• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Sony intends to acquire CD Projekt Red and Days Gone 2 in development

Sony isn’t going to make any big third party purchases. It was all pr misdirection . They are laying off people as we speak. Or do you think Is it all for buying a big third party? 😵‍💫
These are unrelated. Companies trim areas that are not making money while simultaneously investing in areas they believe can be more profitable.

That said, I don't believe this rumor. We get these acquisition rumors every week and they are basically always wrong. Then we hear about an actual acquisition that no one saw coming.

These things don't tend to leak out like game announcements might.

Last edited:
Isn't CDPR partly owned/funded by Poland? How would that work...

I guess if you're going to do it, now would the most sense as their valuation is nowhere near high as it once was. I imagine that would change "should" their next game be at their normal quality level.

Boss Mog

It's a shame they launched Cyberpunk on last gen consoles, that controversy tarnished them a bit but the current gen versions of Cyberpunk are fantastic and the game is really great. I preferred it to GTA V which surprised me. I'm really looking forward to Phantom liberty. It would be a great buy for Sony.

The Fartist

Gold Member
do it jewish GIF

Before China does

Sony isn’t going to make any big third party purchases. It was all pr misdirection . They are laying off people as we speak. Or do you think Is it all for buying a big third party? 😵‍💫
Unfortunately that's not how businesses work... It would be GREAT if that is how it did tho. Microsoft is trying to acquire ActiBliz for $70 Billion, they also plan on laying off a total of 10,000 employees. That kind of stuff happens all the time too, you'll see reports of employees being laid off while a CEO/President is set to get a big fat bonus that year...

Sony basically has no presence in the WRPG market and with bethesda games off the table , this acquisition would make sense. Wish both Bethesda and cdpr remained multiplatform but when microsoft acquired bethesda they basically took all of sonys rpgs off the table in one swoop...and the ABK saga just got revived, the aquisition wars could be coming.
Not just bethesda, obsidian as well.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas alumni.
Poof.

Considering they have no interest in making their own western RPG, I guess they have to do something to combat the Bethesda and obsidian loss. I don’t believe this to be true though, but what the fuck do I know, lol.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Guerrilla Games already have some CDPR in it's staff working on Horizon, so it's like come back home for some of them.
Also, a The Witcher with Decima Engine would be incredible. I know they already plan to use UE5, but Decima have a plus in support by Sony and other studios.

Dodo123

Wasn't Cyberpunk 2077 in development for like 9 years and like $300 million in budget and still released broken and without implementing all of the announced features?
FAKE NEWS
The production of Cyberpunk 2077 started in May 2016...
Isn't CDPR partly owned/funded by Poland? How would that work...

I guess if you're going to do it, now would the most sense as their valuation is nowhere near high as it once was. I imagine that would change "should" their next game be at their normal quality level.
FAKE NEWS
Where did you get info on the company being owned by Poland? Lol, CD Projekt is a public company. The government doesnt own it... Does Biden's administration own Take Two?

coffinbirth

Two laughable rumors rolled into one. IDGAF what this leakers track history is, but their credibility is ZERO believing shit like this.

Now, had they mentioned cherry picking Embracer Groups portfolio, I'd believe that, as they are currently in a downward spiral in the market.

Aenima

Would be a great get for Sony, just CDPR the dev team, not CDP that includes GOG. But Days Gone 2 being in development make this fake, as Bend already confirmed they are working on a new IP.

“Today, we are excited to share just a snippet of news on our current project,” Bend’s McAllister wrote on Tuesday.

“We are currently working on a new IP that includes multiplayer and builds upon the open-world systems of Days Gone, but brings you a whole new world that we are extremely excited to craft for you. We cannot wait to reveal it to you when the time is right.”
Sauce

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
What? The game was released in a broken state not unlike other games in recent years. That's what sunk the game review wise. I skipped it until they fixed most of the issues. It's good now but let's not pretend this was some shining gem that got dunked on by cancel culture.

Dont be ridiculous. Broken games never stopped critics from giving high scores to games. You'd be fucking naive. Look at the recent releases. None of them lowered their scores for performance issues.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Dont know what kind of future jimbo and sony has in their minds ... so Im against all aquisitions untill we discover specially after the last gaas extravaganza showcase

coffinbirth

I doubt any of this is true, but how does this debunk anything?
Because they are a publicly traded company, they would have to annouce this intention publicly at the onset of the process. Not something that a blogger is gonna have inside information on.

Topher

Gold Member
He’s ex-CDPR. Created Edgerunners.

Being an ex-employee doesn't debunk anything either.

Because they are a publicly traded company, they would have to annouce this intention publicly at the onset of the process. Not something that a blogger is gonna have inside information on.

There were private discussions between Microsoft and Activision Blizzard weeks before anything was announced. But yes, I doubt any blogger would have knowledge of this.

Yes, but keep complaining about MS buying Activision.

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They can negotiate all they want for however long they want.

They are obligated to announce as soon as they both agree on the transaction.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So there was this internal rumor a year ago. Perhaps the Days Gone 2 is being greenlit because of this potential CDPR acquisition?

Ek8NeTx.jpg

Again, for the record, I don't think this particular rumor is true, but the combo of CDPR x Days Gone 2 is very interesting and too big of a coincidence.

Oh no.

What's going to happen with GOG if Sony acquires CDPR? I'm worried that means kissing DRM free games goodbye.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

Actually this might confirm it even more. Think about it. He said it could've released this year if Sony werent a bunch of dicks 4 years ago, but that doesnt mean it wont release in the next few years and Sony might've given them the greenlight now after seeing its success on PC.

No the game was literally mid

You guys are just making up shit in your heads

Topher

Gold Member
The boy offered no insight. This is how all public companies acquisitions work. This is not the debunk you thought it was.

Correct. If we look back at how this was done with ABK, Phil Spencer and Bobby Kotick had private conversations about an acquisition. Phil Spencer brought the potential deal to Satya Nadella. There were continued discussions until an agreement was made. At that point, an announcement was made and Bobby Kotick brought the deal to stockholders who then had to vote on which to accept the deal.

January 2022 Deal announced:

April 2022 Stockholders approve:

Having said that, I don't believe for a second that there is a deal in the works. In the unlikely event that it is then I hope regulators kill it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Correct. If we look back at how this was done with ABK, Phil Spencer and Bobby Kotick had private conversations about an acquisition. Phil Spencer brought the potential deal to Satya Nadella. There were continued discussions until an agreement was made. At that point, an announcement was made and Bobby Kotick brought the deal to stockholders who then had to vote on which to accept the deal.

January 2022 Deal announced:

April 2022 Stockholders approve:

Having said that, I don't believe for a second that there is a deal in the works. In the unlikely event that it is then I hope regulators kill it.
Maybe not this one, but at least one publisher acquisition by Sony is certainly coming sooner or later.

Remember, Sony still hasn't responded to Bethesda yet. It's still 0-1 for Sony.

And if regulators had no problem with approving Zenimax (or even ABK as far as console SLC goes), why would a regulator kill Sony/CDPR, especially when Sony has been locked out of WRPGs because Microsoft acquired almost all WRPG studios: Bethesda, Obsidian, InXile, etc.

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe not this one, but at least one publisher acquisition by Sony is certainly coming sooner or later.

Remember, Sony still hasn't responded to Bethesda yet. It's still 0-1 for Sony.

And if regulators had no problem with approving Zenimax (or even ABK as far as console SLC goes), why would a regulator kill Sony/CDPR, especially when Sony has been locked out of WRPGs because Microsoft acquired almost all WRPG studios: Bethesda, Obsidian, InXile, etc.

Because Sony is in a much stronger position in the console industry than Microsoft. To me, that is definitely a significant lessening of competition.

Sony should go after smaller devs rather than buying publishers. Consolidation at that level isn't good for the industry. It just means more games being available to fewer gamers in the long run.

Last edited:
Because Sony is in a much stronger position in the console industry than Microsoft. To me, that is definitely a significant lessening of competition.

Sony should go after smaller devs rather than buying publishers. Consolidation at that level isn't good for the industry. It just means more games being available to fewer gamers in the long run.
The fact that xbox parent company Microsoft is a trillion dollar company and now willing to go after publishers nullifies a big advantage of this.

Topher

Gold Member
The fact that xbox parent company Microsoft is a trillion dollar company and now willing to go after publishers nullifies a big advantage of this.

I don't think that's how regulators are going to look at it. I think they will see an entrenched market leader in Sony buying a publisher that will increase the divide between PlayStation and Xbox.

Lunarorbit

Unfortunately that's not how businesses work... It would be GREAT if that is how it did tho. Microsoft is trying to acquire ActiBliz for $70 Billion, they also plan on laying off a total of 10,000 employees. That kind of stuff happens all the time too, you'll see reports of employees being laid off while a CEO/President is set to get a big fat bonus that year...
Just as a counter point, the billions that Sony spent on Bungie went mostly to retaining the staff.

hinch7

After ABK, whatever the final outcome.. I highly doubt that.

This rumor is lul-worthy. Most of these big leaks don't come out like this.

Top Bottom