• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next-Gen AMD SoCs for Xbox and PlayStation Might be in Development

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Next-gen-Console-esports.jpg

Since the current-generation of consoles, PS5 and Xbox Series are using custom SoCs designed by AMD, it was expected that this trend will continue for the future consoles as well. According to a job listing on LinkedIn, The team behind Xbox and PlayStation SoC is working on a next-gen chip for which they need a verification engineer:

The team behind the chip powering XBOX™, PlayStation™ and the latest RDNA-family graphics chip is hiring for its Markham location in Canada for the next-generation chip development project!

We are currently looking for a System-on-Chip Verification Engineer who will be part of a team working on next generation of a complex SOC design. The successful candidate will play a key role in SOC verification performing the following duties for functional, power, and performance aspects with simulation and hardware emulation environment.

Now this confirms two things. One, that the next consoles, whether they are iterations of the current-gen PS5 and Xbox Series or entirely a new line, will feature AMD, RDNA based SoC. Other thing is that the next-gen consoles are already being worked on most probably both by Sony and Microsoft.

There have already been rumors about a new version of PS5 by Sony. Whether this would be a PS5 Pro or just a basic hardware change, remains to be seen.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'd be shocked if a PS5 Pro/Slim/Redesign of some kind wasn't out before Q1 2025

XBOX already spoke about playing around with diff console designs for diff markets/purposes

Should be interesting

Pagusas

Elden Member
designing a game system takes years, of course planning for PS6/Xbox Next has already started, it has to if they’ll be out in 4-5 years.

More so than any other Sony console we can predict with 90% sureness what the next PS, either PS6 or Pro, will be.
It will be a 72CU GPU with a frequency of around 2.5ghz giving it around 23tflops of compute.
On top of that it will have the same Int8 and Int4 lower precision abilities as the XSX for ML capabilities.
There will be advanced Ray Tracing tech from AMD and Sony will absolutely adopt Mesh Shaders and VRS in the next one.
There will be a 8 core Zen 4 CPU clocked at 4.2ghz giving it about 2 x the IPC gains over Zen 2.

Depending on how the SSDs take the load off RAM requirements I expect it to arrive with similar GB levels but a much higher bandwidth. There won't be an increase in the SSD speed if the RAM stays the same.

With MS who knows, as they arnt bound by the same requirements to maintain BC as Sony are on the PS.

Hugare

I know that Nvidia doesnt make custom SoCs, but I wanted them to make these for consoles so freakind bad

DLSS and way better RT performance are so important

Pro consoles if real would have already gone passed the development stage and been in the hands of developers by now.

The OP wording seems like they’re ramping up for the next SoC design which likely means it’s for PS6 and Xbox Series whatever.

Caio

The only things which could be in development are the Mid-Gen upgrade, and I would love it. Generations are getting longer, and PCs always more powerful, no way to stay with the base models until 2027...just my thought.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The only things which could be in development are the Mid-Gen upgrade, and I would love it. Generations are getting longer, and PCs always more powerful, no way to stay with the base models until 2027...just my thought.
.... you have no idea how long chip development, testing, approvals, manufacturing and distribution takes if you believe that. Any mid-gen upgrades would long be past this phase if they had any hope of appearing in the next 2 - 3 years. Whats being talked about her is for the NEXT systems, which would already be well into pre-production planning.

You know the awesome PS2? That started pre-production life in 1994 just as PSone was luanching without Sony even knowing if it would be a success. Switch Started development in 2012, 5 years of dev time for a snap in Nvidia chip. PS5 started development in 2013. The point is, these things start wayyyy sooner than you think, and take FOREVER in pre-production planning to get momentum and from concept to reality. The fastest turn around of a modern system I remember was the Xbox 360, which only had a 3 year development cycle.. and I wonder how much of that rush caused the Rrod issues.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
32K resolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with unstable 30 fps and low RT settings.

Haggard

Banned
10.3 TFLOPS -12 TFLOPS to 90-100 TFLOPS :messenger_face_screaming::lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire:
10,3 - 12 Tflops complete system @ ~500$ and ~200w power consumption to 90+Tflops @ ~2k$ and ~600+w power consumption GPU only.
No way a SoC with that kind of high end GPU gets into console budget territory within the next few years.

Last edited:

Caio

.... you have no idea how long chip development, testing, approvals, manufacturing and distribution takes if you believe that. Any mid-gen upgrades would long be past this phase if they had any hope of appearing in the next 2 - 3 years. Whats being talked about her is for the NEXT systems, which would already be well into pre-production planning.

You know the awesome PS2? That started pre-production life in 1994 just as PSone was luanching without Sony even knowing if it would be a success. Switch Started development in 2012, 5 years of dev time for a snap in Nvidia chip. PS5 started development in 2013. The point is, these things start wayyyy sooner than you think, and take FOREVER in pre-production planning to get momentum and from concept to reality. The fastest turn around of a modern system I remember was the Xbox 360, which only had a 3 year development cycle.. and I wonder how much of that rush caused the Rrod issues.
yep, but we don't know how long they are in development, so it might be a mid-gen upgrade. But mine is just a guess, regarding something which is not even confirmed. But I really hope we will get the mid-gen upgrade...I loved my XBox One X, a true beast, and so welcome.

Will these new machines in development will be able to run all the new Unreal Engine features at 60 FPS.

I tried the Matrix thingy and we need more oomph somewhere in the pipeline.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Seriously, how are people still surprised about this stuff? Product++ (and probably Product++++) are already at some stage of development when Product launches.

I work in R&D writing software for a big hardware + software project. Version 1.0 isn’t even officially launched yet, and we already have 2 service packs, the next gen version, the next next gen version, plus 2 “spin offs” (different hardware but running much of the same software), all at some stage of development.

This is not surprising at all. It’s not like Sony is going to sit around and wait until it feels like the right time for a next gen system. They have a product roadmap WAY in advance (and many of those products may never see the light of day or may evolve over the course of development, it’s not like all the specifications are set in stone)

Three

I think this is a little bit of a stretch. Next generation of SoCs doesn't mean console generation.

I have no doubt that whatever it is will apply to consoles too but this has nothing to do with consoles specifically. They just mention that it's the AMD team and the consoles use their SoC.

daveonezero

Banned
Seriously, how are people still surprised about this stuff? Product++ (and probably Product++++) are already at some stage of development when Product launches.

I work in R&D writing software for a big hardware + software project. Version 1.0 isn’t even officially launched yet, and we already have 2 service packs, the next gen version, the next next gen version, plus 2 “spin offs” (different hardware but running much of the same software), all at some stage of development.

This is not surprising at all. It’s not like Sony is going to sit around and wait until it feels like the right time for a next gen system. They have a product roadmap WAY in advance (and many of those products may never see the light of day or may evolve over the course of development, it’s not like all the specifications are set in stone)
Yeah it is SOP.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Next gen SoC = Next gen console

Not just a current gen refresh
“working on next generation of a complex SOC design”

That does not in any way imply that it’s for a next-gen console. It says nothing whatsoever about which generation of console it would be for.

Checking github search immediately.
More so than any other Sony console we can predict with 90% sureness what the next PS, either PS6 or Pro, will be.
It will be a 72CU GPU with a frequency of around 2.5ghz giving it around 23tflops of compute.
On top of that it will have the same Int8 and Int4 lower precision abilities as the XSX for ML capabilities.
There will be advanced Ray Tracing tech from AMD and Sony will absolutely adopt Mesh Shaders and VRS in the next one.
There will be a 8 core Zen 4 CPU clocked at 4.2ghz giving it about 2 x the IPC gains over Zen 2.

Depending on how the SSDs take the load off RAM requirements I expect it to arrive with similar GB levels but a much higher bandwidth. There won't be an increase in the SSD speed if the RAM stays the same.

With MS who knows, as they arnt bound by the same requirements to maintain BC as Sony are on the PS.
To do what? How is it used currently in Xbox games?

It's way more probable that Microsoft copy everything they can from PS5 for their next iteration (even midgen). The way they copied PS4 architecture for X1X.

Last edited:
Top Bottom