• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryzen 5000 CPUs Drop In Price as Ryzen 7000 approaches

winjer

Gold Member

If you need a CPU upgrade and do not want to invest in an entirely new ecosystem with Ryzen 7000, now might be a good time to consider it.

Ryzen 7000 will be here in a couple of weeks' time, and we noticed Ryzen 5000 CPUs have begun to see significant price reductions. Ryzen 7000 CPUs will undoubtedly beat their predecessors; the Ryzen 5000s will be more affordable for most gamers who don't feel the need to move to the AM5 platform (mobo/DDR5) just yet.

An AM4 platform will be less expensive is its compatibility with DDR4 memory, which are significantly less expensive than DDR5. Furthermore, AM4 motherboards are substantially less expensive, with costs ranging from $50 to $500, whereas AM5 motherboards start at $150 in the United States.

AMD Ryzen 5000 CPU pricing; These are currently global prices, not domestic, we'll see a great decrease, such as the Ryzen 9 5950X, which was priced at USD 799.99 at launch and is now priced at USD 499.99. That's a fantastic price for a 16-core CPU, but if you want to save money while getting a lot of performance cores, the Ryzen 9 5900X with 12 cores is only $349.99. In fact, it's less expensive than the Ryzen 7 5800X3D, which is $379.99.

In addition, the Ryzen 7 5800X can be purchased for $239.99, while the 6-core Ryzen 5 5600X can be acquired at $179.99. This plan by AMD to clear stock of the Ryzen 5000 might be problematic in the near run, as it would only sell prior generation hardware instead of its most sophisticated product by making such platform so appealing.

In the EU prices seem to be a notch higher still. However, a 5800X can be spotted in the 265 EUR range, and the 5950X sist at the 535 EUR marker.

ModelMsrp ModelPrice
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X$699AMD Ryzen 9 5950X$549
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X$549AMD Ryzen 9 5900X$379
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X$399AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D$384
AMD Ryzen 5 7600X$299AMD Ryzen 7 5800X$245
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X$194

Might be a good time to do a cheap upgrade, for those with older Zen CPUs.

Ellery

Might snipe that 5800X3D when 7000 series launches. Depends on the actual price, but the 5800X3D would be the best possible gaming CPU on that platform.

Still not sure what I'd really need that performance for

Kuranghi

Might snipe that 5800X3D when 7000 series launches. Depends on the actual price, but the 5800X3D would be the best possible gaming CPU on that platform.

I'm getting an overkill CPU purely so I can render a single JPEG-2000 encoded 200GB video file in real-time (I cant GPU-accelerate it without paying thousands for a professional codec license).... and get 60fps in towns in the next Assassin's Creed game.

GreatnessRD

Do it. It's such a great chip. I got mine for $374+taxes a month ago from Microcenter. It appears it'll only get even lower.

Mister Wolf

If you're still happy with you AM4 board like I am you should definitely buy a 5800X3D. I don't regret buying mine. Moving forward I will only buy the 3D variants of their processors. A lot of people overlook the fact that raytracing is CPU intensive.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If you're still happy with you AM4 board like I am you should definitely buy a 5800X3D. I don't regret buying mine. Moving forward I will only buy the 3D variants of their processors. A lot of people overlook the fact that raytracing is CPU intensive.
I have the 5900x but I think I'm leaning your way. I will wait until the 3D variant of the 7xxx series hits as I've seen too much on it to not want to take the plunge then.

Maybe prices on boards and DDR5 will be better by then too.

small_law

My 5950X has been a gem and that's a good price for it, but I'd honestly spend the 200 bucks and get the higher clocks on the 7950X. Squeezing 5 GHz out of the 5950X with PBO has been a chore, but that's probably more to do with my dumb decision to spend way too much on a motherboard that hasn't performed as well as I expected.

Two pieces of advice: if this is your first romp in AMD land, definitely consider an Asus board with dynamic switching between PBO and OC. That's going to make your life a lot easier. Also, I've heard rumors that 3D cache is coming for these chips, so waiting until mid cycle if you can isn't a terrible idea.

small_law

I have the 5900x but I think I'm leaning your way. I will wait until the 3D variant of the 7xxx series hits as I've seen too much on it to not want to take the plunge then.

Maybe prices on boards and DDR5 will be better by then too.
DDR5 timings will be too. That's what's keeping me away from upgrading anything at the moment. Those are going to get way better in the next year or two.

Last edited:

Vindicator

5800X3D is really tempting but gonna stick to my 3700x for now, not running any OC stuff, the rig is mainly a Destiny 2 machine anyway.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I will be going for one last hurrah on the AM4 platform. So my next CPU is going to be 5800X3D.

Right now I am still happy with my Ryzen 7 3700X setup with my Sapphire RX 5700 XT and 32 gigs of DDR4 ram.

Once I go the next step and get a 5800X3D I will need to carefully consider what graphics card to pair it with. What is AMD's track record of disconuing CPUs? Does anyone forsee the 5800X3D disappering from the market within the next year or two?

I think $250 would be the sweet spot for a 5800X3D. I just don't want to wait too long where it gets discontinued. I am hopeful that the 5800X3D gets a Nov/Dec discount for black Friday or Christmas deals at my local Microcenter.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Still too expensive. I miss the days when CPUs didnt cost as much as mid range GPUs.

Id say $250 is the max you should be spending on a CPU. And while the 4.7 GHz 8 core 16 thread 5800x should run every next gen game without any issues, id just wait for the 12 core 24 thread CPUs to drop down to $250 just in the off chance someone decides to push CPUs and for the first time in 15 years, the CPU becomes the bottleneck again. Consoles have 8 core and 16 threads at a much lower clockspeed and with 1/4th the L3 cache limiting performance, but the idea of a PC is to run everything on consoles at a minimum 2x the framerate and maybe 2x the resolution. Id not risk settling for an 8 core 16 thread CPU.

SantaC

Still too expensive. I miss the days when CPUs didnt cost as much as mid range GPUs.

Id say $250 is the max you should be spending on a CPU. And while the 4.7 GHz 8 core 16 thread 5800x should run every next gen game without any issues, id just wait for the 12 core 24 thread CPUs to drop down to $250 just in the off chance someone decides to push CPUs and for the first time in 15 years, the CPU becomes the bottleneck again. Consoles have 8 core and 16 threads at a much lower clockspeed and with 1/4th the L3 cache limiting performance, but the idea of a PC is to run everything on consoles at a minimum 2x the framerate and maybe 2x the resolution. Id not risk settling for an 8 core 16 thread CPU.
Highend cpus has always been expensive....

TIGERCOOL

for anyone on a 3000 series cpu considering a 5800x3d; my upgrade from the 3600 felt as significant as my gpu upgrade (2070>3080 12gb). If you have an nvidia card dlss makes your cpu a factor no matter what your native res is. expected the 1% low bump, but the average fps bump at 1440p has been shocking too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom