• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us Part 3 is in development at Naughty Dog for PS5 with the PS6 in mind

TomFoolery1

Neo Member
I assume Season 2 will be out in 2024. Season 3 possibly 2025. No way can they develop the game and have it out by 2024/2025 in time for them to start production on season 3.

Maybe if Naughty Dog let HBO get an idea of the plot but then would they want the show to air first before the game came out?

I can't see Part 3 releasing any sooner than 2027. 2026 maybe if they have secretly already been working on it the last year or so.

just like game of thrones theyll just deviate from the video game story when the source material runs out and make their own ending. They might even deviate sooner, i can see them going down a whole different path where joel sticks around. People werent too fond of the 2nd games story , they might scrap it completely. Theyve already deviated with the Bill + Frank episode a storyline which wasnt explained that in depth in the game.

So what’s happen to the tv show, surly they won’t spoil the 3rd game years before it’s comes out, me thinks they will on their own direction after season 2, can’t see any other option

chinoXL

just like game of thrones theyll just deviate from the video game story when the source material runs out and make their own ending. They might even deviate sooner, i can see them going down a whole different path where joel sticks around. People werent too fond of the 2nd games story , they might scrap it completely. Theyve already deviated with the Bill + Frank episode a storyline which wasnt explained that in depth in the game.
the difference between thrones and the last of us is that I'm sure Neil is going to stay on board as executive producer for the length of the show as opposed to thrones, where the producers did their own thing with the last season. i dunno how they're gonna do season 2, i personally liked the story but definitely sucked to see Joel take the L. will be very interesting how they do it

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Utter creamy fucking BS!!!!

The games were successful enough on their own merit to warrant a third game, and the budget is however much it costs to develop the game, plus whatever reasonable amount Sony typically spends on marketing.

The success of the show will have no bearing on the game development budget because that's simply the cost per dev x number of devs x years of dev time. It could impact the marketing budget, but the show's success would give Sony a reason to spend less on marketing since the show is in itself a HUGE marketing campaign for the IP and thus games as a whole.

If these fucking goons are going to completely fabricate a rumour, they should at least try not to be so dense as to make it sound so obviously fake.
Agreed. The show has nothing to do with the video game's budget. Least of all the very successful franchise from ND of all studios.

Fishels

My favorite part of this is the fact that development cycles have gotten so long a game in development now is already being made with eyes towards a console not even close to being in market several years down the line.
Not only is it comical but it’s also rather sad. It means waiting 15 years to see a story wrapped up in most cases. Humans dont live long relative to how long games take now. Not that 70 years is long anyway

Imagine how many GTA fans have died since GTA 5‘s initial release day. Never to experience GTA6. Hell if I don’t watch my diet I may not make to 7.

Fishels

The success of the show shit they heard makes it sound like obvious bs but is still, if true that it's really the next game after factions 2
disappointed-zac-efron.gif
I’m a diehard fan of part 2 and I agree. It’s perfectly fine to do another IP for now ND. We’ve gone a whole gen without one. TLOU3 will come along in 6-7 years just like the wait for part 2

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I bet it hops between past and present, so they can keep Pedro Pascal on and win back old fans of Joel.
Joel will have an impact on a new character in the present day cast.
We will see someone do a kickflip.

Predictions fin.

Last edited:
I’m up for part III but I mean what other stories can they tell?

part II could’ve only happened if one of the two died, otherwise it doesn’t warrant a story.

HL3.exe

If true, including the ps6 take: I f'ing hate current AAA development. No fault of the developers perse. Just the unsustainable length development time is today so the visual bar is at a level so gamer dipshits don't whine online.

I wish fidelity just peaked last gen, stayed there, and just focus on physics, ai and reactive. Instead of every hair being independently rendered on everything NPC's (and as a result only able to render 4 NPC's in one area max)

Last edited:

Deerock71

My favorite part of this is the fact that development cycles have gotten so long a game in development now is already being made with eyes towards a console not even close to being in market several years down the line.
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I hope ND doesn’t sit out the whole PS5 generation with no new games or IPs. We had 2 games from ND during the PS4 generation(UC4 and Last of us 2), i expect 2 from them during the PS5 generation.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Was there ever any doubt? Naughty Dog is TLOU dev for at least the rest of this generation, and as long as HBO is seeing return, they'll be demanding more. I remember some rumours of Naughty Dog's B team rolling on a side project, no idea what became of that. The last time they tried dual development cycles, they rushed out Uncharted 3 and cannibalised its dev team to make The Last of Us.

... The games were successful enough on their own merit to warrant a third game, and the budget is however much it costs to develop the game, plus whatever reasonable amount Sony typically spends on marketing...
Indicators are that TLOUII underperformed. That doesn't make it a failure by any stretch, but it does mean Sony overestimated its return on investment. Basic finances mean they'd lower their next TLOU investment accordingly. With a successful TV Show now pushing the games, it stands to reason they can invest more, knowing the TV Show will sell more copies of the game, even if it too underperforms.

... The success of the show will have no bearing on the game development budget because that's simply the cost per dev x number of devs x years of dev time...
It's called staffing, and Naughty Dog can only retain staff so long as their publisher funds them appropriately. If Sony cuts the game's budget, Naughty Dog would staff down. With a game like Factions - a GaaS designed for reoccurring revenue - they'd get a lot of leeway if it was successfully bringing in the money for Papa Sony. But, Naughty Dog don't just get to operate on free money - they have to earn. So far, they've been earning just fine - but Sony doesn't sign blank cheques.

skneogaf

It's such a bad time for a story to be written for part 3, the amount of agenda driven nonsense that will be rammed down our necks will be insane.

Part 2 had some ridiculously poor decisions made story wise so God knows what stuff they could come up with to go in the opposite direction to what fans want.

hank_tree

I'm sure they are working on Part 3 and it'll come out at the tail end of the PS5 life cycle, but I really doubt the success of the show has any meaningful impact on the budget.

Last edited:
When rather than if for Part III. Zero chance it doesn't get another game at some point.

Hopefully the rumours of ND's new IP are true and we get Factions > New IP > TLOU III
Makes sense to have TLOU 3 before a new IP because of the show

Unless they can have a smaller team do anew IP in tandem

Crayon

The aaa dev cycle is depressing. But I try to remind myself games with these levels of production value and vast staffs didn't even exist before the timeline blew up to 4-7 years so we aren't really missing anything.

Mr.Phoenix

With the PS6 in mind? This is a ridiculous rumor if true. That's like saying the game is 4 years away. That has to be piss poor output on their part being they have not actually released anything this gen. Uness of course we are gonna count remake as a major release.

rofif

Banned
I hate these long dev times. It's so stupid. They don even have time to learn a console with few releases.
We had gears, mass effect ad uncharted trilogies on a single generation... and tlou.

Indicators are that TLOUII underperformed.

Proof please!

This shit should be a fucking meme at this point.

It's called staffing, and Naughty Dog can only retain staff so long as their publisher funds them appropriately. If Sony cuts the game's budget, Naughty Dog would staff down.

So let me get this straight.... ND, Sony's most popular, most awarded and overwhelmingly their most successful developer in terms of not only the TLOU franchise by also the Uncharted franchise, is going to get their game budget slashed by Sony because they made TLOU that sold fucking gangbusters and just dropped a show that is the most critically acclaimed piece of VG-inspired cross-media content ever produced...?!?!?

WTF are you smoking.... cuz it ain't weed, my dude!!!

With a game like Factions - a GaaS designed for reoccurring revenue - they'd get a lot of leeway if it was successfully bringing in the money for Papa Sony. But, Naughty Dog don't just get to operate on free money - they have to earn. So far, they've been earning just fine - but Sony doesn't sign blank cheques.

Sony also doesn't just randomly slash the budgets or headcounts of their most successful and most acclaimed dev studios either. Because that would just be fucking absurd.

ND, just like all Sony's other major first party devs, are actually growing as a studio. Not getting smaller.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Allegedly. We don't know that yet.

Nah, 1 team did Uncharted 3, the other half did The Last Of Us.

1 team did Uncharted 4, the other half did The Last Of Us 2.

Did some of you really not know that?

The team that did Uncharted 4 has been working on a new IP since that game was complete, thus why it would be the one releasing before The Last Of Us part 3.

If people don't know this btw, of course they are going to be in this assumption that a new IP is an either or thing or will come after cause they think the team is just working on 1 title and just 1 team or something.

Thats simply not the case.

Last edited:

EDMIX

If Sony cuts the game's budget, Naughty Dog would staff down.
lol where the fuck did you get this fanfiction from?

Indicators are that TLOUII underperformed.

So sir, you can see how the above link, makes it hard for me to believe most of the shit you are saying as you don't even have any facts to support this.

So.....Selling 10 million units in a year and half is underperformed? They literally sold half of what The Last Of Us 1 sold as a whole, in literally a year and a half, YEARS faster then part 1, fuck are you talking about?

Are you really telling me that they were what? suppose to sell 15 million units in a year or some odd shit like that? Where has Sony ever stated exactly what number they wanted in the first place to support this whole "underperformed"? The game is still charting and selling literally faster then part 1.

So this has been beaten like a dead horse and no metric even supports this desperate narrative.

One of the fastest selling PS titles in history, selling faster then part 1, and still charting doesn't sound like anyone is hurting for money and a game "underperformed". Give us evidence to support this shit man lol It did soooo bad they rewarded Neil with being the President of Naughty Dog, grew the staff etc?

Man the horror /s

Last edited:

ZehDon

Proof please!

This shit should be a fucking meme at this point.
TLOU1 has sold around 27 million copies. Estimates put Uncharted 4 around 20 million. TLOUP2 sits at around 10 million two years after its release. That's still a terrific achievement! However, it's been outsold by GOW:R in less than three months, which shows the kind of performance a highly anticipated sequel can go on to achieve. TLOUP2 underperformed - unless you think Sony would expect a sequel to one of the best received games of all times from their "most popular, most awarded and overwhelmingly their most successful developer" (your words) would sell 50% of its predecessor?

So let me get this straight.... ND, Sony's most popular, most awarded and overwhelmingly their most successful developer in terms of not only the TLOU franchise by also the Uncharted franchise, is going to get their game budget slashed by Sony because they made TLOU that sold fucking gangbusters and just dropped a show that is the most critically acclaimed piece of VG-inspired cross-media content ever produced...?!?!?

WTF are you smoking.... cuz it ain't weed, my dude!!!
I believe I hit a nerve. I never said Naughty Dog's budget had been cut. I simply explained why it could from Sony's perspective and what a game's budget actually means, since your post demonstrated you didn't really understand how these things worked. Instead of going 0-100 on the defense force rhetoric, maybe take a minute, read a post, and understand what the person is saying. You'll enjoy yourself more on the internet.

The game will release in the spring months for PS5 many years down the line. Winter months that same year, the PS6 will be released and TLoU Part 3 Definitive Edition will be announced as a launch window PS6 title, again at full price.

dorkimoe

Ugh. This is the worst. Rockstar is literally going to release 1 game this gen

I'm just excited that this pretty much 100% confirms that ND's next game is a new IP. I love that. Until recently, I was really worried Sony was going to just double down on sequels this generation, but they are not! Sony's 3 best studios(Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, and Insomniac) will all have brand new IP's coming in next few years(including wolverine). That's really exciting

Top Bottom