• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku studio working on a new franchise

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Speaking to Famitsu (as transcribed by ryokutya), studio director Masayoshi Yokoyama reportedly revealed that the studio is currently planning a game separate from the Yakuza or Judgment series.

“We’re also working on unannounced titles outside of [Yakuza and Judgment],” he said.

While a sequel to Yakuza: Like A Dragon has already been confirmed, the future of the Judgement franchise is in doubt after an alleged dispute with lead actor Takuya Kimura’s talent agency.

Source:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Highly underrated studio especially regarding the Judgment series. Seems like I won't see another one but at least Yakuza 8 is coming and I am excited for whatever stuff they're making. Judgment was my goty when it came and Lost Judgment is my goty this year so I have high hopes.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean essentially with the issues with Judgements MC bassicaly derailing the chance for the Series to appear on PC I suspect they will need to start from scratch with a new character to keep the combat style alive.

Looking forward to seeing whatever it is they come up with.

I wonder if they will let Yakuza rest for a bit now that Nagoshi is gone. Obviously they will still want to make them, but maybe they are giving themselves some breathing room and not setting themselves up to instantly have the game compared to the recent ones.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I wonder if they will let Yakuza rest for a bit now that Nagoshi is gone. Obviously they will still want to make them, but maybe they are giving themselves some breathing room and not setting themselves up to instantly have the game compared to the recent ones.

Nop, Ichiban's arc just started and they're already working in Yakuza 8.

Actually the main director for Yakuza 7 was already a different one - Ryosuke Horii.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Replacement for judgement whilst getting that image rights issues sorted or they just going to drop the actor?

Honestly I kind of hope they continue Judgement with Takuya Kimura, because he really excels as Yagami. Plus the series shouldn't and doesn't deserve to be buried like this.

The problem here is that he is an enormous deal in Japan, and because of PC mods his agency doesn't want to take the risk in damaging his public image. It's understandable to be honest, what isn't understandable is how Sega didn't thought of these potential issues.

They could pull of an Insomniac and change main leads face like they did for Spider-man for the series to continue, but I don't know...I have trouble with random plastic surgeries out of the blue, even more in this case because Ryu Ga Gotoku creates such believable characters, and we're already down with two games in the series.

Let's hope they can reach a mid term that some how enables the series to come to PC and continue living on.

Last edited:

Osaka_Boss

Maybe they will head the new Jet Set Radio development? Didn't SEGA just rehire the JSR artist?

Vf6 under RGG is of a higher chance as Am2 is just a name at this point. They are not working on Hatsune Miku anyway

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

Their last big, new IP , Binary Domain, was a masterpiece, one of the best games of all time.
(I am talking about completely new IP, in a new world, not Judgement).
I am looking forward to see what they have for us.

Top Bottom