• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Amazon has reportedly bought Tomb Raider franchise (Update:) Tomb Raider leased out for 600 million Krona (57 million USD)

Kacho

Gold Member
If true, I'm guessing they want the IP more for movies/tv shows and less for games. Unless they're shifting their gaming business from an MMO focus to more single player experiences. I dunno it's a weird purchase. The IP has value but it's not something I'd expect a large corpo to have interest in.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
$600 is big money and the franchise just fell into amazons lap outside of uncharted tomb raider dominates the third person treasure hunting genre.

I could see Amazon making pretty good Movie/TV adaptations if they give them to the right team. Unfortunately they will probably botch it like they did with LOTR or Wheel of Time. It blows my mind that they can completely nail some shows (Reacher or The Boys) and then waste some of their best IP with terrible writers. The other thing is I don't trust them to release a decent game at all. I guess they would outsource development????

Wildebeest

Pay 600 million extra for a dated franchise where AAA development budgets don't even reliably allow you to turn a profit.

diffusionx

Gold Member
All these companies care about these days is getting IP to throw at the screen. They dont give a shit about quality as we see from their output all the time. That said this price is insane unless they’re getting a nearly finished game (I dont think they are) and a nearly finished movie out of it.

Luc2010

I don't have faith in Amazon. They will just ruin Lara's character further. She will probably be non binary or something. LOL

NickFire

Pay 600 million extra for a dated franchise where AAA development budgets don't even reliably allow you to turn a profit.
This is how I feel about the rumor. I just can't see why someone would invest that much, for the privilege of paying countless millions to hopefully turn a profit. I might be wrong, have been before and will be again, but this IP does not strike me as something that carries sufficient water for that kind of investment and risk. I just don't know of anyone who feels passionate about it.

Hero_Select

Amazon doesn't inspire confidence unfortunately.

I liked the first few ep. of RoP but then (even as someone who hasn't read the books) the show just meandered around and then tried to speed everything up in the last ep. I hated it.

spartan30gr

Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

Square enix right now

Top Bottom