• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Fuck Putin, and Xi too (Xi is a POS, who supports the war)

Three Chinese banks have already rejected Russia's requests to start a new payment system, analysts believe China wants Russia to be heavily damaged so as to devour it​

renderTimingPixel.png

formiche.net/2022/0...

Tams

And today's throwing of toys from the pram by Russia has begun... :rolleyes:

I may reverse those comments, considering I have no hatred towards Johnson (actually don't care much about him especially now that Brexit is done). As a matter of fact I reacted to a message that was a criticism towards EU ("how come people complain against Brexit when UK is the first to offer military support !"), as I was pointing out that all members of EU already had a de-facto defense agreement, and that the new agreement from UK was just reinstating the one that was cancelled by Brexit.
Then it's even more baffling that made that ignorant and wrong comment.

I'm not sure why you'd own up to that.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I would personally read the eu treaty bit more as a general commitment to mutual solidarity and not certainly as a hard mutual defense commitment. The EU (and europeists in general imho) would rather finally see the EU army realized than turn the EU into a defense pact.

You have to realize the core tennet of the EU is to change international relations between members from quid pro quo style to “let’s do the same together” style.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
The biggest loser is Russia. The biggest winner hmmmmm... USA?
Yep. USA is winning. The longer this keeps going the more weapons they sell not to just Ukraine, but also other countries beefing up their defences. All the while one of their main enemies is burning through their weapons, men and cash piles. Double whammy.

Last edited:

Tomi

Question for people who know something about NATO and joining

Can Putin for example before Finland joins NATO, attack Finland and announce war operations in Finland teritory and on that way block Finland to enter Nato?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Russia may withdraw from Ukraine and stop the bs I’m sure there’s some Russian politicians planning an exit.

Sakura

Can Putin for example before Finland joins NATO, attack Finland and announce war operations in Finland teritory and on that way block Finland to enter Nato?
Technically yes.
But currently Russia doesn't have the military capability to be able to wage war against both Finland and Ukraine.
If Russia did try to wage war on Finland, not only would they lose there, but it would also result in them losing in Ukraine (not to mention the domestic fallout) so there is no way Russia would do that.

Yes, it would prevent them. But ask yourself, why only threats about it?

Because, it would end like this for Ruzzia

excited ralph wiggum GIF

Rival

Gold Member

Sure he could attack them but Finland has a huge amount of artillery which would easily strike in Russian territory and a pretty large reserve force so unless Putin has decided it’s time to go nuclear then he’s sending his sheep to slaughter. Plus they are pretty busy getting their asses kicked in Ukraine.

Sure he could attack them but Finland has a huge amount of artillery which would easily strike in Russian territory and a pretty large reserve force so unless Putin has decided it’s time to go nuclear then he’s sending his sheep to slaughter. Plus they are pretty busy getting their asses kicked in Ukraine.
Like that's ever stopped him...

It would take months to actually join Nato anyway, even if fast tracked, so if he wanted to attack, nows the time without drawing the whole of Europe into war, although after today, Boris saying he'd help Finland and Sweden with the UK's military if anything happened, its starting to sound like the Poland situation in 1939, especially if Finlands talks with France, Spain, Germany and Turkey end in the same defence agreements in the coming days or weeks

He either attacks right away and "only" has to deal with Finland and UK, or waits and has other European countries signing up to defence pacts, or does nothing and let's Finland join Nato. He has no good options really

I'd love to see him make the mistake of trying to pick a fight though

Braag

Not gonna lie.. I'm a bit anxious about Finland's NATO application. If Russia decides to do something crazy, our lives here are gonna change drastically. But we'll see, I still see joining NATO as the only option to be able to live without constant fear. I hope this madness is over soon.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Not gonna lie.. I'm a bit anxious about Finland's NATO application. If Russia decides to do something crazy, our lives here are gonna change drastically. But we'll see, I still see joining NATO as the only option to be able to live without constant fear. I hope this madness is over soon.
The only options Russia has in response would make everything for them immensely worse

Nah, you'll be good, the Finns put up one hell of a defence against the idiots last time they tried to take over, and you were vastly outgunned back then. Now everyone knows the state of the Russian military, I'd suggest any prepared western military would not just stand up to Russia, but be able to repel them back to the wastelands and you could reclaim that lost land you had to cede over to them back then too! 😂

Chittagong

Gold Member

Mental. I thought this is another nobody, but turns out he is the mad lad who shot down MH17 and became the “Defence Minister” of the “Donetsk People Republic”. Spicy.

What’s even more mad is that ostensibly Putin could have easily just picked up the phone and gone “yo Igor, my man Sergei say dem Ukrainians, they moist for us to roll in, ya feel me?” but that never happened for some reason.

Gp1

Mental. I thought this is another nobody, but turns out he is the mad lad who shot down MH17 and became the “Defence Minister” of the “Donetsk People Republic”. Spicy.

What’s even more mad is that ostensibly Putin could have easily just picked up the phone and gone “yo Igor, my man Sergei say dem Ukrainians, they moist for us to roll in, ya feel me?” but that never happened for some reason.

Let me tell a little secret...
The head of the entire Russian military machine never commanded an army. That can explain a lot of this clusterfuck.

Top Bottom