turned into a soulless money first corporation like American corps like EA, Activision and Microsoft. Their Japanese developer friendly roots are long gone. Jim and Herman are no different than kotick and bezos.
Sure I guess if you ignore the fact that they made the most next gen only games Ratchet, Returnal, Astro then yeah. Their remakes like TLOU pt1 and Demon's souls, and new "last gen games" like GT7, HFW, and God of War Ragnarok still look great though.

EDMIX

A HZD remaster adds absolutely nothing. It’s pointless. We already have the 60fps patch.
? The rumor has a list of a lot of features it adds like new models, different controller features for the PS5, we can expect 3D audio and other tech, that doesn't sound like "nothing" and clearly they have a point if its adding something to the game.

Who the fuck is "we"? You got that patch and thats great if you love it, don't fucking buy the remaster then. Its for the most hardcore who want a different version thats up to date and for those who are new to the IP likely from watching the show and want the best of the best. Why would they settle for the 2017 version if they can have some native 4K 60fps one with new models, animations, ray tracing etc?

You don't need to buy it bud, but something is added, a point exist to that and a patch for 60fps is good enough for you, but you can only speak for you, not me or anyone else buying it or those who are new to the IP and want the best version or something.
If that excites you
I'm not buying this remaster....

I think its funny that many of you got it in your head that the point I was making was based on me personally, someone will be new to this series that will want the best version, a market exist for it and it would be silly to leave that money on the table after you just saw The Last Of Us 1 remastered after 1 year and THAT ended up being the best selling version, not the original. Someone clearly wants it, a market exist and I see no reason to be angry that someone else gets to play it as a remaster, just cause you are ok with 60fps patch.

Why get mad about that? Its a win, win, win, win. You can keep your version, use the BC to play it in 60fps, GG's team gets the extra work on PS5, new fans get a option, Sony gets the extra sales.

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 Yup. This is exactly what this is. 15 pages of fake outrage cause optional remaster? lol

Ohhh no, 50 to 60 people might spend 6 months working on a completely optional remaster, the horror!!!!

5 years later a remaster is done and we have 15 pages of tears

Ghost Of Tsushima was remastered literally 1 year after release.

Only 3 pages...

So......clearly people pick and choose what they want to be "upset" about.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nowhere does that article say it’s a remaster or remake.
What do you think a next-gen only version will have? Genuine question.

Also, we don't know what the HZD PS5 version will be like? A free upgrad, a remaster, a remake, or just a port with $10 upgrade? But yet ... here we are.

Both these games are in a similar position -- next-gen exclusive versions leaked without full context. And I want to highlight the hypocrisy of the gaming industry. We pick certain things and get unreasonably mad about them, even if they don't affect us.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sure I guess if you ignore the fact that they made the most next gen only games Ratchet, Returnal, Astro then yeah. Their remakes like TLOU pt1 and Demon's souls, and new "last gen games" like GT7, HFW, and God of War Ragnarok still look great though.
7giEFKT.jpg

We ignore the positives and good things, pick up a few totally optional things to whine about, and then zero in on that.

EDMIX

A multiplayer mode/ game version of Horizon sounds completely awful. And it's totally the result of a board that is making decisions based off of numbers, and not caring about making something their audiences actually want to play.

Well...thats not really true though, Horizon started as some MP, co-op type thing.

The-Art-of-Horizon-Zero-Dawn-08.jpg

I mean.....did you not know that Guerrilla Games made Killzone series that has MP or?

Fredrik

Is this game on PC now with 4k res, HDR etc.....???

WTF would a 'remaster' bring to the party?

Should be free to those who already brought this game on PC but it wont be, it'll be sold for $60.

Idiots.
If it’s a remake they could have new climbing mechanic, more exploration rewards, better physics, better conversation animations, better AI, light and shadows, ray-tracing, better melee combat etc.
It would be interesting. But buying it a third time? Hmm

If it’s a remaster they’ll probably just bump up the visuals to PS5 level.
Not interesting at all imo.

modiz

It adds co-op, better graphics and possibly animations, 3D audio, dualsense features and use of the SSD. Along with other QoL and accessibility stuff introduced on HFW.

So don't say it adds absolutely nothing because well that isn't true.
TLOU remake still has 10+ seconds load time and is a native PS5 game so who knows how much of an improvement the SSD will have here.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Exactly.

You never saw them do this before.

Like God Of War remaster or Ratchet or Ico or Sly.....sick really.
Apart from God of War, none of those are AAA 20+ million-selling GOTY contenders. Their remasters could reasonably find a completely new audience since the time of their original release. They also come from the physical media era, it’s not like you could go to the store and buy Ratchet 1 in the PS3 era. Those games were remastered for good reason.

Let’s go through this again. Horizon is a 2017 game that looked stunning already, it didn’t originally release in 480p. You can still buy it, even on PC. It’s completely compatible with PS5. It released at full price, it will probably rerelease at the new Sony premium price (unlike those remasters you mentioned, incidentally). It sold so much that a good chunk of the people who actually got a PS5 and aren’t only interested in online MP shooters have already played it.

This is surely not the only thing Sony has under the hood right now, but it’s telling that this is what makes the news. The money that goes into these projects could go into smaller, more creative AA productions, but no, heaven forbid you bought a PS5 to play those! This AAA beast is gobbling up so many resources, it needs to constantly rerelease its best sellers and milk them to the very last drop to sustain itself. This is the problem people have with decisions like this.

EDMIX

Horizon is a 2017 game that looked stunning already, it didn’t originally release in 480p.
and? You can fucking think any game looks "stunning", a remaster is not based on something MUST be ugly and in 480p, so those games going from 480p to 1080p is no different the HZD going from 1080p native to 4K native with RT or something.

Where anyone got that remaster was for a ugly game in 480p is beyond me, its merely putting it on a new system, higher resolution, different features etc, regardless of what you view was on the original. I don't even know where that narrative came from that the game MUST be ugly or not playable or some shit as that seems to be some fake goalpost created to cry about this.
You can still buy it, even on PC. It’s completely compatible with PS5.
And? All that means is you don't need to fucking buy this. Those that don't own a gaming PC or own a PS5 and don't want a 2017 1080p version would simply want the next best thing, this remaster is for them, not you.

The money that goes into these projects could go into smaller, more creative AA productions, but no, heaven forbid you bought a PS5 to play those!
lol the funniest myth. The money made from this remaster would not only fund those smaller projects, but bigger projects there after. So those games still take time and money, if 50 or 70 people take 6 months to remaster this to for money, I'd rather that happen to fund future projects.

I don't see how it helps them to leave money on the table like that.

I know right, it could go into other projects, if only Sony did stuff like that /s

nope, nothing here hmmmm

instead they just fund remasters, why won't they put that money into other things. /s

So this is merely a narrative created to argue some either or, instead of fanfiction pretending that a remaster made, is killing some other thing as if those 50 fucking programmers where magically going to whip out God Of War in 6 months. So I don't know what fucking kind of game you think can be made with such a small amount of money, people and time, but I'd rather Sony fund all projects that make sense that can make them money. You forced that either or

Clearly Sony is doing all of the above.
This AAA beast is gobbling up so many resources, it needs to constantly rerelease its best sellers and milk them to the very last drop to sustain itself.

It took over 7 years to make The Last Of Us 2 with a team of over 2000 people, good luck if you think the remaster of The Last of Us in 2014 that took less then 1 year to make, was "gobbling up so many recourses".

So...you are asking the DVD box set not to exist cause you are crying over the time it takes for the season to come out...maybe you don't realize that the money from that pays for the new season and those making those versions have nothing to do with a new season..... they simply are not the same things. Thats like getting mad a re-run lol

So I think many of you have this view case you are not sure how those remasters are being made, its why you fucking think some remaster not happen was magically going to make some ground up game when the team even tasked with porting or restoring was never fucking going to make some brand new title bud.

6 months and less then a million bucks and you really fucking thought some brand new title would come out from that?

wow...

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Is this game on PC now with 4k res, HDR etc.....???

WTF would a 'remaster' bring to the party?

Should be free to those who already brought this game on PC but it wont be, it'll be sold for $60.

Idiots.
Well, if it doesn't bring anything new to the table, why should anyone care about having it, right? In that case, why be mad if it's 60$ or the demand that it should be given for free?

Ogbert

? The rumor has a list of a lot of features it adds like new models, different controller features for the PS5, we can expect 3D audio and other tech, that doesn't sound like "nothing" and clearly they have a point if its adding something to the game.

Who the fuck is "we"? You got that patch and thats great if you love it, don't fucking buy the remaster then. Its for the most hardcore who want a different version thats up to date and for those who are new to the IP likely from watching the show and want the best of the best. Why would they settle for the 2017 version if they can have some native 4K 60fps one with new models, animations, ray tracing etc?

You don't need to buy it bud, but something is added, a point exist to that and a patch for 60fps is good enough for you, but you can only speak for you, not me or anyone else buying it or those who are new to the IP and want the best version or something.

I'm not buying this remaster....

I think its funny that many of you got it in your head that the point I was making was based on me personally, someone will be new to this series that will want the best version, a market exist for it and it would be silly to leave that money on the table after you just saw The Last Of Us 1 remastered after 1 year and THAT ended up being the best selling version, not the original. Someone clearly wants it, a market exist and I see no reason to be angry that someone else gets to play it as a remaster, just cause you are ok with 60fps patch.

Why get mad about that? Its a win, win, win, win. You can keep your version, use the BC to play it in 60fps, GG's team gets the extra work on PS5, new fans get a option, Sony gets the extra sales.

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 Yup. This is exactly what this is. 15 pages of fake outrage cause optional remaster? lol

Ohhh no, 50 to 60 people might spend 6 months working on a completely optional remaster, the horror!!!!

5 years later a remaster is done and we have 15 pages of tears

Ghost Of Tsushima was remastered literally 1 year after release.

Only 3 pages...

[/URL]

So......clearly people pick and choose what they want to be "upset" about.
The only person who’s getting mad is you.

Calm down.

I sincerely do not care. Everyone buy what they want.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean if you have to bring up games they released 1.5-2 years ago then you're proving my point.

TBH, I cant believe that after this forum spent two years shitting on Phil's spencer's cross gen stance, and Xbox's dire first party support since 2020 for Xbox Series consoles, the same people will give Sony a pass for not releasing any next gen games since Ratchet back in June 2021, and have ZERO games slated until Spiderman 2 launches a good 2.5 years after Ratchet. Thats pretty much the same time span Xbox wouldve gone between launch and Starfield's release. Both are comparable in the time they have spent jerking around their consumer base that went out and bought $500 consoles on day one. PS5 had a decent start but its been just as bad as Xbox since Ratchet.

clarky

Gold Member
Improved character models you say?

Well you couldn't get any worse than Aloy so i say go for it. Get her to shut the fuck up while your at it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
TBH, I cant believe that after this forum spent two years shitting on Phil's spencer's cross gen stance, and Xbox's dire first party support since 2020 for Xbox Series consoles, the same people will give Sony a pass for not releasing any next gen games since Ratchet back in June 2021, and have ZERO games slated until Spiderman 2 launches a good 2.5 years after Ratchet. Thats pretty much the same time span Xbox wouldve gone between launch and Starfield's release. Both are comparable in the time they have spent jerking around their consumer base that went out and bought $500 consoles on day one. PS5 had a decent start but its been just as bad as Xbox since Ratchet.
By 2002 the ps2 had
Ratchet and clank (a better ratchet at that)
Mgs2
Jak and Daxter
GTA3
Auto modellista
Kingdom hearts
GTAVC
Silent hill 2

By 2002 the Xbox had
Halo CE
JSRF
Sega GT 2002
Splinter Cell
Auto modellista
Dead or alive 3
Project Gotham racing

By 2022 both the series X and ps5 have
Ratchet and clank rift apart
Returnal
Demons souls (a remake of a ps3 game btw)
Astros playroom
Literally 0 next gen exclusives from Xbox
And 0 next gen exclusive third parties from what I know. This pandemic excuse has gone on long enough. Kill 8th gen already

I don't really own a next gen system unless you count the series s, but i can empathize with how little next gen content were getting. I got this 6650 xt in the hopes it would run groundbreaking next gen games but the only use its getting is playing older games from years ago and whatever else tickles my fancy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom