• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RX 7900XTX and 7900XT review thread

winjer

Gold Member

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

relative-performance-rt_3840-2160.png

Last edited:

Xyphie

So looks like the rumors of the card being a technical failure are true unfortunately. Only trading blows with the RTX 4080 is raster performance is a huge failure for this card from a technical perspective as the entire goal of a chiplet-based GPU approach was to make more economical products, yet nVidia is able to equal/beat their top card with a lower BOM product. The saving grace would be if the card is actually available for the promised $1000 and not just marketing shenanigans in limited quantities/promotional pricing which seems to be the norm for GPU vendors these days.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Greta that it’s a little better than 4080 at raster games (witch all run at obscene fps anyways). To bad can’t keep up with RT stuff when that the only thing you would need a new gpu for.

Team green takes another gen.

Looks plenty fast, what's up with those "underdelivered" clickbait thumbnails
Wrong. It is a disappointment why?

1) This is the first time Nvidia is ahead of AMD in hardware term.

2) Generation to Generation it is very low performance.

3) RTX 3090 TI last gen card is on par with AMD's second high end GPU RX 7900 XT.

4) AMD will shortfall of performance will increase when Nvidia will launch RTX 4080 TI and RTX 4090 Ti

GHG

Gold Member
what are you smoking?

At 4k the top model is barely outperforming the 4080.

It needed to be closer to the 4090 in terms of performance to get people to switch. Nvidia might not even need to drop the price of the 4080 as thing stand due to the RT performance and additional features.

In a vacuum these cards perform well but overall they needed to do better if they want to make a dent on Nvidia's market share.

Last edited:
sounds like you set up yourself for disappointment, this is exactly what I expected after the reveal; looks completely fine perfomance/cost/tdp wise.
You should check out AMD yahoo Finance and reddit. It is a meltdown.

When AMD is making jokes on power slot rather than performance than it means that it ha nothing to show.

GHG

Gold Member
Trades blows with a 4080 and is cheaper

Looks like a good option for people to stay under a certain budget

Agreed but let's be honest, if you're spending $1k on a GPU you're unlikely to be overly budget conscious.

It also depends on what features are important to you.

I don't know, personally I was expecting more, let's see how things evolve as AMD's drivers do. That tends to be where they have shown strength in recent years.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
We really cant have nice things huh? Nvidia fucking consumers, AMD just being a fucking loser most of the time, scalpers, mining, etc. Good days are forever gone. Time to throw away my 1440p monitors and go back to 1080p and just get cheaper models cuz I cant afford to waste so much money for such meh performances. At almost 1k I should be running games at 8k easily but nah.

GHG

Gold Member
If anyone wants to have an argument that prices on nVidia side was % wise pumped too much. Seems like 6XXX were a far better deal.
RzOskwf.png

Yep the AMD 6 series is where the value is now. The prices of the 6800XT and 6900XT have come down to insane levels. No doubt they will sell out very quickly now that these results are in though.

For the people who thought that RDNA 3 is more power efficient than Nvidia ada.

RTX 4080 is more power efficient than RX 7900 XT leave alone XTX.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yep the AMD 6 series is where the value is now. The prices of the 6800XT and 6900XT have come down to insane levels. No doubt they will sell out very quickly now that these results are in though.
I was really surprised, how well actually the 6k line fared in the test graphs.

And basically the RT is still unusable on AMD, so if you aren't rocking 144hz panel without gsync/free sync you aren't really loosing that much now.

FingerBang

Woah, that's disappointing. Not because these cards don't beat the 4090 and not whether they're better value compared to Nvidia but based on AMD'S FUCKING NUMBERS.

Up to 1.7x from the 6950, 1.5 on average? Seems more like 1.25/3 for a price increase. What the hell happened there?

M1chl

Also the argument about power consumption is sort of weird, because if you don't have GPU at 100%, AMD card will likely suck more from the wall, albeit on idle. Which is something. I am sure that EU are going to be interested.

marquimvfs

At 4k the top model is barely outperforming the 4080.

It needed to be closer to the 4090 in terms of performance to get people to switch. Nvidia might not even need to drop the price of the 4080 as thing stand due to the RT performance and additional features.

In a vacuum these cards perform well but overall they needed to do better if they want to make a dent on Nvidia's market share.
Well, considering cost, it is a good deal. Nvidia fanboys won't switch brands anyway, so I bet that AMD didn't even considered "to get people to switch". People used to buy Nvidia will expect AMD to make good products only to force Nvidia to drop theyr prices to buy Nvidia anyways. You look like one of those.

Last edited:
Also the argument about power consumption is sort of weird, because if you don't have GPU at 100%, AMD card will likely suck more from the wall, albeit on idle. Which is something. I am sure that EU are going to be interested.
In short, Nvidia is ahead of everything. AMD made some users believe that RDNA 3 is massive efficient ,however, the story gone otherwise that even RX 7900 XT is using more power than RTX 4080.

M1chl

In short, Nvidia is ahead of everything. AMD made some users believe that RDNA 3 is massive efficient ,however, the story gone otherwise that even RX 7900 XT is using more power than RTX 4080.
Also always on fans. I have tinnitus thus hate the whoosh sound, if it's not from jet engine, then it's symphony to me.

Being aviation nerd, has its kinks

M1chl

Also wonder how durable will AMD cards be, since the on-die memory have tendency to die quicker.

GHG

Gold Member
Well, considering cost, it is a good deal. Nvidia fanboys won't switch branda anyway, so I bet that AMD even considered "to get peopleto switch". People used to buy Nvidia will only expect AMD to make good products only to force Nvidia to drop theyr prices to buy Nvidia anywas. You look like one of those.

Nope, I have both a 4080 and a 4090 in my hands at the moment, I was not waiting around for price drops. Keeping the 4090 and the only debate was whether I would return the 4080 and get a 7900XT/X instead for a HTPC build I'm planning.

No point in saying what I'm going to do now because I'm pretty sure it will upset some people for whatever reason.

AMD needed to do more. As things stand, things are priced pretty linearly if you combine the 4k raster and 4K RT results and average them out. These products do not upset the current stack unless you don't care at all for RT.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nope, I have both a 4080 and a 4090 in my hands at the moment, I was not waiting around for price drops. Keeping the 4090 and the only debate was whether I would return the 4080 and get a 7900XT/X instead for a HTPC build I'm planning.

No point in saying what I'm going to do now because I'm pretty sure it will upset some people for whatever reason.

AMD needed to do more. As things stand, things are priced pretty linearly if you combine the 4k raster and 4K RT results and average them out. These products do not upset the current stack unless you don't care at all for RT.
I guess it comes down to if someone wants RT they spend at least $200 more for the 4080 but for some the performance might be "good enough" to say fuck you to Nvidia

marquimvfs

These products do not upset the current stack unless you don't care at all for RT.
Kinda true, but that's what reasonable people were waiting, so it's not a disappointment. I get that, if you like RT and also already have a 4080, there's no point in returning it and changing. But, let's be honest, it's far from a disappointment.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Looks really good imo. What did people expect?

Nvidia in trouble because the card hits 4GHz?
oh i don't know, a monster?
3% away from 4090?

Funny how we went from Nvidia killer, to within spitting distance of 4090, to oh shit wait, they're aiming for 4080, to now basically a 4080 equivalent card in rasterization with 4080 at STOCK clocks and better power consumptions. This atrociously priced butchered AD103 die that is an assault to anything good, ending up actually priced reasonably well against AMD's flagship.

We went from $999 6900XT competing against $1499 3090 last gen, trading blows, to this? RDNA 2 was better. I guess the saving grave for that gen was that Nvidia was stuck on Samsung.

There's no way internally that they started RDNA 3 with the intention of only competing with the AD103.

379 mm² - 315W
vs
531 mm² - 350W

2% difference in rasterization, -16% in RT (avg with many light ray tracing titles, -35% for Cyberpunk 2077, and that's before overdrive patch..)

What the hell?

Good for you i guess. I mean it seems the expectations of AMD being good here is that AMD is simply not Nvidia lol.

This card is making a case to sell 4080s, the ridiculously priced 4080 that is meant to sell 4090s and reduce ampere stock, it's making a case to sell the fucking thing because some peoples will see the price difference and say fuck it, RT's worth it, DLSS's worth it.

It's making a case that both are terrible values. If 4080 should be priced in as per 3080, then this is should also be at 6800XT price.

Hurray i guess. Man, we need intel to step it up if this is the state of things..

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
If you expected 7900XTX at $1000 to compete with 4090 at $1600, you were smoking crack. AMD was clear that this was a 4080 competitor a month ago…

AMD Radeon RX 7900 vs. GeForce RTX 4080

The company is convincing fans Radeon RX 7900 series is a better choice than NVIDIA’s upcoming RTX 40 GPU.

Just 2 days ahead of the RTX 4080 launch AMD decided to steal some attention from NVIDIA by sharing more details on their new RX 7900 series. These cards are based on 3rd Generation RDNA architecture featuring up to 6144 Stream Processors.

AMD cards are physically smaller, and they do not require any (problematic) power dongles. The company already confirmed their Radeon RX 7900 series will compete with the RTX 4080 SKU, leaving no doubt that RTX 4090 will remain the fastest gaming card for now.

[Radeon RX 7900 XTX] is designed to go against 4080 and we don’t have benchmarks numbers on 4080. That’s the primary reason why you didnt see any NVIDIA compares. […] $999 card is not a 4090 competitor, which costs 60% more, this is a 4080 competitor.

— Frank Azor to PCWorld

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Honestly, I am abit disappointed.

They are about the same performance as 4080 ( aside from MW2 where Nvidia got a beating ), the other games are about neck and neck with the 4080 (but more in favor of the 7900xtx)

and the ray tracing is just the same or worse than 3090ti.

When it comes to buying 1000$ video card, honestly paying 200$ to get better ray tracing, better drivers, less heat and less power and DLSS 2/3.... ehh i dunno

the 4080 is still a stupidly priced card, but as I said, when are you paying 1000$.. how bad is an extra 200$?

however, you will not find any of those cards at MSRP so who cares at this point lol.

756805.jpg

damn lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom