• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian parliament backs ban on "gay propaganda"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's parliament backed a draft law on Friday banning "homosexual propaganda" in what critics see as an attempt to shore up support for President Vladimir Putin in the country's largely conservative society.

"We live in Russia, not Sodom and Gomorrah," United Russia deputy Dmitry Sablin said before the 388-1 vote in the 450-seat chamber. Sablin said Russia is an old country "founded on its own traditional values - the protection of which is dearer to me than even oil and gas."

Only one deputy in the State Duma lower house voted against the bill, but passions spilled over outside the chamber, where 20 people were detained after scuffles between Russian Orthodox Christians and gay activists who staged a "kiss-in" protest.

More at source.

After seeing his popularity crater among most demographics in Russia, Putin's playing one of the oldest tricks in the "Dictator's Handbook"- pander to the very religious crowd.

Why do the Republicans hate Russia so much again? Surely from their perspective Putin is living their dream.

And yet, it's the "progressive" types that usually defend him...

I want to know about that heroic single opposing vote. Who that was?
image.php

GCX

I spent my childhood a few miles from the Russian border, so happy it wasn't on the Russian side.

leroidys

In the oughts there was actually some progress on gay rights. Marches were organized, people came out, gay clubs were opened... Now the government of the major cities and the federal government are doing all they can to crush it.

PJV3

Reminds me of the stupid section 28 law we had in the UK.
Russia will get past this nonsense at some point.

Someone remind me again how communist russia is different from non-communist russia cause I'm not seeing a difference.

Well, the brand of authoritarianism is different. I honestly feel that Putin's Russia has more common with Tsarist Russia than the Soviet Union.

It is crazy how much power the Orthodox Church gained after the fall of the Soviet Union. The Russian government is strongly connected with the church. The current state of Russia is almost like a hyperbolic version of America where a handful of corrupt billionaires control the country along with the church serving as a guiding force.

At least based off the protests over a past few years in Russia it seems the public mood for reform is slowly making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom