• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - PlayStation 5 To Be Almost As Powerful As RTX 2080; GPU To Be Clocked At 2GHZ

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
9.2 TF is that in between a 5700 and 5700xt ? Isn't this what a lot of people are saying for months ? I just didn't realize those Gpu where that close to a RTX2080.

Zannegan

9.2 TF is that in between a 5700 and 5700xt ? Isn't this what a lot of people are saying for months ? I just didn't realize those Gpu where that close to a RTX2080.
I thonk that was 9.2 on AMD's old architecture. On RDNA 9.2 is worth quite a bit more in-game, no?

Kazza

Eh, not quite.

We had super expensive consoles come out in the past, but the hardware didn't make up for it.

NduhhcZ.png

Even the original Playstation was still cheaper than the Saturn and the 3DO and graphically speaking, it was better.

The 3DO was released well before the PS1, so I don't think that is a fair comparison, as new tech (such as CD drives and 3D processors) gets cheaper with age. The Saturn came with a game ($60) plus built in memory ($20-$30 for PS1 memory card), so the price difference isn't as much as it seems at first glance.

BC is a given for both next-gen consoles, so Sony could be about to position the PS5 as a deluxe/expensive console for the first two years of its life, while continuing to support the PS4/Pro.

Sony is not much if a hardware manufacturing company anymore beyond image sensors. r&d for playstation is now all done in San Francisco, so maybe 5 will turn out better? All the best stuff comes out of San Francisco.
i just honestly hope they work on this as some games i cant play without headphones on ...seems to be in quite a few games where it sits on a menu the jet engine engages

Dr.D00p

Gold Member

9.2TF on the new RDNA architecture is (supposedly) ~25% faster than 9.2TF would be on the current consoles. So that would make it about as fast as a current 2080. Add in the fact that with the much lower API overheads of the console development envoirement and teams of programmers optimising code down to the console metal, it could potentially give real world performance closer to a 2080Ti.

Romulus

Console developers are basically optimization gods at this point, the ps4 pro jaguar is worse than an I3.
Now were tossing a mid range PC cpu AND way more GPU at them, but at the same target resolution of 4k or just below.

An highly overclocked 5700XT is not that far off from a 2080. Yet it only has 40 CUs.

PS5's GPU will be custom of course, and will add more CUs, in-between a 5700XT and a 5800XT (yet to be released). Remember it is not due for over a year, so over 2Ghz clock in 2020 will be just about possible on a refined/rebadged, heavily custom 5700XT.

McCheese

Nope, it'll be like 10% more powerful than the 1080ti, about the same as the next Xbox.

Half these stories are probably manufactured to get the other team sweating, this comes a day after another site said Scarlet will be an entire generation ahead of the PS5. It's the corporate edition of "my dad could beat up your dad".

daninthemix

So allegedly almost as powerful as the number 2 Nvidia card 2+ years after it was released?

Not sure if I'm supposed to be impressed or underwhelmed.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Nope, it'll be like 10% more powerful than the 1080ti, about the same as the next Xbox.

Half these stories are probably manufactured to get the other team sweating, this comes a day after another site said Scarlet will be an entire generation ahead of the PS5. It's the corporate edition of "my dad could beat up your dad".

images

Kagey K

Banned
All this shit is garbage. Everyone looking for clicks, it’s best to ignore it and wait for the actual specs.

There will be 500 YouTube videos about this tomorrow, and next week there will be more about why these weren’t right.

It’s nice to imagine in your head, but don’t give clicks to people that just want to spread trash.

Myths

I don't think they will release much later from Microsoft. They learned from the PS3.

Having a 2080 in 2021 is like having a 1070 today. Why not have what we can today?

For cutting edge I rather go to a PC.
Which is the reason I made that move, now realizing the massive leaps in PC hardware these past several years isn't a joke. But neither is the cost...

Yes it is, but for some reason i didn't realize a 5700xt was close to a rtx 2080, minus the ray tracing.

Problem with the 5700 cards is they leech power, run super hot and super loud. The5700xt is closer to the rtx 2700 super but while consuming 2x the power and making 5x the noise. And this is with a smaller 7nm process. AMD literally had to brute force the 5700 to make it comparable to nvidias high end parts....using a smaller method.

AMD's graphics architecture even at 7nm in navi is too inneficient to give you 2080 performance on a soc. AMD are still at least 2 generations behind in terms of gpu architecture.

sircaw

Banned
Problem with the 5700 cards is they leech power, run super hot and super loud. The5700xt is closer to the rtx 2700 super but while consuming 2x the power and making 5x the noise. And this is with a smaller 7nm process. AMD literally had to brute force the 5700 to make it comparable to nvidias high end parts....using a smaller method.

Is that you Jenson?

A few hours ago, Komachi leaked Oberon sample clocks, which is assumed to be the same as Ariel and Gonzalo, both considered to be the name of the APU for the PlayStation 5. The gen2 number is extremely high, and it would put the console ahead of the AMD Navi 5700 GPU and almost on par with the RTX 2080 in terms of power.

According to this leak- the GPU will be clocked at an insane 2ghz.

This equates to 9.2 TF on the RDNA architecture. Or roughly 14 TF on the GCN Architecture aka over double the power of the X1X. Almost RTX2080 power.

I remember on ResetEra how people were being mocked (myself included) that these next gen machines won't get anywhere near 14TF. Its refreshing to see this is now likely the case and one of my biggest wishes.
A 14TF next gen machine with that monstrous CPU will bound to deliver games we've been dreaming off for the longest time especially when it comes to physics and physics calculations.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's a rumour at best but... the power won't match 2080.

These articles are so stupid. “Don’t worry PC gamers...”

Why would you worry in the first place? As a PC gamer you should want the most powerful console you can get, because it will push PC gaming forward as well.

Fanaticism is gaming’s own worst enemy.

Last edited:
Good, it doesnt need to be cheap. I'd rather they launch expensive and give us good hardware.
This is silly to me. Consoles aren't necessarily supposed to go this route, and not a single expensive console has been successful. Are we really so bothered by graphical limitations despite the good things that came from them? On top of the casual demographic that would be completely ignored because premium prices like that have a more hardcore demographic, especially when we look at PC.

I'd much rather the console be affordable at $3-400 than have a $6-700 console and spend years not playing any new games because I'd have to wait a pretty long while for a major price drop. The PS4 launched at $400 and developers have now figured out ways to optimize PBR, temporal AA, AO, and global illumination at once.

TL;DR It's not needed and I personally don't see the point.

bitbydeath

This is silly to me. Consoles aren't necessarily supposed to go this route, and not a single expensive console has been successful. Are we really so bothered by graphical limitations despite the good things that came from them? On top of the casual demographic that would be completely ignored because premium prices like that have a more hardcore demographic, especially when we look at PC.

I'd much rather the console be affordable at $3-400 than have a $6-700 console and spend years not playing any new games because I'd have to wait a pretty long while for a major price drop. The PS4 launched at $400 and developers have now figured out ways to optimize PBR, temporal AA, AO, and global illumination at once.

TL;DR It's not needed and I personally don't see the point.

Cause for VR to really take off the machine must be powerful.

ultrazilla

Tech NeoGAF:

So if this ends up being true, they'll surely think about cooling solutions because the jet engine fans the PS4(Pro) had will surely melt down?!

Would liquid cooling be feasible and not cost prohibitive here?

Tech NeoGAF:

So if this ends up being true, they'll surely think about cooling solutions because the jet engine fans the PS4(Pro) had will surely melt down?!

Would liquid cooling be feasible and not cost prohibitive here?
Sony will use best possible cooling methods and parts to get the machine as quite and cool as possible. They will surely not be skimping on quality components this time around as the Xbox One X has raised the bar in terms of fit and finish. Scarlett sure as hell will try to raise the bar in terms of quality compared to One X. Sony sure as hell won't want PS5 to be of lower quality compared to an outgoing Xbox One X. Imagine that scenario. MS would have a field day beating that drum to customers.
I'm 100 percent sure PS5 will up the bar dramatically in terms of quality hardware wise but i do hope that Sony relaunch PS4 Pro Slim with better cooling solution.

Depends on what is your definition of almost. Apparently 5700 xt is within 20 % of rtx 2080 super performance and yet AMD asks for only half of what 2080 super goes for. Seems like a crazy good deal that 5700 xt is or is it that 2080 s is crazy overpriced :pie_thinking:

btw basic 2070 is already double the xb1x performance.

it wont be clocked at 2GHZ, the gpu will be at 1.6 GHZ at most. you can come back to this comment a few months from now and ask how do I know! I don't but it won't be at 2GHZ, the heat and power at that clock is too high for a SoC
More likely 1.8Ghz, anything above that power consumption spikes, AMD Game clock as they say.

All this shit is garbage. Everyone looking for clicks, it’s best to ignore it and wait for the actual specs.

There will be 500 YouTube videos about this tomorrow, and next week there will be more about why these weren’t right.

It’s nice to imagine in your head, but don’t give clicks to people that just want to spread trash.
true. I very highly doubt that a similar gpu to 5700 xt can be squeezed in a tiny box under a cheap cooling solution and operate at 2 GHz maintaining acceptable temp and noise levels.

Something like 1,6 GHz seem much more probable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
true. I very highly doubt that a similar gpu to 5700 xt can be squeezed in a tiny box under a cheap cooling solution and operate at 2 GHz maintaining acceptable temp and noise levels.

Something like 1,6 GHz seem much more probable.

Last edited:

LixhulHot

Banned
I'm interested to see how the console creators shift their market selection once the next-gen arises in reflection to the mid-gen consoles. Would it be PS5/PS4Pro or simply PS5/PS4?

Let's face it though, this gen was perhaps the worst I can recall. It was full of remakes and broken promises. I quit this gen 2 years ago and not missed it, whereas I went through the rest in their entirety. I can only hope the PS5/Xbox Scarlett generation is a smoother one.

Kenpachii

Depends on what is your definition of almost. Apparently 5700 xt is within 20 % of rtx 2080 super performance and yet AMD asks for only half of what 2080 super goes for. Seems like a crazy good deal that 5700 xt is or is it that 2080 s is crazy overpriced :pie_thinking:

btw basic 2070 is already double the xb1x performance.

Lol dude 2080 super is its own class video card same with 2080 ti, 5700xt isn't even coming close towards it.

That 5700xt is running red hot and can't even beat a 2070 super in 9 out of the 10 games. Because the performance of the card is a rollercoaster, and a super 2070 is pretty much a 1080 ti which will be 3 years old by the time that console launches which will be the lowest budget GPU performance nvidia will sell in that time period on PC, because the 1080 is already the 2060 which is phased out now for a 1080+ performance 2060 super, next step is 1080 ti as 3060.

So basically nothing special if it launches at the end of 2020 and start 2021 Same goes for the ryzen it probably sits at around 1700 performance at the end of things, which is a CPU that's by then pretty much a budget chip, next 4600 ryzen is going to be a 8/16 core for 200 bucks most likely.

The only reason i can think off that 2ghz clock making sense if they are pushing out a new GPU chip that is based at the 5700xt and improves performance that matches that. However they also still need to cool it and power consumption is very real at that point. I probably would say its more around the 5700 then anything else as far as it seems like. Which currently falls in between 1080 / 1080 ti.

The safest bet atm is a 5700 what's going to sit in that box which makes more sense, with a budget ryzen CPU by 2020 standards and some ram and a ssd that don't push the bank. Then sell it off for 399.

Last edited:

trikster40

I’m in regardless. I’ve bought every PS system at launch. I’ve already got money in the bank just waiting for a preorder.

I love some power, but I love Sony’s first party games more. Whatever it takes so their devs can create their vision.

Kenpachii

I’m in regardless. I’ve bought every PS system at launch. I’ve already got money in the bank just waiting for a preorder.

I love some power, but I love Sony’s first party games more. Whatever it takes so their devs can create their vision.

That's the thing, they don't need it they got there first party games. There is absolute no need for them to go bankrupt by pushing top end hardware inside a box at losses or to push high price that pushes consumers away. They can simple just release a PS5 pro 2 years later with a better GPU or CPU and be done with it. All there hardware is going to function like PC's anyway. Should be easy BC with it.

Which makes all these rumors about the specs highly unlikely.

Last edited:

yurinka

Well, it's just another rumor. I prefer to don't think too much about specs unless they are oficial or come from very reliable sources.

Great. Will it also have fun and interesting games, or did they spend all their time and focus on the hardware?
All previous Playstations featured most of the best and most innovative games of their generation, so yes will feature fun and interesting games. Spoiler: Sony studios won't stop making games and they won't stop being supported by all the important 3rd party companies.

Last edited:
Lol dude 2080 super is its own class video card same with 2080 ti.

That 5700xt is running red hot and can't even beat a 2070 super in 9 out of the 10 games. Because the performance of the card is a rollercoaster, and a super 2070 is pretty much a 1080 ti which will be 3 years old by the time that console launches which will be the lowest budget GPU performance nvidia will sell in that time period on PC.

There is a reason why nobody buys those cards on PC. They are even dropping in price as we speak while the 2000 super series are selling like hot cakes atm and increasing its price as result.

The only reason i can think off that 2ghz clock making sense if they are pushing out a new GPU chip that is based at the 5700xt and improves performance that matches that. However they also still need to cool it and power consumption is very real at this point.

The safest bet atm is a 5700 what's going to sit in that box which makes more sense, with a budget ryzen CPU by 2020 standards and some ram and a ssd that don't push the bank. Then sell it off for 399.
Hm That's such a non issue. Put an accelero 4 or any cheapo aio with kraken mounting kit and whoila easy 2Ghz locked at all times at super low temp and noise levels while still being cheaper than 2070s.

BS rumor,they need to keep the price of the console low to be able to sell,they can't go more than 500$,even that is a lot for a console.

DarkestHour

Banned
We hear this same crap from know-it-alls every time a new system is coming out and then it turns out to be a piece of crap that can't even do 60 FPS at 1080p with extremely long loading times because the designer felt SATA II with a weak CPU was a great idea.

Sony is not much if a hardware manufacturing company anymore beyond image sensors. r&d for playstation is now all done in San Francisco, so maybe 5 will turn out better? All the best stuff comes out of San Francisco.
Sony are taking over the pro/semi pro camera market from Canon and Nikon (this is old news by now), they also involved in a million other business areas.

BC is a given for both next-gen consoles, so Sony could be about to position the PS5 as a deluxe/expensive console for the first two years of its life, while continuing to support the PS4/Pro.
This is how I see the next generation being introduced - I think Sony will have a few PS5 only titles early on - but I could be completely wrong.

9.2TF on the new RDNA architecture is (supposedly) ~25% faster than 9.2TF would be on the current consoles. So that would make it about as fast as a current 2080. Add in the fact that with the much lower API overheads of the console development envoirement and teams of programmers optimising code down to the console metal, it could potentially give real world performance closer to a 2080Ti.
These low level APIs seems to make more difference for CPU (these Jaguars in the PS4 sure perform pretty good compared to a PC with a core i3, which should be much faster than the jaguars), for the GPU, I'm not so sure, once the CPU processed everything and pass the data to the GPU it does its thing, that's probably more dependent on programmer's skills.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Always wanted to ask this. How can they achieve such prowess on "cheap" devices? Do they operate on a loss?
Consoles and PC hardware act totally differently.

Console makers try to build up their unit base by selling hardware cheap, then sell games and collect a royalty for each copy. Stores selling consoles breakeven too because they want gamers coming back to buy games and controllers.

So a console maker will buy all the chips from AMD and HDD from Seagate (or whomever) and put it all together, sell it for cost to a store. And the store sells it for cost to a gamer. If not at cost, pretty darn close. And if this was a few gens ago, MS and Sony were taking losses hoping they could make it all back on games.

PC spec makers have no allegiance but their own individual bubble. So everyone from a cpu maker to gpu maker to which ever company makes the power supply are all making and selling stuff for profit. But the key is the store is also trying to make their cut. So while they will breakeven selling a PS4, they will surely try to make profit margin on every PC spec you buy. It's not like AMD or Nvidia are going to sell their chips cheap because they will make back profits on every PC game sold.

It's now even worse for PC gamers because probably 99% of PC games are bought digitally, where the store can't make software profits anymore. So if they are going to sell a cpu, gpu or HDD, they will surely jack up the price to make money right off the bat.

sendit

Considering this will be released next year. Being almost at the level of a 2018 GPU isn’t out of the ordinary given the price point they’re trying to hit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Considering this will be released next year. Being almost at the level of a 2018 GPU isn’t out of the ordinary given the price point they’re trying to hit.
Ya.

With recent consoles basically being PCs shrunk down to small unit, people's expectations are too high.

Too many people are expecting the old gens where MS, Sony or Nintendo would do crazy weird tech PCs couldn't do well, and MS/Sony willing to take a $200 loss per unit..... all resulting in groundbreaking tech at $300.

Not like that anymore.

GermanZepp

Im in this camp too. 1080ti performance, 16gb of ram , ssd. And some unexcpected gimmick in the controller that rise the price. $500.

Hope they realease the console with better specs tough.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's the thing, they don't need it they got there first party games. There is absolute no need for them to go bankrupt by pushing top end hardware inside a box at losses or to push high price that pushes consumers away. They can simple just release a PS5 pro 2 years later with a better GPU or CPU and be done with it. All there hardware is going to function like PC's anyway. Should be easy BC with it.

Which makes all these rumors about the specs highly unlikely.

They need to hit a price : performance sweet spot at launch though. Just releasing more powerful HW later on, even beating the competition, may not be enough... see One S and One X.

Top Bottom