• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rurula Ra Rura - a dumb rare Metroidvania game...but what are other obscure Vania's?

VGEsoterica

If you know me at all from these threads you know I love obscure AF games. The types of games 99/100 have just straight up never heard of. I especially love when I mention one and someone goes and plays it and finds a new game to enjoy. Like a weird gaming sommelier lol

I also legit LOVE Metroidvania games...so when a game hits that "obscure as hell" category while also being a GOOD game in a genre I love...it's even better

So let me introduce Rurula Ra Rura; hard to pronounce but super fun to play and enjoy! Yes it's a bit of an ugly game but once you get past the less than stellar graphics its a legit intriguing Metroidvania game on a console barely anyone has ever played. It's got some shades of Castlevania III with new character discovery / switching an a fully open map that lets you go in pretty much any direction you want...until you hit an obstacle you CANT bypass until you obtain the right character / power up to move forward. Classic Metroidvania formula on a console you'd NEVER expect it to appear on. Plus it emulates perfectly so you DONT have to be like me an own an original console lol

Plus its been translated to english which means you literally have zero obstructions to play it, which is a LOT more than you can say for most obscure and rare Japanese exclusive games.

But I'd love to hear some other DEEP CUT Metroidvania recommendations as I am always looking for more. What do you have for me GAF?

VGEsoterica template:

[GAME TITLE] - A rare and obscure [GAME TYPE] ... but what are other [GAME TYPE]?

First post: modified YT video description

Second post: YT link

I like your content, I just don't get how these threads are not a violation E. Self-Promotion and Spam? Especially when they are so clearly templates designed to drive traffic to your (I assume monetized) YT videos?

EDIT: Below, VGEsoterica focuses on the fact that he's not making much money. It's still self-promotion. Why does he get an exemption from the rules?

X3G8qkb.png

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica template:

[GAME TITLE] - A rare and obscure [GAME TYPE] ... but what are other [GAME TYPE]?

I like your content, I just don't get how these threads are not a violation E. Self-Promotion and Spam? Especially when they are so clearly templates designed to drive traffic to your (I assume monetized) YT videos?
X3G8qkb.png
Lol I just genuinely enjoy talking about rare / obscure stuff and people seem to enjoy it. I also try to actively participate here

if you think I am making money off these lolol...time/hardware/software vs revenue? I LOSE a fortune showing off rare and obscure stuff. Like on the order of 10X minimum per video usually.

I'll make $7-10 dollars off a video that took at least a few hours AND in a lot of instances some $$ to make. Worst business model ever :messenger_tears_of_joy:

but seriously I love bringing new/obscure/weird etc games to new people and giving some love to the unloved stuff out there. That's really it. Oh and preservation and beta dumping...I do that too. Hence the "lose tons of money" part....buy a rare undumped beta, make a video, make $10...spend $500 to make that ten spot !

jaysius

Banned

Ender Lililes is criminally underrated! What an amazing and wacky game.

I haven't played Grime though.

I wasn't a huge fan of Gato, I forget why, but it was completely meh for me.

Also OP, you can EDIT your posts AND you can PUT VIDEOS into your FIRST POST, especially when the thread YOU MADE is about said content.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Escape from Tethys

Old school and difficult at times. Surprised by how much I enjoyed it and it's quite obscure.

Actual Metroidvania BTW.

lachesis

I mean you probably know more about all the classics - but here are my few favorite ones from MSX.

Knightmare II: The Maze of Gallius by Konami (1987)
(NES also had this game, but different and tbh, inferior)

Dragon Slayer IV - Drasley Family by Falcom (1987)
(Legacy of the wizard for NES)

USAS by Konami (1987)
(This game really really looked good for its time... plus that sound! SCC Chip!)

Well, as you can tell, 1987 was a very transformative year for me in terms of gaming. :)

Last edited:

Deft Beck

VGEsoterica template:

EDIT: Below, VGEsoterica focuses on the fact that he's not making much money. It's still self-promotion. Why does he get an exemption from the rules?

X3G8qkb.png
I think it brings some life into an otherwise slow forum, dude.

VGEsoterica

I mean you probably know more about all the classics - but here are my few favorite ones from MSX.

Knightmare II: The Maze of Gallius by Konami (1987)
(NES also had this game, but different and tbh, inferior)

Dragon Slayer IV - Drasley Family by Falcom (1987)
(Legacy of the wizard for NES)

USAS by Konami (1987)
(This game really really looked good for its time... plus that sound! SCC Chip!)

Well, as you can tell, 1987 was a very transformative year for me in terms of gaming. :)

Glad I am not the only one who loves MSX!

Pejo

If you can get used to the artstyle, it's a fantastic game in this genre that has multiple characters for alternate playthroughs and satisfying combat.

Sethbacca

Nobody has mentioned the Guacamelee games yet, those are a ton of fun. Not sure they're rare or unusual though.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A few more:

Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

Shin Megami Tensei Synchronicity

Both are from short to very short, and have that Ikaruga like mechanic of switching polarities to avoid getting hit.

Top Bottom