• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Multiple Reports Hint At Mortal Kombat 12 Announcement At PlayStation Showcase In May 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
FuZU0eMX0AAqhXy

Multiple reports suggest that Sony will be holding a PlayStation Showcase during the month of May, 2023, and that Mortal Kombat 12 will be announced at the event.

Several sources appear to suggest that a PlayStation Showcase is scheduled for May, 2023, and that Mortal Kombat 12 will get revealed at the event. Jeff Grubb, who is known for his game industry insights, has stated that it’s safe to say that a PlayStation Showcase will happen in May, 2023. Though, he added that it may get pushed to sometime early in June. At any rate, he firmly believes that the event will happen before Summer Game Fest this year.

In addition, the co-founder of XboxEra and co-host of the XboxEra Podcast, Shpeshal Nick, stated during a recent episode that he’s heard about Mortal Kombat 12 being announced at the next PlayStation Showcase event. Co-host Rand al Thor agreed with him, stating that he expects Sony to have marketing rights for the game.

Meanwhile, Jez Corden of the XboxTwo podcast hinted at a Mortal Kombat 12 reveal sometime in May, 2023. Putting two and two together, it would appear that the game is getting revealed at the PlayStation Showcase that is scheduled to happen sometime in May, 2023.

Recently, it was reported that the official website for the Mortal Kombat series had received a major update, hinting at the possibility of a Mortal Kombat 12 reveal happening soon. Additionally, pro fighting game player, SonicFox, also anticipated an official announcement in this regard sometime soon.

Since receiving a major update, the official Mortal Kombat website now includes character designs quizzes, and highlights on each character’s page. However, the interesting bit here is that the roster of characters featured on the site is from the original Mortal Kombat, and characters from future entries are nowhere to be seen, suggesting that the next entry may end up being another reboot. Whether this is in relation to an announcement involving Mortal Kombat 12 is hard to say, though SonicFox seems convinced.

Darsxx82

"he expects Sony to have marketing rights for the game"

Sony with marketing rigths for SFVI, Tekken 8 and MK12 it is certainly a reflection of the market and not exactly positive for The competition

begotten

Kill off everyone except for Lui Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and come up with some new shit for once.

And for gods sake if they bring back Kollector I’m really gonna lose it.

Do you know MK lore? They've killed them off and everyone before. It always ends up the same.

MK lore is awesome BTW.

It makes sense for Sony to go after marketing deals for fighting games after their investment in EVO. Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8 were shown off first with PlayStation so it would make sense for this one too.

Umbasaborne

Banned
"he expects Sony to have marketing rights for the game"

Sony with marketing rigths for SFVI, Tekken 8 and MK12 it is certainly a reflection of the market and not exactly positive for The competition
Finally we get to whats important. I cant support a game unless my favorite box maker gets the exclusive right to show commercials for it

Darsxx82

Finally we get to whats important. I cant support a game unless my favorite box maker gets the exclusive right to show commercials for it

It wouldn't matter if marketing deals were just that (advertising on a platform).

It is important because marketing agreements are accompanied by other things (exclusivity periods, DLC, perks, betas, demos) and what is a reality...... this leads to favoring sales on that platform. Even more so in competitive fighting games where a platform for tournaments is established.

That Sony, thanks to its position, is able to bring together fighting game licenses from different publishers says a lot about the current market situation and Sony's power of influence.

If there is someone capable of seeing something like this as a symbol of good health of the market and the competition....😏

PS. And no, let no one come and say that "MS could do it too" because it's ridiculous. Not even in the prime of X360 MS was it in a position to bring together the marketing rights of all the major fighting franchises on the market.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Even though I haven't played MK since the 16-bit era, I'm glad it still exists and does well, it would be strange and sad to not have MK franchise around. Maybe I'll check it out sometime.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Not so much of a teaser, more like 30th anniversary "Thank you" video, but I'm sure they'll announce MK12 this year, can't Imagine it'll release this in 2023 though unless they already have fully packed marketing campaign ready to go with late november / early december release date. Anyway, can't effin wait!:messenger_grinning:

I haven't played Injustice 2 at all (bought Legendary Edition a couple of year ago and just couldn't find time), installed it yesterday and haven't touched SP campaign yet (doing character tutorials and stuff for now), but hot damn it looks effin' amazing on PC at 5K 60 all maxed without AA. 30 / 60 / 30 FPS stuff is jarring af though, considering playing the game at a locked 30 FPS.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It wouldn't matter if marketing deals were just that (advertising on a platform).

It is important because marketing agreements are accompanied by other things (exclusivity periods, DLC, perks, betas, demos) and what is a reality...... this leads to favoring sales on that platform. Even more so in competitive fighting games where a platform for tournaments is established.

That Sony, thanks to its position, is able to bring together fighting game licenses from different publishers says a lot about the current market situation and Sony's power of influence.

If there is someone capable of seeing something like this as a symbol of good health of the market and the competition....😏

PS. And no, let no one come and say that "MS could do it too" because it's ridiculous. Not even in the prime of X360 MS was it in a position to bring together the marketing rights of all the major fighting franchises on the market.
... which is the purpose of the marketing deal -- to increase game sales on the platform that's spending millions of dollars marketing someone else's game.

bender

What time is it?
As someone who doesn't play fighting games online a bunch, I absolutely adored the single player content in MK9. The story mode was an amazing reboot, the challenge towers were great, and the Krypt didn't feel exploitative. It was all downhill with the sequels.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Jesus i just looked it up and they still using UE3.
What?

giphy-downsized.gif

If that's the case, I honestly can't believe what they've achieved with this ancient engine in Injustice 2 and MK11. Probably the best looking games on UE3 after Arkham Knight.
I guess there has to be a reason as to why they're still using it, otherwise they could've switched to UE4 long time ago - but I hope they won't and go straight to UE5 next.

SALMORE

why Nether Realm act like they never released a Mortal Kombat game in 20 years ? MK11 barely disappeared from ppl minds

why Nether Realm act like they never released a Mortal Kombat game in 20 years ? MK11 barely disappeared from ppl minds

The game came out over 4 years ago, its time for a new one. It didn't disappear from people's minds because ND supported the game for ages.

Only way I’ll be interested is if they un-botch SubZero. He was peak in MKX, but because of whiney bitches they took away his ice clone in 12. Turned him into a mix-up/rush down character instead of a Zoner and still people complained. MK players can’t adapt and always cry for nerfs for anything.

supernova8

Banned
Fun fact: The Mortal Kombat theme is based off 2 Unlimited's "Twilight Zone", which back then was considered "Euro House". Remixes featured on DDR as well.

I dunno it also sounds awfully similar to What is Love (featured in the Night at the Roxbury movie) (kidding of course)

Last edited:
Top Bottom