• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us Part 3 is in development at Naughty Dog for PS5 with the PS6 in mind

Gaelyon

Gold Member
So.
- The next Uncharted is in development but not by Naughty Dog (ND is done with Uncharted but Sony is not)
- Next game by ND is "Faction 2" (working title), could be out by next year
- After Faction 2 the new IP in dev for years now will be out, could be 2 years from now or more.
- Then TLOU 3 in at least 4+ years.
- Meanwhile the TV show will likely do 2 seasons with TLOU2 story, then 1-2 seasons of side stories/alt characters/world development (using Factions 2 as a base maybe) then TLOU3 adaptation (probably 2 seasons)

Doom85

then 1-2 seasons of side stories/alt characters/world development (using Factions 2 as a base maybe)

It‘s finally time to find out where Ish went!

Make It So Star Trek GIF

- Meanwhile the TV show will likely do 2 seasons with TLOU2 story, then 1-2 seasons of side stories/alt characters/world development (using Factions 2 as a base maybe) then TLOU3 adaptation (probably 2 seasons)
Most HBO shows take 1.5 years between seasons anyway. If TLOU pushed that to 2 years, season 4 wouldn't air until 2029. Part 3 could realistically be out by 2028, so I doubt they would even need side content. I highly doubt they'll use online factions material with completely new characters/setting to pad the show

FunkMiller

I'd genuinely watch watch that. It was a brilliant piece of environmental story telling.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Make It So Star Trek GIF
we need this in some filler episodes on the show

So wait another 4-5 years....damn. Basically they are going to skip the PS5 generation considering TLOU2 was a PS4 title that doesn't even have 4K support on PS5.

Last edited:
Well of course. Who thought they wouldn't 🤣 I can see it already . The last of us part 2 will take 2 seasons to complete . Season 2 will come out early 2025 and season 3 will come out late 2026 and the last of us part 3 will come out late 2027 and season 4 and 5 will be based of the last of us part 4 and release 2029 and 2030. Money talks like always

Woggleman

I wonder if they will bring any of the show concepts into the game. If you play as anybody not Ellie since she can't get infected and just stand still they should do the kiss like they did with Tess. The actors from the show should also voice some side characters.

Yeah, WestWorld took 6.5 years between S1 and S4. Following that pace, Season 4 of TLOU would not air until summer 2029. Part 3 being released in fall 2028 or winter 2029 would completely work in that timeline. I think Druckmannn has already stated they would not go beyond the games

CLW

My favorite part of this is the fact that development cycles have gotten so long a game in development now is already being made with eyes towards a console not even close to being in market several years down the line.
Hell you STILL can’t just walk into a store and pick one up but you are right games that are just starting now are going to be end of cycle early next

This Gen has been REALLY disappointing

OuterLimits

So years from now since this gen is likely to not end for 5 years at least. Supply chain shortages the first couple years and cross gen lingering far longer than expected will extend this generation.

Hell you STILL can’t just walk into a store and pick one up but you are right games that are just starting now are going to be end of cycle early next

This Gen has been REALLY disappointing
It's not too different from the PS4 Era. Games still took 4-5 years to make. I'm actually more optimistic on output this generation, especially when it comes to big Sony studios. Insomiac, Santa Monica, and Naughty Dog have all expanded to multiple development teams. As long as studios keep expanding, this should become less of a problem, even with longer development times.

Roni

Gold Member
Ellie has been successfully established as a super hero in the game's universe. They would do well to take a page from Kojima's book and move her to the sidelines for a few games. Have her as a supporting character or just move away from her for a while.

Woggleman

Dual timeline game where you play as joel and tommy in the past and ellie and tommy in the future.
I fully support TLOU2 and am a big fan but I am not against a prequel with Joel, Tommy, Tess and the rest of the group he ran with. The only issue is finding somebody to voice Tess who could do her justice.

TLOU1 has sold around 27 million copies.

Where is your evidence of this?

Estimates put Uncharted 4 around 20 million. TLOUP2 sits at around 10 million two years after its release. That's still a terrific achievement! However, it's been outsold by GOW:R in less than three months, which shows the kind of performance a highly anticipated sequel can go on to achieve. TLOUP2 underperformed - unless you think Sony would expect a sequel to one of the best received games of all times from their "most popular, most awarded and overwhelmingly their most successful developer" (your words) would sell 50% of its predecessor?

Ok, so in your mind, selling even 10m while a terrific achievement is under performance... loooool.

You sound confused.

I believe I hit a nerve. I never said Naughty Dog's budget had been cut. I simply explained why it could from Sony's perspective and what a game's budget actually means, since your post demonstrated you didn't really understand how these things worked.

Lol. I know exactly how these things work. More than you, evidently. Since you seem to think that there is any credibility to a rumor that Sony would cut the headcount of one of their most successful studios, if not the single most successful.

Sorry, mate but you're utterly nuts for even suggesting something so inane, while pretending you know more about how first-party studios are managed despite your suggestion defying all common sense.

Instead of going 0-100 on the defense force rhetoric, maybe take a minute, read a post, and understand what the person is saying. You'll enjoy yourself more on the internet.

I understand what you're saying. It's just worthless hypotheticals that are completely divorced from reality. Maybe you should take your own advice and put down the blunt. It's not helping your critical thinking.... like at all.

Woggleman

What if the ending is Ellie finding out they already tried it on another immune person and it didn't work so she stumbles on a community of immune people who accept and that is the happy ending. There is no vaccine but more and more people are being born with immunity and that is the future. These are the people who will inherit the world and rebuild.

Thaedolus

If ND can keep pumping out quality TLOU content I’m cool with that forever…don’t give a shit about Uncharted.

There’s a lot more to explore in that universe.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I'd like a Naughty Dog game built with PS5 "in mind". PS5's FOURTH Holiday season is on its way already.

I sure do miss a lot about how consoles used to be.

Salz01

So.
- The next Uncharted is in development but not by Naughty Dog (ND is done with Uncharted but Sony is not)
- Next game by ND is "Faction 2" (working title), could be out by next year
- After Faction 2 the new IP in dev for years now will be out, could be 2 years from now or more.
- Then TLOU 3 in at least 4+ years.
I very much hope this is all true.

ZehDon

Where is your evidence of this?
Naughty Dog. 37 million franchise sales, less the 10 million TLOUII confirmed, gives you 27 million copies for TLOU1 across PS3, PS4, and PS5.

Ok, so in your mind, selling even 10m while a terrific achievement is under performance... loooool.
Yes. That's how "performance" works. If the game was expected to sell 75% of its predecessor, than it underperformed if it sold anything less than that figure.

Lol. I know exactly how these things work. More than you, evidently...
Quite the opposite. You clearly have no idea how game budgets are achieved, how staffing works in the publisher model, or how success is measured.

Sorry, mate but you're utterly nuts for even suggesting something so inane, while pretending you know more about how first-party studios are managed despite your suggestion defying all common sense...
You can save your laughable attempt as gaslighting for topics you know something about. If this embarrassment is the best response you have, why did you bother replying?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah its really not sustainable. Will the bubble pop or will AI save the day?

How unsustainable with they make so much profit back? I mean that's the reason of having several studios and several games. It's not like Sony isn't showing up with top quality bangers every year.

It's not sustainable for shit studios with shit quality control. Taking long? Yes, but has nothing to do with sustainability.

supernova8

Banned
for PS5 with PS6 in mind = not coming out for fucking ageeeeeees.

I can see it now, we're going to get hardly any "true next-gen games" this generation.
Xbox is just.... no idea what they're doing but practically all of their supposedly proper next gen stuff seems to get delayed for eternity so count them out.
Nintendo is... basically stuck at last-gen visuals anyway.

So Playstation will have to carry the entire generation. I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
TLOU1 has sold around 27 million copies. Estimates put Uncharted 4 around 20 million. TLOUP2 sits at around 10 million two years after its release. That's still a terrific achievement! However, it's been outsold by GOW:R in less than three months, which shows the kind of performance a highly anticipated sequel can go on to achieve. TLOUP2 underperformed - unless you think Sony would expect a sequel to one of the best received games of all times from their "most popular, most awarded and overwhelmingly their most successful developer" (your words) would sell 50% of its predecessor?

I believe I hit a nerve. I never said Naughty Dog's budget had been cut. I simply explained why it could from Sony's perspective and what a game's budget actually means, since your post demonstrated you didn't really understand how these things worked. Instead of going 0-100 on the defense force rhetoric, maybe take a minute, read a post, and understand what the person is saying. You'll enjoy yourself more on the internet.

Last of Us Part II

Several weeks ago, you said Last of Us Part II would reach 13 million in lifetime sales.

The Last of Us Part II performed great in 2022 after a slow year in 2021. The game performed really well at the end of 2022 and it continues after the HBO series hype.

I wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses 12 million by June.

Remember, The Last of Us Part II sales were low in 2021 and it was announced that it surpassed 10 million last spring.

2021 Best-Selling PS4 PSN Games
- The Last of Us Part II did not make the top 20

2022 Best-Selling PS4 PSN Games

US | Canada

4th - Elden Ring
9th - God of War Ragnarok
12th -The Last of Us Part II
13th - Horizon Forbidden West

Europe
8th - Last of Us Part II
9th - Elden Ring
15th - God of War Ragnarok
19th - Gran Turismo 7
20th - Horizon Forbidden West

Obviously, sales are going to be lower for PS4, but this is still very impressive.

Now Last of Us Part II is trending in sales and they're likely going to release a PS5 version and PC version.

Uncharted 4

This game sold well, but bundles helped a lot. It's been reported by ZhugeEX that more than 4 million copies sold were due to bundles. This is why The Last of Us Part II surpassed Uncharted 4's revenue in the US in less than 3 weeks. Units sold number doesn't tell the entire story.

God of War

God of war sold yes, but again, let's not pretend that all those console bundles are helping increase sales.

People often use bundle sales of games like God of War, Last of Us Remaster, Uncharted 4 when talking about sales.

Last edited:

vivftp

See you in 2026-27.

Naughty dog are slow developers.

wow, I can just quote one of my older posts for this...

lol, slow productivity relative to what? To whom?

Nov 2007 - Uncharted : Drake's Fortune (PS3)
Oct 2009 - Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves (PS3)
Nov 2011 - Uncharted 3 : Drake's Deception (PS3)
Jun 2013 - The Last of Us (PS3)
Jul 2014 - The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)
May 2016 - Uncharted 4 : A Thief's End (PS4)
Aug 2017 - Uncharted The Lost Legacy (PS4)
Jun 2020 - The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4)
Jan 2022 - Uncharted : Legacy of Thieves Collection (PS5)
Sep 2022 - The Last of Us Part 1 (PS5)
Oct 2022 - Uncharted : Legacy of Thieves Collection (PC)
Mar 2023 - The Last of Us Part 1 (PC)

That's the last 16 years of projects from Naughty Dog. Even if you only count brand new games, that's about 1 new game every 2 years. They're currently working on TLOU MP, apparently a new IP under Neil. Rumor is they're co-developing a new Uncharted game with VASG and are very likely working on the PS5/PC version of TLOU Part 2. This is in addition to collaborating on the TLOU HBO series. We also have indications that a Jak & Daxter movie may occur, in which case they'd collaborate on that and quite likely either give us some newer versions of some of the older games, or possibly a new entry in that franchise.

There was also the Uncharted movie, but since that all began well before PlayStation Productions was a thing, I dunno how involved ND really were in that.

Anyways, if the above is an indication of slow and disappointing productivity, then who exactly would you consider to be a productive studio?

There aren't many other studios out there capable of the sort of output Naughty Dog has had over the last 16 years, especially when you factor in the extremely high production values with their games. Studios like Insomniac and From Software come to mind as ones who could be considered comparable or possibly even better. Also keep in mind that up until about 1.5 or so years ago, Naughty Dog weren't a multi-project studio. They were hovering around there, but it wasn't until more recently that they became a fully fledged multi-project studio. Add to that the massive hiring spree that they and other SIE studios have been undergoing, and it seems evident that we can expect their overall output to increase going forward.

ZehDon

... Several weeks ago, you said Last of Us Part II would reach 13 million in lifetime sales...
And it probably will. But, the last confirmed figures we have is 10 million. So, until we get an update, that's where it sits.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the TV show’s success instigated a “cancel everything we’re working on right now and start Part III! We have to ride this wave!” at Naughty Dog.

Last edited:
Despite all of the backlash towards Abby, she and Lev have great chemistry, and her sections of the prior game were very intense.

I really want to know how they're getting on with the other Fireflies, while living on Catalina Island.

Godot25

Banned
My favorite part of this is the fact that development cycles have gotten so long a game in development now is already being made with eyes towards a console not even close to being in market several years down the line.
It's not like game studios are innocent in this.
I get that more advanced technology requires more work/more people/more time. But if game studios can't seem to manage to get games out in reasonable amount of time, maybe there is a problem with scoping of your game.
Like..nobody required from Naughty Dog that TLOU 2 needs to be 25 hours long, especially since first game was maybe 13 hours long.

Just look at Insomniac or Respawn. They are great at this. Scope your game properly, trim the fat out and you are golden.

yurinka

"the budget depends on the success of the show" = 100% fake

SIE and ND have their own budgets, the tv show is only a secondary project handled by other team (PlayStation Productions) to get some extra revenue. ND already generated a shit ton of money and awards to deserve all the budget they may need for their games. A tv show adaptation won't affect it at all.

Druckmann said they aren't developing it right now, and doesn't have any reason to lie about this. Right now they are busy with the TLOU MP game, the TLOUP1 PC port, pretty likely a TLOU2 PS5+PC SKU outsourced to someone and maybe also can be developing a new ND IP. They could also be overviewing or codeveloping a new Uncharted.

So to add on top TLOU3 would be too much work for them, I assume they'll wait until they ship some of these other projects

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Did he say that?
Nah. He said that ND "CAN" leave The Last of Us, like they left Uncharted. Not that they left The Last of Us. Of course they did not left TLOU, since they are developing TLOU multiplayer game atm. But Druckmann also said that story beats of potential third game are already in place.
I seriously doubt Sony would allow them to leave TLOU after success of the show. And if they don't want to work on series anymore I have no doubts Sony can find another developer who want to work on series.

Last edited:

yurinka

Did he say that?
Yes. He said that after TLOU2 he wrote a first draft of the TLOU3 main story to use it, just in case they decide to develop it somewhere in the future, but that they aren't working in the game. In fact, he said multiple times that they aren't working on TLOU3.

He said their main focus now is TLOU Online -their biggest and most ambitious game ever- and that they also have other smaller projects.

He also said that Sony doesn't force them to continue making sequels of their games. And that both TLOU2 and Uncharted 4 have endings that could work to leave the IPs ending there, but that if they find good stories they or other team could continue them.

Some months ago both ND presidents said they were interested to make more TLOU, Uncharted and new IP. Which is compatible with codeveloping them with other teams, or to outsource them to other teams while ND overviews them.

Last edited:
Yes. He said that after TLOU2 he wrote a first draft of the TLOU3 main story to use it, just in case they decide to develop it somewhere in the future, but that they aren't working in the game. In fact, he said multiple times that they aren't working on TLOU3.

He said their main focus now is TLOU Online -their biggest and most ambitious game ever- and that they also have other smaller projects.
It's difficult to go back through every statement on google, but I'm not sure he actually said that. The way he speaks is by picking his words extremely carefully so that he's not technically saying with 100% commitment what you think he's saying. I don't think he ever said definitively what they're working on. I remember him saying something like, don't believe all rumors most aren't true (which basically confirms that some of them are true). It's always some vague half statement from him.

Top Bottom