• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is getting NFTs (Update: NFTs cancelled due to outcry)

GHG

Gold Member
Hodl
Diamond hands 💎🤚
Stocks only go up
To the moon 🚀🌚

It's stonks darling, not stocks.

the heist GIF

CitizenZ

Banned
I just watched this and its pretty good rant, but also got me to thinking with mod support for STALKER(confirmed) I mean how are they going stop someone copying what someone paid for? What a cluster fuck.

DaGwaphics

NFT aside from regular coin/token ensures that no other same token on a network is same. This technology has it's use, not sure if here, but on the bigger picture as if you want to have unique character for example which no other player has in the game. Than you can deploy it as a NFT and that ensure it. But it has to be generated and loaded through the hash, which isn't exactly hard to do.

Completely unique content that is one-of-a-kind is the only thing I can see that might have some value to a certain subset of gamers. I can see streamers in particular being interested in having a unique character skin, etc.

I just watched this and its pretty good rant, but also got me to thinking with mod support for STALKER(confirmed) I mean how are they going stop someone copying what someone paid for? What a cluster fuck.

That's what I keep telling you guys. It's literally an infinite copy. For anyone to even display the unique NPC on everyone's computers it means that everyone has it. All that is actually unique is the NFT code itself, which is basically nothing.

Even if you are buying a unique character skin, that has to exist on everyone's PC for you to even use it in the game so everyone can see you. All they're doing is restricting access to the skin in game, which they can already do with any items they want in game.

Neilg

I mean how are they going stop someone copying what someone paid for? What a cluster fuck.

They're not and nobody cares about that. The digital asset is irrelevant, what you're trading is the hash. the digital asset linked to it is an arbitrary representation of something meaningless to make it easier to identify.

This is no different from them having an auction to put 3 people in the game, except because NFT's are hot right now and you can potentially sell them later, they think they're going to get people paying more than it's actually worth because they can 'trade' ownership of it.
People expecting to make money off an NFT don't really give a shit that you can mod duplicates in or save a jpg because they're not selling the asset, they're selling the idea that the only 'official' copy of the asset is tied to this string of numbers. Like having a whole bitcoin which is the red bitcoin.

it's extremely fucking dumb and LOL at anyone who tries to say that NFT's have any meaningful value to add to the world. I say this as someone who's made a decent bit of cash trading in speculative crypto. it won't have a lasting effect on anything but financial regulations and I cant wait for the bubble to crash.

wipeout364

It will be interesting to see if one of these companies screws up a contract and then gets slammed with a cease and desist order from one of the NFT owners.

Essentially from my understanding they are selling partial ownership of the game since they are selling in game assets. They likely at some point will have NFT troll companies arise like the current crop of patent troll companies.

It will be interesting to see if one of these companies screws up a contract and then gets slammed with a cease and desist order from one of the NFT owners.

Essentially from my understanding they are selling partial ownership of the game since they are selling in game assets. They likely at some point will have NFT troll companies arise like the current crop of patent troll companies.

You don't own any part of the game.

Last edited:

wipeout364

You don't own any part of the game.
I thought that was the point of NFT. Selling assets from the game that are owned as opposed to access to in game assets which is what we have now with MTX.

If I buy a skin in COD I am paying for access to use that skin. I assumed if they sold it as an NFT then I own the asset and I can resell it and they cannot resell it again without my permission unless it was in the contract: say only 5000 copies or am I completely wrong.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I thought that was the point of NFT. Selling assets from the game that are owned as opposed to access to in game assets which is what we have now with MTX.

That's the sales pitch yes. It's just that the way Ubisoft is doing it, the items are not really unique. They are duplicate items with a unique serial number, obviously there are some people interested in that. But I don't see any value in it, tbh.

You're never getting anything approaching a copyright, or IP through this method. You're literally just paying for the NFT code itself, which sits in a ledger. When they shut down their game that they own, you have nothing but your NFT code linking to an item in a dead game you don't own the rights to.

Zug

I still dont fully understand what NFT's are. I mean i read up on the concept but i dont really know why its desirable to anyone.
Maybe 'I'm just too old for this shit' lol.
NFTs are just the result of using the blockchain technology to artificially create scarcity of digital assets, it's just next level DRMs.
This scarcity is created with the use of (theorically) non reversible asymetric cryptography and a decentralized network using a shitload of energy, in order to ensure very high levels of integrity and non-repudiation, basically, trust.
Trust can be used to create scarcity, scarcity creates value, value creates money.

Welcome to the 21st, old man !

Neilg

If I buy a skin in COD I am paying for access to use that skin. I assumed if they sold it as an NFT then I own the asset and I can resell it and they cannot resell it again without my permission unless it was in the contract: say only 5000 copies or am I completely wrong.

You're wrong - the identifying asset linked to an NFT is completely irrelevant and only exists because it's easier to push a speculative bubble when the code you are trading is linked to something visually recognizable. The linked asset can be duplicated a thousand times and made into however many NFT's you like and it doesn't affect or influence how that asset is used anywhere else.
an NFT is just a string of code much like a single bitcoin is identifiable by a strong of code.

Some people are transferring copyright with an NFT art sale, that's a separate document and you don't need an NFT for that. that's just buying the copyright which was possible since the dawn of legal entities.

Last edited:

Arsic

This doesn’t even feel like a NFT. I mean shit evillore paid a ton of money to obsidian to be a portrait in pillars of eternity didn’t he ?

This is like the next evolution of that . Big backers with big bucks can be in the game. Effects nothing to the rest of us.

Gp1

Ok, my overly liquid monetarily Zoomers...
How does this "new revolutionary metaverse technology" impacts on my single player Stalker 2 gaming?

Ulysses 31

How does this "new revolutionary metaverse technology" impacts on my single player Stalker 2 gaming?
giphy_s.gif

It shouldn't but people seem to think it will. 🤡

Keeping my pre-order till it's confirmed NFTs affect single-player story progress.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: Gp1

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Depends how they will do it.. if thy really have to implement this crap.
If they will have some in-game assets up for NFT sales for big bucks? who cares.
If it's items, drops and loot being sold as NFTs.... then it's game over man

Depends how they will do it.. if thy really have to implement this crap.
If they will have some in-game assets up for NFT sales for big bucks? who cares.
If it's items, drops and loot being sold as NFTs.... then it's game over man
One directly leads to the other. One game at a time.

manfestival

So if in-game assets can be NFTs, could for example Steam product keys be made as NFTs so you could play the game and then sell the product key forward?
That is actually a really cool idea. It would be like selling "used" games. Shame it would never happen. Devs(or steam) would be shooting themselves in the foot

Last edited:

Pantz

Gold Member
I still don't really understand this stuff yet. Should I be mad at it or not?

If things go bad I can always retire from new games and play all the older games without this crap.

John Bilbo

That is actually a really cool idea. It would be like selling "used" games. Shame it would never happen. Devs(or steam) would be shooting themselves in the foot
If they find a way to increase their profits via allowing users to sell their product keys, they will probably do it.

I actually been playing some NFT games already and managed to make money without spending a time. Obviously, it's not a lot of money (around a $100-200 range but still. I just need to get to a certain rank to cash it out, that's the hard part and the players are pretty good lol) either way I am really interested in where this is heading and how it will affect gaming industry. Did not expect this for STALKER 2. Gonna keep an eye now.

Topher

Gold Member
If it sounds like shady bullshit then it probably is. My worry isn't so much the shit they are telling us about, but the shit they are not. Stalker 2 just went from a game that was interested in to a game I don't entirely trust.

Microsoft needs to be asking questions about this as well as they are promoting this game for Game Pass.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I still don't really understand this stuff yet. Should I be mad at it or not?

If things go bad I can always retire from new games and play all the older games without this crap.

While this is not going to ruin Stalker 2 per se, what "the Ubisofts" are doing here is to lay a strategy with multiple chess moves ahead in time. Just think about the fact that there's nothing here that couldn't be done without a blockchain.. So there's basically nothing of value here for a classic game customer. The industry is making unbelievable amount of money on MTX already, and this is an opportunity for them to lay an even thicker smoke screen and extract even more money from the curious and the clueless - And to hook them on digital crack for life. This crap is going to be the shitcoins x1000 for the gaming industry.

Last edited:
Remember when fans could be put into the game through winning a free contest or doing something amazing in the community? Or how about when people who were huge fans and ended up passing away were added into various games in some shape or form as a gesture of appreciation and remembrance?

Yeah fuck that, pay us for the privilege. The only limit is how big your bank account is!
Remember when I could just make my own face in Madden 2005? And it was just a gameplay feature? How have FPS games not adopted this feature yet. Instead of all these horrible characters, just let me play as myself and pay for cosmetic items to wear.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Yeah but why is that desirable?. Is it a situation where the 'owner' has like copyright on that knife, and only they can use it or something?.
I mean its cool i suppose, if you care about stuff like that.:pie_confused:

It really doesn't change much, the only tangible advantage is that the company doesn't have to keep a database with everything, and it's up to people to keep it running through decentralized work.

Also, since NFT is a big buzzword at the moment, a lot of people who don't really understand what they are seeing or doing will see the meme reddit magic word and feel more inclined to open the wallet.

This is FUD from the Greta Thunberg types. Especially since the energy needed to run NFTs could be made from renewables. It's a complete non-issue.

This makes no sense whatsoever, and shows you have absolutely no idea how the energy market and infrastructure work.

"Renewable" energy still costs money and resources for production, storage and transfer, the only difference is that it doesn't rely on a very finite fuel that we know is going to run out completely in the next 50 years. Solar panels, wind turbines and many of the main sources of renewable energy still require half a periodic table's worth of critical raw materials to be built and maintained - materials that, if exploited too much, might even run out before oil would at the current rate - some are, like rare earths used in miniaturized electronics. If we had the infrastructure and the desire to replace every single car in the world with an electric car tomorrow, and you dedicated every single gram of lithium present in the entire world to make batteries for them, you would still fall far short on lithium required.

There is no free energy, there are no free resources and and there likely never will be. It's just a matter of "do we want to burn ourselves to death today, or do we want to exploit to exhaustion something else in the meantime and kick the can down the road another 50-100 years, in the hope by then we will have come up with some other stopgap".

Of course some waste, inefficiency and strictly non-necessary energy consumption is going to happen. But the idea that we can and should just waste whatever amounts of energy for whatever reason because "you could in theory produce it in some other way" is absolutely retarded. It's like saying that it's perfectly fine to smash full-force your balls with a hammer, because you could have been using a steel hammer, but instead you have one made of wood.

If it sounds like shady bullshit then it probably is. My worry isn't so much the shit they are telling us about, but the shit they are not. Stalker 2 just went from a game that was interested in to a game I don't entirely trust.

Microsoft needs to be asking questions about this as well as they are promoting this game for Game Pass.
They're selling a way to become an NPC in the game. I don't see it as shady. Many Kickstarter games have done the same (or something similar).

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm not a fan of NFTs, but can't deny that they are the future of video games.

Soon, all games (multiplayer and single player) will have NFTs. This is just the start.

Crazy to think how gaming will be in 10 years. I envision a future where all games are live services, it's all based on subscription models and streaming and all have NFTs.

Crazy times.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
There is no free energy, there are no free resources

Not true. If we mined the moon and astroids for resources, we could build a Dyson sphere around the sun. This would give us all the energy we would need for billions of years.

See. Where there is a problem, there is a solution. Just need to think outside the box.

*Mic drop*

GHG

Gold Member
See all the people who are trying desperately to defend NFTs? Don't ever listen to a word they say. Don't trust them as they are easily duped, gullible, or just maliciously ignorant.

The whole thing is reliant on the greater fool theory.

The ones heavily promoting it and trying to get other people to buy in know what they are doing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The whole thing is reliant on the greater fool theory.

The ones heavily promoting it and trying to get other people to buy in know what they are doing.

Honestly? I could believe this if it wasn't the people who we can clearly see in this thread. They aren't intelligent or know what they are doing. They are the dumbasses who are easily duped.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

ZoukGalaxy

You know where you can put your NFT guys @ devs ? Extra deep in your hole and please suck my toes.

That amaze me that some people still thinks that NFT can be good in a game: Yes, sure jan.gif
Please all monkeys stay calm in line and follow the NFT trend and buy them.

From (I guess I am ?):
"a weak-minded reactionary gamers who know little to nothing will automatically get angry"

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just thought of something: does this mean the game is no longer coming to Steam, because Steam doesn't allow games that contain NFTs?

Or will Steam walk back their stance now that this is (somehow) getting more widespread appeal?

Reizo Ryuu

I still dont fully understand what NFT's are. I mean i read up on the concept but i dont really know why its desirable to anyone.
Maybe 'I'm just too old for this shit' lol.
If you want a simplistic view of it, but can't wrap your head around unique digital ownership, think about ready player one.
In the VR world of ready player one, "NFTs" are basically how you'd actually own shit.

Arsic

The reason this doesn’t feel NFT is because you are just doing a sweepstakes to be in the game. After you win and are placed in you can’t sell a thing. It’s not like if someone were to buy the npc made for you that the devs will then change it for the new owner every time.

If you guys are upset about this then get mad that evilore did NFT with Obsidian to have his face as an avatar in pillars of eternity.

Dumb and cynical but ultimately fairly unobtrusive. It reminds me of like a Kickstarter reward or something.

You won't be saying that in 10 years time when every multiplayer shooter comes with an Elite tier weapons NFT that only the 1% can afford. They fuck you up the arse in real life and now they get to do it in virtual space.

Top Bottom