• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - PlayStation 5 To Be Almost As Powerful As RTX 2080; GPU To Be Clocked At 2GHZ

Eliciel

If true then the allegedly leaked pre-order prices for PS5 could Turn Out to be closer to reality than it shouldn't be so far away from 600-700€ if all of those specs Turn Out to be true...

Which would bei really stupid to do...for consoles

Last edited:

Sentenza

I see that no console launch can escape the cycle of speculative "fanfictions" about the prowess of the upcoming hardware.
I wonder if we'll get our equivalent of people losing their shit about the GDDR5 RAM in the PS4 and painting it as if it was going to be some sort of Sorcery.

I see that no console launch can escape the cycle of speculative "fanfictions" about the prowess of the upcoming hardware.
I wonder if we'll get our equivalent of people losing their shit about the GDDR5 RAM in the PS4 and painting it as if it was going to be some sort of Sorcery.
It's always like this they even said PS4 was only gonna be 4gb they said 8gb gddr5 was a pipe dream!😂😂

If true then the allegedly leaked pre-order prices for PS5 could Turn Out to be closer to reality than it shouldn't be so far away from 600-700€ if all of those specs Turn Out to be true...

Which would bei really stupid to do...for consoles
What's the problem of buying a console for 700$ when people buy millions of iPhones for 1000$ is there some sort of magical eternal rule that consoles should be cheap commodities?

So it will be outdated as usual when it launches holiday 2020.
Dumb comparison. You don't look to consoles to be the most powerful tech on the market, because that's the tiny niche of monstrously powerful PC components barely anyone owns, that cost a bomb and are outdated within 12 months.

Consoles set the baseline, the minimum specs developers expect everyone to have and from which the high end bells and whistles can be extrapolated.

Now a 2080 equivelelant being the bog standard that anything less than isn't even being taken into consideration by developers? That's exciting.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Dumb comparison. You don't look to consoles to be the most powerful tech on the market, because that's the tiny niche of monstrously powerful PC components barely anyone owns, that cost a bomb and are outdated within 12 months.

Consoles set the baseline, the minimum specs developers expect everyone to have and from which the high end bells and whistles can be extrapolated.

Now a 2080 equivelelant being the bog standard that anything less than isn't even being taken into consideration by developers? That's exciting.
I hope the PS5 comes with 4080Ti RTX

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

I've been around the block a few times with next gen consoles and I highly doubt it'll be a powerful as people think. The cooling system to maintain a 2Ghz OC would be fucking huge.

I just don't want 4K with slightly prettier graphics whilst still running at 30fps. 4k60 should have been the target for these consoles. I think the current graphics are fantastic but a smoother frame rate is makes the experience all that much better.

mcz117chief

Hard to believe that a $500 console will have $500 component inside or however much these GPUs cost. I think we will be glad if it has 1070 equivalent. Even if we consider bulk prices and what not I don't believe for a second that a 2080 equivalent will be inside of the PS 5.

SNG32

Seems questionable. I mean if they release a console with this power a mid gen upgrade wouldn't be necessary. This has to be false since it wouldn't make room for a PS5 pro.

Eliciel

What's the problem of buying a console for 700$ when people buy millions of iPhones for 1000$ is there some sort of magical eternal rule that consoles should be cheap commodities?
Yeah, it's called target group and If you price your consoles wrongly and too high for the core of your target group you lose them. Rather thinking in the grand schöne of things Not on an individual basis

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hard to believe that a $500 console will have $500 component inside or however much these GPUs cost. I think we will be glad if it has 1070 equivalent. Even if we consider bulk prices and what not I don't believe for a second that a 2080 equivalent will be inside of the PS 5.

Console manufacturers are not going to pay what card makers pay, nor do they need to worry about nVidia tax.

Sony has invested over $1 billion in R&D last I heard with AMD, so that, combined with 100+ million in sales I would wager gives them more bang for their buck this go round.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Console manufacturers are not going to pay what card makers pay, nor do they need to worry about nVidia tax.

Sony has invested over $1 billion in R&D last I heard with AMD, so that, combined with 100+ million in sales I would wager gives them more bang for their buck this go round.
Right, but still, man. Why would anyone spend thousands of dollars on a PC if the console for 500 bucks has the same power. Trying to build a PC today around 2080 would be over 1k dollars I'm sure.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Right, but still, man. Why would anyone spend thousands of dollars on a PC if the console for 500 bucks has the same power. Trying to build a PC today around 2080 would be over 1k dollars I'm sure.

Different wants and needs. PC is not just about power, the minority own all that power.

Now I am not saying it will be equivalent to that power, but also, you cannot compare to nVidia tax and third party board makers cost when it comes to what Sony will be paying.

NickFire

I think they’re generally pretty knowledgeable when it comes to game tech. Care to elaborate?

Unless it’s a 2021 machine. And let’s not forget cooling and power supply. This new generation is going to likely be way more power intensive with their decent CPU’s and huge GPU’s.
Maybe they are looking at the revenue they are currently making, and targeting 2020 or 2021 for breaking even or making a profit on hardware? I don't have any idea as to what they pay or could stomach for losses without worrying shareholders, but based on the money they make of sofftware and the risk of being 1 upped by a competitor, it would certainly seem reasonable to protect that software revenue with a short term loss.

mcz117chief

Different wants and needs. PC is not just about power, the minority own all that power.

Now I am not saying it will be equivalent to that power, but also, you cannot compare to nVidia tax and third party board makers cost when it comes to what Sony will be paying.
Right, I get that.

Romulus

Sure, but that isn't the casual gamer mentality, and the PS3 suffered from this.

Yeah but the problem was the ps3 wasn't good hardware either. Even back then the perception was it just hype. It was an expensive turd that eventually got good looking games because of all the money Sony threw at top tier devs.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Good, it doesnt need to be cheap. I'd rather they launch expensive and give us good hardware.
If you only have the option to get a machine that has top notch graphics on games, and smooth ass fps, and with an TV that could go beyond 60hz. To people that doesn't have much money, it has alternatives with GPU less capable, and memory, even CPU, I don't know. Maybe the other generation we get this
kswlhfwr9r7b3xfz2w2q

Yeah, it's called target group and If you price your consoles wrongly and too high for the core of your target group you lose them. Rather thinking in the grand schöne of things Not on an individual basis
And please explain which target group is that and when did that target group decide a console should be 300$ and where does that target group have meetings so I could take a peek next time

Ellery

The usual clickbait websites are spreading clickbaity unverified and completely made up news and the usual gullible people are eating it up.

In the end it is just math, but the wish for performance can easily blind. Connecting dots here and there of rumors and suddenly you have a console that is as powerful as a 700$+ 250W graphics cards, but still manages to get a case, cpu, ram, blu ray drive, nvme ssds, ray tracing extra hardware accelerated secret sauce and power supply to fit the lower 400-500$ price point.

I mean YES PLEASE give me !, but wccftech is usually so hard on the guesses even if they copy pasted directly from a manufactures website they would somehow still get it wrong.

DESTROYA

Well the one thing I do hope is SONY gets the fan noise under control like MS did with the OneX.
Theoretically having all that power is all fine and dandy but you don’t want a console to be so loud it’s distracting. RTX 2080 performance requires a lot of power so I’d rather have a slightly bigger console with a better cooling solution.

Eliciel

And please explain which target group is that and when did that target group decide a console should be 300$ and where does that target group have meetings so I could take a peek next time
:) i think you get the point Overall. Target Groups exist. Not everyone pays 700€ for a console? Can WE agree on Something that Basic at least?

This thing has to be $499 in NA which makes sense, but with import duties and other tariffs, it's going to be priced more than $700 elsewhere around the world!

:) i think you get the point Overall. Target Groups exist. Not everyone pays 700€ for a console? Can WE agree on Something that Basic at least?
Not everybody does certainly but there is no target group that holds meetings and decides a console should be 300$ that's the most ridiculous myth in console gaming, in Africa a PS3 was more than 800$ some shops 2000$ and people still bought it, so to say consoles only deserve to be 300$ is an insult to the industry even shoes cost that much so why can't gamers appreciate the industry and invest in it like it deserves, why would Sony or Microsoft go miles to engineer a next gen console with next gen specs and sell it for losses everytime, there's more expensive silicon in a console than in a smart phone and people buy more new 1000$ smartphones with no technological difference from the last versions just for the sake of showing off that they bought one, while on consoles you get value for money, if your not ready to spend 600-800$ then be ready for weak consoles, if people really need next gen consoles with enough ram and processing power they should be ready to wake up and smell the coffee..

Eliciel

Not everybody does certainly but there is no target group that holds meetings and decides a console should be 300$ that's the most ridiculous myth in console gaming, in Africa a PS3 was more than 800$ some shops 2000$ and people still bought it, so to say consoles only deserve to be 300$ is an insult to the industry even shoes cost that much so why can't gamers appreciate the industry and invest in it like it deserves, why would Sony or Microsoft go miles to engineer a next gen console with next gen specs and sell it for losses everytime, there's more expensive silicon in a console than in a smart phone and people buy more new 1000$ smartphones with no technological difference from the last versions just for the sake of showing off that they bought one, while on consoles you get value for money, if your not ready to spend 600-800$ then be ready for weak consoles, if people really need next gen consoles with enough ram and processing power they should be ready to wake up and smell the coffee..
Personally, I'd pay 600€ for the PS5 as my individual Maximum. This ist based in my preferences/salary/expectations/Experience with past generations and the fact, that I also own a PC, Xbox, Nintendo Switch

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
I've been around the block a few times with next gen consoles and I highly doubt it'll be a powerful as people think. The cooling system to maintain a 2Ghz OC would be fucking huge.

I just don't want 4K with slightly prettier graphics whilst still running at 30fps. 4k60 should have been the target for these consoles. I think the current graphics are fantastic but a smoother frame rate is makes the experience all that much better.

Imo 4K is waste of resources. 1080p with ultra and 30/60fps is better than 4k with low/medium 60fps

ps4 best looking games are 1080/30, 4k = roughly 4x more demanding + 2x fps = lets say 8x more demanding with minor upgrades to graphics

= all the power wasted to make casual people happy, that have no knowledge or intelligence to understand that bigger number isnt always much better (1080 vs 4k)

best would be 1080p or bit more with upscaler + 60 fps = clearly better details vs current gen.

You crazy? I don't see it being priced beyond $499 at least from sony, they'd not mind taking a loss to get more people to jump into their next gen console.
Your not getting a faster than pc ssd+ 20 to 50 GB ram hbm2 or gddr6 + zen 2 CPU + 10 to 18 teraflop machine + us China trade war for 500$ wake up and smell the coffee.. they'd have to take 3-4 year losses to even break even

Personally, I'd pay 600€ for the PS5 as my individual Maximum. This ist based in my preferences/salary/expectations/Experience with past generations and the fact, that I also own a PC, Xbox, Nintendo Switch
if they come up with enough ram and not just that bullshit about SSD and loading times they keep chatting about then I wouldn't mind spending 600- 800$

Top Bottom