• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[rumor]NVIDIA to launch GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8GB this month, 16GB model planned for July

Spyxos

Gold Member
According to MEGAsizeGPU, who has been a very reliable source in the past, NVIDIA has settled on four new SKUs.
GEFORCE-RTX-4060TI-HERO-BANNER-1200x427.jpg

Not two but three RTX 4060 models are now on the manufacturer’s roadmap. It appears that NVIDIA listened to the feedback from the gaming community who were not pleased to know that RTX 4060 Ti might only have 8GB VRAM. The same memory configuration would reportedly apply to the RTX 4060 non-Ti model as well.

As it turns out, the company is now planning to launch RTX 4060 Ti SKU with increased memory capacity to 16GB, but this card would appear later. According to the leaker, all three SKUs will be announced this month, but two models will launch in July. Gamers should now expect RTX 4060 Ti 8GB to become available this month, but the 16GB SKU and RTX 4060 non-Ti will be on shelf in July.

Upcoming GeForce RTX 4060 GPUs:

• RTX 4060 Ti 8G: Announcement: May, Release: May
  • RTX 4060 Ti 16G: Announcement: May, Release: July
  • RTX 4060 8G: Announcement: May, Release July
RTX-4060-TI-RTX-4060-UPDATE-850x301.png

The 16GB model of RTX 4060 Ti is surely an unexpected decision by NVIDIA, mainly due to the already limited memory bus to 128-bit. It will definitely not improve the bandwidth, but gamers may expect more frame buffer to store high-resolution textures or maybe large AI models.

CPQKalh.png

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...ti-8gb-this-month-16gb-model-planned-for-july

Celcius

°Temp. member
friends don't let friends buy 8gb gpu's

The 1070 that came out in 2016 had 8GB. 7 years later, the 4060 Ti that's only one step below still has 8GB. NVIDIA barely moved the memory of that tier in 7 fucking years. The 1060's most widely available model was the 6GB variant. 2GB in 7 years. Unbelievable.
It's like when Intel kept making 4 core cpu's until AMD forced their hand

Last edited:
The 1070 that came out in 2016 had 8GB. 7 years later, the 4060 Ti that's only one step below still has 8GB. NVIDIA barely moved the memory of that tier in 7 fucking years. The 1060's most widely available model was the 6GB variant. 2GB in 7 years. Unbelievable.

And yet simpletons call “8GB isn’t enough” a meme instead of recognizing the stagnation that has happened in the GPU market since the 1080ti. They’re happy to pay daddy Jensen two or three times the price of yesteryear’s flagship cards because they’re better performing. As if it’s impossible for GPUs to get better without getting more expensive.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Bandwidth starved. Lol. Good luck with that. Why do they continue to gimp the Ti brand below the fucking XX80 Ti?
I had a 560 Ti and it was phenomenal till I started making enough scratch to purchase Titan.
The RTX 3060Ti was an absolute beast and the best bang for buck card of last generation.
People seem to forget it could with relative ease keep up with factory RTX 3070s and was 400 dollars MSRP, to put things into perspective it ran laps around the RTX 3060....and that was 340 dollars.
For a little extra you got a shit ton more performance, going up to a 3070 didnt make much sense if you could find a 3060Ti at MSRP.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
16 gig 4060 ti is going to be the top card for sure over all of its around $350. In sales that is.

Last edited:

hlm666

Why does Nvidia always feel the need to saturate the market? Just kill the 8GB 4060ti. It’s dead anyway.
They were probably expecting more competition from AMD so had the mid tier skus to sandwich AMD skus like previous gens. But somehow the wheels fell off AMDs car without nvidia even loosening the nuts.

Less bandwidth than a 3060 Ti AND 128-bit bus! These are pretty much 1080p only cards.
The RTX 3080 12GB version has 384-bit bus and a whopping 914 GB/s of memory BW, however the RTX4070 is not that far off, with only a 192-bit bus and 504 GB/s. It seems ADA is extremely efficient when it comes to memory BW, so let's wait for the RTX4060ti's reviews before drawing any conclusions about its gaming performance based solely on its memory bandwidth.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

The RTX 3080 12GB version has 384-bit bus and a whopping 914 GB/s of memory BW, however the RTX4070 is not that far off, with only a 192-bit bus and 504 GB/s. It seems ADA is extremely efficient when it comes to memory BW, so let's wait for the RTX4060ti's reviews before drawing any conclusions about its gaming performance based solely on its memory bandwidth.

Ada has more than 10 times the L2 cache of Ampere, that makes up quite a bit for the reduced bandwidth.....but at higher resolutions the weakness of lower bandwidth starts to rear it ugly head.
And with a bus as tight as 128bit, im really curious to see how the 4060Ti actually performs when its memory is being pushed.
Not discounting the generational architectural improvements.

Bojji

Ada has more than 10 times the L2 cache of Ampere, that makes up quite a bit for the reduced bandwidth.....but at higher resolutions the weakness of lower bandwidth starts to rear it ugly head.
And with a bus as tight as 128bit, im really curious to see how the 4060Ti actually performs when its memory is being pushed.
Not discounting the generational architectural improvements.

Plus the cut down PCIE bus, I love it.

AMD started this trend I belive:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They were probably expecting more competition from AMD so had the mid tier skus to sandwich AMD skus like previous gens. But somehow the wheels fell off AMDs car without nvidia even loosening the nuts.

In all honesty the price to performance value is so weak on Nvidia’s side, that AMD is fine just dropping the prices of their 6000 line.
I’m starting to think that why there’s no 7800XT yet. Like what’s the point when you’re now offering a 6950XT for under $650, and the 6800XT for $500-$550? It’s just not going to move the needle much, plus it’s not like you’re locked out of any features by buying a 6000 series GPU.

They’re arguably the best value in PC GPUs right now.

hlm666

In all honesty the price to performance value is so weak on Nvidia’s side, that AMD is fine just dropping the prices of their 6000 line.
I’m starting to think that why there’s no 7800XT yet. Like what’s the point when you’re now offering a 6950XT for under $650, and the 6800XT for $500-$550? It’s just not going to move the needle much, plus it’s not like you’re locked out of any features by buying a 6000 series GPU.

They’re arguably the best value in PC GPUs right now.
Those cards are running out of stock in markets already. We already had that other thread around here talking about aibs not sure they could make a profit on the 7700xt or something, what are they going to do once those rdna2 cards are gone? It's not like AMD are going to avoid this vram problem either when they are going to ship 8gb cards aswell.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Those cards are running out of stock in markets already. We already had that other thread around here talking about aibs not sure they could make a profit on the 7700xt or something, what are they going to do once those rdna2 cards are gone? It's not like AMD are going to avoid this vram problem either when they are going to ship 8gb cards aswell.

[/URL]

They’re coming.https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amds-mainstream-rx-7000-gpus-to-arrive-before-july

Can someone explain to me like i’m five years old why a 4060ti would have more memory than a 4070 and 4070ti?
Well, imagine you have three toy boxes. One toy box is labeled 4060ti, another is labeled 4070, and the last one is labeled 4070ti.

The toy box labeled 4060ti is bigger than the other two toy boxes, so it can hold more toys. This is like how the 4060ti graphics card has more memory than the 4070 and 4070ti graphics cards.

Even though the 4070 and 4070ti might be newer and fancier than the 4060ti, they still have smaller toy boxes (less memory) so they can't hold as many toys (data) as the 4060ti.

Bojji

Can someone explain to me like i’m five years old why a 4060ti would have more memory than a 4070 and 4070ti?

I think Nvidia didn't want to give 4060ti more than 8GB but they saw how much people (YouTubers mostly) hated 4060ti having this shit amount of VRAM so they decided to have another version that will release later. Same story probably happened with 3060, i think it was supposed to have 6GB initially.

Memory buses are the reason here:

128\256 bit - 4\8\16GB (4060ti has 128)
192\384 bit - 6\12\24GB (4070 is 192}

I think Nvidia didn't want to give 4060ti more than 8GB but they saw how much people (YouTubers mostly) hated 4060ti having this shit amount of VRAM so they decided to have another version that will release later. Same story probably happened with 3060, i think it was supposed to have 6GB initially.

Memory buses are the reason here:

128\256 bit - 4\8\16GB (4060ti has 128)
192\384 bit - 6\12\24GB (4070 is 192}
way to dismiss the issue.

it think the original question was more why a higher tier sku has less memory than a lower tier sku, not what different vram sizes mean from a use perspective. So his answer was probably slightly more useful than your toybox analogy.
it wasn't mine. it was Chat GPT's 😝

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Because it makes it more attractive that a 7600XT and possibly a 7700XT, which will likely be a 12GB card.

There’s no reason to try with the 4070 and 4070ti.

Black_Stride

Long answer?

Trade off between memory bandwidth, memory type and VRAM amount.

The 4060Ti has a bandwidth of 288GB/s.....that shit is gonna be so slow.
The 4070Ti has a bandwidth of 504GB/s.....that helps it at 1440p though thats still kinda slow for 4K which is why you see it drop its advantage at higher resolutions vs the 3090.

The 4060Ti uses GDDR6
The 4070Ti uses GDDR6X

The 4070 and Ti have 2 unused memory slots on their PCBs, so in theory Nvidia could have done a 16GB version with a modified memory bus.
We will ignore butterfly configs because........just because.

Short answer:

Nvidia wanted to save some money.

DaGwaphics

Because it makes it more attractive that a 7600XT and possibly a 7700XT, which will likely be a 12GB card.

There’s no reason to try with the 4070 and 4070ti.

Agreed. Really just the same reasoning that created the 3060 12GB. If they do it, it is because they thought the 8GB would be too low for the price point.

Black_Stride

Nvidia have no shame....no shame at all.

RTX-4060-TI-HERO-BANNER-1200x374.jpg

399 should be the 16G....the 8G shouldnt even exist.
Base 4060 should be 330 to actually take on the 7600 which is expected to also be circa 330 dollars.

The base 4060 isnt going to be a particularly good card, but if the 60Ti is 400 dollars, Id hope the base 4060 is 300 or less

Black_Stride

Offically announced:
NVIDIA-RTX-4060-TI-SPECS-PRICING.jpg

Please not the 8GB is 399 the 16GB is 499.
Just save a bit and get a 4070 the gap is much wider than 100 dollars worth.

Worse still the base 4060 is unlikely to beat the 3070 in most cases.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
8gbvram on the 4060 is disapponting but that TGP is great
bandwidth is 453gb/s effective
priced at 330 i presume?

Last edited:
Top Bottom