• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan McCaffrey on Unlocked: There is nothing here (XSX launch lineup) that says I need to spend $500 dollars on XSX. Launch games

Do you find the Xbox Series S|X launch lineup disappointing?

• Total voters

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think you are severely underestimating how many current PS4 owners want to upgrade right now as well as the amount of new potential PS owners
The demand for this thing is unprecedented and it doesn't seem like it is dying down anytime soon
Yes it's a new console but it's more than that IMO

I just said dont read into it and expressed that it will still sell a shit ton.

Or did my post come off as being sarcastic or something?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Destiny only thing this year I would play on the new consoles really. That patch doesn’t hit till December.

Wet fart launch all around.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
First, there is nothing discussed on this site that is a "need".

Second, people keep misconstruing why one world would want to upgrade to Series X and that is to play the vast catalog of Gamepass games on good hardware with better framerates.

Third, Series X is not geared towards the exclusives crowd. It's geared towards the hardcore that want the best hardware and lots of times those same people will own multiple consoles anyways.

Fourth, Xbox is shifting to a subscription based gaming platform as it's primary focus. This means that exclusive games aren't expected nor required to sell the system.

This is a misguided poll.

That last sentence is wrong, they still need strong 1st party exclusive games to drive customers to game pass. It's one of the primary reasons I am a game pass subscriber - and I'm sure it is for many others.

MarkMe2525

I was surprised by this opinion coming from him. He has always been very hyped about all things Xbox.
I think it's just a fact. People who buy a console based on launch lineups are not gonna be sold on Xbox. I would assume most people preordering, like myself, are looking at future capability and the large number of newly aquired 1st party studios.

I tell you what, if they haven't done such a good job with enhancing my current library, I would wait.

I still see value in picking up an XSX.

If you're someone that skipped much of the last console generation, an XSX with Gamepass is a great and inexpensive way to catch up on a lot of games. And the console sets you up really well for the next generation.

MrS

Banned
Ugh...I was hoping at least Forza would be ready.
It's bizarre that it isn't! They seem completely unprepared for new gen in terms of games. I can't be too harsh on them as Covid has changed the landscape considerably but of all their IP, I'd have put money on Forza being a nailed on launch game.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
It's really fucking annoying seeing Xbox influencers and fans alike trying to push their "yeah we have no launch games" and try to associate it with playstation's launch.

Like cut that shit out and stop trying to save face.
Yes, the Xbox launch is dire, but that doesn't mean the PlayStation launch is also dire. Stop grouping together.
When in fact, the ps-5's launch is the best PlayStation launch lineup in history.

teezzy

Banned
Saying both launches are disappointing is kinda like being an "All Lives Matter" dummy. Yes both launch line ups suck, but Series X line up sucks by itself too.

Kinda makes me think about why launch lineups are so valuable to consoles anyhow. It's not like GPU launches for PCs ever have exclusives and things like that. You can just play current games better.

I have all kinds of thoughts.

I agree with First Party Studios being lacklustre and delayed post launch creating disappointment .

I disagree with Ryan's statement about nothing to spend your dollars on though. Going from 1080p to 4K 60-120fps HDR with gamepass on your new console along with BC games and third party titles there is more than enough launch excitement to be had. Having a whole library of your current games and gamepass you can simply enjoy the best your TV and games can push out. Is it a premium buy in right now? Sure, yes it is when talking about the X. I'm happy enough with what I have to play at the quality and value for my dollars. I'm very happy with the Xbox offering over the next couple/few years and keen on being an early adopter to support that.

It's really fucking annoying seeing Xbox influencers and fans alike trying to push their "yeah we have no launch games" and try to associate it with playstation's launch.

Yes, the Xbox launch is dire, but that doesn't mean the PlayStation launch is also dire. Stop grouping together.
When in fact, the ps-5's launch is the best PlayStation launch lineup in history.
It's no more annoying than the whole "Best Eva" rhetoric with the PS5 lineup. Demon's Souls is the only highly anticipated game that can't be played on another platform, unlesss it's the PS3. Nothing else had launch dates except GOW which was 2021 and it's most likely also cross gen.

THEAP99

Banned
It's no more annoying than the whole "Best Eva" rhetoric with the PS5 lineup. Demon's Souls is the only highly anticipated game that can't be played on another platform, unlesss it's the PS3. Nothing else had launch dates except GOW which was 2021 and it's most likely also cross gen.
But it is indeed the best console launch lineup PlayStation has ever had, that is a fact. And another fact is that xbox orientated people are trying to spread their "We sadly have a weak launch" onto the ps-5.

PlayStation has 5 first party titles for launch. Which is more than they even had in 2018 or 2017. So yes, Sony prepared themselves for this launch and it's therefore the best launch a PlayStation console has ever had.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
That last sentence is wrong, they still need strong 1st party exclusive games to drive customers to game pass. It's one of the primary reasons I am a game pass subscriber - and I'm sure it is for many others.

No it isn't. It's from the horses mouth themselves. That is not the direction they are going.

Now you can argue that strategy is wrong, but that's the strategy. It's fact
How is it wrong? Microsoft said it themselves. They are not relying of exclusives. Period.

You can argue the strategy is wrong, but that's not what I'm saying.

Last edited:
But it is indeed the best console launch lineup PlayStation has ever had, that is a fact. And another fact is that xbox orientated people are trying to spread their "We sadly have a weak launch" onto the ps-5.

PlayStation has 5 first party titles for launch. Which is more than they even had in 2018 or 2017. So yes, Sony prepared themselves for this launch and it's therefore the best launch a PlayStation console has ever had.
I get that they have 5 first party titles, but 2 are cross gen, one is available on PC, and one we know very little about. I have a PS4 Pro and gaming PC so to me the only games I can't play with a PS5 are Demons Souls and Destruction Allstars. This doesn't say must buy. Now if I didn't have a PS4 then it might be different, but my guess is most PS5 buyers have a PS4. As bad as the XSX lineup? no. Best Eva? no.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I get that they have 5 first party titles, but 2 are cross gen, one is available on PC, and one we know very little about. I have a PS4 Pro and gaming PC so to me the only games I can't play with a PS5 are Demons Souls and Destruction Allstars. This doesn't say must buy. Now if I didn't have a PS4 then it might be different, but my guess is most PS5 buyers have a PS4. As bad as the XSX lineup? no. Best Eva? no.
Please show me a better PlayStation launch lineup. Miles Morales was made cross-gen last minute.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
MS have really blown it for me. Between the poor launch titles and their insistence to make me play cross-platform with PC hackers I've gone from day one to day none.

Regardless of exclusives... I still have a shitload of games I have to finish and I want to play them better on the SX. Dudes acting like you'll play the the console once... This shit has 10 years ahead of it.

MarkMe2525

Please show me a better PlayStation launch lineup. Miles Morales was made cross-gen last minute.
Sony's vice president (Simon Rutter) originally called "Miles Morales" an expansion, Insomniac then clarified and said it would be a stand-alone product. Why would Sony's VP have it in his mind that it was an expansion? Most likely it started off as such, much like Halo odst, and then switched gears. This points to the game being developed on ps4 at minimum concurrently with ps5. Has there been any quotations from anyone at Sony that backs up your claim? I don't mind being proven wrong.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No it isn't. It's from the horses mouth themselves. That is not the direction they are going.

Now you can argue that strategy is wrong, but that's the strategy. It's fact

How is it wrong? Microsoft said it themselves. They are not relying of exclusives. Period.

You can argue the strategy is wrong, but that's not what I'm saying.

When did they directly say they didn't need exclusive games? Its been one of the cornerstones of thier promotion of game pass was day and date xbox studios games on game pass.

Also if you want to sell consoles, you need exclusive games, we know that, they know that, and they just spent 7.5 billion to back that up.

sixamp

Both the Xbox and ps5 launch lines are terrible. I bought both systems, demon souls for ps5 and I already have game pass. Even though most of the stuff on game pass is last gen stuff there's alot I haven't played so I prefer what I could play on the series x over the ps5's lineup but neither have ANYTHING that justifies buying them

sixamp

Playstation has nothing spectacular either. Their launch lineup is a c*nt hair better than xbxsx

Edgelord79

Gold Member
When did they directly say they didn't need exclusive games? Its been one of the cornerstones of thier promotion of game pass was day and date xbox studios games on game pass.

Also if you want to sell consoles, you need exclusive games, we know that, they know that, and they just spent 7.5 billion to back that up.
I didn't say they didn't need them. I said it's wasn't "expected" nor "required*.

Phil basically said as much.

https://wccftech.com/spencer-on-why...es-were-putting-the-player-at-the-center/amp/

In fact he's repeated basically the same thing over and over again. There is a certain group of people though that for whatever reason refuse to hear it.

Also, they spent 7.5 billion on Zenimax for Gamepass not the console as the primary focus. That's on PC and Xbox and soon the cloud (like Stadia). The xbox hardware is so small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. If they don't sell a lot of consoles it won't matter. They have PC and the cloud. Hey if it helps sell xbox as a secondary focus, sure

Remember, Microsoft is about software and delivery. Hardware is secondary.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Sony's vice president (Simon Rutter) originally called "Miles Morales" an expansion, Insomniac then clarified and said it would be a stand-alone product. Why would Sony's VP have it in his mind that it was an expansion? Most likely it started off as such, much like Halo odst, and then switched gears. This points to the game being developed on ps4 at minimum concurrently with ps5. Has there been any quotations from anyone at Sony that backs up your claim? I don't mind being proven wrong.
the fact they announced the game at the future of gaming event where they said they believed in generations. they knew what they were doing. they made miles morale and horizon cross gen at the last minute because they needed to make up for the loss they're taking with ps-5

MarkMe2525

the fact they announced the game at the future of gaming event where they said they believed in generations. they knew what they were doing. they made miles morale and horizon cross gen at the last minute because they needed to make up for the loss they're taking with ps-5
So you're just guessing and stating your claims as fact? I seriously thought you had a legitimate reason to use that claim as a refute to N NoMoChokeSJ . What's even the point?

Grinchy

Banned
The fact that I’m trying to get either a ps5 or xbxsx at launch just for a slightly better (for now) version of cyberpunk2077 tell me how much anticipation have for these new consoles.
It really just tells us your specific tastes. Another guy is only going to play Destiny 2 (lol).

That doesn't mean the launches are bad, it just means everyone has different tastes. For many, the PS5 launch is strong as hell.

Eric187

Banned
It really just tells us your specific tastes. Another guy is only going to play Destiny 2 (lol).

That doesn't mean the launches are bad, it just means everyone has different tastes. For many, the PS5 launch is strong as hell.
Ok I guess my point is none of these launch games will be anywhere near as impressive a game as cyberpunk 2077.
Same thing happened in 2013. Got pumped for my Xbox one on launch day and played through a bunch of games like Ryse and dead rising 3 but then realized wow GTA5 on my ps3 was far superior. Point is most launch games ain’t really that spectacular anymore.

Based on CDPR's past games I'll probably like Demon's Souls more than Cyberpunk but I'm still more hyped for Cyberpunk because it's a newer, fresher experience. That said it won't get a next-gen upgrade until 2021 so part of me feels like I should put it on the back burner all the same. PS5 has a pretty standard launch line-up for me, one exclusive I want, a few more I'll only play when they hit PS+. Not sure what Series X has I can't play on the PS5, though? Assuming I can manage to snag either console by launch day (probably not) I might just get whatever is available to me because my PC isn't doing so hot at the moment, not sure what's wrong but some parts are definitely old enough to be failing me. If I enter a store and they're all out of PS5 but have a Series X, I'd probably grab it, if they have both... PS5... and possibly Series X in 2021, as opposed to definitely PS5 if I get Series X first. S I'm not interested in at all. Either would be before a PC upgrade because too much of it requires upgrades to the point where I'm better off building from scratch and don't anticipate having the money for that soon, even if I can get any money for the parts that are still good.

Lemme see...

Demon's Souls - HYPE
Cyberpunk - HYPE
Destiny 2 DLC - HYPE
Watch Dogs 3 - Don't care, but will play eventually when cheap/free
AC Valhalla - Don't care, but will play eventually when cheap/free
CoD - Don't care, but will play eventually when cheap/free
Sackboy - Don't Care
Destruction All-Stars - Don't care
Spider-Man MM - Care a little bit, not sure how much
Bugsnax - Pay me to play this and I might
Godfall - Don't care, will play when free
The Patheless - Don't care
DMC V - Don't care
Borderlands 3 - Deep discount
Fortnite - LOL
Observer - already have it on PC
NBA - LOL
Dirt 5 - don't care
Bright Memory - not full price
Avengers - for 5 bucks maybe
Tetris Effect - When free
The Falconeer - don't care
Yakuza - don't care
Gears 5 - didn't enjoy this game, as archaic as ever
Gears Tactics - XCOM light might be fun
Forza 4 - don't care
Sea of Thieves - don't care
Ori 2 - will play eventually

I see you received a tag from the moderators for your unbiased takes on console technology and software. I'm going to be crying by the window lamenting the launch lineups as I spend 30 hours in Cyberpunk followed up by Yakuza with some NBA2K21 and Gears Tactics sprinkled in between. Life will be so hard...

supernova8

Banned
If you consider the sales ratio of the PS3:360 and compare it to the PS4:XB1, you could kinda say anyone who was going to switch over to Playstation from Xbox has already done so and therefore is kind of a lost cause for MS. If Microsoft is content with its Game Pass subscription numbers even after being pummeled by PS4 then..........

What I'm trying to say is even if Microsoft rushed out a load of exclusives that weren't really finished, I doubt it would affect their launch performance anyway (people who want an Xbox will buy it regardless, people who dont really want one won't buy it even if they did put out Halo Infinite). I think it was someone from Nintendo who said something like it's better to delay a game until it's good than to rush it out and piss people off.

Maybe (just maybe!) we'll get a blowout from Xbox Game Studios in the next 2 years, and we can all chuckle and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

No Knack means you are wrong.

If you consider the sales ratio of the PS3:360 and compare it to the PS4:XB1, you could kinda say anyone who was going to switch over to Playstation from Xbox has already done so and therefore is kind of a lost cause for MS. If Microsoft is content with its Game Pass subscription numbers even after being pummeled by PS4 then..........

What I'm trying to say is even if Microsoft rushed out a load of exclusives that weren't really finished, I doubt it would affect their launch performance anyway (people who want an Xbox will buy it regardless, people who dont really want one won't buy it even if they did put out Halo Infinite). I think it was someone from Nintendo who said something like it's better to delay a game until it's good than to rush it out and piss people off.

Maybe (just maybe!) we'll get a blowout from Xbox Game Studios in the next 2 years, and we can all chuckle and wonder what all the fuss was about.

With the recent acquisitions that MS has made we should get a blowout of amazing exclusives in the next 2 years.

MS knows they will get beat by Sony again when it comes to exclusives in the beginning of this gen. That’s why they are mainly focusing on games pass and xcloud because they are using that to stay a float until the exclusive titles are ready.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the Xbox lineup but I look at it as the most powerful Xbox that has a great library spanning its generations. I am not getting it for what is coming out now I am getting it for what has already been released but updated and fast.

TimFL

Tetris Effect? A slightly modified Tetris Effect that came out for PS4 years ago?
No, it‘s an entirely new game according to the article.

FranXico

No, it‘s an entirely new game according to the article.

According to xbox.com? LOL
That's like trusting the playstation blog to tell you all the platforms games are released on.

Hudo

Oh trust me when you start bringing up PS2/PS1 days of titles, I'm with you brother. I have a fatty PS2 og ps1 and slim models. But I would have to disagree on Microsoft. Saying they set the bar for racing games is to me not saying much. ESPECIALLY when they literally had multiple entries and spin offs. There are a lot of great racers out there. Maybe interms of content they set the bar for sure..

But it's a racing game, the amount of work done on a racing game is not the same as having to mo-cap and free animate different character's, creatures and landscapes. Microsoft needs to show that their new direction with their studios is worth our time. At this point all they have done is buy a big third party publisher who was kind of already looking to be bought because release wise they were not doing so hot. When it came to financials their biggest money maker for the past gen was fallout.

Microsoft have to prove they are creative and can collaborate with others to make new IP's. So far all they have done is buy their library.

Sony does this too, but I would argue they do more collaboration with their exclusive partners over the course of many gens. And have a better history with those JRPG's creators than Microsoft.
Well, if we now start to argue that racing games aren't "as complex and work intensive" as a Last of Us 2, then we'll to trap ourselves into a fallacy. Racing games require a lot of work as well, just on different fronts. I could construct the same argument about linear, cinematic third-person games like Last of Us 2 or God of War and their work required. But I know I would do the devs a huge disservice. They are very complex projects, just like racing games, that require more work on different fronts. Just as an Apex Legends requires more work on a different front than both racing games or cinematic action games require, or just as an Age of Empires IV requires more work on different fronts than any of the aforementioned games.

And as you already mentioned, Sony have to prove the exact same thing as Microsoft. They're essentially buying their "exclusives" (which are, thank god, often temporary) just as Microsoft have bought studios. I'd love for both Sony and Microsoft to do away with third-party deals and focus on their first party stuff but I already have said that.

Top Bottom