• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us Part 3 is in development at Naughty Dog for PS5 with the PS6 in mind

yurinka

It's difficult to go back through every statement on google, but I'm not sure he actually said that. The way he speaks is by picking his words extremely carefully so that he's not technically saying with 100% commitment what you think he's saying. I don't think he ever said definitively what they're working on. I remember him saying something like, don't believe all rumors most aren't true (which basically confirms that some of them are true). It's always some vague half statement from him.
Yes, he said that in different interview or podcasts.

In one he said they weren't working on TLOU3 but that he wrote a first draft of the main story just in case they decide to develop it somewhere in the future.

In other cases he said they weren't working on TLOU3 but that instead they were working on the TLOU Online game.

In other case said Sony doesn't force them to make sequels and so they'll develop TLOU3 only if ND wants to do so. ND is free to decide the projects they work on.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes, he said that in different interview or podcasts.

In one he said they weren't working on TLOU3 but that he wrote a first draft of the main story just in case they decide to develop it somewhere in the future.

In other cases he said they weren't working on TLOU3 but that instead they were working on the TLOU Online game.

In other case said Sony doesn't force them to make sequels and so they'll develop TLOU3 only if ND wants to do so. ND is free to decide the projects they work on.
I don't expect you to do the work on it, but as I was trying to explain I'd want to literally read a word for word quote because I think he chooses his words more carefully than you think.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I don't expect you to do the work on it, but as I was trying to explain I'd want to literally read a word for word quote because I think he chooses his words more carefully than you think.
Here's a link to a reported interview (with quotes) of Neil Druckman on Buzzfeed, especially read the n°18 vignette :

"We've been pretty open that the next Last of Us game is going to be this multiplayer experience, where you'll be able to enter the world of The Last of Us with your friend and get to experience the tension and the brutality of that world — and a brand new story and cast of characters that live in another city that we haven't seen yet in the world of The Last of Us. This is going to be another chapter in the universe of The Last of Us.

"Beyond that, I know there's a bunch of people wondering about The Last of Us Part 3 and whether that will be a thing or not. All I could say is, at Naughty Dog we're very, very privileged that our publisher is Sony — which means Sony funds our games, supports us, and we're owned by Sony. They have supported us every step of the way to follow our passions — meaning that just because something is successful, people think there's all this pressure and we have to make a sequel. That's not the case. For us, Uncharted was insanely successful — Uncharted 4 was one of our best selling games — and we're able to put our final brushstroke on that story and say that we're done. We're moving on.

"Likewise, with The Last of Us, it's up to us whether we want to continue it or not. Our process is the same thing we did when we did Part 2, which is if we can come up with a compelling story that has this universal message and statement about love — just like the first and second game did — then we will tell that story. If we can't come up with something, we have a very strong ending with Part 2 and that will be the end."

Beyond TLOU3 possibility I'm thrilled by what he said about "Faction 2" : brand new story, new set of characters, a new city never seen before. and a whole new chapter. It's a big project, not just a MP standalone.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Here's a link to a reported interview (with quotes) of Neil Druckman on Buzzfeed, especially read the n°18 vignette :

"We've been pretty open that the next Last of Us game is going to be this multiplayer experience, where you'll be able to enter the world of The Last of Us with your friend and get to experience the tension and the brutality of that world — and a brand new story and cast of characters that live in another city that we haven't seen yet in the world of The Last of Us. This is going to be another chapter in the universe of The Last of Us.

"Beyond that, I know there's a bunch of people wondering about The Last of Us Part 3 and whether that will be a thing or not. All I could say is, at Naughty Dog we're very, very privileged that our publisher is Sony — which means Sony funds our games, supports us, and we're owned by Sony. They have supported us every step of the way to follow our passions — meaning that just because something is successful, people think there's all this pressure and we have to make a sequel. That's not the case. For us, Uncharted was insanely successful — Uncharted 4 was one of our best selling games — and we're able to put our final brushstroke on that story and say that we're done. We're moving on.

"Likewise, with The Last of Us, it's up to us whether we want to continue it or not. Our process is the same thing we did when we did Part 2, which is if we can come up with a compelling story that has this universal message and statement about love — just like the first and second game did — then we will tell that story. If we can't come up with something, we have a very strong ending with Part 2 and that will be the end."

Beyond TLOU3 possibility I'm thrilled by what he said about "Faction 2" : brand new story, new set of characters, a new city never seen before. and a whole new chapter. It's a big project, not just a MP standalone.
Definitely never says no then. At least in these quotes. Thanks for that.

Kerotan

Day 1 guys!
Also season 3 tv show, oh my...
Probably be season 4 by then. They could do a second season which is a prequel covering the 20 years gap or maybe that will be a separate side Series in itself.

I have a feeling part 2 of the game will be split into 2 seasons for the show.

Top Bottom