• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Wildebeest

China selling drones the Ukrainians are using to scout infantry positions and also the hardware Russians are using to track the drone operators, so they can counter-attack. Classic China.

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Question for people who know something about NATO and joining

Can Putin for example before Finland joins NATO, attack Finland and announce war operations in Finland teritory and on that way block Finland to enter Nato?
the UK has recently signed a defense Pact with Finland and besides, i really wouldnt worry about Russians opening up another front against the Finns who would be more than capable of kicking them out, they've shown their army ain't worth shit

Raven117

Exactly which side is Macron on? France continues to be a disappointment.

France has long considered themselves the “diplomat.” French is often referred to as the language of diplomacy. So, they are trying to find the deal to be made. It’s not two face, I think Macron is a little naive and a little how can we get this to stop immediately.

Facism

It strikes me as continued naivety rather than two-faced
Nah macron had no problem supporting Russia and warlord haftar in Libya whilst trying to blockade humanitarian and deadly aid routes to the legitimate un recognised government. Man is a cunt

GymWolf

If they by some miracle muster enough men for an attack.

Good luck.

I bet there is lots of fun stuff hidden in the deep forests of Finland. :messenger_heart:

Is that some kind of test or they are attackng someone? It looks lile that scene from iron man 1...

How much money did they wasted in like 30 seconds? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sure he could attack them but Finland has a huge amount of artillery which would easily strike in Russian territory ahis ownnd a pretty large reserve force so unless Putin has decided it’s time to go nuclear then he’s sending his sheep to slaughter. Plus they are pretty busy getting their asses kicked in Ukraine.
He doesn't give 2 fucks about slaughtering his own men.

Cyberpunkd

France has long considered themselves the “diplomat.” French is often referred to as the language of diplomacy. So, they are trying to find the deal to be made. It’s not two face, I think Macron is a little naive and a little how can we get this to stop immediately.
Also consider that unfortunately all of French political class has supported Russia historically for one reason or the other. Russophilia , history with the Russian Empire, etc. It’s sad actually.

Forsete

Zapraszamy, skurwysyny.

Liberation of Pytomnyk:

Hey bro. Where did you find that video? I want to share it but unable to find a link.

Is that some kind of test or they are attackng someone? It looks lile that scene from iron man 1...

How much money did they wasted in like 30 seconds? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

It was probably an exercise... and a bit of show of force I bet. ;)

Troops need experience in using the real weapons, so worth the cost. :p

Last edited:

Nico_D

Not gonna lie.. I'm a bit anxious about Finland's NATO application. If Russia decides to do something crazy, our lives here are gonna change drastically. But we'll see, I still see joining NATO as the only option to be able to live without constant fear. I hope this madness is over soon.

Take it easy, nothing's going to happen. Except for cyber attack, airspace violations and general bullshit. Like it's been for years and years before.

Cyberpunkd

Well at least Chinese people have their shit together, if not their government.
Chinese people do what the government tells them to, so the most likely scenario is government saying one thing officially supporting Russia (because for China this is a possible test for Taiwan), at the same time they want Russia as much dependant on China as possible.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Chinese people do what the government tells them to, so the most likely scenario is government saying one thing officially supporting Russia (because for China this is a possible test for Taiwan), at the same time they want Russia as much dependant on China as possible.
Possibly, but it's good shit in any case. Also can't imagine Russia being some big importer of Chinese goods. After all they are poor as fuck.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Winnie The Pooh isn't stupid. He can see Russia’s very bleak short term future, and fully intends to pick the carcass clean as soon as he gets the chance.

How a reconstituted Russia exists between west and east will be a defining aspect of foreign policy in the coming years.

Tams

Let these weapons flow

Those Brimstone missiles are fucking bonkers. That they've been bodged onto any old chassis is insane (though not surprising as launchers have been attached to helicopters).

You really don't want to be around wherever they are targeting. They communicate with each other to choose the best targets.

Nikodemos

If only the frogs and the krauts could get their heads out of their arses.
Both Macron and Scholz are under severe pressure from their respective countries' corporation heads, because of the (thoroughly unwise) exposure French and German companies have on the Russian market.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Putin threatened Poland now? That's a full-blown NATO nation, with a NATO military and backing. He's largely failing to meet any objectives against Ukraine and he thinks he could roll into Poland next? His entire force would be lit up like a Christmas tree by a barrage of cruise missiles and drone strikes before they even had a chance to gather across the border.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

Historical Comparison: Finland's Winter War vs Russian Invasion of Ukraine​

I have been reading about the Winter War in past few months as part of my work on a book about Finnish small arms, and I have been really struck by the similarity in images of that fighting and the current war in Ukraine. I'd like to take a few minutes today to talk about the similarities - and differences - between Ukraine and Finland's fighting against Russian and Soviet invasion.​
Both invasions were launched over Russian/Soviet concern over border security, and both with attempts at false flag attacks as justification. In both cases the Russian/Soviet forces were vastly overconfident in their ability to quickly defeat their opponents, and in both cases they expected to be met with significant Finnish.Ukrainian domestic support. In both cases, those assumptions were completely mistaken, and the invasions instead solidly unified the defenders instead of dividing them. In both cases the defending forces has significantly less air and armor strength that the invading forces.​
In the end of the Winter War, Finland's military managed to hold on just barely long enough to conclude an armistice - although they were days or weeks away from complete collapse on the Karelian Isthmus at the end. The treaty cost them about 10% of Finland's sovereign territory, but they retained their independence. A similar outcome is a definite possibility in Ukraine, although Ukraine today has a few major advantages the Finns did not have.​
First, international opinion has been massively unified behind Ukraine, and huge amounts of military aid have been send to Ukraine very quickly. In 1939/1940, European assistance was essentially limited to a few thousand volunteer troops from Sweden. France and Britain both talked about sending expeditionary forces to assist Finland, but these were really attempts to block German access to Swedish iron ore and not genuine attempts to assist Finland. In any case, they did not actually happen. Finland spent the entire war desperately short of antitank weapons, and depended on land mines and Molotov cocktails. Ukraine, on the other hand, has been supplied with thousands of modern antitank and antiaircraft missile systems and used them to great effect.​
Second, Ukraine is a much larger country than Finland. With the retreat of Russian forces from Kyiv, Ukraine has strategic options that Finland did not. Finland was forced to defend the fixed defences of the Mannerheim Line in a type of warfare that allowed the Soviet forces to concentrate and exploit their advantages in artillery and armor. If the Mannerheim Line fell, Helsinki because essentially defenceless and the war would quickly be lost. Finland had much better military success in the north, where they could retreat and trade territory for time and ambush opportunities. Ukraine does not have an equivalent to the Mannerheim Line, and can be more flexible in its defense. This does not guarantee victory, of course, but it gives them options Finland did not have.​

Top Bottom