• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - PlayStation 5 To Be Almost As Powerful As RTX 2080; GPU To Be Clocked At 2GHZ

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A few hours ago, Komachi leaked Oberon sample clocks, which is assumed to be the same as Ariel and Gonzalo, both considered to be the name of the APU for the PlayStation 5. The gen2 number is extremely high, and it would put the console ahead of the AMD Navi 5700 GPU and almost on par with the RTX 2080 in terms of power.

According to this leak- the GPU will be clocked at an insane 2ghz.

This equates to 9.2 TF on the RDNA architecture. Or roughly 14 TF on the GCN Architecture aka over double the power of the X1X. Almost RTX2080 power.

Exclusive picture of PS5's custom cooling system:

engineer-wearing-hardtop-protective-goggles-260nw-12044344.jpg

Cool. But I’m not the average PS consumer. I would buy an $800 PlayStation. For most that would be out of the question.

Unless they are incredibly underpowered other parts of the machine. But the other rumor was Sony wants balance.

How are they gonna price this for an average consumer?

JordanN

Banned
Good, it doesnt need to be cheap. I'd rather they launch expensive and give us good hardware.
Eh, not quite.

We had super expensive consoles come out in the past, but the hardware didn't make up for it.

NduhhcZ.png

Even the original Playstation was still cheaper than the Saturn and the 3DO and graphically speaking, it was better.

Last edited:

Myths

Would’ve been more blown away if they’d said 2080ti, but that clock rate does catch an eye ...

joe_zazen

The build quality of the ps4 across this gen has been shithouse....here’s hoping they take a page from the x1x around silent cooling solutions

Sony is not much if a hardware manufacturing company anymore beyond image sensors. r&d for playstation is now all done in San Francisco, so maybe 5 will turn out better? All the best stuff comes out of San Francisco.

Last edited:

Vorg

Banned
Yeah, that will happen. (it won't, the console would be too expensive and draw too much power.)

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm probably getting the PS5 on day one or close to launch date but this has 0 chance of happening.
I’m definitely not a hardware expert, but this seems like too much kit for what I would assume would be $500 maximum. Even selling at a loss in the beginning, they’d be losing hundreds of dollars a unit, right?

Unless this thing is slated to come out in late 2021.

To paraphrase digital foundry in a recent video “Console system specs are always going to be disappointing and less than you’d hoped to maintain a reasonable price point”.

Aggelos

Guys, PS4 is doing a fantastic job in terms of sales figures.

Sony isn't not in a hurry to launch. Even MS (that's fallen back) said their new Scarlett is coming out Fall 2020. Rumours have been floating around quite some time now, about the new systems encroaching the market by degrees. But apparently there's a long way to go.
Sony is not launching a system in this Fiscal Year.
I consider it possible that they might not even unveil their system in the present FY. Sure thing, they may show us some demos of what the next-gen promises, but there's still a long way to go.

The bottom line is : selling PS5 at a loss combined with a possible launch in Winter 2020 over even way past that, it would be possible for the system to be close to RTX 2080 power and maintain a reasonable price.

A.Romero

I’m definitely not a hardware expert, but this seems like too much kit for what I would assume would be $500 maximum. Even selling at a loss in the beginning, they’d be losing hundreds of dollars a unit, right?

Unless this thing is slated to come out in late 2021.

To paraphrase digital foundry in a recent video “Console system specs are always going to be disappointing and less than you’d hoped to maintain a reasonable price point”.

That's right. No need to be an expert to find unlikely that the equivalent to a $500 GPU will be included in a sub $800 console.

It has never happened and it won't ever happen.

Golgo 13

They were the ones who low-balled down to 8TF, they have no idea.
I think they’re generally pretty knowledgeable when it comes to game tech. Care to elaborate?
That's right. No need to be an expert to find unlikely that the equivalent to a $500 GPU will be included in a sub $800 console.

Unless it’s a 2021 machine. And let’s not forget cooling and power supply. This new generation is going to likely be way more power intensive with their decent CPU’s and huge GPU’s.

A.Romero

I think they’re generally pretty knowledgeable when it comes to game tech. Care to elaborate?

Unless it’s a 2021 machine. And let’s not forget cooling and power supply. This new generation is going to likely be way more power intensive with their decent CPU’s and huge GPU’s.

I don't think they will release much later from Microsoft. They learned from the PS3.

Having a 2080 in 2021 is like having a 1070 today. Why not have what we can today?

For cutting edge I rather go to a PC.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
OK spec experts, here's a question............

For consoles, it seems the gpu was ok, but the cpu was gimped.

XBox X is 6 TF, but still had a Jaguar cpu and 12 gigs of GDDR5. Still cranks out good stuff, but gimped.

But for next gen, if PS5 and Scarlett get a good boost in CPU (all this Zen stuff), good amounts of GDDR6 ram (16-24), and a good GPU............ so you get a balanced system reaching a total of let's say 8-10 TF, will that be enough to crank out next gen level games at 4k/60?

Or will it still be "not much better than Xbox X"?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why? PC GPU's are sold WAY over cost. Why? Because people pay for them.
Yup. And GPU makers have set into people's minds that a low end is $100 and a high end card is $1,000+.

Just like games. Most are $60. Doesn't matter if it's a AAA budget game or Namco Museum Collection #8. Likely $60 as a start.

Why does a glass of coke at restaurant cost $2-3 when it's about 10 cents of syrup? And a bottle of beer is $5 when the bar buys them for about $1 off the beer maker?

Ridiculous margins. But people are used to those prices even if the profits are stupidly high.

Golgo 13

OK spec experts, here's a question............

For consoles, it seems the gpu was ok, but the cpu was gimped.

XBox X is 6 TF, but still had a Jaguar cpu and 12 gigs of GDDR5. Still cranks out good stuff, but gimped.

But for next gen, if PS5 and Scarlett get a good boost in CPU (all this Zen stuff), good amounts of GDDR6 ram (16-24), and a good GPU............ so you get a balanced system reaching a total of let's say 8-10 TF, will that be enough to crank out next gen level games at 4k/60?

Or will it still be "not much better than Xbox X"?

Not an expert, but I know enough to say “No”, games won’t magically be 4K/60FPS on a consistent basis with more powerful console hardware. Developers will typically choose graphical fidelity %99 of the time over frame rate in console development for many reasons, but let’s go with the obvious — impressive graphics sell games, high frame rates do not. Keep in mind I’m speaking of the average consumer, not a hardcore gamer.

Will frame rates be better, on the average with the significant upgrade to CPU’s? Maybe. But I think it’s more likely to be used in AI, physics, environmental simulation, etc.

That’s why people choose PC gaming — the flexibility of the experience. Want high frame rates? Go ahead. Want ultra maxed out graphical settings? Knock yourself out. Or you can meet somewhere in the middle. With console games you typically get whatever the developers decided was best suited for the specs of the console hardware.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If the spec is true. In Great Britain I expect a price of £450.
Xbox X started at $600 in Canada. It actually should have been $650 with the US/Can exchange rate since the US was $500, but I guess MS Canada absorbed $50.

If X was $600 and these new systems are big time TF, they will be $700 CDN...... which is roughly £450!

Shmunter

Xbox X started at $600 in Canada. It actually should have been $650 with the US/Can exchange rate since the US was $500, but I guess MS Canada absorbed $50.

If X was $600 and these new systems are big time TF, they will be $700 CDN...... which is roughly £450!
X and Pro will likely be cancelled. Both are aimed at the premium gamer who will be the first to jump onto the next gen, their market proposition dilutes significantly. Base systems will remain for a good time as a budget system for casuals.

New gen needs to be priced right for speedy adoption so X and Pro premium pricing model will likely not be comparable.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
I am curious if the ps5 and scarlet's processors will be built on the new 7nm EUV process or the older 7nm process. If it's the EUV version, then these rumours about high clock speeds would make more sense.

bitbydeath

That happens all the time.
PS3 had around $2000 worth of tech.
Granted that was unusual but still shows off the severity of where things have gone.

A.Romero

That happens all the time.
PS3 had around $2000 worth of tech.
Granted that was unusual but still shows off the severity of where things have gone.
A big part of that (it true, it sounds too high) was the blu-ray drive and the fact that 1st Gen had the emotion engine too. Here we are talking GPU alone. Sony simply wouldn't make the same mistake.

bitbydeath

A big part of that (it true, it sounds too high) was the blu-ray drive and the fact that 1st Gen had the emotion engine too. Here we are talking GPU alone. Sony simply wouldn't make the same mistake.

The emotion engine in the PS2 wouldn’t have been cheap either. PS3 Blu-Ray drive was over $1000 alone, Cell would also have been expensive, hell it still rivals the Jaguar CPU in the PS4.

Zannegan

Good, it doesnt need to be cheap. I'd rather they launch expensive and give us good hardware.
Only if you want next gen to become the exclusive playground of the core, which would drive parents and casual gamers (where the lion's share of the revenue comes from) to Stadia and co. thus ensuring that this is the last console gen.

Core gamers can be trendsetters and kingmakers when it comes to software, but hardware success is largely determined by price, and even though Stadia will likely end up more expensive over the generation, that initial price tag of $10 per month is much easier to swallow than $600-$800 with a subscription on top, especially once the free tier hits.

$400 up to $500 is probably the limit they can launch at unless we want a nice last hurrah followed by streaming services for all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom