• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Graphics Card Specs, Performance, Price & Availability (300W + 36TF performance)

Kenpachii

What worries me a bit with the 4070 is the memory... some games can easely reach 12-14gb of vram...

Well that's nvidia for you, they can easily nuke the 3000 series with a ultra settings that requires just a bit more then the 3000 series can provide. Oh time to upgrade!.

Verchod

I managed to get a 3070 near launch and my plan was not to change for some years, but by only having 8GB memory I feel it's life span is already limited.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
my 3080 has my little office setup feel like I’m gaming inside a microwave sometimes. I never really noticed it with any of my computers before. If it gets worse with these new cards I might just pass on them.

Reallink

I'm currently running a 2080ti and I reckon if this is going to match the 3080ti, it will be the card I opt for.

Not spending premium money on flagship cards which never ends up being worth it.

Thanks to price hikes through product stack shuffling and obfuscation (i.e. the once XX80 Series has now become a XX90 and XX90Ti series at double and triple the price), the flagships are the only cards using the largest die. The 4090 has a +60% and the 4090Ti a +80% core advantage over a 4080 (never mind a 4070), so you are legitimately buying a "generation ahead" with the stupid expensive cards, not just 10-20% like prior generations. The 4090Ti will quite literally be as fast (or faster) than a 5080. So you can pay $800 twice for 2 XX80 series cards and get 2 generations of middling mainstream performance, or you can pay $1700-$2000 for a 4090Ti and get 1 generation of cutting edge performance and 1 generation of middling mainstream performance.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Am skeptical of that.
Title says 36TF, 3080 Ti is 34TF, 3090 is 36TF so it's in that ballpark. The 3080 Ti has 10k cuda cores that run around 1.7GHz boost clock and the 4070 has 7k cuda cores that run around 2.4GHz boosted. I think the boost in clock speed combined with the new architecture would make these cards similar in performance.

OZ9000

Banned
I'm currently running a 2080ti and I reckon if this is going to match the 3080ti, it will be the card I opt for.

Not spending premium money on flagship cards which never ends up being worth it.
I always felt buying the highest Nvidia cards was a complete waste of money.
100% price increase for a 10% performance gain lol.

4070 looks like it may be the sweet spot between performance and price. Too bad it's 300W. I will probably undervolt the card. Reportedly undervolting the 3000 series reduces power consumption and temperature by quite a lot with only a minimal performance penalty.

Kenpachii

Even if u increase power limit?

Cards are tested at certain settings and sold because they work at it. Some cards u can overclock and under volt hard without losing performance or gaining performance. Other cards even changing 1 mhz will make it unstable, or even a tiny bit of volt changes.

So if you under volt and overclock, u basically are throwing 2 unstable factors on top of each other. Which is why he says what he says.

If u undervolt and Oc u will not be forcing even more the gpu making it hotter?
No, you basically limit the voltage of your GPU (if undervolting) making it work at lower voltage and preventing to go to higher voltages. OC'ing is making your GPU work at higher clocks at given voltage. First OC, then undervolt and you will be more than fine. My 3070 working at 0.825V on full load at 1740mhz and consume 120-140W. Stock GPU at same clocks worked at 1.000+V and consumed 200-220W. I loose about 5% performance at 40% lower power consumption and that's normal behavior.

gundalf

Use power limiter or undervolting.
Since 2000 series those GPU's can perform same as stock at 65-75% power. Then you do OC to compensate performance loss.

Is the power limiter like an official tool or a driver setting? I like to get the 4070 but not let it suck more than 230±250 Watts.

Is the power limiter like an official tool or a driver setting? I like to get the 4070 but not let it suck more than 230±250 Watts.
You can try just lower the power limit in any OC tool (MSI Afterburner for example), but it's better to prevent GPU to go higher voltages (undervolting). Try search the term. It's also working for CPU as well.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti: 'easily match' RTX 3090 Ti performance

We need to see the gap between the 70Ti and 80.
Coming from a 3080 the only card that really seems like an upgrade is the 4090.

Only the 4090 is a worthy replacement.
Too right.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I just hope I can run the 4090 on a 1000 watt psu. I don't want to have to upgrade my psu after doing such a good job cable tieing it all.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

sendit sendit and Black_Stride Black_Stride Just lay it on me thick (pause) Y'all some drug dealers, aren't y'all? Only the 4090 is a worthy replacement. :pie_gsquint:
Hahaha not even close.
Its just that the 3080 spoiled everything by being so close to the 3090.

The FOMO of getting a 4080 knowing the 4090 is a completely different league is fucked.

Im either gonna skip the generation or jump on the 4090.
Im still praying theres a 4080Ti that comes with the AD102 chip, ill settle for a few frames down and 20GBs of VRAM.

FingerBang

Hahaha not even close.
Its just that the 3080 spoiled everything by being so close to the 3090.

The FOMO of getting a 4080 knowing the 4090 is a completely different league is fucked.

Im either gonna skip the generation or jump on the 4090.
Im still praying theres a 4080Ti that comes with the AD102 chip, ill settle for a few frames down and 20GBs of VRAM.
Having exactly the same feeling. I always prefer the xx80 as the sweet spot, but the jump between 3080 and 4080 sounds underwhelming according to the rumors.

The 4090 might be the only serious upgrade but more than the cost is the power consumption I'm afraid of. I might to see what AMD does this time.

Black_Stride

why would you replace a 3090 at all.
Nothing released or at the release horizon would even begin to need anything beyond that.

Native res and/or 100fps+.
4K screens are coming down and games are getting harder to run.

cyberpunk-2077-rt-3840-2160.png

metro-exodus-rt-3840-2160.png

watch-dogs-legion-rt-3840-2160.png

control-dlss-3840-2160.png

Hot5pur

To get 4k/60+raytracing on 3080 you basically need DLSS for newer, but it works well. DLSS is not perfect as you get artefacts but it's a negligeable compromise. If you have a 3080 you can easily sit tight and wait for 50xx, maybe even beyond that, depending on what games end up doing. We'll have to see how the PS5/XSX only games translate to PC. I anticipate they will try to put in some hardly noticeable "ultra" settings that will tank performance so a 3080 may get you through on high settings for perhaps 2 more gens.

Rickyiez

I expect the 4080 to sit around 3090 performance level and the 4070 around the 3080.

Tflops don't mean much between different architectures, we know that leaker said the 4090ti is basically 2x the 3090, which is 36 tflops. So yea.

No way , 3090 is barely faster than 3080. If what you say came true then 4080 will only be 10% faster than 3080. This has never happened in the GPU history and will be a massive disappointment.

CobraAB

3090 performance for 500 - 600 dollars.
Sweet.
Feel bad for people that got 3090tis......well not really if they can afford a 3090ti in this climate they are probably getting a 4090ti easy work.....som im jealous.

Ill wait for benchmarks before deciding if the 4080 is worth the upgrade or if I can skip a generation as usual.
I dont feel bad.

Thats just how it is. You either keep waiting for the next great thing or just pull the trigger and buy the best at the time.

Stuart360

What worries me a bit with the 4070 is the memory... some games can easely reach 12-14gb of vram...
Can i ask what game they are?. I have a 11gb 1080ti and i have only seen one game go over 8gb vram usage at 9gb. Pretty much all the other games i have played have been well under 8gb.
Oh wait is it a ray tracing thing?, does using RT up your vram usage considerably?.

Black_Stride

I dont feel bad.

Thats just how it is. You either keep waiting for the next great thing or just pull the trigger and buy the best at the time.
That post is from way before the delay and the second delay.
The 3090Ti paper launched in April, Ada was supposed to come out in July.
Waiting ~3 months to pay the same amount of money or less for double the performance would be quite err something.
But I can understand why people jump on the latest greatest thing immediately.

Im still hopeful that there is a AD102 320bit RTX 4080Ti that comes with 20GB of VRAM. I dont trust Nvidia to NOT charge $2000 dollars for a GPU.
Nvidia saturating the market ends up cannibalizing their own products.
Which leads to weird price drops with retailers and ebay.
RTX3060Ti
RTX3070
RTX3070Ti
RTX3080Ti 16G - Cancelled

Were basically all fighting for the same customers.

RTX3080
RTX3080 12G
RTX3080 20G - Cancelled
RTX3080Ti

Again were basically all fighting each other to the point RTX308012Gs cost the same as RTX3080Tis so Nvidia cancelled that shit ASAP.

Top Bottom