• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor & Speculation: Kojima + Sony + Konami = Silent Hills on PS5

kyliethicc

Intro

So the youtube channel "Moore's Law is Dead" has a podcast, and in the most recent episode, the guy says he has been told by 2 sources that Kojima Productions and Sony have partnered with Konami to finally make - yup, obviously - Silent Hills.

I can begin to take this guy seriously because this summer he also said he was told by a source that God of War 2 would be teased at the September PS5 show and come out in 2021. This turned out to be true, so he may actually have someone leaking him legit info.

Listen for yourselves, he teases Silent Hills on PS5 being made by Kojima and that Bluepoint is remaking Metal Gear Solid for PS5 as well, both Konami IPs.

Time stamp for Silent Hills + MGS rumor is 1 hour 48 mins into podcast (1:47:55.)

so..

Could it be true? Kojima + Konami? Silent Hills on PS5? Really? Yes, I think so.

Lets look at Kojima Productions, Sony, Konami, and also Bluepoint Games.

Part 1

First, there was this back in April this year. A Japanese horror manga artist shared a picture with "Silent Hills" printed on something, and then 1 hour later, a second pic of the sign outside Konami's building in Tokyo. His caption on the Silent Hills picture hinted it was his printed invitation to a meeting at Konami. Makes sense to commission an artist who works in the horror genre for such a game.

42TsK1q.jpg

So clearly Konami are working on something called Silent Hills.

But this has nothing to do with Kojima and he ended on very bad terms with Konami. So is this just a sign that Konami are going to make a Silent Hills game WITHOUT Hideo Kojima?

I don't think so. Cause Kojima is also talking with horror manga artists. Coincidence?

Part 2

Kojima Productions are working on something new, and it seems clear its a horror game.

Kojima was teasing in 2019 that he was rewatching a horror film that he began watching when making P.T. aka Silent Hills.

And before covid shut everything down back in February, Kojima Prods was teasing something would be revealed soon. Perhaps covid delayed the game's reveal as they had to shutdown temporarily, etc.

We know Kojima Prods have confirmed just recently in October they are hiring for a new game in development and are expanding.

https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/status/1319201597117718528?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1319201597117718528|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://www.shacknews.com/article/121088/kojima-productions-next-game-is-in-development

They have shared tweets of an orchestra working on some new music for something as well.

https://www.gamesradar.com/kojima-productions-composer-recording-for-unannounced-project/

Continued below...

kyliethicc

Part 3

Then there's Konami's tweets.. several, teasing something.

Why did Konami make a new twitter account for Silent Hill just now in July 2020?

mktLdWv.jpg

CN1jdFn.jpg

Why is Konami particularly excited about the PS5? Geoff Keighly seemed interested in this interaction. Could we see a Game Awards reveal?

EPKiwcS.jpg

kjQpUgA.jpg

Maybe we will finally see whats up at The Game Awards.

Seems kinda obvious Konami have partnered with Sony for a PS5 game.. or maybe several. About that..

Part 4

Leading some credibility to this rumor is Bluepoint games being alleged to be remaking Metal Gear Solid. Konami controls that game. If Sony is having Bluepoint remake MGS, they clearly have a deal with Konami for their gaming IPs, which include Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Notice Bluepoint has been teasing multiple remakes for a while?

"Not one, but two - return".. "A symphony of rumors." "a metal Halloween."

Is Bluepoint just trolling us at this point? That tweet was from 2019. But this month?

ZBeWLCD.jpg

grFLjbh.jpg

And as some has noticed, there is a Metal Gear Solid easter egg being teased inside the nexus in Bluepoint's new Demon's Souls remake on PS5.

"While near the hidden door in Demon's Souls, Twitter user @jd_jurado has experienced a mysterious noise in his game that has proved familiar to Metal Gear fans (including Reddit user Halit-Tumenci) as it seems to be extremely similar to a sound from the Liquid Snake boss fight at the end of the original title."

I know this is about Bluepoint and MGS, not Kojima & Silent Hills. But this rumor is about both and so if one is true, both are true. And so we can see there is some evidence that this whole thing could be true.

Conclusion

So finally, lets speculate.

Sony very well have made a deal with Konami to license their various gaming IPs. Makes perfect sense for all parties.

For Sony, they can let Kojima make his Silent Hills game, and Sony gets a PS5 (console) exclusive. Sony gets the MGS license, gives that to Bluepoint to remake because clearly Sony trust Bluepoint with big remakes. Japan Studio helping on one or both of these as well. (Some current Japan Studio devs did work on the old Silent Hill games too.)

Kojima's happy to avoid having to work directly with Konami, but gets to make his game, and gives Bluepoint his blessing on the MGS remake since they already ported MGS before and have shown to be trustworthy with their respectful remakes.

Konami likes money. Sony has shown with Spider-man they can be trusted to take IPs and make successful games, so Konami could trust Sony and do just as Marvel does - make bank via license but let Sony do the work.

Sony could be funding and publishing the game, simply licensing the IP. Sony take the financial risk and promise Konami a cut of the profits, which I could see a greedy corp like Konami being interested in, despite how little they seem to care about games.

This might be what's necessarily for Kojima to be interested. He may not want to work with Konami directly (understandable) but only if Sony control the game. Who knows. Maybe Konami changed their minds (or Sony made them with lots of cash.)

Or Konami could be the publisher and Sony could have just secured it as a PS5 exclusive, leaving control of the game in Konami's hands. Either way, I suspect Sony will just make sure its not playable on Xbox. I could definitely see it coming to PC just like Death Stranding did, like 6-12 months later.

Yoboman

I really don't think there is much there

People want Silent Hills so connect anything towards it

And somehow MGS is being looped in because we know Bluepoint are making two games

Reality IMO will be that Kojima is making a horror game but its a new IP

Bluepoint are making a second game but its Bloodborne remade, which makes more sense as the "not one but two return"

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seems plausible enough to me. Here's the thing, we know what studios Sony has and who's affiliated with them. It wouldn't be a shock for them to cut a deal with Konami because basically its free money for them. MG:Survive fell on its ass, Silent Hill has been idle for the best part of a decade, and they've shown zero interest in doing anything for this new console generation thus far.

Most importantly, if you look at what Konami has been doing as a company its obvious they only care about their domestic market. Looking at the first week sales of PS5 and Series X/S in Japan its not exactly encouraging; if Sony wants to take their IP's and push them to a global audience, why would they say no? They stand to reap their share of the rewards while Sony takes on all the risk. Provided they can hammer out a sub-licensing deal that is agreeable to both parties its a no brainer.

Above all else though, if you were running Playstation these are the sort of deals that make sense to make. Demon's Souls being a major launch title shows very clearly that they are looking to the past for future success and inspiration. Its not the sort of title that's going to do Spiderman or God Of War numbers, but it carries a solid amount of mindshare especially with core gamers and long-time Playstation fans.

Silent Hill, is as a pitch, basically the exact same deal. MGS is similar, a more expensive property to sub-license but given they have a team in place with sufficient repute to do such a historic title justice, and Konami having already allowed an enhanced single-platform port with Twin Snakes, it seems like an easy-ish deal to make. Especially if Sony make encouraging noises about revisiting other old Konami properties down the line if these prove successful...

The only issue clouding this is Kojima's departure and the prospect of his involvement. But from their standpoint they are the ones who booted him, so I can't see that getting in the way of making money. At the end of the day you know that any Silent Hill or Metal Gear project is going to have a Konami logo front and center, so why should they care if a "problem" former creative is in the mix? If Kojima ends up wasting loads of Sony's money that's not their concern!

I'm nobody

Instead of buying companies buy unused ips

Loads of people want soul Reaver back
Getaway
Warhawk
Resistance fall of man
Scarface reboot
The thing remake
Dead space
Mgs
Parasite Eve (need)
Mag reboot
Wipeout ps game with raytracing
Infamous
Socom
Bully
Manhunt
And loads of jab games I can't spell

hemo memo

Gold Member
If you are expecting anything but Pachinko Silent Hill from Konami then you deserve to suffer the disappointment.

Concern

Now you guys say it was MLID who leaked GoW 2 teaser? It was rgt just a couple of weeks ago lol.

These guys subs must've really taken off thanks to you guys 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️.

I'll just wait for something official since we've been hearing about this shit since before the Sony event in june iirc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Gotta be honest, I still feel like a Toriyama-led SH reboot out of Japan Studio seems far more likely than Kojima having direct involvement. Maybe they'll use Kojima's treatment as a basis but the timing seems wrong for him to be leading the project.

On the other hand I can very much see a Kojima horror project getting side-lined if a SH reboot was already in production. Which may in turn line-up with Kojima's unexpected change of plans not so long ago.

One of the things Shu Yoshida was known for during his tenure as head of WWS was his penchant for ruthlessly cancelling projects that were too similar to other more advanced titles. Remember Studio London's Eight Days back in the PS3 era? Ever wonder what happened to that project? Short answer is Uncharted happened.

FunkMiller

Looking at Konami’s track record and general piss poor attitude, I’d have to say that this is sadly a rumour that will once again turn out to be false.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Interesting about Mark Cerny and MGS. It makes sense that he would be involved in a PS5 game similar to developing a PS4 game while creating that console. But to be involved in MGS 🔥

KOMANI

KOMANI
Intro

So the youtube channel "Moore's Law is Dead" has a podcast, and in the most recent episode, the guy says he has been told by 2 sources that Kojima Productions and Sony have partnered with Konami to finally make - yup, obviously - Silent Hills.

I can begin to take this guy seriously because this summer he also said he was told by a source that God of War 2 would be teased at the September PS5 show and come out in 2021. This turned out to be true, so he may actually have someone leaking him legit info.

Listen for yourselves, he teases Silent Hills on PS5 being made by Kojima and that Bluepoint is remaking Metal Gear Solid for PS5 as well, both Konami IPs.

Time stamp for Silent Hills + MGS rumor is 1 hour 48 mins into podcast (1:47:55.)

so..

Could it be true? Kojima + Konami? Silent Hills on PS5? Really? Yes, I think so.

Lets look at Kojima Productions, Sony, Konami, and also Bluepoint Games.

Part 1

First, there was this back in April this year. A Japanese horror manga artist shared a picture with "Silent Hills" printed on something, and then 1 hour later, a second pic of the sign outside Konami's building in Tokyo. His caption on the Silent Hills picture hinted it was his printed invitation to a meeting at Konami. Makes sense to commission an artist who works in the horror genre for such a game.

42TsK1q.jpg

So clearly Konami are working on something called Silent Hills.

But this has nothing to do with Kojima and he ended on very bad terms with Konami. So is this just a sign that Konami are going to make a Silent Hills game WITHOUT Hideo Kojima?

I don't think so. Cause Kojima is also talking with horror manga artists. Coincidence?

Part 2

Kojima Productions are working on something new, and it seems clear its a horror game.

Kojima was teasing in 2019 that he was rewatching a horror film that he began watching when making P.T. aka Silent Hills.

And before covid shut everything down back in February, Kojima Prods was teasing something would be revealed soon. Perhaps covid delayed the game's reveal as they had to shutdown temporarily, etc.

We know Kojima Prods have confirmed just recently in October they are hiring for a new game in development and are expanding.

https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/status/1319201597117718528?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1319201597117718528|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://www.shacknews.com/article/121088/kojima-productions-next-game-is-in-development

They have shared tweets of an orchestra working on some new music for something as well.

https://www.gamesradar.com/kojima-productions-composer-recording-for-unannounced-project/

Continued below...

the stuff with manga creator, Suehiro Maruo, turned out to be a fake account.

kyliethicc

"Moore's Law is Dead" doesn’t know anything at all, he is just a fake insider.
He knew God of War 2 would be revealed at the September PS5 show and be dated for 2021. Thats a fairly specific thing to say would happen and be correct.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Now you guys say it was MLID who leaked GoW 2 teaser? It was rgt just a couple of weeks ago lol.

These guys subs must've really taken off thanks to you guys 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️.

I'll just wait for something official since we've been hearing about this shit since before the Sony event in june iirc.
He specifically did say the GoW2 trailer would be shown in his podcast before the Sept PS5 show, and implies he actually told RGT about it and "has the DMs to prove it."

He could be a liar but who knows. Clearly 1 or 2 of these youtubers are getting legit info leaked to them.

sublimit

Banned
Meh if true. I don't want Kojima anywhere near Silent Hill.

I prefer the first rumors that said Sony Japan and Keiichiro Toyama were supposedly working on the project (although i'd prefer a new Siren game or a new IP from Toyama).

But in any case as i said before i will believe it when i see it.

kyliethicc

Seems plausible enough to me. Here's the thing, we know what studios Sony has and who's affiliated with them. It wouldn't be a shock for them to cut a deal with Konami because basically its free money for them. MG:Survive fell on its ass, Silent Hill has been idle for the best part of a decade, and they've shown zero interest in doing anything for this new console generation thus far.

Most importantly, if you look at what Konami has been doing as a company its obvious they only care about their domestic market. Looking at the first week sales of PS5 and Series X/S in Japan its not exactly encouraging; if Sony wants to take their IP's and push them to a global audience, why would they say no? They stand to reap their share of the rewards while Sony takes on all the risk. Provided they can hammer out a sub-licensing deal that is agreeable to both parties its a no brainer.

Above all else though, if you were running Playstation these are the sort of deals that make sense to make. Demon's Souls being a major launch title shows very clearly that they are looking to the past for future success and inspiration. Its not the sort of title that's going to do Spiderman or God Of War numbers, but it carries a solid amount of mindshare especially with core gamers and long-time Playstation fans.

Silent Hill, is as a pitch, basically the exact same deal. MGS is similar, a more expensive property to sub-license but given they have a team in place with sufficient repute to do such a historic title justice, and Konami having already allowed an enhanced single-platform port with Twin Snakes, it seems like an easy-ish deal to make. Especially if Sony make encouraging noises about revisiting other old Konami properties down the line if these prove successful...

The only issue clouding this is Kojima's departure and the prospect of his involvement. But from their standpoint they are the ones who booted him, so I can't see that getting in the way of making money. At the end of the day you know that any Silent Hill or Metal Gear project is going to have a Konami logo front and center, so why should they care if a "problem" former creative is in the mix? If Kojima ends up wasting loads of Sony's money that's not their concern!
Yeah I agree, I could see Konami being like Marvel in the PS4 Spider-man game.

Sony makes the game and funds it, publishes it, markets it, etc. The devs work with Sony primarily not Konami (or Marvel.) But just like how "Marvel's Spider-man" is plastered with Marvel logos, these games will have plenty of Konami logos on them.

I just kinda doubt Kojima would be willing to work on a game with Konami again. But if for him its just another game with Sony (that happens to be licensed IP from Konami) I could see him doing it.

mejin

I actually would like to see gravity team and Toyama take on SH. Kojima could always go with a new ip.

And a remake of MGS from Bluepoint would be nuts.

SCB3

What if its a remake of Silent Hill?

Also that MGS rumor has been going for years, even predating the SotC remake, although cool, I don't know if I want a remake of MGS after the Twin Snakes or the fact the Music won't be part of it

Caio

Ok, this is my list :

1) Silent Hills exclusive to PS5 so that it can take full advantage of it. No XSS or similar crap involved in the development cycle.

2) BluePoint Remake of MGS2 and MGS4.

It's enough for now :D

DonJimbo

Ok, this is my list :

1) Silent Hills exclusive to PS5 so that it can take full advantage of it. No XSS or similar crap involved in the development cycle.

2) BluePoint Remake of MGS2 and MGS4.

It's enough for now :D
You forgot to mention XSX

Top Bottom