• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox Has Allegedly Canceled Its E3 Appearance Due To A Marketing Budget Cut

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
MS is gonna have a huge show next door at their own venue.

Not sure if many posters are either forgetful or deliberately obtuse, but they had their E3 2019 show (before the covid lockdowns) in the same Microsoft Theater, not the E3 show floor.

So this is basically the same as before. Maybe they'll have a reduced E3 show presence with fewer booths, but their main event is still the same, to the best of my understanding.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Microsofts gaming division seems hilariously incompetent at this point. They need more victories like hi fi rush, instead every project seems to be stuck in development hell and now they cant afford to market their own games.

Covid and nintendo directs have killed a big part of why i used to get excited about game announcements

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What’s the problem with Xbox for some users? Why so much hating? It seems something like “penis envy” lol.
It goes both ways honestly just the reason there are more Xbox haters is because there are more Playstation only players

There is a large amount of people on both sides that think their plastic box is best and do everything in their power to make the other camp think they are inferior

reinking

Gold Member
I'm not even talking about this E3 event. Xbox might be dead if this Activision deal don't go through.

I can't go there with you but I do agree that XB really needs this to go through. I'm not saying they will shut the doors on Xbox but I believe this is their last shot at becoming as influential as they want to be (controlling) in the industry.

So far this gen, we have gone through... ...the most powerful console.... ...the cheapest console... ...Game Pass... ...and now we are to Acti/Blizzard as the Sony killer. We are seeing right now that Sony's train is not slowing down. If/when MS takes CoD off of PlayStation, who takes the bigger hit? Sony or CoD? Depending on Game Pass maturity/pricing at that point, it is much easier to find a new game to play than abandon your entire catalogue of games you have purchased over the years in the PS ecosystem.

There are a lot of things to keep an eye on as we go through this current generation and into the next. If team blue maintains, or increases, their overall console sales ratio over Xbox things are going to still be bumpy for team green. Of course, it goes both ways. Sony can't afford the PlayStation division to lose influence over the industry and start losing money.

The only thing I know for certain... ..I am going to continue to have access to both and any others that come along. It's the hobby that chose me and I love it.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Microsofts gaming division seems hilariously incompetent at this point. They need more victories like hi fi rush, instead every project seems to be stuck in development hell and now they cant afford to market their own games.

Covid and nintendo directs have killed a big part of why i used to get excited about game announcements
Now they’re ‘hilariously incompetent’ because they want to use their own cost effective arrangement for their annual June showcase vs paying a third party much more cash to be part of an official E3 event.

“Every project stuck in development hell” is quite the BS take.

I can't go there with you but I do agree that XB really needs this to go through. I'm not saying they will shut the doors on Xbox but I believe this is their last shot at becoming as influential as they want to be (controlling) in the industry.

So far this gen, we have gone through... ...the most powerful console.... ...the cheapest console... ...Game Pass... ...and now we are to Acti/Blizzard as the Sony killer. We are seeing right now that Sony's train is not slowing down. If/when MS takes CoD off of PlayStation, who takes the bigger hit? Sony or CoD? Depending on Game Pass maturity/pricing at that point, it is much easier to find a new game to play than abandon your entire catalogue of games you have purchased over the years in the PS ecosystem.

There are a lot of things to keep an eye on as we go through this current generation and into the next. If team blue maintains, or increases, their overall console sales ratio over Xbox things are going to still be bumpy for team green, Activision or not. Of course, it goes both ways. Sony can't afford the PlayStation division to lose influence over the industry and start losing money.

The only thing I know for certain... ..I am going to continue to have access to both and any others that come along. It's the hobby that chose me and I love it.

I'm probably sound retarded by saying this but whatever happens with this merger will probably have a big impact on future acquisitions. I'f this goes through maybe the next large merger can't happen due to this one. Also a possibility that if it fails it can show us what regulators deem acceptable.

$2 trillion company has no money.

giphy.gif

acm2000

man, Hi-Fi Rush shadow dropping as a xbox exclusive 90/100 opencritic release has really ruffled so many peoples feathers, just take a chill pill guys, even sony fans can play game pass games super easy without even having to buy an xbox, embrace the games.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Isn't MS doing exactly what it did prior to Covid? If I recall they were already forgoing E3 but still doing their showcase during that timeframe. So this is really just status quo.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Isn't MS doing exactly what it did prior to Covid? If I recall they were already forgoing E3 but still doing their showcase during that timeframe. So this is really just status quo.
Yes and it’s exactly what Sony and Nintendo are doing as well.

man, Hi-Fi Rush shadow dropping as a xbox exclusive 90/100 opencritic release has really ruffled so many peoples feathers, just take a chill pill guys, even sony fans can play game pass games super easy without even having to buy an xbox, embrace the games.
There is literally a 1:1 ratio of the same people shitting up the wi-fi rush threads and the people pushing this thread. 😵‍💫

Topher

Gold Member
Yes and it’s exactly what Sony and Nintendo are doing as well.

There is literally a 1:1 ratio of the same people shitting up the wi-fi rush threads and the people pushing this thread. 😵‍💫

1:1? Then why are you shitting up the Wi Fi Rush threads?

Topher

Gold Member
I don't get how other companies manage to dodge all these negative comments and articles. It's just relentless for MS lol

the matrix dodging GIF

That's just nonsense and you know it. When there is negative news for PlayStation there is always a thread.

The persecution complex some of you have is hilarious.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Are they ramping down Xbox now or something?
They're way busy with history month, so no time for that stupid gaming stuff.

Edit: I mean, who cares, it's just a rumor and E3 is basically dead anyway. They can just make a reel and it's gonna be good enough.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't get how other companies manage to dodge all these negative comments and articles. It's just relentless for MS lol

the matrix dodging GIF

The PS5 price increase in select markets was over 30 pages here alone and saw several articles about it and it had nothing more to do with than the US dollar's performance vs other markets

Sony gets hammered a lot for some of their decisions

Even this thread here is funny as MS learned they could produce their own show at their own theater at the same time as E3 for a fraction of the cost yet it translates to Xbox doesn't have the money to promote their own games.

I mean Sony left E3 first no?

Lol isn’t this just regurgitating the stupidity from Andy platonic how are these bs threads even allowed. None of the big three have been to E3 in How many years now? Microsoft been doing their shows the week before E3 at the Microsoft theatre for how many years now? Phil Spencer just said in his latest ign interview that their show is already planned and they know what’s in it so how are they starve for marketing when they were never going to be at E3? I know some of you enjoy your Xbox fud but come on now lol this is bullshit.

wolffy71

Banned
It seems strange to me that these companies don't see value in E3. Do they just charge outrageous rates to have a presence there or is it just that expensive to produce these shows.

The PS5 price increase in select markets was over 30 pages here alone and saw several articles about it and it had nothing more to do with than the US dollar's performance vs other markets

Sony gets hammered a lot for some of their decisions

Even this thread here is funny as MS learned they could produce their own show at their own theater at the same time as E3 for a fraction of the cost yet it translates to Xbox doesn't have the money to promote their own games.

I mean Sony left E3 first no?
It was also the first system price increase ever. And Sony has record profits right now. I dont think they're entirely equivalent.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Not sure if many posters are either forgetful or deliberately obtuse, but they had their E3 2019 show (before the covid lockdowns) in the same Microsoft Theater, not the E3 show floor.

So this is basically the same as before. Maybe they'll have a reduced E3 show presence with fewer booths, but their main event is still the same, to the best of my understanding.

Thank God for the Microsoft Theater. The Xbox booth on the convention floor was a nightmare. It was always the most crowded, just a solid mass of people and impossible to even breathe. It was a million times better when they moved to their own much bigger, much nicer theater. Since they will probably have all of Bethesda with them now, it will probably be really packed even at the Microsoft theater.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
If Microsoft can throw another developer direct style show for their own E3, I'm good! I think a bunch of people feel the same way.

Hopefully we get word on upcoming bangers in the future. There are a couple of dev houses I absolutely NEED to hear from.

*cough* Ninja Theory *cough cough* Playground and Bethesda*cough*

It was also the first system price increase ever. And Sony has record profits right now. I dont think they're entirely equivalent.

Costs did go up for them so they weren't making that up. Still even with that they still managed to exceed peoples expectations. I guess how much people want the product is more important than a slight price increase in select markets.

Topher

Gold Member
For sure. Fanboy trash everywhere these days. Personally I do think Xbox gets it the worst though.

I have definitely noticed more negative Xbox news lately. You've got the ongoing drama at 343. Lots of speculation about the state of Starfield. Same for Fable. Layoffs at Microsoft. What else? Fanboys definitely love to pile on this type of shit. Same for Sony threads.

At the same time, I think it is incredibly odd that many here (not you) are complaining about the negative threads and yet ignore the positive ones entirely. These guys really need to follow adamsapple adamsapple as he always seems to have some gem of news for Xbox. Such as...

Sony Nintendo and Microsoft are stupid to get rid of e3, it was one time mainstream media put their attention on gaming, ohh well maybe in a few years we will get a cheaper alternative.

Last edited:

leo-j

I have a feeling that if the ACTIVISION deal doesn’t go through it could be catastrophic to the Xbox division.m, as in they are loosing too much money as a first party hardware manufacturing company, that last quarter result was pretty bad considering they were cheaper than the switch and marketed heavily during the holidays.

I have definitely noticed more negative Xbox news lately. You've got the ongoing drama at 343. Lots of speculation about the state of Starfield. Same for Fable. Layoffs at Microsoft. What else? Fanboys definitely love to pile on this type of shit. Same for Sony threads.

At the same time, I think it is incredibly odd that many here (not you) are complaining about the negative threads and yet ignore the positive ones entirely. These guys really need to follow adamsapple adamsapple as he always seems to have some gem of news for Xbox. Such as...

[/URL]

People shouldn't get upset with negative news because most of the time it's just fake rumors. Also sometimes PlayStation gets more negative news and other times Xbox gets more negative news. It's something that flip flops but most of the time it's nothing to worry about.

Topher

Gold Member
People shouldn't get upset with negative news because most of the time it's just fake rumors. Also sometimes PlayStation gets more negative news and other times Xbox gets more negative news. It's something that flip flops but most of the time it's nothing to worry about.

That's true. It seems like this stuff happens in waves. For a while there it was as if Sony had nothing but negative news. Most of it doesn't have any lasting negative effects. Just drama of the day.

Ozriel

M$FT
That or…. they have no games to show

Really awkward then, that they’re having their own showcase a week before E3 with no games, eh?

That's true. It seems like this stuff happens in waves. For a while there it was as if Sony had nothing but negative news. Most of it doesn't have any lasting negative effects. Just drama of the day.

Less about ‘negative news’ and more around the relentless, low IQ console warring that shows up to shit up the threads.

Yes it does. I remember all the FUD the PS5 got shortly before release. Most of that proved to be false and it didn't really affect the PS5s sales in the long term.

People are quick to forget but Xbox just released a pretty good game. Negative news won't take that away.

Ozriel

M$FT
I do think Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin sometimes makes a habit of poorly editorializing some of his threads in the OP, leading to some misguided comments.

The articles he references in the OP rightly note that while MS is not taking part in the official E3 2023, they have their own similar showcase planned in the same timeframe. And yet he drops this gem

However, it's because of those very same negatives that Microsoft would want to put as much focus on what their about to bring out to retain and gain the attention of potential new Xbox users.

As if there would be any difference in terms of reach or getting out the word between an E3 branded showcase and a MS June showcase.

Subsequently, we’ve seen multiple comments responding with the impression that there’s no June showcase.

I have a feeling that if the ACTIVISION deal doesn’t go through it could be catastrophic to the Xbox division.m, as in they are loosing too much money as a first party hardware manufacturing company, that last quarter result was pretty bad considering they were cheaper than the switch and marketed heavily during the holidays.

Nothing about last quarter’s result indicated that they are losing any money on gaming.

A YoY revenue drop doesn’t mean losses.

Sony Nintendo and Microsoft are stupid to get rid of e3, it was one time mainstream media put their attention on gaming, ohh well maybe in a few years we will get a cheaper alternative.

There are many marketing opportunities aside trade shows. Sony’s first party is making stellar sales off the usual mix of TV spots, web ads, social media stuff etc.

Within 30 mins of every showcase, someone is already sharing vids of God of War et Al in my gaming WhatsApp groups.

Great games with exciting gameplay and - most often - stellar visuals tend to get a lot of word of mouth and social media traction. That’s really something MS needs to learn for some of their studios.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I do think Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin sometimes makes a habit of poorly editorializing some of his threads in the OP, leading to some misguided comments.

The articles he references in the OP rightly note that while MS is not taking part in the official E3 2023, they have their own similar showcase planned in the same timeframe. And yet he drops this gem

As if there would be any difference in terms of reach or getting out the word between an E3 branded showcase and a MS June showcase.

Subsequently, we’ve seen multiple comments responding with the impression that there’s no June showcase.
Just throwing this out there but most people here know what they are doing including the OP as he knows most people will read the headline and run with it

Top Bottom