• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us Part II may get a new version made especially for the PlayStation 5

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
ND on Ps3: Hey guys we've got 2 whole new IP's for you
ND on ps4: Ok no new IP this time but a bunch of sequels
ND on Ps5: TLOU...but like TLOU you already played
There will be a new IP from them this gen, bet on it.

But with the HBO show this year of course TLOU will get a lot of focus until that time

Dude they just had the creative director of Uncharted Lost Legacy and Avengers waste two years of his life overseeing the development of a remake that had no new dialogue written, no changes made to the cutscenes aside from new facial animations and character models, and no changes made to level design and encounters. He literally did nothing when he couldve been working on a brand new game.

This is Neil's studio and he was busy with the show so the studio had to keep themselves busy. They took over this project from VSG and now two years after refusing to do a native PS5 port, they are going back to it because they are clearly still sitting there idle with nothing to do after shipping TLOU Part 1. Very surprised that 2.5 years after shipping TLOU2 they havent shown their next game. ND revealed Uncharted 4 a year after shipping TLOU. Revealed Lost Legacy and TLOU at the same conference just 6 months after shipping Uncharted 4. Now they are struggling to show a single screenshot of their factions game let alone their next big title. It has to be a Neil thing. This studio used to be very productive. Thats probably why they are working on all these remasters and remakes. Might as well do something.
This is what happens when a studio gets too big for their britches. Or when a studio head gets too big for his. First you get dumb story decisions then a TV adaptation and other superfluous bs

Imtjnotu

Make It Rain Money GIF

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The Last of Us, Part II - 2: 358/2 Remasters, deMake - PS3 Version - Remade: Director's Cut Turbo Edition X: You know, Neil we really are never making a new game again edition.

Day 1 pre-order bonus: a golf club and a noose

Season pass includes free early access to the next Remake of the game you just bought. As long as you aren't a youtuber, or white.

Stooky

Dude they just had the creative director of Uncharted Lost Legacy and Avengers waste two years of his life overseeing the development of a remake that had no new dialogue written, no changes made to the cutscenes aside from new facial animations and character models, and no changes made to level design and encounters. He literally did nothing when he couldve been working on a brand new game.

This is Neil's studio and he was busy with the show so the studio had to keep themselves busy. They took over this project from VSG and now two years after refusing to do a native PS5 port, they are going back to it because they are clearly still sitting there idle with nothing to do after shipping TLOU Part 1. Very surprised that 2.5 years after shipping TLOU2 they havent shown their next game. ND revealed Uncharted 4 a year after shipping TLOU. Revealed Lost Legacy and TLOU at the same conference just 6 months after shipping Uncharted 4. Now they are struggling to show a single screenshot of their factions game let alone their next big title. It has to be a Neil thing. This studio used to be very productive. Thats probably why they are working on all these remasters and remakes. Might as well do something.
Drunk Beach GIF

MScarpa

What a surprise. Sucks but seems to be the M.O. for ND at the moment. I wish they would make something else, new IP, just tired of remakes/remasters. Money grabs

jigglet

Banned
Angry gamer: I fucking hate remasters

Studio: well it's a remake

Angry gamer: I hate remakes too

Studio: no you see, this one is a reimagining

Angry gamer: stop it with this lazy shit

Studio: brace yourself - it's a new version made especially for the PlayStation 5

Studio: checkmate retard

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
If it's the same as the Remake to the Last of Us Remake part 1 and charging full price, Neil Drunkman can go take one in the butt. Greedy bastards!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nothing against this trend, but it really makes me question buying the first release of their games, especially towards the later part of any given generation.
I mean the first one came out a few days after the PS5 reveal. Everyone knew that in 6 months, Sony wouldve released a better 60 fps version of it, no? It still sold 4 million in 3 days.

Now of course, it took them a year to patch in 60 fps and another year to release a PS5 sku so I'd say the concern is actually unwarranted. If anything, they have dragged their heels on this port. It shouldve been a day one PS5 title.

bender

What time is it?
I mean the first one came out a few days after the PS5 reveal. Everyone knew that in 6 months, Sony wouldve released a better 60 fps version of it, no? It still sold 4 million in 3 days.

Now of course, it took them a year to patch in 60 fps and another year to release a PS5 sku so I'd say the concern is actually unwarranted. If anything, they have dragged their heels on this port. It shouldve been a day one PS5 title.

It's not concern, it just makes more sense to wait and play the better version of the game. You also don't have to deal with annoyances of how Sony handles "upgrade paths":
-Spider-Man for PS5 was only part of a special bundle of Miles Morales PS5.
-Tsushima was only available via a Director's Cut that included the DLC.

Last edited:
If enough people are willing to buy it, then Sony would be stupid not to follow their recent trend of releasing the same game multiple times. It's easy money for them.

I myself just can't do it though. To me, these types of games have incredibly little replay value as it is. I couldn't imagine actually buying the game all over again just to see the same thing. Just with some additional frames or pixels. But that's just me. I know tlou has a lot of fans, so I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear this.

Please patch out all the walking sections with Abby. Especially the fucking Aquarium sections. There are THREE flashbacks set in the Acquarium that completely kill the pacing.

I mostly stick with encounter select because the combat is sublime but the loading times are almost a minute long. Uncharted 4's encounter select literally loads in a second. Would be amazing to get it. Will gladly pay $10 to fund Jimbo's cocaine addiction.

The aquarium sections were not the best... but the fucking aquarium section.... whooooh! Yeah, that was pretty traumatizing to watch.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I didnt have any issues, what was wrong with the 3 flashbacks?
They kill the pacing on repeated playthroughs. Too many walking segments that drag on for far too long. I can skip cutscenes, but I cant skip walking around aquarium not once but three times.

Same reason why I hate Atreus sections in GOW. way too many walking segments.

Umbasaborne

Banned
But TLOU2 Factions!

The Last Of Us Omg GIF by Naughty Dog
Ugh these gifs…sony some how managed to trick all their fans into marketing for them with these.

I dont mean to be salty, i just wish nd would make something new. Given that we are anficipating a part 2 upgrade, factions, and part 3 means its probably gonna be another 10 years of exclusively the last of us from them

Last edited:

Freeman76

If they do this and charge full price for it they need to include the part 1 remake or they are taking the piss as far as im concerned

ProtoByte

I was kinda hoping Margenau and Newman or Margenau and Escayg would take the lead on their own project, but Newman's on The Waste of Us Factions and Escayg's just come back after making the wrong move going to "make" whatever the fuck Avengers was.

So technically, they are doing shit without Druckmann. But it seems the single player ball is still in his court.

Let's just hope Gross is relegated to the live service crew.

night13x

The Last of Us II: Turbo

PS5 exclusive

featuring better water physics

$69.99

Also announcing The Last of Us II: Turbo Scalper's edition

Playstation Direct exclusive

No limit on how many you can buy (while supplies last)

Comes with a 32pg book and a 5 song sampler CD

$149.99

Box may come damaged in shipping

Non-refundable

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I agree, her combat scenes and the weapons she gets are great...I just never really cared about her.

Ok, sure, he father was taken from her when she was very young and she's filled with bitterness and rage.

I get it.

But, so were most people in that world.

Expecting us to have some great awakening, an epiphany, about the futility of revenge etc...was never going to work because they are all victims of circumstances to a degree and Abby's story wasn't special or unique... except to her, obviously.

Besides, none of that payoff was worth brutally murdering Joel to achieve.
You can’t say it has no chance of working because it did for me and many many people. You just gotta let the game take you for emotional rollercoaster.
By the end i fucking cried. It was so good and I hated it at the beginning and when it switched. You are supposed to feel this real hate.
I can say no game made me feel this emotions. By the end I even thought Abby was the better character. But essentially they are almost the same struggling with same revenge cycle that destroys them.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ugh no more, do something else.😑

p.gif
Why? You really think releasing a port takes any time away from something else?
I wouldn’t mind a native port with dualsense support, 4k, vrr, fast loading and so on.
It doesn’t need any assets updates to its a really easy port probably.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Maybe they shouldnt have forced out Amy Henning after all. Had Neil and Bruce gone straight to making TLOU2 after shipping TLOU1 instead of fucking around with Amy's sequel, who knows maybe Amy wouldve had a new IP ready by 2022.

That whole episode just straight up destroyed ND's future plans. TLOU2 delayed by years. Bruce burned out and eventually left. Justin Richmond the director of Uncharted 3 left after Amy's firing. Evan Wells just did an interview last year saying how they still struggle juggling multiple projects, and im like you guys had the system down ten years ago! They shipped Uncharted 2 in 2009, gave Neil and Bruce a new team to prep TLOU while Amy and Justin shipped Uncharted 3 in 2011. Then less than two years later, Neil and bruce shipped TLOU by summer 2013. Give Amy and Justin the full production team and they wouldve had Uncharted 4 out by summer 2015 then TLOU 2017 or 2018 then new IP four years later.

But no Neil had to go fuck with Amy's game and screw everything up. Now Neil is the president of the studio, but is too busy making TV shows while his entire studio sits on their ass fucking around with Sony Bend's Uncharted spin off, VSG studios' TLOU remake, GaaS stuff and PS5 ports.
Forcing her out was the best decision. Tlou and uc4 are incredible. Especially uc4 is so much better than previous ones.

But not sure what that have to do with the output?
They made 4 games on ps3 and only 2 on ps4. Now they already made 1.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Played it in the native 4k mode. that Madagascar level runs around 45-55 fps with VRR on. Absolutely gorgeous and super smooth. At launch before VRR, it was capped at 30 fps. ND was leaving so much extra performance on the table.

TBH, I was surprised to see TLOU remake struggle to hit 35 fps in its native despite the much smaller levels. I know TLOU Part 2 looks much better than Uncharted, but TLOU remake features a lot of very small environments. It shouldnt be performing this bad in native 4k. It will be interesting to see if they are able to do better with TLOU2's native PS5 port.
Wait. There is now unlocked quality mode?! I played at launch 4k30. Thanks

skneogaf

The only real issue I have is how big abby is, it does not look correct and just does not make sense.

If they reduce her size then the story problems can be resolved in part 3.

They will struggle to find an actress big enough for the TV show if they keep her the same size.
I
'm bigger than most people on the planet and even I think she's too big.

2017 Abby is fine.

Last edited:

skneogaf

The only real issue I have is how big abby is, it does not look correct and just does not make sense.

If they reduce her size then the story problems can be resolved in part 3.

They will struggle to find an actress big enough for the TV show if they keep her the same size.
I
'm bigger than most people on the planet and even I think she's too big.

2017 Abby is fine.
DwTYiWu.png

Kokoloko85

They kill the pacing on repeated playthroughs. Too many walking segments that drag on for far too long. I can skip cutscenes, but I cant skip walking around aquarium not once but three times.

Same reason why I hate Atreus sections in GOW. way too many walking segments.

I didnt mind them. Was plenty of combat with Artreus which I wasnt expected. I don’t normally play these kind of games after I finish them.

I see it as a way of moving the story while keeping conversation/ scene going. GTA, JRPG’s, MGS etc but instead of a standstill or cutscene, you can kinda move.
Maybe its my years of reading JRPG dialogues or MGS cutscenes that take forever, so I dont mind this stuff

Woggleman

I love TLOU2 but the patched PS4 version already looks and plays as well as most new gen games. Just have them patch in some haptics and that is good enough.

Top Bottom