• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Sony intends to acquire CD Projekt Red and Days Gone 2 in development

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Basically cyberpunk 2 ps5 exclusive can’t wait for that days gone 2 in the works
Wont He Do It Thank God GIF by Bounce

Gorgon

If true, this would be more for Sony having an PC store/launcher. I would not be surprised if they kept CD multiplatform like Bungie.

Why would they keep CDP's games multiplat (PC exluded)? Is MS going to put Starfield, Fallout 5, Elder Scrolls 6, Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2, etc, on the PS? Great if they did and Sony returned the favour, but I highly doubt that's the case.

But then again, this aqquisition rumour is bull, so it's a mute point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why would they keep CDP's games multiplat (PC exluded)? Is MS going to put Starfield, Fallout 5, Elder Scrolls 6, Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2, etc, on the PS? Great if they did and Sony returned the favour, but I highly doubt that's the case.

But then again, this aqquisition rumour is bull, so it's a mute point.
Money. Just like with Bungie.

Yes, we know MS is wiling to sacrifice revenue/profits to hurt competition since they have more of daddy's money to burn.

Gorgon

Money. Just like with Bungie.

Yes, we know MS is wiling to sacrifice revenue/profits to hurt competition since they have more of daddy's money to burn.

Yes, but it could come back to bite them in the ass. Western RPGs are a huge part of the western videogame market. If you put the little you have on the competition's console while the competition doesn't, it will help the competition move hardware. The WRPG market is no joke.

EDMIX

lol I believe a Days Gone 2 will exist at some point, simply not going to be Sony Bends next game. To my understanding, they didn't green light what was the proposed Days Gone 2, as in...the idea at the time and instead went with a new IP, it would be like Insomniac picking between a Ratchet game and the first Resistance, they might opt to try something new and return to the IP later if and when they have better ideas.

As for CDPR....I don't know about all that. I don't know if they are worth the price based on how bad that management is, the would need to literally fucking gut that management, increase the team size to actually pull off a fucking working game and even then, for 2 IP, I just don't now if the are worth the price Sony might pay.

Square, Capcom, Sega, all better deals imho for long term gains, but i do get why it might make some sense to acquire them. Square, Capcom and Sega games all generally already sell better on PS....they already have the majority of that install base anyway, where as the western RPG thing might be something they want in their wheel house as something they own. Maybe this isn't even about Witcher or Cyberpunk IP, maybe this is about GOG, for all we know the bigger picture is for Sony to gain that market on PC or something.

EDMIX

All these companies people keep expecting to be bought, but never are, have one thing in common. Throw Konami and FromSoft in there too.

It's not happening.

Until they do lol

After Bungie, Zenimax, Activision..... I don't think anything is off the table in regards to if it can happen. I use to think that, but I doubted all this other shit was going to happen too, yet here we are.

Killer8

The reason I know Days Gone 2 isn't happening is because the directors are still bitching on Twitter this month about how it never happened.

Raonak

Banned
I swear days gone is a meme at this point.

The game was good, but the setting for the game was beyond generic, i'd hope they'd use hoard/lighting/openworld tech used in DG to make a new IP.

That said, the ending was fantastic.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The only acquisition "rumors" that turn out to be true happen perhaps an hour or two before the official announcement.

This is another Sega on Wednesday.

Noxxera

Yeah I wanna see anyone defending the purchase of CD and being against Microsoft buying Blizz/Activision. If there exist such a person on here you're a massive hypocrite shite

Mozzarella

I hope not, this would ruin GoG and i love GoG so i hope nothing like that ever gets done.

As for Days Gone, idgaf do 10 sequels lol.

-Zelda-

Banned
I'd be fine with them buying CDPR. I really want to know more about the Witcher 1 remake and also Witcher 4.
Hopefully they would make a Witcher 2 remake as well since I never got to play the first two. Ciri being MC of 4 would be cool.

Curious about the future of Cyberpunk as well. Still waiting for new game plus and a physical complete PS5 disk version.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Let me guess; the crowd that’s against Microsoft acquiring ABK is giddy over Sony buying CDPR.

Fuck that. Go after some indie developer, and mold them into something like your fans claim you do. Not an established PC developer with a PC storefront that Sony will run into the ground.

EDMIX

Normally I agree with you but certain people I game with said this CDPR acquisition almost happened a year ago so I believe this is only a matter of time

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not doubting they were in talks, I'm not doubting that Sony didn't approach them, merely that the idea of it being only "a matter of time" is a unknown.

It means you can be correct on all of this, other then the actual outcome. Sony can talk to CDPR, CDPR can then start announcing all of theses fucking projects to raise their value as I believe that is correct, but that doesn't mean any of us know what Sony will do or what CDPR will do.

Sony might feel better buying another publisher and move on. It doesn't mean you were wrong, merely that we can't predict how either party will react, simply that they were in talks or something.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Why not?

Just curious why you think they won't be a potenial acquisition for the PlayStation brand.

Pretty impressive how one showcase can turn people around, but in reality...nothing will change. On the other hand, their competitor is a disaster for a whole decade and their showcase is their winning option???

The Alien

Banned
Id be surprised. Shocked TBH.

Days Gone 2 is unlikely as A) didn't sell well compared to what Sony expects B) doesn't seem to fit in direction Sony is going

As for CDPR; A) Aren't they valued at $10B+? Seems high for a studio that doesn't make the games Sony is heading towards (Gaas). B) Thought CDPR had pretty good relationship with MS and was interested in keeping PC focus. So their value wouldn't be for exclusive content - especially since Cyberpunk and Wotcher are essentially licensed games yo an extent.

I dunno. Id be surprised. Doesn't seem like a good fit. It's a really big move with little upside.

Arsic

Gold Member
This just in : Bloodborne PC remaster will also be shown at summer game fest .

Also shown at game awards.

And next Sony showcase.

I can see them doing this to get more of a PC install base. They'd not only get access to incredible developers at CDPR but they'd also get amazing PC-centric IPs like The Witcher and CP2077 as well as an established store front like GOG.

I don't see them locking out the Xbox platform though since CDPR's games are also popular on Xbox.

A huge W for them if this rumor is true.

About Days Gone 2: Doubt

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Days Gone 2 was always just a matter of time considering how much Sony loves it. They’ve promoted it numerous times in their financial reports, they’ve directly called it one of the best games of last gen, and have green lit a movie about it. Bend might have said no initially but Sony will still find ways to get it done. John Garvin also confirmed the sequels were already written before he left.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not doubting they were in talks, I'm not doubting that Sony didn't approach them, merely that the idea of it being only "a matter of time" is a unknown.

It means you can be correct on all of this, other then the actual outcome. Sony can talk to CDPR, CDPR can then start announcing all of theses fucking projects to raise their value as I believe that is correct, but that doesn't mean any of us know what Sony will do or what CDPR will do.

Sony might feel better buying another publisher and move on. It doesn't mean you were wrong, merely that we can't predict how either party will react, simply that they were in talks or something.
Its why I added the I believe part as in I could see this happening since I know those talks had happened

I need to stop giving info though as it does seem to bother some people

skit_data

Would be a good fit for sure, WRPG+FPS are both areas that Playstation lacks (at least now, it's possible all their recently revealed multiplayer games will be FPS but I highly doubt it). I'm very skeptical towards these rumors though, the whole CP2077 release probably left both parties on the wrong foot with each other to some extent. But you never know, after Bungie it feels like a pretty logical step.

AmuroChan

Id be surprised. Shocked TBH.

Days Gone 2 is unlikely as A) didn't sell well compared to what Sony expects B) doesn't seem to fit in direction Sony is going

As for CDPR; A) Aren't they valued at $10B+? Seems high for a studio that doesn't make the games Sony is heading towards (Gaas). B) Thought CDPR had pretty good relationship with MS and was interested in keeping PC focus. So their value wouldn't be for exclusive content - especially since Cyberpunk and Wotcher are essentially licensed games yo an extent.

I dunno. Id be surprised. Doesn't seem like a good fit. It's a really big move with little upside.

Sony isn't heading towards GaaS exclusively. They've said a million times that single-player narrative driven games are still their bread and butter. They just want to diversify their portfolio and explore other genres as well. I agree with you that Days Gone 2 seem very unlikely and the price tag for CDPR is high, but from a games standpoint CDPR makes a lot of sense. Sony has no WRPG presence in their portfolio whatsoever. CDPR is one of the few remaining AAA WRPG studios that haven't been gobbled up yet. In addition, Sony wants to expand their IPs into other media like TV, movies, animation, etc. The Witcher and Cyberpunk have already proven that those IPs are a good fit. Then there's Sony's PC initiative, another area where CDPR already have a substantial presence in.

FAKE NEWS
The production of Cyberpunk 2077 started in May 2016...

FAKE NEWS
Where did you get info on the company being owned by Poland? Lol, CD Projekt is a public company. The government doesnt own it... Does Biden's administration own Take Two?
Found the where this "perception" may have come from. In 2016 CD Project Red received a 116M Zolty fund from Poland's National Center for Research of Development.

but also... FAKE NEWS

Last edited:
Top Bottom