• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is the next PC port being made by Nixxes

Draugoth

Gold Member
nixxes-pode-ser-o-estudio-responsavel-pela-versao-pc-de-ratchet-e-clank-rift-apart-087042.jpg

According to new information found in a studio job posting, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart could be Sony's next title on the way to PC:

A recent Nixxes job offer for a UI / UX engineer states "Experience in using Coherent middleware".

Source: https://www.nixxes.com/job/ux-ui-engineer/

The mentioned middleware is a game UI made by Coherent Labs, one of their featured (PS exclusive) games using it is Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Source: https://coherent-labs.com/powered-by-coherent-labs/

It's made by Insomniac Games and Nixxes already ported their Spider Man games, so I thought it might be logical.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
simpsons-hook-it-to-my-veins.gif

Several interesting things:

1. This is the poster child for the PS5's SSD, isn't it? Will be interesting to see how it fares on a regular SATA SSD or even an HDD.

2. I love the R&C series and haven't played this one. However, I've heard it's the weakest entry since the 2016 reboot. Any truth to that?

3. I'm hyped for this but was expecting Ghost of Tsushima first. This would be much more successful but by the sound of it, Nixxes is handling PS5 ports. So far they've done Spider-Man and Returnal. Next on the list is R&C. I'm guessing another studio like Jetpack Interactive will do the PC port of GOT if there is one (which I believe there is).

Last edited:

SeraphJan

This game might need Direct Storage to be able to function, not just Nvme

They should definitely add this game to PS Plus by the way

Traditional data streaming method might work on Sata drive, but expect stutter in intense scene transition sequence

Edit: For people think that SSD is not needed, then why are all the games designed for HDD in mind need those long corridor and elevator section to stream asset? I don't understand why this triggers people.

Last edited:

SNG32

1. This is the poster child for the PS5's SSD, isn't it? Will be interesting to see how it fares on a regular SATA SSD or even an HDD.

2. I love the R&C series and haven't played this one. However, I've heard it's the weakest entry since the 2016 reboot. Any truth to that?

3. I'm hyped for this but was expecting Ghost of Tsushima first. This would be much more successful but by the sound of it, Nixxes is handling PS5 ports. So far they've done Spider-Man and Returnal. Next on the list is R&C. I'm guessing another studio like Jetpack Interactive will do the PC port of GOT if there is one (which I believe there is).
I’m pretty sure we will see this year.

Ghosts of tshushima
Ratchet and Clank
Horizon Forbidden West

2. I love the R&C series and haven't played this one. However, I've heard it's the weakest entry since the 2016 reboot.

Didn't someone in here say that with enough RAM on PC you'd be able to load levels like in R&C? Versus streaming the assets in... or something.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I love the R&C series and haven't played this one. However, I've heard it's the weakest entry since the 2016 reboot. Any truth to that?
it's better than the 2016 reboot but both games aren't really anything interesting or fun. R&C has mostly been shallow and boring since 2010.
that being said, It's a graphical showcase so i'm afraid for how good it'd look on PC

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know what the typical speed of a PC gamer's SSD is, but fear not PC gamers.

When DF did their test using a 3.2gb/s compatible SSD installed in a PS5, the game worked fine. So you dont need a 5.5gb/s SSD.

Heck, even if you got an old SSD at 1 or 2gb/s it might be fine too. But 3.2gb/s is a benchmark stat that is proven to work well.

Kilau

I dont know what the typical speed of a PC gamer's SSD is, but fear not PC gamers.

When DF did their test using a 3.2gb/s compatible SSD installed in a PS5, the game worked fine. So you dont need a 5.5gb/s SSD.

Heck, even if you got an old SSD at 1 or 2gb/s it might be fine too. But 3.2gb/s is a benchmark stat that is proven to work well.
I don’t know that it’s really all about the max speed of the drive but more about the decompression speed. Direct storage benchmark reads 3 times faster than the max reported speed of the NVME drive I tested.

Other’s with more knowledge can chime in though, I could be totally incorrect.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

DF tested some games using a 1.8 GBps ssd that PS5 allows you to put in. I believe Matrix is what they tested and it ran fine. 1.8 GBps is the slowest Gen 4 SSD out there. I am pretty sure it wouldve run Ratchet as well.

Ratchet's level switching is already limited by the CPU since there are loading times despite the 5.5 GBps read/write speeds and the fact that they tied the actual level switching to setpieces. The rest of the times they did the level switching was for Blizar Prime which had two versions of the same map like Titanfall, and not the entirely different worlds they showed in the reveal trailer.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Cant wait to see the game work perfectly fine on ppl with HDD's and see the obvious sony fanboys on this thread cry to their mommies. Glad I waited and didnt buy it on PS5, this shit is gonna look insane on PC. Hopefully they port both games in one package. Also fuck sony for no Bloodborne PC port nor PS5 patch.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
it's better than the 2016 reboot but both games aren't really anything interesting or fun. R&C has mostly been shallow and boring since 2010.
that being said, It's a graphical showcase so i'm afraid for how good it'd look on PC
I really enjoyed A Crack in Time and the Future series but they're all kind of stuck on PS3. At this point, beggars can't be choosers I guess. Would be nice if Sony did a remastered collection on PS5 or something.

Idk who told you that when Insomniac themselves said they’re barely scratching the surface with it.
I know but the PS5's SSD is incredibly fast so it's pretty unlikely we'll ever see it put to full use. I meant that it was claimed that this game isn't possible on an HDD (and I may have heard SATA SSD but not sure).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
DF tested some games using a 1.8 GBps ssd that PS5 allows you to put in. I believe Matrix is what they tested and it ran fine. 1.8 GBps is the slowest Gen 4 SSD out there. I am pretty sure it wouldve run Ratchet as well.

Ratchet's level switching is already limited by the CPU since there are loading times despite the 5.5 GBps read/write speeds and the fact that they tied the actual level switching to setpieces. The rest of the times they did the level switching was for Blizar Prime which had two versions of the same map like Titanfall, and not the entirely different worlds they showed in the reveal trailer.
Thanks. I musta missed the 1.8gb/s Matrix article.

Buggy Loop

A game that hasn't received even a Pro patch, let alone one for PS5?

Yeah sure, Bloodborne is just around the corner. Aaaany day now.

Sony isn't dumb. They know the thirst for this game, on Playstation side too. They would be the biggest doofus in business to not have this in the pipeline.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember this game, it's the one people on here claimed could never run on slower SSD than PS5's. Good times.
It was misleading marketing.

At the time Sony promoted 5.5gb/s and Insomniac did a tweet or article saying R&C cant be done without PS5's SSD. So gamers assumed the game needs an equivalent speed SSD to work.

But turns out, Insomniac's statement was simply just using an SSD in general. 5.5 speed not mandatory. And they never clarified that. Instead they let gamers run with it until DF did their tests with slower PC SSDs and it worked fine.

Last edited:

nowhat

Sony isn't dumb. They know the thirst for this game, on Playstation side too. They would be the biggest doofus in business to not have this in the pipeline.
Whether Sony is dumb is debatable... just that since we haven't had even a Pro patch, it just may be that the whole game is a mess and can't be simply ported to higher framerates/resolutions that easily. This being From Software, I don't think that's so outlandish.

(the studio have their merits, but tech is not one of them)

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I don’t know that it’s really all about the max speed of the drive but more about the decompression speed. Direct storage benchmark reads 3 times faster than the max reported speed of the NVME drive I tested.

Other’s with more knowledge can chime in though, I could be totally incorrect.

On the contrary, your comment is the most accurate in stating it's not about the ssd speed but rather the complex around it. DF said this as well but for whatever reason people apparently went deaf at that moment.

@13:42

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This game looks unbelievably good in quality mode. Looks like a CGI movie. Man it would be awesome to play with that quality at 4K >60FPS, really hope it’s true

Edder1

It was misleading marketing.

At the time Sony promoted 5.5gb/s and Insomniac did a tweet or article saying R&C cant be done without PS5's SSD. So gamers assumed the game needs an equivalent speed SSD to work.

But turns out, Insomniac's statement was simply just using an SSD in general. 5.5 speed not mandatory. And they never clarified that. Instead they let gamers run with it until DF did their tests with slower PC SSDs and it worked fine.
Anyone with common sense could have guessed that there was nothing groundbreaking about the game that it couldn't run slower SSDs, only die hard Sony fanatics were adamant that this was the case. As for devs, these sort of ambiguous and sometimes bizarre quotes are part and parcel at the beginning of every generation, only fanboys buy into that talk. I mean Tim Sweeny said you couldn't run UE5 PS5 tech demo on slower SSD when it was found out later UE5 needs less than 500MB/s to stream data, lol. That was clearly a lie and we should soon find out if what Insomniac said was another one of those lies

Holammer

It was listed in the Nvidia leak, so expected. While there's zero chance of it happening, I hope Sony releases the entire series on PC. There's a lot of of us that never played the game or only have a cursory relationship with the series.
It's not a series like Spyro or Crash that got pawned off to poor stewards. It's all canonical afaik.

3liteDragon

I know but the PS5's SSD is incredibly fast so it's pretty unlikely we'll ever see it put to full use. I meant that it was claimed that this game isn't possible on an HDD (and I may have heard SATA SSD but not sure).
SATA SSD most likely, but an HDD most likely not. The minimum spec’s gonna require an SSD as well.

Buggy Loop

It was listed in the Nvidia leak, so expected. While there's zero chance of it happening, I hope Sony releases the entire series on PC. There's a lot of of us that never played the game or only have a cursory relationship with the series.
It's not a series like Spyro or Crash that got pawned off to poor stewards. It's all canonical afaik.

That list keeps on giving

Bryank75 must be having an aneurysm. Poor fella... I hope his ok.

On a serious note - exclusitivity is slowly fading away and eventually Sony will release day 1 on both platforms. Otherwise they're leaving too much money on the table.

Last edited:
Top Bottom