• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox Has Allegedly Canceled Its E3 Appearance Due To A Marketing Budget Cut

Sounds like a wet dream for you. If Sony was going to do Xbox like they did Sega, that would've happened decades ago. And it isn't for the lack of Sony trying. They've been trying this whole time.
Sony didn't do jack shit to Sega. Their downfall was a result of years of terrible decision making.
Sony was just flatout better at the console videogame market.
And they're flatout better at it than Microsoft as well, as much as some people don't want to hear it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
wat? A near $2 trillion dollar company?

Student Loans Debt GIF by INTO ACTION

consoul

Budgets are allocated. If MS don't have a budget for E3, it's because they decided it wasn't worth spending money on.

Saying they're not gonna be a big presence there because they don't have the budget is getting it the wrong way around.

They don't have money for E3 because it's not a good use of money.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Isolated directs won't give you anywhere near the eyeballs on your game a proper E3 demo would. Directs are weak for hype. But we all know the real reason they aren't coming.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Sony didn't do jack shit to Sega. Their downfall was a result of years of terrible decision making.
Sony was just flatout better at the console videogame market.
And they're flatout better at it than Microsoft as well, as much as some people don't want to hear it.
Stahp! Lol

Sony is good at what they do. All about hardware sales. Traditional business model. I agree.

Microsoft is hands down a legitimate threat to Sony with their subscription and cloud services, which is where the industry is heading. You do the math, my boy ..

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Stahp! Lol

Sony is good at what they do. All about hardware sales. Traditional business model. I agree.

Microsoft is hands down a legitimate threat to Sony with their subscription and cloud services, which is where the industry is heading. You do the math, my boy ..
What do you base this on?

DaGwaphics

Isolated directs won't give you anywhere near the eyeballs on your game a proper E3 demo would. Directs are weak for hype. But we all know the real reason they aren't coming.

Spencer has already confirmed their usual E3 style show, there is zero difference for anyone not physically at E3 whether or not MS shoots the online presentation from there. LOL

And that goes for the rest of the big 3 as well.

LRKD

As much as I love big E3s, and hate that companies are moving away from it. It completly makes sense to. Save so much money by just uploading your own 'Directs' in house and upload them periodically. It still generates a lot of fan buzz, and must be leagues cheaper.

Pedro Motta

People are overreacting, this is nothing serious, Sony and Nintendo have left E3 a long time, MS just now understood that money is better applied elsewhere. Maybe more developer directs? Hope so.

Stahp! Lol

The only time xbox was any real competition to sony was the 360/ps3 generation.
Even then the ps3 launched a year later, $200 more than the xbox, it had a processor almost no knew how to program for.......and the ps3 still equaled the 360.
Sony has subscriptions as well and they're doing quite well with them. Unless xbox gets their act together - soon - the pecking order in the console market won't be changing.

Shubh_C63

Stahp! Lol

Maybe in 10 years in good parts of the world and 15 for the remaining or maybe more.
Plenty of time to adapt I say. But I agree, I don't see subscription gaming services not getting better and better so they must pose a threat. But Cinemas as well as HBO Max exists, and both aren't going anywhere even if theaters count shrinks.

Subs for indie-AA games.
Normal delivery for AAA. (with guest appearances on Sub services for weekends as trial?)

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Stahp! Lol

imagine talking about "where the industry is heading" without actually seeing where the industry is heading.

Del_X

Starfield comes out right around e3 or shortly after. Then there’s maybe hellblade and forza with some smaller titles sprinkled in. Why bother?

Smoke6

Can you two provide some more context as to why we should put weight on what you’ve always said? Are you insiders too? Prophets?
So for years now Xbox has always said they were getting out of the console business hardware wise! We’ve yet to even see this dongle out in the wild or rumors of it since then!

As they’ve stated before, nintendo and Sony are not their competitors. Amazon and Apple are and they have streaming devices and services also and that’s where the dongle comes in at!

Take that into account and peoples not having adequate internet still

They’re losing the console race and rumors of their games and studios in shambles with holes and prayers of the activision deal going through as they want to buy their way in and their studios are having troubles.

What’s left?

Just becoming one of the biggest publishers and hoping game pass would be on every platform!

Got to love the nonsense one reads here. When SONY and Nintendo pull out of E3 that all makes sense and E3 is dead anyway. When we get rummors of MS pulling out and doing their own show they're pulling out of the console business and have no money

I rather see MS at E3, but if not it will be because they have their own show planned and not becaue XBox PR run out of money

Robb

Gold Member
If true I guess it’d make sense to put that money into better use having advertising campaigns for StarField/Redfall/Forza/Hellblade considering they actually seem to have plenty of heavy hitters this year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Got to love the nonsense one reads here. When SONY and Nintendo pull out of E3 that all makes sense and E3 is dead anyway. When we get rummors of MS pulling out and doing their own show they're pulling out of the console business and have no money

I rather see MS at E3, but if not it will be because they have their own show planned and not becaue XBox PR run out of money

It's the same with everything and I'm not sure if it will ever change....its like a constant spin of weird shit and its really confusing.

The crazy thing it's even true with people working in the industry, they love to spread this weird shit about MS at every opportunity.

No conversation about the incredible game they just released, no rallying behind that really...just a day to day rumour mill of bad news after bad news.

It's the same with everything and I'm not sure if it will ever change....its like a constant spin of weird shit and its really confusing.

The crazy thing it's even true with people working in the industry, they love to spread this weird shit about MS at every opportunity.

No conversation about the incredible game they just released, no rallying behind that really...just a day to day rumour mill of bad news after bad news.
The worst thing MS could have ever done is to make a GPU more powerful than the competition (never mind look to invest in studios) Every since then, you have the trolls looking for any reason to knock MS.

Nintendo gave up on E3 years ago and SONY hasn't bothered in years either and that's fine and has nothing to do with cuts in PR budgets. MS 'may' look to have their own show and that means they're skint and leaving the industry.,..

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
I don't get how other companies manage to dodge all these negative comments and articles. It's just relentless for MS lol

the matrix dodging GIF

It’s like a football club that can’t create a good team by itself so they’re choosing to buy all the good players and still keep on failing. Of course that tracks attention.

Rien

Jelly Belly
For sure. Fanboy trash everywhere these days. Personally I do think Xbox gets it the worst though.

Xbox deserves the worst tbh. Buying yourself to the top and still fail to deliver should be criticised more.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It’s like a football club that can’t create a good team by itself so they’re choosing to buy all the good players and still keep on failing. Of course that tracks attention.

Let's see after this year, they've already had a knockout start to the "season" you could say, and are comfortably at the top of the table.

Microsoft still does not get "it" if they are doing that. Their problem has always been marketing and people were asking them to do proper marketing, but if they decided to cut the marketing budget in time when they have a bunch of games coming then they clearly don't understand how gaming market works and marketing there should be the last thing to cut (you can sell almost everything with proper marketing).

In entertainment industry marketing in general is one of the biggest expenses and MSFT still does not get it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft still does not get "it" if they are doing that. Their problem has always been marketing and people were asking them to do proper marketing, but if they decided to cut the marketing budget in time when they have a bunch of games coming then they clearly don't understand how gaming market works and marketing there should be the last thing to cut (you can sell almost everything with proper marketing).

In entertainment industry marketing in general is one of the biggest expenses and MSFT still does not get it.

They just aren't going to e3. You will still get their developer directs at a fraction of the cost to MS.

Will probably end up better.

Gavon West

imagine talking about "where the industry is heading" without actually seeing where the industry is heading.
Tech is always moving forward. Honestly, where do you see the industry going if not subscription services and cloud? I'm not saying consoles won't always be an option, but as tech improves (this includes cloud gaming) having a plastic box under your television just won't seem rational if you can just link up to the cloud and play a game near instantly.

Not even to say that we won't be able to purchase games. But Gamepass proves the subscription model can indeed be very successful while also keeping a low barrier of entry to access a plethora of IPs.

It damn sure won't be VR. It's has years to prove itself to be the next step in gaming. Still hasn't done so. It's much too intrusive.

So..... where we going, chief? You tell me...

Gavon West

The only time xbox was any real competition to sony was the 360/ps3 generation.
Even then the ps3 launched a year later, $200 more than the xbox, it had a processor almost no knew how to program for.......and the ps3 still equaled the 360.
Sony has subscriptions as well and they're doing quite well with them. Unless xbox gets their act together - soon - the pecking order in the console market won't be changing.
Microsoft is a threat to Sony just through sheer spending power alone! I bet money when Sony found out ABK was up for sale and Sony saw how much they were asking, Sony moved onto something else the same day!

Like, "nope! Now. Let's talk about another Knack, shall we?"

Last edited:

Gavon West

So for years now Xbox has always said they were getting out of the console business hardware wise! We’ve yet to even see this dongle out in the wild or rumors of it since then!

As they’ve stated before, nintendo and Sony are not their competitors. Amazon and Apple are and they have streaming devices and services also and that’s where the dongle comes in at!

Take that into account and peoples not having adequate internet still

They’re losing the console race and rumors of their games and studios in shambles with holes and prayers of the activision deal going through as they want to buy their way in and their studios are having troubles.

What’s left?

Just becoming one of the biggest publishers and hoping game pass would be on every platform!
Haha! No, my boy. I think you just lack imagination.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

So, like almost every football club then ? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Tech is always moving forward. Honestly, where do you see the industry going if not subscription services and cloud? I'm not saying consoles won't always be an option, but as tech improves (this includes cloud gaming) having a plastic box under your television just won't seem rational if you can just link up to the cloud and play a game near instantly.

Not even to say that we won't be able to purchase games. But Gamepass proves the subscription model can indeed be very successful while also keeping a low barrier of entry to access a plethora of IPs.

It damn sure won't be VR. It's has years to prove itself to be the next step in gaming. Still hasn't done so. It's much too intrusive.

this ain't......Master Chief.

read the subtext of the room my dude.

Topher

Gold Member

Phil Spencer has said himself that Game Pass is 10-15% of game content revenue for Xbox and he doesn't expect that to change. You say VR hasn't proven itself, and I agree, but really neither has game streaming. But even if/when game streaming becomes more prevalent with the masses this is only going to broaden the industry not replace existing segments. So I don't think we are talking about transformative technology regardless if it is VR or game streaming.

Right now, to me, where we are going looks a lot like where we are.

Gavon West

this ain't......Master Chief.

read the subtext of the room my dude.
I am, my boy! As I said before, cloud and subscription services is CLEARLY where it's all heading.

I'd be so bold as to say, consoles may move to something like the Switch permanently, only much more powerful instead of the huge boxes we get now. A device like this, It can be mobile and/or stationary next to your television, and have much improved cloud capabilities. A device like this would be much cheaper to manufacture, and a hell of a lot more convenient for consumers.

Granted, (mind you, all of this is on a hypothetical) none of this will happen for another few years but, once digital is more accepted, and hard copies phase out, its possible imo.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I am, my boy! As I said before, cloud and subscription services is CLEARLY where it's all heading.

I'd be so bold as to say, consoles may move to something like the Switch, only much more powerful instead of the huge boxes we get now. It can be mobile and stationary next to your television, and have much improved cloud capabilities. A device like this would be much cheaper to manufacture, and a hell of a lot more convenient for consumers.

Granted, (mind you, all of this is on a hypothetical) none of this will happen for another few years but, once digital is more accepted, and hard copies phase out, its possible imo.

Stahp! Lol

well my child...have you seen the numbers?

Gavon West

Phil Spencer has said himself that Game Pass is 10-15% of game content revenue for Xbox and he doesn't expect that to change. You say VR hasn't proven itself, and I agree, but really neither has game streaming. But even if/when game streaming becomes more prevalent with the masses this is only going to broaden the industry not replace existing segments. So I don't think we are talking about transformative technology regardless if it is VR or game streaming.

Right now, to me, where we are going looks a lot like where we are.
Hard disagree. Tech simply doesn't work that way. There may be some similarities, not many. The landscape WILL change. It has to. That's just how technology works.

Top Bottom