• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox Has Allegedly Canceled Its E3 Appearance Due To A Marketing Budget Cut

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
$72 billion in profits last year ladies and gentleman.

Cant afford an E3 conference.

Yeah this isn't looking good for the Xbox brand. There's literally NO reason to but the marketing budget now for them. This is supposed to be their year!

Topher

Gold Member
Hard disagree. Tech simply doesn't work that way. There may be some similarities, not many. The landscape WILL change. It has to. That's just how technology works.

That's exactly how tech works. Typically we have small incremental advancements, not broad sweeping changes. In either case, a subscription isn't a technological change at all. It is simply a business model.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
That's exactly how tech works. Typically we have small incremental advancements, not broad sweeping changes. In either case, a subscription isn't a technological change at all. It is simply a business model.
Xbox live was a broad sweeping change! Changed gaming forever.

For context, I'm not saying this will all suddenly take place. But we will get there, if only incrementally. Subscription services aren't exactly new, no. But they are definitely becoming much more prevalent and will continue to do so. Their just a much more convenient and affordable way to access gaming. People love convenience and affordability. It is what it is.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I have. Like I said, it'll be a few years before we see a primarily complete shift but, I do believe it's coming.
and what are you saying with this statement?:

Stahp! Lol

Sony is good at what they do. All about hardware sales. Traditional business model. I agree.

Microsoft is hands down a legitimate threat to Sony with their subscription and cloud services, which is where the industry is heading. You do the math, my boy ..

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Stahp! Lol

Sony is good at what they do. All about hardware sales. Traditional business model. I agree.

Microsoft is hands down a legitimate threat to Sony with their subscription and cloud services, which is where the industry is heading. You do the math, my boy ..
Let's not overestimate it and get carried away. Please add some facts and data here.
  • Gamepass has the least amount of subscribers of all the 3 gaming subscription services by console manufacturers. PS Plus is the biggest gaming subscription.
  • Gamepass only makes 15% of the Xbox revenue. In the grand scheme of things, it is minuscule.
  • PS Plus generates more revenue than Game Pass.
How exactly is Microsoft doing better in this non-traditional model than Sony? By which metric?

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox live was a broad sweeping change! Changed gaming forever.

For context, I'm not saying this will all suddenly take place. But we will get there, if only incrementally. Subscription services aren't exactly new, no. But they are definitely becoming much more prevalent and will continue to do so. Their just a much more convenient and affordable way to access gaming.

Perhaps, but subscriptions are still just a business model.

Gavon West

Let's not overestimate it and get carried away. Please add some facts and data here.
  • Gamepass has the least amount of subscribers of all the 3 gaming subscription services by console manufacturers. PS Plus is the biggest gaming subscription.
  • Gamepass only makes 15% of the Xbox revenue. In the grand scheme of things, it is minuscule.
How exactly is Microsoft doing better in this non-traditional model than Sony? By which metric?
Sony rolled their existing customers into PS+ and renamed it. Gimme a break bro.. most PS+ customers have stated many times that GP kills PS+ because of day one releases..

The whole reason Sony is even TRYING again with their sub service is because of Gamepass. And their the god damn market leader for crying out loud! I'm just sayin....

Sony doesn't have their own cloud ecosystem as well. In fact, the only manufacturer out of the Big 3 that is perfectly aligned to crush it in the future is Microsoft. No fanboy bullshit.

They have the developers, hardware, defacto subscription service and cloud infrastructure all in place. And I haven't even included spending power.

This isn't to fanboy Microsoft but, it is to emphasize the resources, infrastructure and experience that each brings to the table.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony rolled their existing customers into PS+ and renamed it. Gimme a break bro.. most PS+ customers have stated many times that GP kills PS+ because of day one releases..

The whole reason Sony is even TRYING again with their sub service is because of Gamepass. And their the god damn market leader for crying out loud! I'm just sayin....

Sony doesn't have their own cloud ecosystem as well. In fact, the only manufacturer out of the Big 3 that is perfectly aligned to crush it in the future is Microsoft. No fanboy bullshit.

They have the developers, hardware, defacto subscription service and cloud infrastructure all in place. And I haven't even included spending power.

This isn't to fanboy Microsoft but, it is to emphasize the resources, infrastructure and experience that each brings to the table.
You're sharing subjective opinions. I'm asking about facts.

Can you share by which metric you think Xbox is doing better than Sony in the subscription side of things?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

PS Plus is the merging of two separate services and has consistently been losing subscribers for the last couple of earning reports. It lost another 2 million subscribers as of the latest report a few days back. This whole "PS Plus has more subscribers" thing comes off so disingenuous when people kind of neglect to mention any of this.

Game Pass is standalone and has been gaining total sub counts every earning reports, even if it isn't meeting their arbitrary goal, it's still increasing in double digit growth, the last time they reported it, it was in the 20 ~ something % of growth IIRC.

Last edited:

Gavon West

You're sharing subjective opinions. I'm asking about facts.

Can you share by which metric you think Xbox is doing better than Sony in the subscription side of things?
Gamepass releases day one games on their service. Sony doesn't. Sony won't.

And, everything else I mentioned is objectively fact. Sony is market leader. This is true. Their going to do well as they have more global customers. But (yes this is my opinion) there's a real possibility that this won't always be the case. We're on the cusp of this, right now, with the ABK merger.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
PS Plus is the merging of two separate services and has consistently been losing subscribers for the last couple of earning reports. It lost another 2 million subscribers as of the latest report a few days back. This whole "PS Plus has more subscribers" thing comes off so disingenuous when people kind of neglect to mention any of this.
Does any of this change the fact I shared? Gamepass has 25 million subscribers, and PS+ has 48 million subscribers.

And Gamepass is also built upon Xbox Live Gold (the $1 upgrade path). Additionally, both PS+ and Gamepass offer online play. It's the same thing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gamepass releases day one games on their service. Sony doesn't. Sony won't.

And, everything else I mentioned is objectively fact. Sony is market leader. This is true. Their going to do well as they have more global customers. But (yes this is my opinion) there's a real possibility that this won't always be the case. We're on the cusp of this, right now, with the ABK merger.
I asked about metrics, and your response is this.

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Anyway, it's clear that you have nothing concrete or factual which proves that Sony is doing worse than Xbox in the subscription space. Let's not derail this thread further. Enjoy your day, friend.

adamsapple

Does any of this change the fact I shared? Gamepass has 25 million subscribers, and PS+ has 48 million subscribers.

Yes.

For starters, PS+ has 46.4m subs, it lost -1.6m compared to the last quarter.

Second, Game Pass's figure are a year old, Jan 2022 or thereabouts.

And Gamepass is also built upon Xbox Live Gold (the $1 upgrade path). Additionally, both PS+ and Gamepass offer online play. It's the same thing.

The upgrade path is only for first timers, it doesn't really help recurring people much.

And Xbox Live Gold also offers online play, we don't know how many Gold subscribers there are.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The upgrade path is only for first timers, it doesn't really help recurring people much.

And Xbox Live Gold also offers online play, we don't know how many Gold subscribers there are.
I have dual accounts and my secondary account I let GPU expire and after about a month I was offered the $1 deal which I reupped for 1 month and going to test if every other month I would keep getting that $1 offer

But yeah recurring members this doesn't help

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes.

For starters, PS+ has 46.4m subs, it lost -1.6m compared to the last quarter.
Okay, it's a typo. I wrote 48 instead of 46.4. Thanks for the correction, but even that doesn't change anything about what I said earlier, i.e., PS+ is the leading gaming subscription of the 3 console manufacturers.
Second, Game Pass's figure are a year old, Jan 2022 or thereabouts.
It's the last official data we have. If you have newer numbers, please share it and we can use that one.

It does. Once your sub runs out, you can use the $1 upgrade path again.

Game Pass is standalone and has been gaining total sub counts every earning reports, even if it isn't meeting their arbitrary goal, it's still increasing in double digit growth, the last time they reported it, it was in the 20 ~ something % of growth IIRC.
It also appears people are trying to have it both ways. When Sony was complaining to regulators about the Activision acquisition they claimed that Game pass was dominant and they couldn't compete with it now we are hearing that PS+ is the biggest subscription game service. I'm comfortable saying Sony has the biggest service just don't then argue Xbox has some sort of advantage they do not. It's the third place showing when there are only two competitors argument again.

Gavon West

I asked about metrics, and your response is this.

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen's Kitchen

Anyway, it's clear that you have nothing concrete or factual which proves that Sony is doing worse than Xbox in the subscription space. Let's not derail this thread further. Enjoy your day, friend.
I never said Sony is doing worse. I said Gamepass is the defacto subscription service in the industry and it is! Sony themselves are trying to mimic it now. And again, the only reason PS + has more subscribers is because they rolled in the additional subscribers from the original. Doesn't it make it the best service out of the Big 3 however. Until they can release day and date new IPs on PS+ they will always be subpar.

Actually both are likely higher than that by now, weren't both those numbers from early last year?

Thebonehead

Banned
Phil Spencer has said himself that Game Pass is 10-15% of game content revenue for Xbox and he doesn't expect that to change. You say VR hasn't proven itself, and I agree, but really neither has game streaming. But even if/when game streaming becomes more prevalent with the masses this is only going to broaden the industry not replace existing segments. So I don't think we are talking about transformative technology regardless if it is VR or game streaming.

Right now, to me, where we are going looks a lot like where we are.
Xbox Cloud gaming certainly hasn't proved it for me.

I have a healthy 1GB connection and the latency is horrible for me on the few times I've tried to see if I will like something on gamepass.

Nvidia seems to have solved that issue on their side.

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox Cloud gaming certainly hasn't proved it for me.

I have a healthy 1GB connection and the latency is horrible for me on the few times I've tried to see if I will like something on gamepass.

Nvidia seems to have solved that issue on their side.

Yeah, I'm surprised Nvidia is leading the pack on this. How a GPU maker got ahead of cloud giants Google, Amazon and Microsft.......I have no idea.

MacReady13

I know…. But there are a lot of supporters out there really claiming Gamepass is making MS so much money Lol!!
Delusional would be a nice way of putting it! People thinking sub services for gaming is the future are freaking dreaming! Now if only these same people would put their efforts into REAL future in gaming like VR then we might evolve gaming like it deserves to.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft was kinda throwing too much money around on these shows imo. I think it could be a good thing to cut back and do more direct type stuff.

Seems to be working for the others and everyone got bored with presenters talking for like 2 hours, massive waste of venue, people, time, really.

Yes dropping e3 while sucks for that summer of hype we used to get is probs for the best.

Microsoft was kinda throwing too much money around on these shows imo.

Did a great deal of reversing damage self-inflicted after Phil's early mistakes, and helped turn around the mindshare and perception of Xbox One later in the gen, and was a good platform for the One S and One X which also helped improve mindshare and brought back hype and reduced concern about Xbox future, later fueled even more buy new promised game announcements, new studio buyouts, and even a couple release dates.

Sure we are still waiting for those, and Xbox kind of coasted the last two years outside Infinite, Forza H5, PN2, and Flight simulator, but those shows really helped Xbox coverage, improve Xbox One sales late from being much worse, and helped with the powerful and hyped launch of the Series consoles.

Of course, being right across the street from E3, and having their E3 outside the E3 building at their last live in-person presentation, kind of makes E3 slightly odd.

Most likely for coverage since games are picking up, Xbox will do E3 next year, at their theater across the street as they did before. Maybe have some promos and booths at the E3 building.

I believe they are still going to Gamescom this year

Yeah, I'm surprised Nvidia is leading the pack on this. How a GPU maker got ahead of cloud giants Google, Amazon and Microsft.......I have no idea.
Easy. They created a good product and instead of marketing the fuck out of it, they just kept supporting it and on a long enough timeline it garnered a reputation as a good service. What killed Google and Amazon is they tried to create their own ecosystem, which isn't what people want. I expect MS to do quite well as time goes on.

JLB

Banned
Easy. They created a good product and instead of marketing the fuck out of it, they just kept supporting it and on a long enough timeline it garnered a reputation as a good service. What killed Google and Amazon is they tried to create their own ecosystem, which isn't what people want. I expect MS to do quite well as time goes on.

What killed Google and is killing Amazon is that they dont have proper know-how, experience on the market and muscle (studios / IPs /etc).

edit: Still... the day Google put together its shit its gonna be game over for Sony, Microsoft, and the rest. Imagine a future where you could play any game, almost lag free just clicking on a videio or searching on Youtube (yeah, I know Stadia attempted kind of that, but failed on the execution).

Last edited:
This just... feels off to me. This is like "Nintendo doesn't have software to do an E3 booth". Like, c’mon… That's an excuse. Nintendo literally had a booth for one game in 2016, and it was one of their best E3s in recent times. And that was the last year of the Wii U, which was already dead by then. So, sorry but I'm just not buying this. It's like what people were saying about Sony winding down their e3 presence in 2018 and then never attending again. "Well, the PS4 is on the way out and theyre transitioning to a new console, so they just don't have enough to show". Riiiight... for two E3s in a row? Like they've never had to contend with a console transition before?! Management just didn't want to attend, pure and simple. It had nothing to do with lineup. You can put a decent e3 conference together even with a light lineup, by announcing some things early, or bringing in more third-parties, etc.

So, "light lineup this year" or "our budget was cut, we can't afford the booth"... those excuses are a convenient scapegoat for why they won't be there. But, Xbox can't afford a normal e3 booth? Nintendo doesn't have enough games? LOL, seriously? If they choose not to participate, it’s a deliberate business decision, from the top.

Maybe the PAX organizers had some proposals that just didn’t look good to the platform holders, I have no idea. But if all three platform holders are skipping, that really tells us all we need to know. It’s not any specific reason for any of the three, it’s just maybe the proposal was really bad and they don’t want to humiliate the ESA or the new organizers of the show by calling that out.

Last edited:

Yup. Sony basically had to change the rules in order to get that number. Everyone knows game pass + xbox live gold is greater than ps plus subs.

adamsapple

More yeah, this rumour does not make a lot of sense.

They've already outright confirmed an LA showcase, so they're already doing exactly the same thing they did at E3 2019, the last E3 before the lockdowns.

Top Bottom